• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Leaving from Lisbon

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
My delayed Camino Portuguese is now getting closer to fruition. I am trying to stay calm about any new restrictions that might still be in place when I plan to travel in late Apr.

My broad plan is to leave Lisbon on 25 Apr, and shuttle back and forth for a couple of days on the train to keep the distances down.

I will walk to Fatima, before re-joining the CP at Tomar. I haven't made up my mind what route to follow after Porto - there are attractions about all of the variants, and I am reluctant to firm up a choice. It may be a choice for the morning I leave!

While I will be walking alone, I will not be walking as a hermit, and I know I will look forward to walking in the company of other pilgrims from time to time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dougfitz, that’s exactly what we did in 2016, we departed Lisbon on 25th April ( which is Freedom Day in Portugal commemorating the Carnation Revolution) and used the train to split the first stage into two parts, returning by train to Lisbon first day then taking it out again to our finish point the next morning. It worked very well.
We are also hoping to go to Spain in May and hope we will be able to navigate all the requirements etc!
Bom Caminho

Further to @Anne&Pat's point about 25 April, it's the biggest national holiday in Portugal. Covid permitting, there will be a parade down Avenida da Liberdade in Lisbon, so if that's something that interests you, you could delay your start by one day to see it. Otherwise just be aware that shops etc may be closed that day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first few days out of Tomar are lovely, as is the town itself. After the last few days of pounding (mostly) pavements into Porto, you might be glad to spend the next few days on the coastal, boardwalk repairs should be mostly completed by then..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My delayed Camino Portuguese is now getting closer to fruition. I am trying to stay calm about any new restrictions that might still be in place when I plan to travel in late Apr.

My broad plan is to leave Lisbon on 25 Apr, and shuttle back and forth for a couple of days on the train to keep the distances down.

I will walk to Fatima, before re-joining the CP at Tomar. I haven't made up my mind what route to follow after Porto - there are attractions about all of the variants, and I am reluctant to firm up a choice. It may be a choice for the morning I leave!

While I will be walking alone, I will not be walking as a hermit, and I know I will look forward to walking in the company of other pilgrims from time to time.
All going well and covid willing I will be about 10 days behind you.

It has now become very real. I am in Lisbon, taking a day to look around and recover from nearly 40 hours of travel to get from home to where I am staying.

For fellow Aussies, there were no issues on arrival. The airline checked my vaccination certificate and if I had already completed my passenger locator form. Both these were checked on arrival before the immigration gate. I then used the smartgate, but they gave me a Schengen stamp in my passport, perhaps so I don't have any excuse for knowing when the 90 days are getting close.

I had a PCR test result as well, but no-one wanted to see that.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
dougfitz,
Good to know that you now are in Lisbon. Looking forward to following your new journey as you post more updates.
Carpe diem and Bom caminho.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It has now become very real. I am in Lisbon, taking a day to look around and recover from nearly 40 hours of travel to get from home to where I am staying.

For fellow Aussies, there were no issues on arrival. The airline checked my vaccination certificate and if I had already completed my passenger locator form. Both these were checked on arrival before the immigration gate. I then used the smartgate, but they gave me a Schengen stamp in my passport, perhaps so I don't have any excuse for knowing when the 90 days are getting close.

Glad to know you are on terra firma, and safely out of the sight of those who would scrutinise your documents! I had a brief exposure last autumn, and I will not be looking forward to a repeat of the hoops, especially as they seem to be so casual - but, of course, just try to proceed without the essential documentation...
Essential to have them these days. I just wish you well and look forward to reading of your progress.
Buen camino, de verdad! 👣👣

Enjoy Dougfitz! I hope the chair is still there on the way outside Santarem if you need a rest, and if you should find a khaki fleece on a bench in the town square in Azinhaga, it's mine.😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hello dougfitz,
Happy to hear of another Aussie in Lisbon. Can I ask if you flew from Australia via Dubai to Lisbon??
Hoping to walk Lisbon to Finisterre (will be our 5th Camino)
We are booked to leave in a couple of weeks Brisbane to Dubai ( stopover 9 hrs and change of plane and flight number) then onto Lisbon. We will get PCR test done, are triple vaccinated (will have had fourth by then) and will have copies of Australian international vaccination certificate. Consulte in Canberra said we would be able to enter Lisbon with no problems. Doesn’t make me feel any less anxious.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hello dougfitz,
Happy to hear of another Aussie in Lisbon. Can I ask if you flew from Australia via Dubai to Lisbon??
Hoping to walk Lisbon to Finisterre (will be our 5th Camino)
We are booked to leave in a couple of weeks Brisbane to Dubai ( stopover 9 hrs and change of plane and flight number) then onto Lisbon. We will get PCR test done, are triple vaccinated (will have had fourth by then) and will have copies of Australian international vaccination certificate. Consulte in Canberra said we would be able to enter Lisbon with no problems. Doesn’t make me feel any less anxious.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
I flew via Melbourne and Dubai. MEL-DXB was a Qantas/Emirates codeshare on an Emirates aircraft, DXB -LIS was EK/TP codeshare from memory.
There was a slight change to the wording on the Visit Portugal site in early Apr. I still think it's confusing, but my experience was if you had an international vaccination certificate the Portuguese at the entry point didn't bother to look at the test results. I got tested anyhow just in case.
I can't stop you feeling nervous, but based on a couple of us getting into Portugal without any problems, I expect you will be the same.

