• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ladies

Suzy Larkin

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
What do you wear after you're done for the day (and have had your shower)? I will be walking in May, having just retired. I am a very light packer and will wear the same outfit day in and day out. Besides my Tevas (to rest my feet) what attire has worked for you?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What do you wear after you're done for the day (and have had your shower)? I will be walking in May, having just retired. I am a very light packer and will wear the same outfit day in and day out. Besides my Tevas (to rest my feet) what attire has worked for you?
I had two different outfits (in my case dresses) that I alternated each day. After my shower I would put on the clean one and wash the one I had worn that day. I wouldn't change again until after my shower the next day.

I had two different outfits (in my case dresses) that I alternated each day. After my shower I would put on the clean one and wash the one I had worn that day. I wouldn't change again until after my shower the next day.
Yup pretty much the same. Feels good to leave the boots in the rack and wear my sandals. I always take a fancy scarf (I have a thing about scarves...) it's lightweight but kind of perks up my post walking outfit.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yup pretty much the same. Feels good to leave the boots in the rack and wear my sandals. I always take a fancy scarf (I have a thing about scarves...) it's lightweight but kind of perks up my post walking outfit.
What was your post walking outfit?

I like to take one pair of hiking pants that snap up into capris. I wear those hiking. Then a pair of light leggings and above knee skirt for after. If warm I don't wear the leggings. I take a long sleeve technical shirt for hiking and a colorful micro fabric workout shirt for after. I also take a light scarf. I'm most comfortable with one hiking outfit and one after outfit. I don't often intermix them but once in awhile I do.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am a natural lightpacker (being VERY small, everything I own weighs little). So I indulged myself having a 3rd tshirt and a pair of shorts that were my "pajamas". I only used them after shower and for sleeping, while during the day I would alternate between the 2 walking shirts with my cargo pants.

The "pajamas" could, however, be used as walking gear in an emergency (heavy rain and no dry shirts ready, for example, or super-hot day that requires shorts). It did not happen, but if it did, that's what I would do.

The next day's clothes.

Because you cannot be sure your laundry will complete be dry in the morning, bring two walking sets.

I walk in pants, and for the second day, if pants are still damp, I have my macabi skirt. One of my favourite things about these skirts is putting it on while still damp because I can pull it on without it sticking to my skin like pants do.

Yep, whatever was clean. In addition to my walking clothes, I had a pair of yoga pants and a tank - sometimes I wore those in the afternoon/evening and sometimes walking clothes. If it was hot, most likely my walking shorts and tank. If it was cold, yoga pants or hiking pants with my long sleeve walking shirt.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wear whatever parts of your wardrobe (which was planned to provide suitable layers for different weather) are not being washed and dried at the time. On various occasions I have worn my rain pants and on at least one occasion, my long johns as evening attire. I have some new merino wool sweatpants that will become my evening wear on my next camino. Then I am all ready for bed before I go out to dinner. :)

At the risk of wrath for this fellow chiming in.... I believe other pilgrims, beside myself, have worn the same outfit during the day (while walking) and changed into another, the same each day, for the evening. While I have not researched this :)oops: ) among the ladies I have encountered, my pictures confirm my belief.... Every few days my walking clothes got a good wash!

We are walking in May, thinking I will have yoga pant and a Capri pants,quick dry top plus teva's. As long as I can get out of the hiking gear I not rely care. Will be walking in exercise pants as I can't locate plus size hiking pants that can be sent to Aus.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
(Spring and autumn walker here!)

Same trousers as in the daytime, unless they're very muddy or wet, clean underpants, socks, t-shirt. Unless I've been walking very fast, clean bra every 2 days. Fleece jacket and nice scarf if it's cold; thin silk overshirt (worn as sun protection on sunny days) if not. T-shirt, long underwear, silk shirt, fleece jacket, scarf and raincoat if it's really cold and the albergue is unheated - I look like the Michelin man, but I'm nice and warm.

I generally walk with my husband, and we have long underwear for sleepwear, and one pair of lightweight (synthetic silk) trousers that we can both wear for the days when someone needs to wash their muddy trousers. Also good when everything is wet at the same time - then we'll wear the long underwear around the albergue, and the person going out to buy food wears the silk trousers.

