• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Logistics and budget

Robin4

Hello,

I've been gradually training for the past year, I believe by May 2013 I may be able to start El Camino, Lord willing. So, I am now researching all aspects (thank you for the comprehensive and helpful information, btw).

Normally, when I travel I get my round trip tickets, book or prepay my hotel and set an amount for the variable expenses, i.e., food, sightseeing, transportation. I pretty much know what to expect, leave US, stay so many days, spend so much money. As I start my research I can't seem to get a grasp on any of these things.

Since I am a 65 year old diabetic, it seems I have to accommodate my needs to the basic plan. I think I would feel better if I traveled longer. I also think that I may not necessarily feel ok all the time if I stay with a large number of people in one large room. I may have to look for other accommodations once in a while. Of course I'll research and talk with my doctor much more about diabetes in El Camino. Although I have diabetes under control now, I may not necessarily be able to do that while traveling.

If 10% of your weight is a good indication of how much you should carry with you, is 14 lbs or 6.3 kg enough to carry all my stuff. I am a light packer anyway but, I wonder.

All this means that my normal planning method is out the window. How do you come to terms with how long you'll take to enjoy the walk. How much money will you need to cover lodging and other expenses?

Any help you can give me will be very much appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Robin4 said:
If 10% of your weight is a good indication of how much you should carry with you, is 14 lbs or 6.3 kg enough to carry all my stuff. I am a light packer anyway but, I wonder.

All this means that my normal planning method is out the window. How do you come to terms with how long you'll take to enjoy the walk. How much money will you need to cover lodging and other expenses?
You'll find some posts about coping with diabetes on the Camino under this subject heading: medical-issues-on-the-pilgrimage/

As a rough rule of thumb aim to leave home with no more than 5-5.5kg. This is definitely doable and is actually quite generous. Your pack becomes pretty weighty by the time you add food and water to that figure. There are lots of suggested pack lists on the forum.

I'm not sure wht you mean by "how long you'll take to enjoy the walk" - perhaps some people never actually "enjoy" it :) How long you'll take to walk to Santiago will depend on your starting point.

I understand what you mean by the planning. My first pilgrimage was carefully planned so I knew how far I would walk each day and when I would arrive in Santiago. Then I added some rest days and some extras to spend in Santiago at the end. After a few days I threw the plan away, took off my watch and gave myself over to not knowing where I was going to sleep each night. Ah, the freedom!

My advice? If you were walking from St Jean Pied-de-Port I would allow 31 days + a few rest days + a few days in Santiago. That assumes 25km/day. Adjust to suit your preferred daily distance.

It's all a rather academic exercise as you don't know what you will want to do until you're actually there. Just allow plenty of time so that you're not rushing to meet a travel deadline.

If you can afford it, you can book ahead in private albergues (which often have single and double rooms) or small inns and rooms in homes. This way you could have your heavy pack transferred each stage for about €7 per stage.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Robin!
There's been a lot on the Forum re backpack weights: much depends on the length of your trip, and the time of year. Even now in mid-April there's still snow on many mountain passes.
I'm off in a fortnight, spending a month on the Camino. Back-pack = 8 kgs, + water bottle belt and bum-bag. If you'd like to see a detailed break down, send me an e-mail. I don't agree that 5 kgs is 'generous'!
How much money? Well, I pre-book flights, then allow around 20 Euros a day, or 40 Euros if I opt for the luxury of a small hotel once in a while.
I'm walking from Salamanca to SdC and will start enjoying the Camino the moment I walk out of my door, here in England ...
Buen camino!
Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Hi Robin,

the following link will help you with planning how long you might want to walk. That said, you'll probably want to schedule in few extra days for unforeseen events such as stomach bugs, tiredness, etc. That way you can get an idea when to book your return flight while still leaving room for the unexpected.

http://www.godesalco.com/plan

In terms of staying with many people in the one room, you may be better stopping in the smaller towns rather than the traditional stopping points. These tend to be crowded as the majority of pilgrims start and stop in these towns.

I budgeted €20 - €25 a day when I walked last September. However, I did treat myself to a nice hotel in Burgos and a rather pleasant pension in León too. You could make do with less if you were to cook your own meals.

Given your diabetes, travel insurance will be an essential and but may find your options limited, given that you have a pre-existing condition. Make sure that your insurance is valid for the duration of your Camino. I know that quite a few policies that I looked at were limited to 30 days at a time. After that point, you were no longer covered. Although had I flown home and walked for another 30 days that would have been okay.

Hope this is of some help.

Thank you for such detailed information, very helpful.

I never considered insurance, i'll start looking into it.

I will be traveling with at least one of my two sons, they are planning to take turns as work schedules permit. When I travel alone, I may opt for private lodging. Since we were avid campers, it might also be an interesting option. I am planning some pampering in Paradors (maybe take advantage of that 5 day discount).

I looked into sending my backpack ahead. I like tha thought that if all else falls apart, I can take the bus, train or call a taxi. I don't plan to do that, but it is reassuring. (well, sending my backpack for €7 sounds very good 8) )

I've started using that planner. Perfect tool, especially when I can tell what type of lodging is available at any particular town.

I am planning to visit REI, the outdoor store, checking into lightweight tents, sleeping bags, etc. the boots are broken in, I may have to buy another pair by the time I am ready to go.

Thank you very much for your help. I feel I have a better handle on what to research now.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back