• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mid 70 Male & Potential Issues

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
I have walked a couple of Caminos in my 60s. I am now in my mid 70s. I am concerned about 2 potential issues. I get up 2x a night to use the bathroom. Might this disturb other pilgrims in the albergues/gites? Secondly, would the decrease in sleep be an issue for my walking distances? I would appreciate hearing your comments/experiences. I am training to walk the Le Puy in the fall.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have walked a couple of Caminos in my 60s. I am now in my mid 70s. I am concerned about 2 potential issues. I get up 2x a night to use the bathroom. Might this disturb other pilgrims in the albergues/gites? Secondly, would the decrease in sleep be an issue for my walking distances? I would appreciate hearing your comments/experiences. I am training to walk the Le Puy in the fall.
Best of luck! I get up for 3x a night and certainly have never worried about other pilgies! I am as quiet as I can be but when ya gotta go, ya gotta go! The wretched snorers don't seem too put out by disturbing everybody within a 50km radius! I have always been a light sleeper so when on the trail I am up and gone early anyway. My walking distance ( in my mid eighties) is now quite minimal so that's something else I don't worry about :)

Buen camino

Samarkand

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Enjoy. I am 75 now and sleep for maybe only 6 hours a night. I balance this by having at least a one hour siesta and that really works. To sleep during the day one needs to cover the eyes, the darkness will allow the body to release sleep hormones.
We are designed for two sleeps in each 24 hour period, is only the industrial age that has thrown that away and made it one sleep.

Re you getting up twice or so each night - yep, could drive folk crazy but only if you do it selfishly, noise, hall lights, etc- if you do have to do it get a red filter small torch (or paint red nail varnish over the lens), the red filter light won't wake people up, and, obviously, do sleep closest to the door.

The walking will help you sleep.

You could do as i will do hopefully this year!
Get a private room in an Albergue, Hostel or Hotel if your budget allows.
I cant see the fun in a bunk room environment;but i can see the pleasure of sharing a meal or drinks with fellow pilgrims
I get up three times a night and have no night vision at all so would defo wake people bumping into things and fumbling about!
I will also sleep better no snoring,no coughing,no farting,no sleep talking or head torches.
No STRESS
Woody
EdIT: I am also mentally scarred after living with a wife who for 34 years snored so loudly; my dentures would dance the Flamenco in the glass on the bedside table🤣

Mods :Thanks for the heads up on the spelling of Albergue, i should know that after 3 years of posting!
I must stop using the Cockney version of the word!
Stupid is as stupid does🤣 !!!!
(quote from the Greek philosopher Forrest Gump)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If your budget allows, I'd suggest inquiring about a private room. In France, the evening meal is served family style in most gîtes and auberges. Breakfast also if you choose to include the breakfast. So you will usually have a chance to mingle and connect with other pilgrims that way.

I walked until I was 75, then my body started to fall apart in several non-life threatening ways. I have walked the first 100 kilometers of the Le Puy twice. The rest once. Loved it.

Good luck. Bon chemin.

Hola @hieudovan You and I are in the same boat in age and night pee's. You need to "map the route" to the bathroom so as to not disturb your fellow pilgrims. Maybe ask for a bottom bunk and one a bit closer to the bathroom (although this may result in a bit more noise for you - bring ear plugs and get use to wearing them). Best wishes.

I wouldn't worry. Many others get up in the night too. It's natural.
At the end of a days walking, most people sleep soundly.

I got into the habit of having an hour or two siesta after lunch. That also helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked my first Camino at age 70 (in 2009) ....but am fortunate to not have the need to make bathroom trips during the night....EXCEPT when I end up in a top bunk. Then, at least once. It must be a psychological thing as it really does happen. I never get up at home or in a hotel or in a bottom bunk.

There is a myth that old folks get the bottom bunks assigned to them. I have not experienced that lovely notion. :-(

Like many other veteran pilgrims here in the forum, I choose to use alternate accomondation whenever I can and free up the albergue beds for those whose budget require them....and because it more comfortable. :cool: :cool:

I wouldn’t worry on both issues. If you’re quiet and respectful no one will care too much. As for sleep, it’s difficult in a dorm at the best of times. I did the Le Puy Autumn last year and my answer was to sleep if, when and however I could and simply not to stress about it. My body adjusted quickly enough to 4-6 hours sleep per night. That worked for me and I still covered good distances each day, no hassles.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Typically, though not always, 'senior' pilgrims are assigned bottom bunks. Just to be sure, be sure to request a bottom bunk.

I went through my 60s with similar prostate issues. But it never stopped me. Others have expressed similar sentiments here. Just try to arrange your gear and figure out how to get up without disturbing others when you do use the loo.

