• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mindfulness on the camino

Hanne

Hurricane-Hanne
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés(2007&2008), Finesterre&Muxía(5times), Portugués(2009), Aragonés(2008), Primitivo(2011), Vasco del interiór(2012), Inglés(2009), Via de la Plata(2013&2015), Sanabrés(2013), Del Norte(2013), San Salvador(2015) and Inverno(2015).
Camino Baztan and Le Puy in the future.
Camino de Santiago is a good place to practice Mindfulness, so don't bring a lot of electric gear with you.
The Silence and being present is good for you, so leave the mobil and/or tablet switched off most of the time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Camino de Santiago is a good place to practice Mindfulness, so don't bring a lot of electric gear with you.
The Silence and being present is good for you, so leave the mobil and/or tablet switched off most of the time.
Yes - to a certain extent. But a mobile (cell) phone should be accessible and able to be quickly operated in case of accident, illness or attack. It would, in my opinion, be foolish to walk these days without one, especially for a woman alone. Think how, this year, relatives have been crazy with worry when there has been no contact with a loved one. And yes, silence is desirable - a stillness of mind, but this shouldn't mean one can't take some photos.

Yes - to a certain extent. But a mobile (cell) phone should be accessible and able to be quickly operated in case of accident, illness or attack. It would, in my opinion, be foolish to walk these days without one, especially for a woman alone. s.

Hmm. I respectfully disagree. I walk every year without a phone, when I'm alone. I love it. I got through life without a cell phone for over 55 years. I only carry one now when I must.

This is a personal decision like 'shoes or boots.' ☺️

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes - to a certain extent. But a mobile (cell) phone should be accessible and able to be quickly operated in case of accident, illness or attack. It would, in my opinion, be foolish to walk these days without one, especially for a woman alone. Think how, this year, relatives have been crazy with worry when there has been no contact with a loved one. And yes, silence is desirable - a stillness of mind, but this shouldn't mean one can't take some photos.
I am refering to all the pilgrims, I have seen, being online constantly on the Camino.
They are not present at all.

Cell phones and other devices I believe have been destructive to personal social interaction. People would rather phone, text or email rather than having face time. On my Camino I am only carrying my cell phone for photos of people I meet and befriend. It will remain on airplane mode or turned off.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mindfulness.
Already I hate the word.
I did the first time I came across it.
How is it possible to hate a word when you don't even really know what it means?
I'm going to get a huge yellow foam hammer and hit people on the head with it whenever I see or hear them use the word.
I've got a terrible feeling it's going to become a popular word.
I think me and my hammer are going to be kept busy.

Last edited:
I remember reading that if you dont have grace with you will not find it magically by walking the Camino. A phone is useful to have and being connected is part of the modern world. Having the sense to turn the damn thing off and only use it now and then to reassure loved ones that you have not entirely become a walking hobo (rather like Forrest Gump who just walked) is neccessary to allow yourself some headspace. Everybody has their own approach to this and indeed some people would very much not like to confront themeselves and their own thoughts and work hard to continually have noise around themselves at all times. Id alwsys have a phone but it is usually off apart from every now and agian.

On the subject of what people choose to take, I once shared a hostel with a very well dressed man who wore a suite with a collar and tie and carried a hair dryer in his pack. On another occaision I cycled past a man on his electric bike who had tapped into the propulsion battery to power a humungous hifi system. His music of choice was 1970 disco. I love meeting all the Camino characters (and I Suspect that I have been a "camino character for others on occaisions) but I do make sure I have time and space for myself too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am a computer engineer since 1974. We are moving in the wrong direction. I quote George Orwell, the author of the famous novel "1984": "The day humans talk more to machines than to each other, is the beginning of the end of humans."

Spanish serious cafe:

1461006_580508272020492_1395500578_n.jpg

Last edited:
Public phones were plentiful in the good old days and I would happily walk phone free and check in with family every few days. Now I carry a phone, a lightweight flip job that is almost indestructible. It has no camera or wifi connectivity, it is just a phone. I still only ring home every 3-4 days but family members know that they can send me a text if they need me to ring. They also know that they will have to be patient because the phone is off while I am walking.

Like most people, I use a smartphone when I'm home. It pings when an email or Facebook message comes through and there is the constant temptation to check the message immediately. I could of course turn off those notifications or not have the apps open but I have been sucked in by the idea of thinking I needed to give people an immediate reply.