I wear one (fast-drying) t-shirt and carry 2, which means I don't have to do laundry every single day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have 2 complete sets of clothes plus spare undies socks and shirt. Wear one set, carry the other and keep the spare shirt aside for 'best', whether evening or when others are not dry. Also then possible to skip a wash if conditions make it difficult on any particular day.

I have gone with the two sets of clothes. Wear one, wash one. But I now pack a merino wool skirt that I wear after I shower. I am a skirt kinda girl and I often wear it to sleep in as at home I sleep in a nightgown and for me it is just comfortable.

Hmmm I was thinking base layer tights and a loose light weight shirt for the evenings apart from the two sets of hiking clothing to alternate. Also how do you not sweat so much in your next day hiking clothes at night? <---------- feeling a bit bamboozled haha... Does no-one wear pjamas at night?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Tina-Marie Brownie in hot weather I take a lightweight cotton nightdress (old and soft) and put that on at bedtime. The clothes I've been wearing during the evening I pull on the next morning. I used to keep them in a bundle at the top of the bunk but now as a bed-bug precaution I slip them into a small dry bag. Modestly getting out of and into clothes in a mixed albergue is reminiscent of Mr Bean.

I took two set of pants and shirts depending on weather (done it twice), plus an Icebreaker short sleeve shirt (that was either PJs, shirt for walking or in evenings, thermal, etc depending on weather, etc.) Each day's walking: wore one pair pants for a few days in a row until they needed a wash. After shower, I put on the cleaner pair of pants. Then when needed, I'd wash the walking pants, and swap their role. In the evening I'd have had my shower so was clean, only have them on for a few hours while eating dinner, so they didn't get dirty during this time. Doing this allowed me less washing & drying time out of my day, sometimes with no line space, and I could ensure undies (took 3 pair: 1 pair on, 1 wet... but drying, 1 dry) and socks washed daily. Lightweight scarf added, made me feel dressed up.
P.S. PJs were light singlet (also good as base layer in day if cold), and lightweight cutdown pair of old PJ summer pants to PJ 'shorts'

Last edited:
It's about thinking of multiple roles for minimum clothes. Everyone else will be doing the same, so no one notices if you wear the same clothes day after day. By chance I had different coloured pants and shirts so from a 'photoshoot' perspective LOL, at least I could mix it up a bit.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hmmm I was thinking base layer tights and a loose light weight shirt for the evenings apart from the two sets of hiking clothing to alternate. Also how do you not sweat so much in your next day hiking clothes at night? <---------- feeling a bit bamboozled haha... Does no-one wear pjamas at night?
I take an ultra thin pair of longjohns and similar long sleeve T shirt - total weight of these is 140gms. They serve for night wear and as an extra layer during a cold evening. My rule on this is 'if it does 2 jobs it is worth carrying'. For a cold weather camino maybe 2 sets of these for washing/drying needs would be needed.
Other alternatives are pants (briefs) and strappy vest (combined weight approx 70gms) or briefs and short sleeved T-shirt (approx 140gms). These were all made by Rohan UK but many items I have are now discontinued :(

I'm planning a 80 day/1000 mile camino this summer. It will be long, and hot (but maybe cold in the evenings in mountainous parts?). I'm wrestling with my clothing system - trying to keep it lightweight and versatile, multipurpose, sun protective, temperature range appropriate, and long-lasting (80 days will put some serious wear on things, and I'd rather not rely on replacing items in Spain for reasons of limited options with regard to cost, weight, fit, pickiness on technical aspects, etc.)

My current thoughts:
2 skirts (Patagonia Seabrook)
3 tech shirts (2 short sleeve, 1 long sleeve cooling)
3 undies (6" boyshorts for skirt hiker anti-chafing)
3 bras
3 prs socks (lightweight trailrunning)

Will probably wear long sleeve tech shirt most hiking days, and wash it nightly or semi-nightly (it is antimicrobial & quick dry)
Will wear 1 skirt day & night, so it stays out of pack while "dirty" - then wash & swap it out every 7-10 days
Will rotate/wash boyshorts/bras/socks daily, changing after shower into the ones I'll wear the next day
Will wear short sleeve tech shirts evenings after shower, wash as needed
Will sleep in boyshorts & short sleeve tech shirt I wore that evening
Short sleeve tech shirts can also be worn in day for hiking, as needed or desired

I'll also have a long underwear set (black, merino, v-neck top) that passes for outerwear - for cool evenings & sleeping as necessary, and a lightweight fleece hoodie.