I recommend a RED headlight for low light visibility, like in albergues, when trying to find your way in the dark. The headlight's WHITE function is also good for early morning walking - if the heat conditions compel early starts.

Try to get in the habit of putting on the clean clothes you will wear to walk the following day, each evening, after you shower. I do this and only need to put on my cargo pants (pockets pre-loaded) and shoes to leave in the morning. I take my sleep sack, and toiletries in a quiet nylon tote bag, and arrange things once I am outside, where I do not disturb others.

Just think it through at home before you do it. What sequence of motions and events results in the least light and noise falling on your fellow pilgrims? They will be very grateful that you at least tried.

Hope this helps,

Tom

I, too, have "old man" problems and 2x a night would be a gift! That said, I'm planning to go again (probably next spring) at 76. While talking with my friend who wants to go (78) we agreed that the greater concern was top bunks! We'll work it out and so will you. Buen Camino / Bom Caminho!

I am 69 and I get up two or three times a night. In albergues I always get a lower bunk because I get up so much and it does get more difficult to get up and down easily at night.
I walked from Le Puy when I was 61. It was a great camino to Santiago. The food, the scenery and the solitude was wonderful. Many of the gites I stayed in had single beds so bunk beds were not an issue. It is difficult to comment on lack of sleep as who knows what time you go to sleep and how quickly you go back to sleep during the night. I will say give yourself time. I think this camino was the most physically demanding one I have done, especially the first few weeks. But I will say this, by the time I got to SJPP and walked up to Orison I didn't have to stop once and was not tired when I got there. Le Puy gets you in shape!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked my first Camino at age 70 (in 2009) ....but am fortunate to not have the need to make bathroom trips during the night....EXCEPT when I end up in a top bunk. Then, at least once. It must be a psychological thing as it really does happen. I never get up at home or in a hotel or in a bottom bunk.

There is a myth that old folks get the bottom bunks assigned to them. I have not experienced that lovely notion. :-(

Like many other veteran pilgrims here in the forum, I choose to use alternate accomondation whenever I can and free up the albergue beds for those whose budget require them....and because it more comfortable. :cool: :cool:
I can't say it is a myth. I do not walk in peak seasons because I do not like the heat or the crowds so maybe it is different. I also speak Spanish well enough to have a conversation. If I am not staying in a muni/donativo I always call ahead in the morning (to also check if they are open) and tell them my age and ask for a lower bunk. I have never been refused. I also try when possible to do just 20-23 or so km days, and usually arrive pretty early in the day. Once again walking in peak time may change the equation dramatically.

Your concern for others regarding your getting up at night is refreshing. Don't even worry about it. Just be quiet, use a red torch if needed. Most people will have earplugs anyway so won't hear a thing. Your getting up is nothing to the racket I've just experienced in albergues from people leaving to start their walk at 3.30am!

You could do as i will do hopefully this year!
Get a private room in an Albergue, Hostel or Hotel if your budget allows.
I cant see the fun in a bunk room environment;but i can see the pleasure of sharing a meal or drinks with fellow pilgrims
I get up three times a night and have no night vision at all so would defo wake people bumping into things and fumbling about!
I will also sleep better no snoring,no coughing,no farting,no sleep talking or head torches.
No STRESS
Woody
EdIT: I am also mentally scarred after living with a wife who for 34 years snored so loudly; my dentures would dance the Flamenco in the glass on the bedside table🤣

Mods :Thanks for the heads up on the spelling of Albergue, i should know that after 3 years of posting!
I must stop using the Cockney version of the word!
Stupid is as stupid does🤣 !!!!
(quote from the Greek philosopher Forrest Gump)
Best of luck! I get up for 3x a night and certainly have never worried about other pilgies! I am as quiet as I can be but when ya gotta go, ya gotta go! The wretched snorers don't seem too put out by disturbing everybody within a 50km radius! I have always been a light sleeper so when on the trail I am up and gone early anyway. My walking distance ( in my mid eighties) is now quite minimal so that's something else I don't worry about :)

Buen camino

Samarkand
Slightly off topic: To of you pilgrims older than me (55) and walk the Camino, thank you for inspiring this soon-to-be 1st timer. Hat tip to you all!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You OK! Keep on walking - most guys that drank too much beer get up anyway during the nights.

I walked part of my Camino last year in France, starting in Le Puy. I never ran into a bunkbed. The 7 Gites we stayed in were all 2 and 3 bed rooms, single beds. The bathroom was down the hall. At 75 getting up at night is a routine, but it in no way affected my walking the next day.