Thank you for posting this message Hanne, I have often reflected on ways to bring the Camino mindfulness (ouch! sorry for using the dreaded word, Gerard) into my "real" life and have just found one way to do so. I'm going to stand firm and close the Fb and email apps on my phone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
[...]I quote George Orwell, the author of the famous novel "1984": "The day humans talk more to machines than to each other, is the beginning of the end of humans."[...]
It's not so much that people are talking to machines but to each other by means of machines. They'll stay human but don't detach themselves from their usual contacts and daily habits from which they should be when on holiday (Camino). Otherwise it would be more logical, and cheaper, to stay at home.:eek:

I don't get this telling other people what they should and shouldn't do on the Camino. It is not the same thing as helping people with their choices on clothing and boots etc, it appears to me to be more trying to control how other people should think or act.

Why should other people practice 'mindfulness' or 'be present' if that is not their choice? Each of us walks the Camino in a way that suits ourselves, and as long as it does no harm to others, then leave other people to their choices.

It is great to state your opinion here.., but remember it is just your opinion and don't expect everyone to agree with it.
Be respectful of other opinions.
So true. It just gets a bit rough when someone's opinion starts with "everyone should...". That often creates friction or, at least, a response with friction.

Mindfulness.
Already I hate the word.
How is it possible to hate a word when you don't even really know what it means? I dislike it so intensely I can't bring myself to find out.
It makes me feel sick in my stomach.
I'm going to get a huge yellow foam hammer and hit people on the head with it whenever I see or hear them use the word.

Right up there with 'Closure' for me.

Personally, I will take my iPhone in order to take photos on the Camino. I will not be calling people while I am on the road. At night I may use my phone to text my family back home. I will inform my family as to where I've been and where I am going. This is so they will not worry so much. If there is no wifi-not to worry. I will live without it. Buen Camino.

Raised a 'Roman Catholic' but having been a Buddhist practitioner for most of my life, I have watched mindfulness become increasingly popular and a global phenomenon. Truly a wonderful thing. However... I remember with great affection my first teacher (Rinpoche) telling me that at some point I would have to stop 'practicing' and get up from the silence of my meditation cushions, go out into the world and live my mindfulness. Remembering always that mindfulness is just noticing what is, not judging, not striving, not trying to control anything.

Rinpoche taught me to be present in the Great Silence but also amid the busyness of the world.

I carried my trusty iPhone. It was my journal, my camera, my guidebook, my maps, my hotel booking agent, my medical advice, my library as well as just a phone. I posted updates on a friend subscription only blog. This included our friends from an Early Onset Dementia program where we volunteer. They walked with us all the Way to Santiago and were full of delightful questions on our return. Two of our 'blog' friends are now planning their own Camino. There are positives to technology, too.

This is Mindfulness in the modern world for me but I appreciate that is also very much a different experience for each individual.

Buen Camino All, www.connected or not.

Last edited:
When people decides to walk Camino de Santiago, many also starts making changes in their life: Often it's about they stopped working, had a divorce, wants to stop smoking or drinking, loose weight or stop being on-line all the time and/ or having less stress in life.
About the "constant being on-line-thing", then it's not just a bad habit in the Y-Generation (I know some Millenians were being off-line a lot of time, and not on Facelook etc. is the new thing to do).
This thread is for thinking about habits and make changes in time. And on Camino de Santiago you have plenty of time !

When people decides to walk Camino de Santiago, many also starts making changes in their life: Often it's about they stopped working, had a divorce, wants to stop smoking or drinking, loose weight or stop being on-line all the time and/ or having less stress in life.
About the "constant being on-line-thing", then it's not just a bad habit in the Y-Generation (I know some Millenians were being off-line a lot of time, and not on Facelook etc. is the new thing to do).
This thread is for thinking about habits and make changes in time. And on Camino de Santiago you have plenty of time !

This might be true for some people but my personal experience is different.
Especially after my last Camino I came to the realisation that my life is quite good as it is and that I don't need big changes.
Mindfullness to me : walking is a meditation in itself ( I literally have a blank mind while walking ), going to the pub with friends, playing scrabble online ( yes on my smartphone ) with a friend on the other side of the world or like now just sitting on the couch with cat on lap....
Phew not easy to explain myself here...;)