That's the current plan, anyway.

Last edited:
@Tina-Marie Brownie in hot weather I take a lightweight cotton nightdress (old and soft) and put that on at bedtime. The clothes I've been wearing during the evening I pull on the next morning. I used to keep them in a bundle at the top of the bunk but now as a bed-bug precaution I slip them into a small dry bag. Modestly getting out of and into clothes in a mixed albergue is reminiscent of Mr Bean.
Thanks Kanga, this is more my style - being menopausal everynight is a hot summer night and I just hate the thought of walking in sweaty clothes before the day has begun :eek:

I never slept in my walking clothes either. I had lightweight shorts and tee to wear for sleeping. If it was chilly (usually wasn't), I wore my yoga pants and fleece.

I've not done this before, but I think I will in May...what a good idea!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I sleep in my long underwear and long-sleeved t-shirt and sometimes socks... Not that i'm ever cold - Being of a certain age I have my own inbuilt heating system...

@fenix If you do happen to have stuff wear out or even lose stuff along the way :eek: if you are in a larger town that has a Decathlon they sell some very affordable and good value tech clothes - In 2013 I visited the one in Burgos (I know you're doing a different camino but a lot of the big towns/cities have them) to replace a t-shirt and buy some smaller bras - I had to dump 2 bras because they got too big and uncomfortable i'd lost so much weight! :D

Wish I'd listened to some of these wise women earlier. First camino I took a set of walking clothes and a set of evening clothes plus a silk tshirt for sleeping. This next camino I'll be dumping the evening clothes and instead taking two sets of walking clothes and adding a pair of silk shorts to the tshirt for sleeping. Hoping this combo will mean it's easier to get clothes dry and be cooler at night as will be able to maintain some level of modesty while throwing off the sleeping sheet because like many others, even in autumn, I found lots of the albergues to be uncomfortably hot.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oops wrong place. I looked at your blog post and found it informative. I'm starting from SJPDP 23 th September and hoping to walk (slowly) to Finis Terre. Will I be be most likely contending with heat or cold at this time?

I take an ultra thin pair of longjohns and similar long sleeve T shirt - total weight of these is 140gms. They serve for night wear and as an extra layer during a cold evening. My rule on this is 'if it does 2 jobs it is worth carrying'. For a cold weather camino maybe 2 sets of these for washing/drying needs would be needed.
Other alternatives are pants (briefs) and strappy vest (combined weight approx 70gms) or briefs and short sleeved T-shirt (approx 140gms). These were all made by Rohan UK but many items I have are now discontinued :(

I'm think of merino longjohn's for late September through to November for the anti odour factor. Is that what you do or polypropylene?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Merino or polypropylene? Advantages and disadvantages of both. Merino can take longer to dry, depending on the weight, and polypropylene can get smelly. I tend to favour merino, because I think it breathes better, but it is a lot more expensive and polypropylene works fine.

Mine were polyester, but apart from a man's long sleeved T-shirt are no longer available. However the information might help with finding something similar. This particular type were quick drying and did not smell, and I don't like merino so was happy to find these at the time

I wore T Shirt type nightdress to sleep in. Evening wear (ha ha) as other's have said I just wore a spare set of walking clothes.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would not worry too much about what to wear after walking. You will be grateful to have a bed, washed clothes and some good food. You might want to take a very light weight top or dress to wear when you get into a city and would like to go out, or to wear at the end of the trip. Something that will work with leggings is a good thing. I noticed that some people sent clothes on to Santiago so they would have something nice to wear for the return trip home.

Oh, sweet memories. After walking I took a shower and dressed into a long sleeves shirt of marino wool and legging also marino wool. A tiny skirt above. It felt like being dressed. Going to sleep I only took of the skirt. Early May I needed the long sleeves and legs to keep my muscles warm. When temperature raise during the weeks I slept in a spare walking shirt and light weigth short. I brought 2 other t-shirts and 2 bra's and 2 walking trousers. One set wearing and one set for next day. Washing the set after showering if it was possible to dry in the wind. It mostly was. I never felt unclean in 6 weeks and proudly traveled home in my walking clothes.
Buen Camino!

I walked late May to early July.