Enjoy France, you will love the countryside and the food.

buen camino Bob

I usually go to the bathroom at least once a night, and try to do it quietly. In regards to sleep, I use silicone ear plugs and melatonin. You need to start using melatonin beforehand as it takes a while for it to be effective.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I get up several times a night too. I often offer to take the bed nearest the WC, cause most people do not want it.
Only 1-2 times was it so dark that I could not see, or people had their packs laying half in the middle of the floor and I tripped over them. I often just take my phone and use the faint light from that, cupping my hand over it.
When I email an albergue to make a reservation, they seem to be fine reserving a bottom bunk for me when asked.
I do try and find the albergues that just have single beds as more and more of them do now. Stayed in a fair number of them this past Spring.

I'm a bit beyond the mid "70'S" and have your same concerns. Lower bunk is important. Less sleep=shorter days with a nap. Eat early when possible. Onward!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My experience of the Le Puy route was that accommodation was totally different to that in Spain, at least as far as private gîtes were concerned. We never stayed in a municipal as we never quite got to grips with how to reserve there.

My daughter and I stayed in private gîtes from Le Puy to Conques and the vast majority had beds not bunks. Also the 'dorms' were much smaller, often rooms with 3 or 4 beds though sometimes 6 or more. With less background noise, your night time excursions might be more obvious to others though you would definitely get a better nights sleep. Miam miam gives details of what sort of accommodation is available.
Another thing is that people did not tend to get up early as there was no point - breakfast was included and might not be until 7.30, and there are fewer places to get 'second breakfast' on the route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Listen, it you don't get up a couple of times a night, you're not drinking enough water on the route. Do try for a lower bunk, that ladder can be tricky in the night.

I have been allocated a top bunk just once☝️ in about 80 times of my experiences of sleeping in albergues. Boy oh boy, did those skinny ladder rungs kill my feet climbing up and down! I looked down longingly at my back pack and sandals on the floor below and realized all the more just how lucky I had been! I thought to myself, "I sure hope I brought everything up here that I need."🙄

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Buen camino

Samarkand
I love the sound of snoring! It means my people are here and they are asleep, bless them.
On the other hand if you're not partial to snoring might I suggest "Mighty Plugs". I can stretch one plug split in half for two weeks at least. They provide excellent sound dampening and are extremely comfortable.

Did first FC all alone at 76 and last year the PC from Lisbon and had my 80th bday on the walk. Just relax and enjoy it, always given a bottom bed. Did make use of private places where applicable. Both my daughter and I enjoyed every moment. Hoping to do some walking in Italy next year, while by Grace, still being healthy. Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Slightly off topic: To of you pilgrims older than me (55) and walk the Camino, thank you for inspiring this soon-to-be 1st timer. Hat tip to you all!
I am 76 yr old woman and walked fromm Leon to Santiago 315 km in April this year, no training. Walked 12 days. Thought I’ll die walking up to O’Cebreiro, but I didn’t ! Going to walk again with my gaughter in September. The only negative thing was walking alone.
My motto was : I’ts now or never , Maria

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Eating a couple of handfuls of pumpkin seeds are helpful for the bathroom problem. I am 72 and only go once during the night.

Don't worry about it. I had to get up once each night but I was quiet and tried not to disturb the others. Try to get the lower bunk if possible - it helps a lot.

I purchased a very small rechargeable penlight flashlight that I used almost every night. well worth the 5 bucks I spent on it.

Stay in a private room now and then but you'll miss a great deal of the experience if you stay in one every night.. I spent one night a week in a private room.

I am returning in October, god willing.

Mike

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’m the same age as you are and will embark onCamino Francés arraying the same age profile. I’d say you’d be fine. I’m going to strategise to get thru the whole thing: walk, bus, taxi, rest up, may try an e-bike for the Meseta. Enjoy your Le Puy.

I would not worry about waking up other pilgrims to go to the bathroom. A walk to the bathroom is far less noisy - if even noisy at all - than all the snoring that goes on in the albergues. Most pilgrims likely sleep with earplugs anyway. Enjoy the journey and just be you!

Buen Camino!

I get up 2-3 times per night and sleep in albergues sometimes even in a top bunk if no young pilgrim will change. Don’t worry it’s not a reason not to walk. Secondly, I’m sure if you get to bed by 9 and keep your distances to 15-20 km you’ll be fine. I think you’ll potentially sleep better from all the wonderful fresh air and exercise plus the Bon vie on the chemin. We are two ladies starting from Le Puy Sept 7th (ages 65 and 70ish) both seasoned pilgrims. Taking 12 days to Conques with short distances.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In many months as hospitalero, I have seen it happen often. Only rarely is it offered, but if the elderly pilgrim (or the hospitalero) asks, the younger folks are usually happy to cooperate.