Dear Hanne,I would not dream of going on the Camino or anywhere else in fact without my very simple little phone. I text my children and grandchildren every day and make no apology to anyone for this.its also useful as an alarm clock as we don't now stay in the albergues. I also take an iPad to Skype my family in the evening in the privacy of my roomand to take photos to send them.Horror of horrors ,I also listen to an iPod when walking.my music is important to me and it certainly does not stop me interacting with others at the cafes. In fact I just might talktoo much to too many people and my husband often has to intervene or we might never get going at all!!! In fact listening to music enables me to see the beauty that surrounds us and gives me a spring in my step. But that is just me.we often see people with I pods singing at the top of their voices and I can feel their joy .its certainly better than the alternative! On our recent Camino we met a man who was totally against any kind of gizmos on the way, but he was certainly not averse to using mine on 3 occasions!!!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This might be true for some people but my personal experience is different.
Especially after my last Camino I came to the realisation that my life is quite good as it is and that I don't need big changes.
Mindfullness to me : walking is a meditation in itself ( I literally have a blank mind while walking ), going to the pub with friends, playing scrabble online ( yes on my smartphone ) with a friend on the other side of the world or like now just sitting on the couch with cat on lap....
Phew not easy to explain myself here...;)

Actually you explain yourself very well indeed. I am constantly thankful for just how good my life is. Yes, I've had my share of illnesses, injuries, problems and stresses but then, who hasn't?

I used to go on many regular Silent Meditation Retreats (my husband used to offer to pay to come along and watch as @Annette london would appreciate!). Somewhere along those Ways my body got restless and tired of sitting and I discovered Walking Meditation (Thich Nhat Hanh). From that point on I was off - every walk for me is a pilgrimage of sorts and every landscape stays with me. I struggle to describe it but it is as though I have so much more spaciousness within. It is a quality found in mountaineers - their eyes mirror the landscape of their souls. It is why I loved the Meseta and our long treks in remote parts of Australia.

I appreciate @Hanne's point about taking time out but, like @SabineP, I'm enjoying being in this skin too much to need to step out of it. I am indeed fortunate.

Perhaps I should leave my last words for St Augustine (also attributed to Diogenes and others): Solvitur ambulance - It is solved by walking.

And on the Camino, in our own varied and unique ways, so it is.

I am a computer engineer since 1974. We are moving in the wrong direction. I quote George Orwell, the author of the famous novel "1984": "The day humans talk more to machines than to each other, is the beginning of the end of humans."

Spanish serious cafe:

View attachment 21981

I remember that cafe, somewhere after Sarria. It also had a HUGE TV turned on, which I felt rather spoilt the effect.

What is mindfulness?
At its simplest, mindfulness means being aware of what you are doing while you are doing it. This means being aware that you are breathing, walking, driving, running, making a phone call, cooking a meal and so on. When you have thoughts, notice that you have thoughts and come back to awareness of what you are actually doing. When you are emotional just notice the emotion – not trying to deepen it and not trying to push it away – and come back to awareness of what you are doing.

Like @gerardcarey I hate the way Mindfulness is being bandied around at the moment, here at home people are offering Mindfulness courses for €450 plus another €79 for a Mindfulness iPod with suitable music which kinda defeats the purpose of unplugging that some say is necessary to practice it. To me this is just cashing in on people who have more money than Mindfulness.
The easiest thing is to just do it yourself as per the description above IMO.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ah, I had a discussion with a colleague today who had been to a course on Directed Mindfulness. It sounded slightly less bad than sitting on the floor cross legged for five days, in complete silence.

What is mindfulness?
At its simplest, mindfulness means being aware of what you are doing while you are doing it. This means being aware that you are breathing, walking, driving, running, making a phone call, cooking a meal and so on. When you have thoughts, notice that you have thoughts and come back to awareness of what you are actually doing. When you are emotional just notice the emotion – not trying to deepen it and not trying to push it away – and come back to awareness of what you are doing..
This is a perfect and simple description of mindfulnes. I like practicing it when I am driving, especially long distances and yes, cooking. Méditation is not about blocking thoughts or not having them. In like the analogy of whatching the train go by and not getting on it, or watching the river flow but not jumping in the river. Just watch.

"Learn the value of Flight Mode, padawan!"

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This is a perfect and simple description of mindfulnes. I like practicing it when I am driving, especially long distances and yes, cooking. Méditation is not about blocking thoughts or not having them. In like the analogy of whatching the train go by and not getting on it, or watching the river flow but not jumping in the river. Just watch.