I took a pair of capris and a t shirt and loved having only one outfit to think about.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One walking outfit (quick dry pants & shirt, 3 pr sock s) and one other (afternoon & sleeping) outfit consisting of colourful marino T shirt, silk capris (used for sleeping, also handy as long underwear if cold), and light elastic-waste long skirt. At bedtime, just loose the skirt and you're set. Very light. Most important is the 3 pr socks ~ clean in morning, change at noon, reserve third for next morning and pin your washed but not yet dry pairs to outside of pack. No blister problems. Buen Camino

I took rest days in the larger cities and was happy I had brought a lightweight, collared, buttoned shirt to wear. It was nice to walk around in 'real clothes' rather in my hiking t-shirt.

Just two sets of walking clothes. Wash them each evening, sleep in the others. We walked in winter and our clothes always dried overnight on the heaters (which usually turned off about 10 pm!) Keep it simple and light. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are walking in May, thinking I will have yoga pant and a Capri pants,quick dry top plus teva's. As long as I can get out of the hiking gear I not rely care. Will be walking in exercise pants as I can't locate plus size hiking pants that can be sent to Aus.

I walked in bike shorts & Tshirt my first Camino I took 2 pair and I had a pair of pants and Tshirt for after. However, as a larger woman, I felt uncomfortable in the churches and some of the villages in just bike shorts so for my second Camino I wore a light short skirt overtop.

I usually have 2 shorts and 1 pants and three shirts. 1 outfit for each hiking, after and sleeping. The key however is to make sure the clothes are interchangeable.

This Camino (a winter one) I didn't follow my own advice I brought a pair of heavy hiking pants, a long skirt for evening to wear over leggings if necessary and shorts for sleeping. I got to San Sebastián and it was 20 degrees. I walked in the shorts and couldn't sleep in the hiking pants and my system fell apart. I have since adjusted. The temperature has gone down a bit and we shall see how it goes. (Sorry started rambling there)

I'm walking the Primitivo in mid May. I'm taking 1 convertible nylon pants (zips off into shorts) and 1 Purple Rain hiking skirt. Both work for day and evenings. 2 Tech t-shirts that are functional and pretty enough to wear in the evening, and 1 long sleeve collared hiking shirt (also convertible to short sleeves) that can also be used for an evening out. I have a pair of 150 gr Tevas that I was going to take for after walking. Not fancy, just flip flops. Of course I wouldn't wear those to a nice restaurant but I have no plans to stop at any during the Camino. Saving that for afterwards when I pick up the rest of the stuff in Santiago and do the tourist thing for 6 days.
I would definitely not just take 1 set of hiking gear. What if it doesn't dry, or gets a rip? Things happen, right?

I think I have a good plan. Open to feedback, of course.

@fenix If you do happen to have stuff wear out or even lose stuff along the way :eek: if you are in a larger town that has a Decathlon they sell some very affordable and good value tech clothes - In 2013 I visited the one in Burgos (I know you're doing a different camino but a lot of the big towns/cities have them) to replace a t-shirt and buy some smaller bras - I had to dump 2 bras because they got too big and uncomfortable i'd lost so much weight! :D

I had to visit a couple of Decathlons on my northern camino a couple years ago, in Bilbao, and then in Santander. Both me and my partner were having some footwear issues. Honestly, I wasn't impressed. Very big box store, and not very knowledgeable employees. I'm probably just stupid spoiled on my local REI. We finally found a smaller outdoors store in Gijon with actual outdoors oriented employees that helped us out tremendously.

I'm still refining my list, but I think I'd probably take about the same list on a shorter camino - it's all about multipurpose and a system that is lightweight/minimalist, comfortable/convenient, and prepared for all conditions without dragging along too many "what-ifs". Maybe I'd only take 2 bras. But my girls are finicky rebels, and a bra is the one item I would absolutely not risk having to buy on the fly in another country. :D

Well, I don't wear pyjamas, I wear a nightgown. Light, fine cotton, with a fleece jacket if it's chilly. There are some things I just can't do without.

