• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon Cathedral

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2022
C Portuguese 2023
I’m starting the CP - Central and am looking for details about the Cathedral starting point, like can I get my credential there with a starting validation, are there specific opening hours, if the credential is not available at the cathedral, then where? Any veterans of the CP available to share their experience? Obrigado!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you are walking the Camino Portuguese route, the Igreja de Santiago on the Rua de Santiago is the starting point. It's about 400 m up the road running to the north east from the cathedral. But you will need to collect your first stamp at the Se Catedral de Lisboa. There are opening hours. I hope someone else can help you with that, because I got my credencial stamped after the Sunday Mass, when the normal booth that handles enquiries, etc isn't open. If I hadn't attended Mass, I wouldn't have been allowed into the cathedral, and would have had to wait for it to open the next day.

From memory, the guy who does the stamp starts about 9:30. The desk is on your right as you go in.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just FYI, the cathedral is under some scaffolding at the moment and the entrance is temporarily on the side to the left, rather than at the front. It seems as though it's still business as usual but some things may be disrupted.

If you are walking the Camino Portuguese route, the Igreja de Santiago on the Rua de Santiago is the starting point. It's about 400 m up the road running to the north east from the cathedral. But you will need to collect your first stamp at the Se Catedral de Lisboa. There are opening hours. I hope someone else can help you with that, because I got my credencial stamped after the Sunday Mass, when the normal booth that handles enquiries, etc isn't open. If I hadn't attended Mass, I wouldn't have been allowed into the cathedral, and would have had to wait for it to open the next day.
I spent two days in Lisbon before my camino in 2017. My friend and I got up and went to the cathedral about 10AM. The person at the desk had not arrived yet. We went down the street and had some delicious Portugues coffee and of course some pastels de Nata and went back about an hour later. Got our stamps and walked around the lovely city of Lisbon. I remember when we left from the Santiago Cathedral we couldn't find the arrows. Finally we saw it at the bottom right of the cathedral with the arrow wrapping around the building to walk down the hill.

Thanks all. I finally found a comment about getting the credential from another source. It still is as you all described: the hours are 7 days 9:00 - 19:00. Now that I have the credential, I get to go do the Camino! BTW: After the first day, I never saw another Camino marker after the Church 🙁.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I spent two days in Lisbon before my camino in 2017. My friend and I got up and went to the cathedral about 10AM. The person at the desk had not arrived yet. We went down the street and had some delicious Portugues coffee and of course some pastels de Nata and went back about an hour later. Got our stamps and walked around the lovely city of Lisbon. I remember when we left from the Santiago Cathedral we couldn't find the arrows. Finally we saw it at the bottom right of the cathedral with the arrow wrapping around the building to walk down the hill.
Exactly!
yellow arrow on Se Lisboa.jpg

the hours are 7 days 9:00 - 19:00.
It may have changed since I was there in 2022, but at that time, the visitor booth was open Mon-Sat, but a sello could be obtained before Mass when the cathedral was open, or after it if you had been at Mass. Entry was closed immediately after the midday Mass.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here is the website with all of the information you are looking for. If you open this page in the Google browser, you will have the option to translate to English.

The page is offered in English and French without requiring machine translation. Click/tap the Portuguese flag and choose the flag that corresponds to the language you want.

Thanks all. I finally found a comment about getting the credential from another source. It still is as you all described: the hours are 7 days 9:00 - 19:00. Now that I have the credential, I get to go do the Camino! BTW: After the first day, I never saw another Camino marker after the Church 🙁.
What is this other source? My only day in Lisbon will be a Sunday and the Sé appears to be closed to visitors so not sure where I'll pick up the credencial.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What is this other source? My only day in Lisbon will be a Sunday and the Sé appears to be closed to visitors so not sure where I'll pick up the credencial.
The idea of a cathedral being closed on a Sunday is a strange one 😉. (I'm a Catholic priest.).
There will be Mass and you could go to the sacristy (it's the room in which the priest prepares for Mass but it's a big open room) after or before Mass and I would be surprised (and horrified) if you didn't find someone to give you a sello.

The idea of a cathedral being closed on a Sunday is a strange one 😉. (I'm a Catholic priest.).
There will be Mass and you could go to the sacristy (it's the room in which the priest prepares for Mass but it's a big open room) after or before Mass and I would be surprised (and horrified) if you didn't find someone to give you a sello.
@CPK Having said that I can see that Google tells you the church is closed, but the Se website says Mass at 1130 Sunday and otherwise only Wednesday evening, which is a bit thin. 😉
1130 may be late in the day for you?
And I'm sorrry I see you are looking for credential too, not just a stamp. But if they give credentials during the week, I'd still chance it on Sunday.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And I'm sorrry I see you are looking for credential too, not just a stamp. But if they give credentials during the week, I'd still chance it on Sunday.
I'm not so sure about this. I already had a credencial, but the person stamping it didn't go anywhere near the visitor booth. You might want to contact the cathedral and let them know when you will be there, and they might then be able to ensure there is a credential available in the sacristy as well as the stamp.

I'm not so sure about this. I already had a credencial, but the person stamping it didn't go anywhere near the visitor booth. You might want to contact the cathedral and let them know when you will be there, and they might then be able to ensure there is a credential available in the sacristy as well as the stamp.
I've sent an email to the cathedral and they gave me the same reply as in the link so I'm sure it'll be fine on Sunday. I'll update this post to confirm.

Edit: picked up the credential today (Sunday) from the lady at the door.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back