One of the best explanations of meditation that I ever heard was from my first Buddhist teacher. He told me to imagine that I was sitting on a grassy hill above a busy highway just watching the traffic: white car, black truck, motorcycle, blue station wagon... just noticing and letting go... he said that if I began to wonder about what make of vehicle, what year, what speed it could go, I should just bring myself back to noticing and letting go... if I progressed to wondering about where the vehicles came from and where they were heading, I should bring myself back to just noticing and letting go... and if I got to the stage where I found myself riding in or driving one of the vehicles, I should get up and go for a walk because it would be a much better way for me to calm my busy mind.

I'm walking still... and more the model of Full Catastrophe Living care of Jon Kabat-Zinn who taught us to cultivate mindfulness in everyday life back in early 1990s.

Last edited:
What is mindfulness?
At its simplest, mindfulness means being aware of what you are doing while you are doing it. This means being aware that you are breathing, walking, driving, running, making a phone call, cooking a meal and so on. When you have thoughts, notice that you have thoughts and come back to awareness of what you are actually doing. When you are emotional just notice the emotion – not trying to deepen it and not trying to push it away – and come back to awareness of what you are doing.

Like @gerardcarey I hate the way Mindfulness is being bandied around at the moment, here at home people are offering Mindfulness courses for €450 plus another €79 for a Mindfulness iPod with suitable music which kinda defeats the purpose of unplugging that some say is necessary to practice it. To me this is just cashing in on people who have more money than Mindfulness.
The easiest thing is to just do it yourself as per the description above IMO.

Totally agree. As soon as someone puts a 'name' on something that is common knowledge or common sense, it gets sold as a product...... and becomes fashionable.
What a load of 'Hog Wash' ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah, but mindfulness is not easy to pratice. Alas.

I hope to learn to be mindful of others, allowing them do do as they will. There are rights and wrongs but I need to be mindful of the Golden Rule "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Thank you for making me aware of my prejudice..... Willy, Utah, USA

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had planned on bringing my i-phone with me, but accidently left it on my kitchen table. This was a big mistake. I wished I had it the entire month. Trying to find someone to send a message or email to my husband each day so he would know I was ok and had a place to sleep, meant asking strangers if they had wifi. Walking alone meant it was a tiny bit scary on occasion, though nothing bad ever happened. There were festivals in some of the towns and booking a bed or room would have been nice. I felt like I was overly dependent on others to help me out and this was not a good feeling.

Bought a cheap BIC phone in Pamplona that was next to useless, and which didn't work 3/4ths of the time I was walking. Any bit of dampness made it stop working.

So, yes, bring a phone, but stay off of it at night especially when others are trying to sleep and don't talk on it while walking. The Spaniards walking the Camino are actually quite bad about this, including having their phones ring in churches and then answering them!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
:)
I so wish I had been around when this thread was active. I'd have definitely wanted to chime in.
But alas, I was teaching a m*********s retreat (the traditional Buddhist kind, rather than the expensive commercialized variety...)
(Ducking and running from gerard's foam hammer....)

Seriously? It's become the next trendy quick fix...which it's not.
And to reply in short to the OP: A phone call is no less valid an object of awareness than breath or any other mind/body object. Why the preference for or against things?

Phones, and other electronic devices are just tools, the mindfulness is when and how to use them ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Quite right.... There were a couple of times when being able to talk to my wife about issues she had at home and challenges I was facing about continuing to walk, allowed us both to be far more aware of what we were facing and how to help each other overcome our hurdles. It reduced our worry and stress and allowed us both to appreciate each others situations far better and help each other through them.

With no phone.........I would probably have gone home after 2 weeks worried and stressed about her..... (Long story)

There's awareness (mindfulness), and the knowing of what is worth paying attention to and how to pay attention to it. If the attitude is skillful, it doesn't' matter one iota what I pay attention to. It's not the object that matters but the quality of care and attentiveness. And as @Robo has just said, sometimes it is necessary and more useful to be contact than to be sealed off in a silent bubble. Besides, if I can't be present in the midst of everything, what good is this midfulness? It's not meant to be precious.

But to be fair...the silence mentioned by the OP is also valuable. It's just not something to cling to--or to expect from others. [I have to admit when I most need to cultivate mindfulness is when I'm annoyed by someone not acting according to my wishes or too-high standards. If I'm not careful I get foot-in-mouth disease--which is a dreadfully contagious disease (all the mods will no doubt attest to this...:confused::)). ]

After a Christmas family celebration several pictures were emailed around the family. One picture that was taken showed four people - we probably had 35 people in the home at the time - all four in the picture were not talking to family members, but were doing whatever one feels is so important to be doing on a mobile phone. It was a stunning example of what can happen when we choose to allow a machine to run our lives and close our hearts and minds to those around us.