Not a Lady but . . .
I walked with a young German who had a dress/skirt she'd wear in the evenings. Basically a tube of "scrunchable" cloth (ALWAYS looked creased) with an elasticated waist band. Worn at waist level as a long skirt or pulled up to armpit height as an over the knee dress.
Lightweight and easy to pack she said it made her feel a bit more feminine after a day dressed up as one of the Camino Liberation Front (tees and cargo pants). She certainly got jealous looks from other perigrinas.
But hey, what do I know? ;)

............a tube of "scrunchable" cloth (ALWAYS looked creased) with an elasticated waist band. Worn at waist level as a long skirt or pulled up to armpit height as an over the knee dress....
These were fashionable about 25 years ago and easy to buy. When washed they were meant to be twisted and curled up double to put the creases back in. I haven't seen one in years, but fashions do come round so maybe they will re-appear here sometime soon. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
These were fashionable about 25 years ago and easy to buy. When washed they were meant to be twisted and curled up double to put the creases back in. I haven't seen one in years, but fashions do come round so maybe they will re-appear here sometime soon. :)
That's the ones - she used to twist it like a skein of wool.

As I mentioned above, I brought two dresses to walk in. For me, during August and September they were perfect. Very comfortable to walk in, and didn't look like hiking clothes in the evenings. For the first two weeks I also wore them to sleep in, but when I was in Burgos I went to the Decathlon store with some other pilgrims and bought a cotton tank top that I wore for sleeping along with lightweight shorts that I brought to wear under my dress while I was walking for potential thigh rub issues and modesty, because sometimes I'd find myself having to sit on the ground.
I actually got the idea to take dresses when I started thinking about what I like to wear in warm weather and to bed. In the summer I feel cool and comfortable wearing a dress, and I always wear a short nightgown to sleep in. I made the dresses from merino wool, since it is naturally wicking. On cooler days and nights I wore merino wool leggings underneath.

The tube dress sounds good but suspect one would need to be young, slim and lovely to wear it well.
Not a Lady but . . .
I walked with a young German who had a dress/skirt she'd wear in the evenings. Basically a tube of "scrunchable" cloth (ALWAYS looked creased) with an elasticated waist band. Worn at waist level as a long skirt or pulled up to armpit height as an over the knee dress.
Lightweight and easy to pack she said it made her feel a bit more feminine after a day dressed up as one of the Camino Liberation Front (tees and cargo pants). She certainly got jealous looks from other perigrinas.
But hey, what do I know? ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm
As I mentioned above, I brought two dresses to walk in. For me, during August and September they were perfect. Very comfortable to walk in, and didn't look like hiking clothes in the evenings. For the first two weeks I also wore them to sleep in, but when I was in Burgos I went to the Decathlon store with some other pilgrims and bought a cotton tank top that I wore for sleeping along with lightweight shorts that I brought to wear under my dress while I was walking for potential thigh rub issues and modesty, because sometimes I'd find myself having to sit on the ground.
I actually got the idea to take dresses when I started thinking about what I like to wear in warm weather and to bed. In the summer I feel cool and comfortable wearing a dress, and I always wear a short nightgown to sleep in. I made the dresses from merino wool, since it is naturally wicking. On cooler days and nights I wore merino wool leggings underneath.
I also plan to take a merino dress (or two) and merino leggings as either one or both of my outfits starting late September -November from sjpdp to finis Terre (hopefully) I'm undecided if two plus cargo pants and tshirt is too much. I want the dress since I'm in paris for several days pre and post Camino and figured with a very light merino swing cardigan aa layer I will be comfortable as an older woman alone in the cities. Any thoughts. Starting to consider the cold as well as some heat in the early stages.

I'm

I also plan to take a merino dress (or two) and merino leggings as either one or both of my outfits starting late September -November from sjpdp to finis Terre (hopefully) I'm undecided if two plus cargo pants and tshirt is too much. I want the dress since I'm in paris for several days pre and post Camino and figured with a very light merino swing cardigan aa layer I will be comfortable as an older woman alone in the cities. Any thoughts. Starting to consider the cold as well as some heat in the early stages.
It would depend on how much the dresses weigh. Mine come in at less than 6 ounces/170 grams each, and they are comfortable to sleep in, so can do double duty. I'm wearing one of the dresses in my avatar picture here.
The coldest weather I walked in was about 6c, with a cold wind and some drizzle. I was perfectly warm with my dress, the merino leggings, a light merino sweater and a light weight hoodie over that.
Another option would be two tops, hiking pants and one skirt. I just have a thing for dresses, that's why I chose to wear them.

I can't wait to walk with you Kanga!

