• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Live from Spain (notice snow in the mountains in the picture)

Wanderingfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
I arrived in Spain yesterday and will take a bus from Bilbao to Burgos (where I am starting) tomorrow. It feels so great being back in Spain. I injured myself in Leon in the fall and had to cut my trip short. Anyway just a couple of observations:

1. It’s cold! I posted in this forum that I was bringing my rain coat and a Packable down jacket. Someone advised me to leave down jacket home and layer. I was layered underneath my down coat and still was a bit nippy. I am glad I folllowed my intuition and brought the coat along. I went to decathlon today and bought a pair of hiking leggings for down to minus 10. So, I have added to my pack! Cardinal sin. My legs were so cold as I walked today. I don’t know if it is unusually cold but the snow on the mountains is definitely more than I have ever seen here.
I had a pair of merino wool hiking leggings and took them out at the last minute. Note to self: You just need some things on the camino! Underpacking isn’t good either.

2. I am so glad I have cushioned three days to get over jet lag (from Canada). I am very jet lagged and feel like I need those days to feel able to get going on Wednesday.

3. I am finding joy is just walking, eating pinxchos, wine and really great coffee.

4. Did I say how much I love Spain?

5. A bus from Bilbao takes you right into the Center of Burgos (near the cathedral. If you take a train, you would need to get a taxi into town.

6. Did I say how much I love Spain!!
Buen Camino

Attachments

• 232A4EC2-0CDA-436F-9129-81A435E06260.jpeg
    232A4EC2-0CDA-436F-9129-81A435E06260.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 225
  • 0698076E-2A44-47BB-9145-AD0891EE7C2A.jpeg
    0698076E-2A44-47BB-9145-AD0891EE7C2A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 211
Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wanderingfriend,
Glad to read that you have arrived in Bilbao. Now you are truly on your way.
Looking forward to reading/seeing more of your journey as you move along.
Stay safe and warm. Enjoy every moment. Buen camino.

I arrived in Spain yesterday and will take a bus from Bilbao to Burgos (where I am starting) tomorrow. It feels so great being back in Spain. I injured myself in Leon in the fall and had to cut my trip short. Anyway just a couple of observations:

1. It’s cold! I posted in this forum that I was bringing my rain coat and a Packable down jacket. Someone advised me to leave down jacket home and layer. I was layered underneath my down coat and still was a bit nippy. I am glad I folllowed my intuition and brought the coat along. I went to decathlon today and bought a pair of hiking leggings for down to minus 10. So, I have added to my pack! Cardinal sin. My legs were so cold as I walked today. I don’t know if it is unusually cold but the snow on the mountains is definitely more than I have ever seen here.
I had a pair of merino wool hiking leggings and took them out at the last minute. Note to self: You just need some things on the camino! Underpacking isn’t good either.

2. I am so glad I have cushioned three days to get over jet lag (from Canada). I am very jet lagged and feel like I need those days to feel able to get going on Wednesday.

3. I am finding joy is just walking, eating pinxchos, wine and really great coffee.

5. A bus from Bilbao takes you right into the Center of Burgos (near the cathedral. If you take a train, you would need to get a taxi into town.

Buen Camino
Very jealous, my friend and I start from Burgos at the end of August when I'm pretty certain snow and cold will not be an issue LOL!

Have fun.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Buen Camino
I found this post very helpful.. I definitely feel the cold more than most; but in my desire to keep my pack light I gad almost decided to take out my down jacket.. thanks heaps! 20 days before I leave NZ.. BUEN CAMINO

I found this post very helpful.. I definitely feel the cold more than most; but in my desire to keep my pack light I gad almost decided to take out my down jacket.. thanks heaps! 20 days before I leave NZ.. BUEN CAMINO
Great to see Kiwis getting out of there and doing this!!

Are you planning to stay in albergues? If so, can you report back on what the occupancy levels are like this year?
Thanks
Right now there is not a problem getting albergues. I was in one ten bed room, all by myself. Rumour in the trail is that Pamplona on that there is a lot of people heading for Easter celebrations in big cities, beds for them seem to be getting more difficult. Those are rumours I am hearing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back