• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

Lone Peak 5 available in a few weeks.

FRM

How do you walk the Camino? One step at a time.
Year of past OR future Camino
O'Cebreiro to Santiago (2014)
Pamplona to Sahagun (March 2019)
Sahagun to O’Cebreiro (March 2020)
The new version of the Lone Peak (5) is due out in a few weeks. I’d noted that the Lone Peak 4.5 was only available in a few sizes at the Altra website and asked about future availability. They responded it is being replaced by the 5. Some of the changes include a wide version, the toe cap is now sewn on to prevent it from coming loose, changes to the mid-sole, improved drainage, and a change to the sole. More incremental than a complete makeover. I’m assuming these changes will be for both the low and mid rise. As Ive recently fallen in love with the Altra zero rise style I’m rather excited.

frm

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
CFx2, CPx1
My favorite shoes. Good news. I did just get the 4.5 low on sale
Me too. Might just have to go back and get a spare pair. Good price, and we all know how we can get caught with unpleasant design change, and an increase in price that usually accompanied the release of an updated model.
Regards
Gerard

Sunbolt

Camino Portugués (2019)
I have the mid rise Lone Peak 4. They are imperfect in a few ways, but I really love them nonetheless. It would be quite nice actually to get an improved version. I went ahead and emailed them specifically asking if they will continue making mid rise versions or not. I'll let you know what they say.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I wore Lone Peaks 3.5 on my 2018 camino, and got another pair for 2019. I could not find another pair of 3.5s for 2020, but I had a pair of 4.0s in the box ready to go on the camino that was not to be. So I have never really worn the 4.0s, but the info I got here suggested they would be fine.

I guess I will stick with my 4.0s for 2021-22, but I wonder if there are any here who have opinions on whether I would be better off to spring for the 5.0s before my next walk.

These shoes have transformed my camino experience, and I am so grateful to the forum for all the advice and information that led to my decision to go to trail runners.

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Donation to the Forum

FRM

How do you walk the Camino? One step at a time.
O'Cebreiro to Santiago (2014)
Pamplona to Sahagun (March 2019)
Sahagun to O’Cebreiro (March 2020)
I wore Lone Peaks 3.5 on my 2018 camino, and got another pair for 2019. I could not find another pair of 3.5s for 2020, but I had a pair of 4.0s in the box ready to go on the camino that was not to be. So I have never really worn the 4.0s, but the info I got here suggested they would be fine.

I guess I will stick with my 4.0s for 2021-22, but I wonder if there are any here who have opinions on whether I would be better off to spring for the 5.0s before my next walk.

These shoes have transformed my camino experience, and I am so grateful to the forum for all the advice and information that led to my decision to go to trail runners.
I plan on getting a pair of the 5s as soon as they are available and will report back. I’m currently wearing a fairly new pair of the 4.5s (my first Altras) and have been impressed with them, though I’ve yet to walk the Camino in Altras.

best,
frm

Bobthebome

Portuguese (future - 2018) from Porto
I plan on getting a pair of the 5s as soon as they are available and will report back. I’m currently wearing a fairly new pair of the 4.5s (my first Altras) and have been impressed with them, though I’ve yet to walk the Camino in Altras.

best,
frm
Looking forward to your review of the 5's. A new version is not necessarily better!

Jbirk

Frances, SJPP to Finesterre April (2018)
Via Francigena Sept (2018)
Del Norte Aug (2019)
I've worn 3.5 mid's on the Frances, 4.0's on the Via Francegina and Del Norte without any issues. I'm 6'0 225lbs with a size 14. I have the 4.5's now for local walking and think they are the best yet. (They are still on sale for $84.00 at Altra)
The only thing I do not like is the traction that they provide on wet ground. We hike a lot in North Carolina and I will always wear my Merrill MOAB's if it is the least bit wet.

Camino Francés, Oct 2020
I used 4.5 and Merrell for my cf last year. The lone peaks were great to change into towards the end of a long day but the merrell were better for me on steep inclines. Both have wide toe boxes ( my merrells are on my feet now!) which I love

Camino Francés, Oct 2020
I've worn 3.5 mid's on the Frances, 4.0's on the Via Francegina and Del Norte without any issues. I'm 6'0 225lbs with a size 14. I have the 4.5's now for local walking and think they are the best yet. (They are still on sale for $84.00 at Altra)
The only thing I do not like is the traction that they provide on wet ground. We hike a lot in North Carolina and I will always wear my Merrill MOAB's if it is the least bit wet.

Totally agree

Donation to the Forum
Camino Passport
Original passport made by the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. Shipped from Santiago all around the world with DHL.
Spring 2016: Camino Frances, Finisterre and Muxia
April 2019: Frances, Salvador, Primitivo
Great video. Thanks for posting, I'll have to check these out. I had moved from Lone Peaks to Timps, but I understand that the Timp 2.0 is narrower, not a change I'd like to see. Maybe back to Lone Peak??

jcat

Sarria - Santiago 2016
Camino Ingles 2019
I thought that my Solomon XA Pro 3D were my ideal shoe, but then I tried on some Lone Peak 4 mids the other day. Wow, the foot box felt great! I've heard so many good things by AT hikers, that I have always wanted to give them a try. Now I'm just waiting to see what the new 5s feel like. My local store says they will have plenty of 4s on stock until I can decide.

Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.