I am however with you for night comfort as I am not sure I could sleep in next day's clothes as that would include underwear. I can cope with a bra all day, but would prefer to feel more natural at night. Perhaps we can take large scarves/sarongs and hold them up for each other against prying eyes?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I am however with you for night comfort as I am not sure I could sleep in next day's clothes as that would include underwear. I can cope with a bra all day, but would prefer to feel more natural at night. Perhaps we can take large scarves/sarongs and hold them up for each other against prying eyes?
You can remove your bra for sleep, then put it back on in the loo.

It would depend on how much the dresses weigh. Mine come in at less than 6 ounces/170 grams each, and they are comfortable to sleep in, so can do double duty. I'm wearing one of the dresses in my avatar picture here.
The coldest weather I walked in was about 6c, with a cold wind and some drizzle. I was perfectly warm with my dress, the merino leggings, a light merino sweater and a light weight hoodie over that.
Another option would be two tops, hiking pants and one skirt. I just have a thing for dresses, that's why I chose to wear them.
That's useful information. My dresses are from Kathmandu and weigh the same as yours. I had Wondered how they would be on the first days if it was hot.

€83,-

Hey there Tigger, I have got one of those sarongs that is sewn up the sides but would worry about my lady lumps coming out at night lmao :D and there goes my modesty haha - I think I am just going to have to accept that I will carry something ultra light just for sleeping I think.

Boarding school experience is very useful and one of the life long lessons is how to dress and undress with complete modesty in a dormitory!

I will probably take the old nightdress on this camino. Last one I took a merino tank top and wore that at night, with boxers. I think the nightdress is easier because I can use it as a kind of tent and get dressed underneath.

Boarding school experience is very useful and one of the life long lessons is how to dress and undress with complete modesty in a dormitory!
We clearly didn't go to the same boarding school. Our shower were 4 shower heads lined up on a wall with curtains to make four stalls. After 3 days all the curtains were thrown over the supportive railings as they quickly got grimmy. Changing for ballet, same thing: all girls in a large room with chairs all around it, that's it, that's all.

Showers in Lugo even more exposing than those at schools as people in the hallway see right in them as they pass by. :eek: Just pretend you are German for the duration of your Camino and throw caution, at least excessive caution, to the wind.

We clearly didn't go to the same boarding school. Our shower were 4 shower heads lined up on a wall with curtains to make four stalls. After 3 days all the curtains were thrown over the supportive railings as they quickly got grimmy. Changing for ballet, same thing: all girls in a large room with chairs all around it, that's it, that's all.

Showers in Lugo even more exposing than those at schools as people in the hallway see right in them as they pass by. :eek: Just pretend you are German for the duration of your Camino and throw caution, at least excessive caution, to the wind.

I had 2 outfits for walking, but also brought a fleece vest as an additional layer for my spring Caminos. I often would wear the vest in the evening for dinner as it perked up my outfit a little. The vest was in a contrasting colo brighter color.

I will probably take the old nightdress on this camino. Last one I took a merino tank top and wore that at night, with boxers. I think the nightdress is easier because I can use it as a kind of tent and get dressed underneath.
Yes, I have just looked out an old 'grannie' style soft cotton nightie which only weighs 140 grams. In conjunction with my trusty cotton sarong which weighs another 100, I think I have myself and the situation covered. If it is cold I will swing to a layer of merino, though would probably be toastie in the sleeping bag you have lent me.

I definitely recommend bringing something you feel a little more human and nice in for the evenings. I didn't and hated it so much I bought a nice, casual, loose fitting shirt in Logrono. I hiked in running tights and had three pairs.. so wore clean ones in the evening with my shirt most nights.

That's what I do, too! A girly scarf perks up the standard hiking outfit and makes me feel "dressed" up when heading out for dinner! I love to choose one with a pop of new color as it seems to lift my spirits like magic when I tie it around my neck...about the only thing that helps when I'm wearing no makeup or hair products!

I sleep in my next day's clean clothes. I make sure the clothing I bring are rather loose fitting, slightly stretchy if possible and not constrictive, including my bras. After the first night or two I get used to it and after about the third day it feels quite normal. I never have to deal with prying eyes nor haul my stuff into the stalls to dress and undress in private as I only put my clean clothes on in the shower. In the morning I dampen a corner of one of my bandanas to freshen my eyes/face, run a quick comb through my hair and I'm good to go. Easy, peasy!

One of several private accommodations I used on the Primitivo was in Lugo. After what you are saying about their municipal's showering situation, I am really glad I didn't end up there.

