• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My conundrum ....

ShellsG

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept/Oct. 2015)
I will be checking my backpack on my flight from British Columbia to Paris. What do I then use as a carry-on. I will need a few things on the plane with me, I always carry a few toiletries, my valuables and something to keep me occupied during the flight. I am thinking of using my Gregory daypack and then just having to stuff it into my backpack while I do my Camino. What do others do??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maybe a nylon dittybag?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To avoid having my backpack lost or damaged, I carry it on. I tighten the straps so that it fits within the airlines' required dimensions. I check my walking poles and anything else that the airline won't let me take inside, like my pocket knife, packed in a lightweight nylon bag (tent bag- the tent stays at home). Travel plans would be severely impacted if your backpack didn't arrive when you were ready to begin your Camino. I wear my hiking boots on the plane for the same reason.

Use whatever you will use to carry valuables and easy-access things along the camino - for example, hidden pocket, shoulder bag or waist pouch. I take a string backpack (see picture) on the camino. It is very lightweight (I made one that weighs 60 g) and is useful for the evenings, rest days in the cities, and the plane journey, but is not adequate for carrying any significant weight. You can also use it to organize clothes or be a pillow if needed.

In fact, I will carry my main backpack in the cabin, along with the string bag for easy access during the flight (so I don't have to go into the overhead bin to get anything). I will check a disposable small bag/box with my walking poles, sleeping bag, and knife. The sleeping bag could go in my backpack as carry-on but might start getting close to the limits. If my checked bag is delayed, it is not a disaster.

Attachments

• pack.jpg
    pack.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 15
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My backpack will be checked through
Hi Shells, a daypack could be a nuisance when you are walking the Camino (unless it's a super-light one that folds away to nothing). I typically take a cotton or nylon shopping bag, which I also find useful on the Camino.
Nuala
I am thinking it will be a nuisance too carry too and I like the idea of a cotton shopping bag yet I keep asking myself, what will I carry for my 4 days in Paris that I have after the Camino. I still have 6 weeks before I leave, maybe the right bag will present itself to me.

To avoid having my backpack lost or damaged, I carry it on. I tighten the straps so that it fits within the airlines' required dimensions. I check my walking poles and anything else that the airline won't let me take inside, like my pocket knife, packed in a lightweight nylon bag (tent bag- the tent stays at home). Travel plans would be severely impacted if your backpack didn't arrive when you were ready to begin your Camino. I wear my hiking boots on the plane for the same reason.
My backpack is going to be checked through, poles, walking shoes and all (with the exception of a set of clothes and my birkenstocks of course)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Use whatever you will use to carry valuables and easy-access things along the camino - for example, hidden pocket, shoulder bag or waist pouch. I take a string backpack (see picture) on the camino. It is very lightweight (I made one that weighs 60 g) and is useful for the evenings, rest days in the cities, and the plane journey, but is not adequate for carrying any significant weight. You can also use it to organize clothes or be a pillow if needed.

In fact, I will carry my main backpack in the cabin, along with the string bag for easy access during the flight (so I don't have to go into the overhead bin to get anything). I will check a disposable small bag/box with my walking poles, sleeping bag, and knife. The sleeping bag could go in my backpack as carry-on but might start getting close to the limits. If my checked bag is delayed, it is not a disaster.
I like the idea of that bag, will keep my eyes open for something similar to it. I need something I can carry around Paris with me for a few days after the Camino. My backpack is being checked through. It would take a lot for my trip to be considered a disaster, even having my backpack arrive late would not create such an event.

The ubiquitous super-market disposable carrier bag does the job. And when you have retrieved your pack provides a handy receptacle for some light-hearted litter-picking along the way.
LOL, certainly not opposed to picking up litter along the way but I need something a bit more substantial than a grocery bag.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
AH, yes, thats exactly it ... now to find one here. Thank you.

I have something called a "dry bag," waterproof, weighs 275g., has lightweight padded shoulder straps and a waist belt, can be used to carry dry clothes and valuables to the shower, on the plane, for shopping and day use in cities, and possibly for a day pack if I decide to send my bag by a carrier service. Multi-purpose gear is always a good idea. Have a look in your local MEC store or on-line to see what is available. Good luck.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I caution my clients to CARRY ON their backpacks!
More than one pilgrim has checked and LOST their backpacks - and had to buy all new gear in Madrid.
If I were you, I'd carry my pack on the plane and check any overload that I could afford to lose.

I sciba dive and have no choice to check thousands of dollars worth of equipment, so camino gear does get checked. All I do when diving is arrive 24 hours,before the boat leaves, in case it takes my equipment longer to arrive.

As for a day pack, I would say a nylon shopping back, rather large, like a duffle, to carry back home all you'd buy in Madrid. As for Paris, all you need is pockets. Best way to avoid pick pockets. All you'll have on is Euros, credit card and a map, no? Map in hand, rest in deep pockets.

I have done a lot of travelling, my backpack will be checked and I will deal with lost or delayed bags then. So, back to the bag for flight, I need more in Paris because I will be shopping (of course), I do not want use disposable bags, so, having something on the plane which I can use in Paris and at home afterwords is what I am after. I have seen a couple of on the MEC site that I may go look at. That Sea to Summit is still my first choice at this point in time and next would be a nylon shopping bag, would be perfect if it had a zipper closure or a snap closure.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That Sea to Summit is still my first choice at this point in time and next would be a nylon shopping bag, would be perfect if it had a zipper closure or a snap closure.
I own and carry an LLBean nylon.zipperd duffle bag. Folds up smaller than a nectarine. When I fly I throw camino clothes in it, and shopping goes in back pack, and that is when I check duffle.

