• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice needed: Managing a large blister on the heel

betheloisej95

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2023
I have seen conflicting info on threads and I am on day 7 but on the the Portuguese costal route staying in Baiona, skipping tomorrow and taking the bus to Vigo. I've developed a HUGE blister on my heel, currently unpopped. Not sure what to do with it!

To drain or not to drain...

I don't have the time to rest for more days, I would need to skip more of the Camino which I really don't want to do...

I think after consideration that my pace has caused these and not taking my socks off when I take a break (only my shoes).

Any advice for blister care would be much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry to hear about your bad blister. That can, indeed be a problem, and it might mean that you should skip more of the Camino, even though you don't want to. Better to skip a day or two now, than walk a day or two and then need to cancel the rest.

I have seen conflicting info on threads
You will undoubtedly get conflicting advice on this thread, too. The treatment decisions really depend on the precise details of the blister, so perhaps you should get some medical advice. Taking at least one day of rest, and getting it treated properly might be the best thing to do. You also want to figure out why you got the blister in the first place, and fix that problem.

I have added a tag "first aid & blisters" to under the title at the top of this thread. Click on the tag and you'll find many threads on the topic.

In particular, I'd suggest you pay attention to these posts by Rebecca Rushton.

The best advice comes from a medical professional - not me.

That said, this is what I would do, based on what I witnessed in a podiatry clinic in an albergue in Astorga, where they dealt with a lot of blisters and pilgrims who don't want to stop walking, and certainly not for more than a day or two.

Drain the blister with a slit on the side, preferably made with a sterilized blade. (Draining from the side means that when you step on the blister, you keep pushing fluids out.) Flush the drained blister with an antiseptic like betadine. Cover with a bandage. You may want to cut a hole in a bandage pad for the blister so that it acts more like a doughnut pad, around but not over the blister, and tape the dressing in place. That will reduce pressure on the blister (as opposed to something like Compeed which puts the cushioning directly over the blister and can increase pressure on that spot). Change the dressing and reapply the antiseptic regularly until healing is complete.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you all so much for your responses!
You will undoubtedly get conflicting advice on this thread, too

You're right - I'm sure I'm going to get more conflicting info! 🙈 was feeling quite desperate when I posted this! I've already had conflicting info from a doctor who was staying in my hostel last night and someone I spoke to in a pharmacy.

I think not taking enough breaks to air my feet out and walking to fast on a VERY hot day yesterday is what has caused it.

I'm in Vigo now but unfortunately all of the sports/hiking shops are closed today as it's a Sunday! I'm thinking I'll head to one as soon as they open tomorrow and get some hiking sandals.

Thanks again everyone 🤗

I have seen conflicting info on threads and I am on day 7 but on the the Portuguese costal route staying in Baiona, skipping tomorrow and taking the bus to Vigo. I've developed a HUGE blister on my heel, currently unpopped. Not sure what to do with it!

To drain or not to drain...

I don't have the time to rest for more days, I would need to skip more of the Camino which I really don't want to do...

I think after consideration that my pace has caused these and not taking my socks off when I take a break (only my shoes).

Any advice for blister care would be much appreciated!

So sorry!! I am passing the name and author of this book to you as you can get it as an e-book and use the information as you walk. I have been using it since my first hike and managed to hike the Camino last year without a blister (and I have very tender feet!). The first time I got a blister on a trail, I did what he suggests, and it was such a success. I wish you the best!

Book Title and author:
Fixing Your Feet: Injury Prevention and Treatments for Athletes
John Vonhof
4.7 out of 5 stars 350
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01I8S7U44?tag=casaivar02-20

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
i took the advice to sterilise a needle threaded with a piece of dental floss, pierced the blister and left the tread in to keep the blister drained
VIrtually every blister thread gets into an argument about the threading technique. This method may work fine in most cases, but I doubt that the "advice" you followed was given by a medical professional. The thread/floss increases the risk of infection. Instead, you can make a larger opening with a sterile blade or needle, so it won't close up so easily, and then protect the area.

I got many blisters on the Camino. I went to a hospital and they carefully cleaned & drained my blisters. Then put on some healing cream and covered it. They told me to rest for 3 days, take the anti-inflamatory pills, then I could walk again using the padded gauze they gave me.

I also purchased new larger shoes, foot powder and cooling socks. Never another blister.

Thanks for the additional replies!

Sorry to have created a thread on something that has likely been discussed extensively in many other threads... I'm very new to this site and now know better 😁

To confirm for anyone interested... I am leaving it alone until tomorrow. Then I will get my hiking sandals, use a blade and make an opening, and then protect the area (not with Compeed).

Despite being given this advice all day long, I'm just not into the idea of the thread method.