It left quite an impression on me. I may not be a Luddite, but I easily forget to ever turn my phone on. It does upset people at times, but they all know that I don't care to talk much on a phone. I will read an email.

Do what you think is best for you, but there is much wisdom in being present with the world right in front of our eyes.

Do what you think is best for you, but there is much wisdom in being present with the world right in front of our eyes.
And even where there's no wisdom here and now, at least there's the choice to be here.
It's the balance that's important, IMO. And keeping connected--really connected, not in a faux-virtual way--with the world around us. Sometimes being on one's device is skillful (as Robo describes), sometimes (as in your very good example @MichaelB10398) obviously not.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So, yes, bring a phone, but stay off of it at night especially when others are trying to sleep and don't talk on it while walking. The Spaniards walking the Camino are actually quite bad about this, including having their phones ring in churches and then answering them!

I would put my phone on flight mode while walking as this conserved the battery but still allowed me to take photos, and just check it when I got a chance to sit down. I would do a FB post for the folks back at home on a daily basis. Just pick your times when you are going to use it...and take earplugs so that others don't have to be aware of you!

The Way is personal to everyone. We all walk for our own reasons and in our own way. Just as we live our own way. I've been harassed over the past two years I many hostels and camping grounds for using a laptop at night either to work, blog or watch movies. But what makes sitting around talking any "better" than choosing to do other things.

I work while traveling so I can continue to travel. Airfares, food and accommodation aren't free and I don't like to freeload so I work. Instead of spending years tied to my job to save, I have managed to find a way to travel now and earn some money for my next journey while traveling.

In relation to blogging. My family and friends are important to me. I want to share my stories with them so that when I return home I can focus on their lives not mine. There's nothing worse than being away a long time and coming home to retell your story while overlooking the experiences family and friends had during the same period. By staying connected from the road we can strengthen our bonds rather than put them on hold.

In relation to watching movies, I love them the way some people love to read. It's my favourite story telling genre because I am an incredibly visual person. I watch movies with earphones away from sleeping areas so I don't disturb others. Besides, sometimes I want me time without having to interact with others after a long day.

I'm not saying I'm anti social. I balance nights on my computer with night's socialising. But don't judge others for their way of living and communicating. Not everyone is in a place where they require the mindfulness approach.

I think the best approach is to live and let live. Accept everyone for who they are and for the way they chose to experience life.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Totally agree with you Michael. During Christmas I also discovered the same thing.
But the cellphone is a safety device in many places..as we don't have any phone booths anymoore.
I am going to bring mine, so I can stay in contact with the relatives at home.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a difference between bringing a cell phone for emergencies and walking down the Camino mindlessly chatting with someone 5000 miles away and literally not seeing what's around you.

I too must work while I'm on the Camino. I'm self employed without any employees. As such, I'm mindful of not causing noise pollution on the Camino. I make calls away from others so they don't have to hear or see me conducting business. This is mainly accomplished by staying in private rooms at albergues or cheap hotel rooms.

I think the best approach is to live and let live. Accept everyone for who they are and for the way they chose to experience life.

that's a marvelous approach to life when combined with a very good dosage of consideration and realization how other might be affected by ones actions!
"the live and let live" stance to pilgrim life has provided me with numerous sleep-disturbed nights in dorms where pilgrims just had to blog away or watch movies - with the iPad or laptop screen fully alighted (if that's the correct word) and/or the patter-tapper of the keyboard. yes, it's audible and visible (also w/ earplugs and eyemask).
To me that was not 'live and let live' but rather a testimony of a more self-absorbed approach to life. "i do what i want and see fit, and you shut up and deal with the consequences of my behaviour and leave me alone".
What one does in private space is one matter, when one continues w/ same behaviour in public space, it becomes an entire different matter with a different set of impacts.
it is fabuluous that you have a close relationship with friends and family far away across continents. and i am also quite sure that people who are near at the moment when you connect with afar, would really appreciate your mindfulness of what's 'near' and not just what's 'afar'.
I am grateful for chaps like RobertS26 (who also replied) who is in a similar circumstance like you income wise - and keeps his business conduct separate. Great consideration!

and yes 'The Way is personal to everyone" --- but it's conducted and takes place in a public space and not in ones own backyard.