That's what I do, too! A girly scarf perks up the standard hiking outfit and makes me feel "dressed" up when heading out for dinner! I love to choose one with a pop of new color as it seems to lift my spirits like magic when I tie it around my neck...about the only thing that helps when I'm wearing no makeup or hair products!
Hi Chris, your reply interests me as I am trying to decide whether I will do my Camino walk, minimalist and' au naturelle' or allow a small element of 'vanity' enter my packing list. There is a very blurred line between maintaining cleanliness and health and then adding some girlie 'vanity'.
Should I count this cost in grams, my sunscreen can be a tinted one for no extra grams, my SPF lipstick and eyeliner weigh 20 grams a light scarf under 50 grams compared to a phone charger that is 70grams.
I will take no jewellery (though I usually wear a heap) but I am pondering on the 'vanity' of adding 'the girlie'. Is it vain that I think I look like a startled rabbit in the headlights (being a natural blonde) without my little bit of eyeliner? ...or should I put aside all vanity for my Camino experience?

Hi Chris, your reply interests me as I am trying to decide whether I will do my Camino walk, minimalist and' au naturelle' or allow a small element of 'vanity' enter my packing list. There is a very blurred line between maintaining cleanliness and health and then adding some girlie 'vanity'.
Should I count this cost in grams, my sunscreen can be a tinted one for no extra grams, my SPF lipstick and eyeliner weigh 20 grams a light scarf under 50 grams compared to a phone charger that is 70grams.
I will take no jewellery (though I usually wear a heap) but I am pondering on the 'vanity' of adding 'the girlie'. Is it vain that I think I look like a startled rabbit in the headlights (being a natural blonde) without my little bit of eyeliner? ...or should I put aside all vanity for my Camino experience?
Hi Tigger,
I think your simple lightweight makeup ideas sound great and combined with a little eyeliner...why not? I think you are already being a minimalist by walking the Camino. How many women do you know that are willing to wear the same two outfits day in and day out for 30+ days? There is no "one" correct answer. I do like your idea of the "2 in 1" tinted sunscreen as that would be the weightiest item. I choose to be more minimalistic as it's just easier, quicker and gets me out of the communal sink/mirror area faster. I also can be a little on the lazy side. ;) I figure if I shower daily with soap then that's my threshold for cleanliness on Camino.

I too, love jewelry. Although I brought none, another gal at the communal dinner table in Roncevalles gave me and 2 other women each a small pair of shell earrings, handmade by her mother. I put them on and never took them off until I got home I was surprised they never irritated my ears... Such neat little Camino memories we have along the way and you will soon have your own stories to tell!

I do actually bring a lightweight older cotton nighty like Kanga mentioned, but I only wear it the few times I stay in private pensions or hotels.

Buen Camino!
Chris

I bring a large, square Liberty scarf of soft wool on every camino. It warms me when I'm cold, both on the camino and in my sleeping bag, disguises that I'm not wearing a bra while the washing is drying, provides darkness when I want to sleep before lights are out, dries my hair wrapped in a turban, gives me shade when I drape it over my hat and shoulders while I'm walking, blows in the wind strapped to my backpack making me more visible when I'm walking along a heavily traficked road and works well as a pad for when my backpack straps and I aren't friends.

And it's really pretty and colourful enough to match just about everything I wear.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I put on tomorrow's clothes.
I wear no makeup.
I cut my hair very short.
FREEDOM!
Like @Anniesantiago - no make up and 'ahh', that Camino Haircut :). Easy for us with shorter styles and it has grown back to a good length by the time I reached Santiago.
Nightwear I prefer my dress/nightie or longjohns and t-shirt, with clean clothes to start walking next day.

Like @Anniesantiago - no make up and 'ahh', that Camino Haircut :). Easy for us with shorter styles and it has grown back to a good length by the time I reached Santiago.
Nightwear I prefer my dress/nightie or longjohns and t-shirt, with clean clothes to start walking next day.
Call me vain, but I am not cutting my 'halfway down my back' hair for any old Camino! I am like the women of the 40's and 50's who permed their hair and had it like that their whole lives and we laughed at the 'blue rinse set' in the 80's and 90's. I was a hippy in the 60's and 70's and I have stayed that way blissfully since. I shove it up in a bun ( sorry chignon :) ) and get on with things like walking a zillion kms. Eyeliner optional!

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back