So sorry!! I am passing the name and author of this book to you as you can get it as an e-book and use the information as you walk. I have been using it since my first hike and managed to hike the Camino last year without a blister (and I have very tender feet!). The first time I got a blister on a trail, I did what he suggests, and it was such a success. I wish you the best!

Book Title and author:
Fixing Your Feet: Injury Prevention and Treatments for Athletes
John Vonhof
4.7 out of 5 stars 350
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01I8S7U44?tag=casaivar02-20
Thank for the book recommendation 😊

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I hesitated to drain my heel blister, but the continuous pressure made it bigger every day.
After finally opening it (with sterile lancet), the "roof top" rubbing on the bare flesh caused a lot of pain when walking, so I decided to carefully de-roof it completely, disinfect it and cover it with a large Compeed (a product I was very sceptical about). I was instantly pain-free and could walk on the next day. The Compeed filled with lots of wound fluids but stayed in place for two days. I renewed it once when it came off by itself. The wound healed just fine. I am now a Compeed convert.
Should you decide to try this method, make sure to keep the area sterile and rub the Compeed between your hands before applying it; this warms up the adhesive, so it will stick better. Good luck!

Screen Shot 2023-10-08 at 18.15.11.png

I hesitated to drain my heel blister, but the continuous pressure made it bigger every day.
Did you continue walking on it or did you rest and it still got bigger? I've never seen a compeed this big!!

After seeing your photo, my blister doesn't seem quite so big...

Glad to hear you made a good recovery after treating it properly! Thanks for sharing 😊

Did you continue walking on it or did you rest and it still got bigger?

After seeing your photo, my blister doesn't seem quite so big!

Glad to hear you made a good recovery after treating it properly! Thanks for sharing 😊
I continued walking on it and that kept pushing the fluid to the sides making the "bag" bigger.
Once the Compeed was in place I could walk on practically pain-free.
Buen camino!

Should you decide to try this method, make sure to keep the area sterile and rub the Compeed between your hands before applying it; this warms up the adhesive, so it will stick better.
It's also a good idea to cover the Compeed with a large piece of tape such as Omnifix or Hypafix which can be bought at most farmacias. This is to prevent the edge of the Compeed from rolling up and sticking to your sock. Round the edges of the tape so there aren't corners that can easily come loose.

Here's more information

I continued walking on it and that kept pushing the fluid to the sides making the "bag" bigger.
Once the Compeed was in place I could walk on practically pain-free.
Buen camino!
That's why the advice I got was to make the openings on the side, so when your step pushes the fluid to the side it pushes it out.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was in the same predicament last year on my Camino. In the end i took the advice to sterilise a needle threaded with a piece of dental floss, pierced the blister and left the tread in to keep the blister drained, but also kept it well padded and with a piece of dressing and a good quality sticky plaster…it worked a dream! Good luck. Hope you find your solution.
If it was my heal, I would run a needle and thread the blister. Leaving about a half inch of thread out both sides of the blister. Drain the blister, let the thread wick water out of blister. Cover with bandaid.

Remember that we talk of blisters as if they are a minor irritation. They are often very deep, involve multiple layers of skin and if you took all those layers together and transposed them to say your arm they mount up to a massive injury or burn. So you need to deal with it as such. As said above better a few days healing and a bus ride than end your Camino through increasing injury.

Here's an article on safely draining a blister. Spoiler: it doesn't involve thread.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I, too, got a huge heel blister on the CP. I drained it with a needle on the side and disinfected it daily (or more often) with iodine and/or rubbing alcohol, applied an antibiotic ointment purchased at a pharmacy, and covered it with Compeed. All these ministrations succeeded in preventing infection, but it still hurt to walk until I changed the insert in my shoe to one that had more cushioning. I'm not saying it was smooth sailing compared to being blister-free, but I was able to keep walking!

Yes my thoughts as well. If you can pick up some hiking sandals this might help.
Be really picky about what sandals you get. Make sure you try with your loaded pack and bendy about. If the strap touches the edge of the blister you might be adding to the problem. Get some alcohol from the Albergue first aid and sterilize everything possible.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm all good now! 🙌

Walked 28km today no problems, sandals don't touch the blister and are comfortable! Put precautionary compeeds on hotspots.

Went for a small cut rather than the needle and it hasn't filled again and blister is looking good (as good as a blister can look.. 🥴)

Thanks all!

I'm glad you've solved the problem!
Put precautionary compeeds on hotspots.
This can get quite expensive! You might want to try Omnifix or Hypafix to prevent even hot spots, as mentioned by @trecile in post #14 above. Put it on any area of the foot that might be vulnerable. (I cover large areas of my feet with it, for the entire Camino.) It is also a good protective layer to keep the Compeed patch in place and clean.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.