• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

may the 1st

Eric1985

Time of past OR future Camino
With the first of may fast approaching Im both exited and a bit daunted about my first camino. do I have enough training is my bag to heavy things like that's. Just cant wait to get to st. Jean and get going I suppose its like everything u will learn as u go and by your mistakes. bring it on.............

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, you learn about how to do your own Camino as you go along. Obviously you can prepare somewhat by research but a lot goes out the window once you are there and you adapt.

The First of May is the Feast Day of Saint Peregrine Laziosi an appropriate name for a pilgrim! Further it is believed he did not sit down for thirty years! A propitious sign. To bring you back to realities, May 1 is also Saint Karl Marx day, that is, Labor Day, in both France and Spain so expect some difficulties in public transportation, many businesses will be closed. You can count that since it falls on a Friday, the event will be turned into a long weekend of festivities and holiday. Maybe consider April 30? Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Labor Day falls on a Friday this year, expect that to be turned into a long 3 to 4 day holiday, lots of crowds and lots of closings. I don't know the school holiday schedule but I am willing to bet it falls around the same time.

The First of May is the Feast Day of Saint Peregrine Laziosi an appropriate name for a pilgrim! Further it is believed he did not sit down for thirty years! A propitious sign. To bring you back to realities, May 1 is also Saint Karl Marx day, that is, Labor Day, in both France and Spain so expect some difficulties in public transportation, many businesses will be closed. You can count that since it falls on a Friday, the event will be turned into a long weekend of festivities and holiday. Maybe consider April 30? Buen Camino!

Yes. I experienced 1st of May syndrome too. Almost everything was closed so be prepared.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ever though about moving it back to May the 4th?

Luke%20Skywalker%20-%2001.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
QUOTE="Al the optimist, post: 270707, member: 18869"]Looks like you have to adapt already! No I personally get many things wrong, but the date of my Camino? Never! Impossible!
PS It is Saturday right?[/QUOTE]
Think it was more a case of me getting a head of my self al. Ha

Everything closed? Bars, restaurants, hotels?
Not exactly, but it's going to be a long holiday weekend, so shops and hypermarches will no doubt be closed on Friday and Sunday. The bars will be very busy but restaurants have crazy ways of dealing with holidays. For example, during one of the biggest festival weekends in Bayonne, when Bayonne and Biarritz are teeming with free spending tourist to see the running of the bulls, lots of restaurants close to let their employees participate in the activities, go figure!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello,

By the French law, it is forbidden to let employees work on the 1st of May, except where the activity cannot be interrupted because of its nature (oil refineries, hospital ER...). This is not applicable to a self-employed person or to the owner of a business (e.g. : a bakery might open as a pop and mom operation but without any employee being present).

So don't expect much activity or services.

The good news (for the customers...) : the 1st of May is the only day of the year with such regulations. :)

On the first day of May, or the closest Monday / Friday (consult your consulate) throughout Europe, the under-classes rise up in symbolic rebellion against capitalism, exploitative employers and the ruling classes. Unless they work in public services or in bars, hotels and restaurants in which case they will merely ensure that your bandages are over tight or spit in your soup. :p
Public transport probably suffers more than most material issues that might impact on the traveller. Huge numbers of people will be wishing to travel and services will be reduced or even withdrawn.

On the first day of May, or the closest Monday / Friday (consult your consulate) throughout Europe, the under-classes rise up in symbolic rebellion against capitalism, exploitative employers and the ruling classes. Unless they work in public services or in bars, hotels and restaurants in which case they will merely ensure that your bandages are over tight or spit in your soup. :p
Public transport probably suffers more than most material issues that might impact on the traveller. Huge numbers of people will be wishing to travel and services will be reduced or even withdrawn.

I see. Never noticed it in the UK over 37 years. Maybe I was in the wrong class :cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Everything closed? Bars, restaurants, hotels?

Of course, hotels were open in Madrid. A few bars, but I had to really look to find them.
A few restaurants, but again, I had to seek them out. MOST places were either closed, or closed up early.
There is always at least one farmacia open in town on any given day - it's law I believe.
No markets. No museums.
I'd just go with some sandwich or picnic food, to be sure you get dinner.
Just don't expect it to be life as usual that day and you'll be fine :)

... Maybe I was in the wrong class :cool:

I think you might have been! To quote Terry Pratchett:

"All the little angels rise up, rise up.
All the little angels rise up high!
How do they rise up, rise up, rise up?
How do they rise up, rise up high?
They rise heads up, heads up, heads up, they rise heads up, heads up high"

Buen Primero de Marzo, SY

'May Day'

Of course! May Poles and Morris Dancers......... Can't say I ever noticed the masses rising up in revolt.......... Must have been 'living under a rock' all those years :oops:

But forewarned is forearmed.

I shall ensure I have plenty of food in my pack!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Can't say I ever noticed the masses rising up in revolt.......... Must have been 'living under a rock' all those years

Wrong part of the world and bad timing, I guess ;)

Wrong part of the world and bad timing, I guess ;)

Must be!

Other than the UK traditional May Day celebrations, I can recall the big military parades in Moscow on TV in the old USSR days........ But must have been oblivious to the other stuff going on :oops:

But living in Europe seems like a life time ago sadly..........

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back