• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

long sleeve Merino wool shirt for SUMMER

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017)
Have you ever researched something to the point that the more you read the more confused you end up? That’s me on trying to buy a stupid shirt.

What I desire is a long sleeve Merino wool shirt suitable for hot weather. I hike in 35 to 40 degree celcius and I imagine that the temps in September will be a little less than that.

My frustration comes from the fact that every long sleeve merino wool shirt I encounter says it is “thermal” which I read as keeps you warm. The further description will say it’s great for skiing or winter sports. I reached out to Danish Endurance and asked them but no response. If you have experience with this issue I’m all ears and grateful.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a couple of long sleeved options for you. One is from Ibex and is called the Paradox.
https://ibex.com/collections/mens/products/mens-merino-tencel-longsleeve-tee? I have a lot of Ibex brand stuff in various weights for various seasons.

The other brand I like is Unbound Merino.
They have a long sleeve crew neck and a long sleeve Henley. I have a dress from them that is good quality and they market their wool stuff less as outdoor wear and more as travel or business casual. My husband likes their t-shirts as they come in a V-neck version that he prefers.

Very pricey though for both brands unless you catch something on sale and even then...

You want something about 150 or 155 gsm. Usually it will have a proportion of Tencel to give better strength. Icebreaker, Smartwool, Wilderness Wear, …

Note that wool has a temperature regulating effect meaning it’s comfortable at a wider range of temperatures than other textiles.

Wool will dry out and become damaged and even itchy through exposure to hot temps and sunlight.
Not what you asked but something worth considering.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have done all summer/autumn caminos in longsleeve and turtle neck wool (150 g/mm2) with a long zip from Houdini, I have opted for pure merino wool even if it is less durable than a mix as I don't like the smell of teh syntethic mix. I have the woman's version of this https://houdinisportswear.com/sv-se...-desoli-light-half-zip-840039?color=840039900

The thumbholes are perfect on cold mornings and the turtle neck as well but also as sunscreen for the neck. I usially wear it with the zip open when walking in hot weather and pull up the sleeves. I haven't noticed any wiltering or itchyness of the garment only If i don't rinse out salt from sweating.

I just bought a new one for the next camino.

Have you ever researched something to the point that the more you read the more confused you end up? That’s me on trying to buy a stupid shirt.

What I desire is a long sleeve Merino wool shirt suitable for hot weather. I hike in 35 to 40 degree celcius and I imagine that the temps in September will be a little less than that.

My frustration comes from the fact that every long sleeve merino wool shirt I encounter says it is “thermal” which I read as keeps you warm. The further description will say it’s great for skiing or winter sports. I reached out to Danish Endurance and asked them but no response. If you have experience with this issue I’m all ears and grateful.
If you’ve got a few minutes to spare you could look at a few dictionary definitions of thermal and then probably conclude that it’s as applicable to clothing as “recyclable” is to plastic.

A rather lovely girlfriend, many years ago, purchased some “erotic” underwear from a company that marketed that sort of stuff. They weren’t.

Merino fabric clothing has some specific properties. My favourite of which is that it doesn’t carry body odour or the bacteria that produce it even if I can’t be arsed to shower for a couple of days 😉

Eh

Therm-al
Heat-<adj>

To do with heat. Ie clothing that helps keep you warm.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nope, nice try but no cigar. Arguably clothing that transfers heat efficiently but that doesn’t suggest it applies a heat benefit. There is no way in which merino wool will generate heat until you put a match to it
Thermal doesn’t mean “generating heat”. It’s much broader than that - anything having to do with heat.

Wool does actually generate heat as is it absorbs water vapour (and absorbs heat as it dries), but that’s not what’s being referred to.

Thermal doesn’t mean “generating heat”. It’s much broader than that - anything having to do with heat.

Wool does actually generate heat as is it absorbs water vapour (and absorbs heat as it dries), but that’s not what’s being referred to.
Looks like we agree on at least some of the meaning of thermal. Having to do with heat. That wool can generate, or absorb, heat? I’ll agree that if you burn wool then its interaction with oxygen will produce heat. But the idea that wet wool will generate heat via the evaporation of water - why have we even bothered with solar power stations when all we needed was a bunch of wet sheep. If I’d realized that all those years ago I’d never have lost my farm at Ty Nant

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Looks like we agree on at least some of the meaning of thermal. Having to do with heat. That wool can generate, or absorb, heat? I’ll agree that if you burn wool then its interaction with oxygen will produce heat. But the idea that wet wool will generate heat via the evaporation of water - why have we even bothered with solar power stations when all we needed was a bunch of wet sheep. If I’d realized that all those years ago I’d never have lost my farm at Ty Nant
I can cite you a CSIRO textiles scientist if you want.