My last partial Camino was in 2021, and had the same problem. Not a lot of fun when others with the same problem got to the bathrooms ahead of you. Had a prostate procedure afterwards and I rarely get up before dawn, and easier to hold it. Not for everyone, but mine is Agent Orange related.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had the same problem but with some research I've conquered the leaking. By simply standing upright and leaning back, squeeze you buttocks together, the pressure will force a more steady stream out. Buen Camino

I get up 2x a night to use the bathroom. Might this disturb other pilgrims

I also have this issue (age not disclosed). It might, but that is their problem.

A related issue is the way you light the pathway at night and early morning, no matter the activity.

The usual solution is to have a lightweight headlight that has both white and red lamps - use the red at night.

One other thing to consider - go to bed dressed with the tops and socks (and underwear?) to start the morning with. That way you will have some warmth for your night walks with the least inconvenience to others.

Secondly, would the decrease in sleep be an issue for my walking distances?
I have been training since 2012 and kept a log for every trip.

Discounting the first few years as not being typical for various reasons, I note my average local training trip is about 23 km with several well over 30 km and some approaching 40 km.

For me, sleep patterns do not seem to be factor. I am a very early riser with typically not early nights.

I am a few years older than you and now expect to be back in eastern France early September to continue walking to Rome.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, patient and confident)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lots of good chatter on #1 issue for the older men. I carry a pee jar as a staple in my camping gear to address those moments I get caught off guard. I have a camping friend who actually uses a zip lock plastic bag to address the need to go at any moment, especially in the rain and during extreme cold. Makes sense to me. But this is going to be a different environment for me and I wore think hard on how to minimize the issue in the hostels. Personally, I manage my problem by controlling my hydration intake, along with those other things which are so tempting to quench at the end of the day. Seems to work for me. I will be joining you all on July 21. SJDPT-SANT - Porto - FAN - LISB. I would really like to go see Picasso’s paintings while they’re in Spain.

I’m so impressed that you are doing another Camino! Sound sleep will be the best for your stamina and health. But tobe more affordable, some people stay in a private every third night, for example, and in albergues the other nights. Burn camino

Ask the hospitalero/a at check in if you can have a bottom bunk and explain that due to your age you may need to get up several times during the night. Use a dim light to find your way and you should not unduly affect other pilgrims.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lots of good chatter on #1 issue for the older men. I carry a pee jar as a staple in my camping gear to address those moments I get caught off guard. I have a camping friend who actually uses a zip lock plastic bag to address the need to go at any moment, especially in the rain and during extreme cold. Makes sense to me. But this is going to be a different environment for me and I wore think hard on how to minimize the issue in the hostels. Personally, I manage my problem by controlling my hydration intake, along with those other things which are so tempting to quench at the end of the day. Seems to work for me. I will be joining you all on July 21. SJDPT-SANT - Porto - FAN - LISB. I would really like to go see Picasso’s paintings while they’re in Spain.
In the hostels, the ready availability of bathrooms should hopefully make the use of such containers unnecessary. One of the differences between the Camino and the long distance hiking trails in North America is the level of infrastructure (hostels, bars, restaurants, pharmacies, etc.) which makes it much easier to walk carrying much less.

Take note of the number of pilgrims who have...and still are...walking the various routes at age 75 plus and many over 80 years old.

Age is not the basis of whether or not you can do it....it is conditioning and physical health.
I know, I did it in the wron order.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'd say locate yourself near the WC in your albergue when possible. Trade with someone so you can also have a bottom bunk when needed. Is it ever really quiet in an albergue? Even if you have only one roommate and odds are greater that there will be no snoring...there is. :) Do any of us really sleep well in an albergue? I think you'll be just fine. Pace yourself and enjoy all your camino will provide. PS. I too am in my 70's and plan to be walking the Del Norte in its entirety this Oct/Nov. Buen Camino.

Re using a torch ... problem with a headband torch is that if someone stirs and you look you blind them!
Red light is best for not disturbing folk and is easy to do - buy a boiled sweet (actually a bag of sweets!) that have a clear red wrapper and use an elastic band to fix it over the lens (after you have eaten the sweet (candy)).

There is a myth that old folks get the bottom bunks assigned to them. I have not experienced that lovely notion.
When i was at Dozon municial albergue the other year, they insisted I had to sleep on a top bunk. So, fine if it had been a steel bunk bed, but this was wood. Also I weighed about 130kg. So some guy who was small and probably quite light was below me and I got on this bunk, not fully, but all everyone heard was a cracking noise and the guy below me jumped out of his bed so quickly. He looked generally fearful that i was going to come through that night and squash him. Needless to say I slept on the floor on an air mattress. Which is probably where I got the bed bugs from. :p

But I am not a light person and top bunks when made from wood are a no go. Steel bunk beds, yeah fine.

I wouldn't worry about waking people up. I also head to the toilet a couple of times per night, I have a red light torch and get on with it.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.