Enjoy Dougfitz! I hope the chair is still there on the way outside Santarem if you need a rest, and if you should find a khaki fleece on a bench in the town square in Azinhaga, it's mine.😊
I'm planning to walk to Fatima from Santarem, so may not get to see the chair :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Any updates dougfitz?
I got into Fatima yesterday after walking for eight days. It is an anticlimax compared to arriving in Santiago. There were two Polish pilgrims finishing and an Irishman starting on a pilgrimage through Santiago to Lourdes.

I got my 'final' Fatima Sanctuary stamp but there was no other fanfare. Walking pilgrims don't appear to get any special treatment.

I spent two nights in albergues, two nights at Santarem Hostel and the remainder at places arranged on booking.com.

Communicating with albergues was patchy. Several didn't respond to phone calls or emails when there were email addresses provided. WhatsApp was hit and miss as well. Those I did stay at were good.

Private accommodation varied a bit but was generally okay. Prices varied from just over 20€ up to 50€, noting that the 50€ included laundry, fruit, tea and coffee, and a large enough breakfast to make up a lunch pack as well. None of that was included at the lower price.

I am still reflecting on what this leg has meant to me, both as a journey and as a destination. I might share that once I have had more time to think about it.

@dougfitz - where in Lisbon did you get your first stamp?
The Se Patriarcal. I went to the 1130 Sunday Mass, and afterwards spoke to one of the ushers, who arranged someone to do the stamp.

This doesn't appear to be their routine pattern, because the admin booth wasn't open, and the stamp was in the sacristy.

Hope you are travelling well.
How was the Tomar-Porto leg @dougfitz ?
Also, any further thoughts on the Fatima detour?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hope you are travelling well.
How was the Tomar-Porto leg @dougfitz ?
Also, any further thoughts on the Fatima detour?
Thanks for your interest. I had never intended this thread to be a running commentary. If I post it will because there is something to share other than I am progressing slowly but steadily along the route.

I am still five days walking away from Porto. Perhaps I will have something to say about the Tomar to Porto leg then.

On Fatima, it was a destination, albeit so is Santiago. I certainly didn't think of it as a detour. I'm not convinced that I will ever be ready to share my thoughts about it here, either publicly or via PM. If your curiosity was piqued by my earlier remark, I apologize if that led you to expect there would be some more immediate commentary.

I arrived in Santiago today and collected my Compostela and distance certificate without any real fuss. Thank you to all those who have been explaining the process over the past few months - something must have soaked through far enough for me to remember.

I feel privileged to have been able to complete the pilgrimage walks I have done over. Having the resources has been one thing, but having the support of my wife, family and friends, and fellow forum members is just invaluable.

I have to admit my walk into Santiago today was marred somewhat when I got angry about a Spanish woman who tried to take my photo, and then kept yelling at me 'Where are you from? Where are you from?' from what seemed less than a metre away. In all my thinking about staying calm through all the petty annoyances that this last stage might bring, I had never contemplated being yelled at. The rushing and noisy exuberance I was expecting. And young pilgrims filling the air singing along to a collection of songs they were playing on a speaker was tolerable. So I am annoyed with myself now for letting what I felt at the time was quite intimidating behaviour get to me. Please don't fall into that trap, it's really not a great way to finish.
Doug

I arrived in Santiago today and collected my Compostela and distance certificate without any real fuss. Thank you to all those who have been explaining the process over the past few months - something must have soaked through far enough for me to remember.

I feel privileged to have been able to complete the pilgrimage walks I have done over. Having the resources has been one thing, but having the support of my wife, family and friends, and fellow forum members is just invaluable.

I have to admit my walk into Santiago today was marred somewhat when I got angry about a Spanish woman who tried to take my photo, and then kept yelling at me 'Where are you from? Where are you from?' from what seemed less than a metre away. In all my thinking about staying calm through all the petty annoyances that this last stage might bring, I had never contemplated being yelled at. The rushing and noisy exuberance I was expecting. And young pilgrims filling the air singing along to a collection of songs they were playing on a speaker was tolerable. So I am annoyed with myself now for letting what I felt at the time was quite intimidating behaviour get to me. Please don't fall into that trap, it's really not a great way to finish.
Doug

Congratulations on your completion of the Pilgrimage, Doug. Well, done.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well done, Doug, beginning to end!
(Oh well. You lost your cool. But recovered your presence of mind, which is far more important.)

May the rest of your time in Santiago be a joy, and wishing you safe and easy travel home.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@dougfitz Thanks for doing this thread, Doug. I have found it helpful. As you also probably found, information for the section between Santarem and Fatima is very patchy, though I am gradually piecing it together! I note you travelled from Fatima to Tomar, as we also intend to do. Was that section easy enough to follow? And being 30km, did you break it into 2? If so which town did you stay in?
Thanks
Davybhoy

I note you travelled from Fatima to Tomar, as we also intend to do.
I took the bus!
The next day I did a short section of that followed alongside the aqueduct leading to the convent and castle, including walking along the top of the aqueduct where it travels over a valley. Perhaps not something I would have done with a full pack, but well worthwhile with just a day pack. P5046473.JPG

I took the bus!
The next day I did a short section of that followed alongside the aqueduct leading to the convent and castle, including walking along the top of the aqueduct where it travels over a valley. Perhaps not something I would have done with a full pack, but well worthwhile with just a day pack. View attachment 129555
Thanks dougfitz great pic. 6kms long to the Convent !
I have not inspected a lot of Aqueducts but this one has a long & humble beginning but what a magnificent piece of history 😎

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back