Cheers, C

Last edited:
As I read this thread, I have been asking myself what I did with my mind while walking my camino last fall. I think it would best be described as "mindlessness." I let it go on holiday. Mostly I just put one foot in front of the other and noticed the scenery when it brought itself to my attention. I took some photos with my ipad. I prayed a lot, mostly intercessory prayer, which has a bad rap - definitely several steps down from contemplation. And I didn't even pray for world peace or the conversion of the heathen (joke). I just put the needs and sorrows of individual people and families before God, and ignored the fact that He/She is undoubtedly fully aware of them. But as far as I can tell, God was reasonably pleased with my spiritually immature efforts. At least, I was much blessed. I may try it again sometime.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If I may add a bit more to this thread, I will be bringing my iPhone with me. The main reason being that I am deaf, and I can type on the notepad to communicate face to face to others which I might encounter. I have done this often, and use the microphone function to let people speak to my phone and transcribe what was said. I bring back up batteries to keep my phone alive. It is a communication facilitator for me. Please don't sneer at people who need to use phones for information or communication, especially deaf people.

"the live and let live" stance to pilgrim life has provided me with numerous sleep-disturbed nights in dorms where pilgrims just had to blog away or watch movies - with the iPad or laptop screen fully alighted (if that's the correct word) and/or the patter-tapper of the keyboard. yes, it's audible and visible (also w/ earplugs and eyemask)

I think that was more to do with a folks being very inconsiderate, rather than smartphones.

I was only truly bothered by a phone once... Someone was playing a game and the beeping drove me totally nuts. Oh and one night where that Samsung whistle notification woke folks! I was disturbed much more often by plastic bags being packed in the mornings... Or window wars in the dorm... Or by the click click of poles... Oh... Or head torches in my face... I'm sure there were other things too... And I think I learned a few lesson en route about sharing space with so many different people. :D

I always feel just a tiny bit judged with these threads.... Which maybe says more about me!! (Another lessen for me ) Just because someone is looking at a smartphone doesn't mean they are connected... I read three books via my kindle app on the cf. I took 100s of photos and loved looking at them each day. I kept a blog and made notes via the phone... I had a couple of Camino apps that helped me choose where next. I'm just repeating others here I know, but holding a phone doesn't mean I'm connected... I just means I've got a different tool than you.

Also... Sometimes I was done talking... Sometimes I wanted some alone time... So I'd get out my phone and go read on my bunk or at a coffee stop... I think we all need to be lost in our own company sometimes don't we?

I don't think I've ever seen one thread on here that said... Don't leave the phone at home... But there are so many that say do. I totally appreciate that we should all be mindful of others... On or off the Camino... But the issues raised are about people and not their belongings aren't they? :oops:

[...] I totally appreciate that we should all be mindful of others... On or off the Camino... But the issues raised are about people and not their belongings aren't they? :oops:
...sitting one evening in a pretty empty restaurant (pretty early for Spanish standards..) two elder couples walked in, sat on the table, ordered their meals and all four got busy on their iPad, tablet, or whatever other gadget I could not identify. They didn't talk to each other, just were individually busy.
Amazed I interrupted their go-about and asked, not being very mindful, why they were so busy acting separately from each other instead of enjoying a convivial opportunity. One of them patiently explained that, although the food was not what had excited them particularly in this place, at least here they could use WiFi and communicate with their family abroad. Hony soit qui mal y pense!:rolleyes:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Mindfulness can also be practiced while using your gadgets or you tech or anything really.

Mindfullness is more about being present in the now, only doing one thing at a time and noticing yourself, your surroundings....then ditching your tech.

GRANTED, most (a lot, some, quite few) people have a harder time doing this WHEN they have their tech with them. But practice makes perfekt and if you actually do wander off into The Internet when you are supposed to be talking to your friends on the Camino, perhaps you just might notice your erroneous ways ;)

Mindfullness is pretty nifty and I try to practice it throughout the day.....but don't take my tech away.....pretty please hehe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mindfulness.
Already I hate the word.
How is it possible to hate a word when you don't even really know what it means?
Isn't "mindfulness" just a pseudo-scientific way to say "F* *ff, it's me-time!" ?

Buen camino
Miguel

Isn't "mindfulness" just a pseudo-scientific way to say "F* *ff, it's me-time!" ?

Buen camino
Miguel

No it is not. Mindfulness finds his origin in the theory of professor Kabat Zinn and has scientific objective grounds.

It is not about ME time on the contrary. With mindfulness one is completely anchored in one's surroundings and aware of others and society in general.
Mindfulness is not about sitting on your own yogamat in your own bubble.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.