I own and carry an LLBean nylon.zipperd duffle bag. Folds up smaller than a nectarine. When I fly I throw camino clothes in it, and shopping goes in back pack, and that is when I check duffle.
Thank you, I will check that out as well.

I will be checking my backpack on my flight from British Columbia to Paris. What do I then use as a carry-on. I will need a few things on the plane with me, I always carry a few toiletries, my valuables and something to keep me occupied during the flight. I am thinking of using my Gregory daypack and then just having to stuff it into my backpack while I do my Camino. What do others do??
I use a ZPack chest bag. It can attach to the from of my pack or go over my shoulder or around my waist. Its small and pricy, but very light and water resistant. I carried my camera, Mini tripod, tablet, electronics charger, charging cables, passports, tickets when needed, and snacks in mine. If your looking for a bag for Paris souvenirs I would just buy a small nylon duffel there. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will carry my backpack on, it's small and I'm not taking much at all. I'm spending a few days in Paris too! An elderly lady in Lisbon told me to never, ever leave my hotel without a "Market Tote", one of those woven bags ladies carry to the grocery. Makes you look like a local, carries a lot, very lightweight, cheap so if you lose it you're not heartbroken, and she said it was stylish. If I'm gonna be a bag lady, I definitely want to be stylish.

I will carry my backpack on, it's small and I'm not taking much at all. I'm spending a few days in Paris too! An elderly lady in Lisbon told me to never, ever leave my hotel without a "Market Tote", one of those woven bags ladies carry to the grocery. Makes you look like a local, carries a lot, very lightweight, cheap so if you lose it you're not heartbroken, and she said it was stylish. If I'm gonna be a bag lady, I definitely want to be stylish.
Will make you look like a local? My guess is that it would take much more than one of those to make me look like a local!

Hi Shells,
We will be shipping a box ahead with our trecking polls and whatever else we need but won't be able to carry on the plane. We travel light and try to mostly just pack carryon bags. In this case it will be our rucksacks. I am trying to avoid the one off chance it may get lost. It's a greater peace of mind knowing I'm in possession of my gear.
We will be staying in the hotels and not the hostels so will ship the box directly to our first hotel.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Shells,
We will be shipping a box ahead with our trecking polls and whatever else we need but won't be able to carry on the plane. We travel light and try to mostly just pack carryon bags. In this case it will be our rucksacks. I am trying to avoid the one off chance it may get lost. It's a greater peace of mind knowing I'm in possession of my gear.
We will be staying in the hotels and not the hostels so will ship the box directly to our first hotel.

I don't know where you're shipping your poles and other items from, but don't be surprised if they are not there because customs will want their money and usually the hotel won't pay for it, just check it in, it's not that much of a hassle compared to paying ransom to customs to get your stuff back.

I don't know where you're shipping your poles and other items from, but don't be surprised if they are not there because customs will want their money and usually the hotel won't pay for it, just check it in, it's not that much of a hassle compared to paying ransom to customs to get your stuff back.
Hi,
We would be shipping ahead from California and sending ahead to a hotel in Paris. I guess I don't understand about the customs wanting their money.
I did that two years ago with personal it's and the hotel was kind enough to hold it for us until we picked it up.
I haven't had experience with customs other than purchasing and sending something from home. It is my understanding we are allowed something like $800 duty free?
I appreciate your advice and any onsite you have I appreciate it. I seriously wouldn't want to lose my items.

Interested in your experience.
Thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Shells
macpac and many others sell a soft pack like a super lightweight day pack. Same material used as those lightweight toiletry or stuff sacks.
Mine has shoulder straps & zipper and scrunches into nothing but is strong and u use it for on board. I can fit heaps if I choose.
Warm top , all valuables, water bottle (sometimes empty!) & anything to read etc

When on trail , this goes in last into my backpack. When I arrive , this has everything I need all together and can take into the shower, to the shops, out etc
Annie

I feel the same way and this was emphasized last week when I met two pilgrims from Canada whose backpacks were list by their airline. The packs didn't catch up with them into five days into the Camino.

Sea to summit pack it is less thn 16 grams and you can tie your travel document wallet inside.

Highly recommended as i got my bag attacked by pick pockets twice. Once by a well dressed indian, the other by a thai near siam square docks. The thai actually got the document wallet out of the bag and then tealised it was attached to me by thin super strong rope, he dropped it and ran.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can you not take your backpack with you as a carryon?

Hello ShellsG,
This might be of assistance to you. I have one. I use it put my valuables in when using the shower etc on my Camino. It also gets used for trips to the supermercado.

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/...Ultra-Sil+Travel+Day+Pack&o1=0&o2=0&o3=427-41
Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I feel the same way and this was emphasized last week when I met two pilgrims from Canada whose backpacks were list by their airline. The packs didn't catch up with them into five days into the Camino.
Another tactic by pickpockets is using razors to cut straps. It happened to a friend I was volunteering with in India…..you cannot be too diligent.

Hello ShellsG,
This might be of assistance to you. I have one. I use it put my valuables in when using the shower etc on my Camino. It also gets used for trips to the supermercado.

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Travelling+Light+™+Ultra-Sil+Travel+Day+Pack&o1=0&o2=0&o3=427-41
Buen Camino.

This is the same one highly recomend it. I bought the fold down waterproof bag as well. Prefer the one with the zips but it can he attacked by pick pocketers easier.

I carry a dry stuff sack. Whilst on the camino, stuff I want to keep dry (such as my other set of clothes) will get stuffed into the sack.

A lot of packs have a removable lid that doubles as a butt pack.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had an Eagle Creek day pack that folds up into its own pocket. Ideal on the plane and also useful on the couple of days I had my pack sent on by Jacotrans. I could carry my day's supplies in it. I would always check my pack through. It is just a hassle as carryon luggage and you still have to check your walking poles, etc. