• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

'Loud crowds' from Sarria

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Paris to SdC... maybe
As I've mentioned before, I had a blissful camino this Summer, probably made more perfect because I didn't expect it to be in the busy Summer time. Quiet, unrushed, peaceful...
I knew it would be different from Sarria but again, it wasn't bad at all. Even the albergue (O Durmiñento ) was surprisingly very empty and only 5 of us for dinner that night.
A day or so later, I forget where (there are 2 steep climbs on that stretch!), I found my self walking very close to a Spanish family/friends group. They were absolutely lovely but very loud and I longed for some peace... :oops: I first overtook them but
I also knew the hills were coming and I didn't feel up to distancing them sufficiently so.... I decided to stop and let them get well ahead.
Bless them!
They noticed and asked me if I was alright. I replied I just needed a rest and got out my bottle of water.
'Oh noooooo', they all cried. 'You can make it, walk with us! We'll all do it together, you'll see, stay with us and we'll all help each other'. And they waited for me before starting again!

I have tears in my eyes as I write this, believe it or not.

So much for my pre-conceived ideas about the 'loud peregrinos', they taught me a thing or two. :oops: What a lovely, lovely group of people.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As I've mentioned before, I had a blissful camino this Summer, probably made more perfect because I didn't expect it to be in the busy Summer time. Quiet, unrushed, peaceful...
I knew it would be different from Sarria but again, it wasn't bad at all. Even the albergue (O Durmiñento ) was surprisingly very empty and only 5 of us for dinner that night.
A day or so later, I forget where (there are 2 steep climbs on that stretch!), I found my self walking very close to a Spanish family/friends group. They were absolutely lovely but very loud and I longed for some peace... :oops: I first overtook them but
I also knew the hills were coming and I didn't feel up to distancing them sufficiently so.... I decided to stop and let them get well ahead.
Bless them!
They noticed and asked me if I was alright. I replied I just needed a rest and got out my bottle of water.
'Oh noooooo', they all cried. 'You can make it, walk with us! We'll all do it together, you'll see, stay with us and we'll all help each other'. And they waited for me before starting again!

So much for my pre-conceived ideas about the 'loud peregrinos', they taught me a thing or two. :oops: What a lovely, lovely group of people.
Well, I guess shit happens when you really don't expect it ;)

sarcasm off...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes, I had similar experiences, judging groups to be " obnoxious loud hikers" and then ending up talking and walking with them, and suddenly they transformed into "friendly and enthusiastic pilgrims". Lesson about not making assumptions learned--though not necessarily always remembered now that I'm back to "normal life".

Bless them!

Domigee, I had a similar experience on the Camino two years ago!

I had timed my March/April Camino (without realising it) to be arriving in Santiago on Easter weekend, so the last week or so was VERY crowded with large family groups.

As it was still early April, it was a shock to the system after a very quiet March along the way. I was feeling very 'put out' by these large groups.......until I got to know them! Such a camino lesson!

One day I walked with a family from Madrid who were so excited to meet someone from Australia. I chatted with the daughter and she told me all about her mother who wasn't able to join the rest of the family on the camino - BUT who loved Australia! They all treated me so nicely and with a little awe that I had traveled so far to walk the Camino.

We had a lovely day together and I learned even more about what the Camino means to some Spanish people.

buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Leaving Burgos this early April way up ahead was a large group (24-30 people) walking, rowdy, loud, kept stopping for photo ops, 2 large support vehicles, I thought it was a student group. They gave me a very bad attitude (probably just my lack of sufficient caffeine). When I stopped at the fountain and picnic area outside of Rabe de las Calzadas I caught up with them. They ended up being the most delightful group of French adults, mostly my vintage, that were intrigued by the fact that I was walking solo. They offered me cold drinks, coffee and the best almond cookies I've had in a long time!!!

Well, I guess shit happens when you really don't expect it ;)

sarcasm off...
Hey Kinkone, I will be back on the Camino France soon loud I say loud let them spend time on the Levante in the heat and I bet they will love the noise. Sorry I get annoyed at what people expect maybe they should have patience . Trevor

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey Kinkone, I will be back on the Camino France soon loud I say loud let them spend time on the Levante in the heat and I bet they will love the noise. Sorry I get annoyed at what people expect maybe they should have patience . Trevor
Ahahahaha, yes, very silent on Levante indeed :D

We knew a vise old monk in New Zealand who, when my wife observed that some of the visitors at the monastery may not like the noise our youngest was making during the daily office, that people may expect silence at a monastery, but they should accept what they get, not what they expect.

I suspect the same attitude applies when on Camino...

I loved this loud group encountered somewhere after Sarria. A line of boys across the road followed by a line of girls. One of the boys would lead the others in singing a few lines of a song and then the girls would respond. They were loud and happy. I wish I could have picked out what they were singing because it sounded like a battle. The singing didn't stay loud though as they, like everyone else, were faster than us.
loud.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back