A couple of options:
As stated above, Unbound Merino has some lightweight shirts.

Another option is Woolly Merino
Woolly Men's Shirts

A third option is to consider Sun sleeves. There is a current thread on the subject.

I use long sleeve Merino shirts in summer. Love them.
Cool, wick the sweat, easy to pull up the sleeves.
But there are shirts and there are shirts!

I use very light weight 'soft' Merino shirts with a half zip.
They are only 120 gsm weight.
hard to describe, but they are really soft like a thin cotton undershirt.

I have other shirts that have a Merino mix, that are like wearing a plastic bag!
These are more tradition plaid button up shirts.

It's very hard to recommend brands unfortunately
I love Icebreaker. But since they sold out a few years ago the fabrics are a lower % Merino blend.
This makes them a bit more sweaty.
I think this was to make them harder wearing.
Whereas my shirts will just about last a 60 day Camino, and they're done. (start getting holes)

Good Merino shirts are a bit weird.
When it's cold, they are warm, being wool.
When it's hot, they are cool, as they wick away the sweat and breath really well.

So try to find a 'soft' really lightweight high % Merino shirt.
120-130 gsm if you can.
Above 150 gsm they get a bit too warm I find. (OK for Winter)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wool will dry out and become damaged and even itchy through exposure to hot temps and sunlight.
Not what you asked but something worth considering.

Mine don't.

Those you mention might not have a high% Merino.
I have found some are itchy if low % Merino.

Mine don't.

Those you mention might not have a high% Merino.
I have found some are itchy if low % Merino.
Merino comes in many grades. The finer it is the softer, and less itchy, but less robust and more expensive.

Premium brands like Icebreaker buy top quality merino and pay the price. Some cheaper brands will be using less fine grades.

Merino comes in many grades. The finer it is the softer, and less itchy, but less robust and more expensive.

Premium brands like Icebreaker buy top quality merino and pay the price. Some cheaper brands will be using less fine grades.
True. The good ones are not cheap.

I use Icebreaker. But even their shirts are a lower % Merino or poorer quality now. Some are itchy.
Hard to find the really good soft ones. (at least here in Australia)

I have about 20 Icebreaker Merino Shirts. Been buying them for about 10 years.
The heavy weights (200 gsm plus) I wear at home in the winter.
The Featherweights (120-130 gsm) I wear on Camino.
Pat wears 150-180 on Camino as she feels the cold more.

I don't think I have any left from 10 yeas ago.
But they were the best! Very fine Merino, high quality, non itchy.

In 2018 they were sold to a US Company, and I think the quality changed then.
For the last 5 years or so, I haven't been able to get those good shirts.
Now they are a poorer quality Merino and a higher % synthetic.
This makes them more sweaty and more itchy.

I'm told it's also something to do with the weave.
But I think that's an excuse to cover up the lower quality.

I suspect the changes were made as the older style, whilst a lot more comfortable, was not hard wearing.
On my first Camino in 2015 I had to darn holes that appeared.
Obvious move for a new owner I guess.
Cut down the complaints and returns, make them harder wearing.

As with many things..........it's a compromise.

But I'm always on the lookout for an alternative to Icebreaker.
They downgraded the product quality, and that really pxxxsed me off.

As soon as I find a better alternative, I'll change brands.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I use Icebreaker. But even their shirts are a lower % Merino or poorer quality now. Some are itchy.

I have about 20 Icebreaker Merino Shirts. Been buying them for about 10 years.
The heavy weights (200 gsm plus) I wear at home in the winter.
The Featherweights (120-130 gsm) I wear on Camino.
Pat wears 150-180 on Camino as she feels the cold more.

I don't think I have any left from 10 yeas ago.
But they were the best! Very fine Merino, high quality, non itchy.

In 2018 they were sold to a US Company, and I think the quality changed then.
For the last 5 years or so, I haven't been able to get those good shirts.
Now they are a poorer quality Merino and a higher % synthetic.
This makes them more sweaty and more itchy.

I'm told it's also something to do with the weave.
But I think that's an excuse to cover up the lower quality.

I suspect the changes were made as the older style, whilst a lot more comfortable, was not hard wearing.
On my first Camino in 2015 I had to darn holes that appeared.
Obvious move for a new owner I guess.
Cut down the complaints and returns, make them harder wearing.

As with many things..........it's a compromise.

But I'm always on the lookout for an alternative to Icebreaker.
They downgraded the product quality, and that really pxxxsed me off.

As soon as I find a better alternative, I'll change brands.
Agree completely. Also, I bought $25 Canadian for a long sleeve t shirt at Costco, 100% merino, no bells and whistles but really like them. It’s one of these no name companies I think-True North or smith.

I have lightweight merino sun hoodies in both 120 & 150 weight from SmartWool. I also have a great sun hoody from Ridge Merino. (That’s the mens version)

Ditto what many others have said. My three go to brands are Smartwool, Ibex, and Icebreaker. All have lightweight long sleeve shirts that should fit your need. Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

For May-June last year I took 2 Icebreaker 175 Merino long sleeve and two Icebreaker 175 Merino short sleeve.They were very light and and perfect for that time of year. I also have a Smartwool 250 Merino long sleeve thermal that I did not take but will have it in case I walk a March or October Camino in the future.

I use a light 150 merino sun hoodie which has long sleeves with thumb holes, it works really well at wicking the sweat away from my body keeping me cooler, the hood goes over my baseball cap keeping the sun off my head & neck.

If you have a buttoned shirt in mind, consider Pendleton wool, cold water washable wool. Can unbutton if too warm, or wrap sleeves around waist. I have 2 Danish endurance pullover merino wool Ts. Merino wool IS thermal. I wear these over Tek fabric Ts, such as BodyGlove or UnderArmour.
Don't sweat it (!)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

In Australia, Wilderness Wear. I love their stuff and it’s actually made by them in Melbourne.

I have been wearing smartwool blends since 2005. Started with their vented socks which were really comfortable. Been wearing underwear, t-shirts and long sleeve t-shirts since 2014. 4 caminos later, super comfortable, not itchy, easy to clean and dry (hand washing/hang dry) and long lasting. Found the hiking socks wear better than the thinner vented sock (but just as comfortable).

I wear the 150 gram long sleeve merino blend for sun protection on hot days and find it super comfortable.

I haven't done any research so this is what I know. I am very lucky to have some old/old Merino long sleeve t-shirts with thumb loops, I have kept them as spare undergarments for treks, hill walks and am now going to bring them on my next Camino, they have holes in them!! I'll wear 2 at once if needed. I'd say they are pure merino, Patagonia brand, ancient (sale purchase). I have a collection of Merino, I'm an Ice swimmer. Any recent purchase can cause itching. I was always allergic to certain fabrics.
My 150g Isobaa zip neck hoodies are my day to day go to favourites. They won't be going on Camino due to the weight of the hood.
I've a RAB short sleeve which is less than 100g but this time I'm only bringing long sleeves. And one Cami/vest.
One year I bought Techie tees and they were a total disaster, the smell and the feel of them were awful.
So I can recommend Isobaa, Smartwool. Patagonia, but check Wool content. weight should be 120g (for me). (layer up)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Z packs have great long sleeve merino shirts but with a hoodie. I say "but" because that wasn't in your specification however I think you will be grateful for it. Here's the link.

Also look at Icebreaker's Cool-Lite range and the Ridge Merino brand.

Good luck, I understand those rabbit holes well.

I no longer use wool shirts for the reason you describe. While they wick moisture well, they also tend to be heavier than synthetics. I have switched totally to a much lighter fabric with wicks as well or better than wool. My shirt of choice is made by Patagonia with their proprietary fabric called Capilene (which is a blend of recycled polyester). It is very lightweight and has a silky feel to it. It's perfect as a summer shirt or as a base layer for other clothing.

I like the long sleeve shirts because I don't have to apply sunscreen to my arms. They also make short sleeve shirts with the same fabric, which is perfect for layering over the long sleeve shirt in the cool mornings.

Alpaca is always a consideration. It's lighter, less itchy than merino. I haven't had a chance to really test it in warm weather but recently bought a zip hoodie from Paka. It's very lightweight and thin and does great in cool weather. Not in the least bit itchy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.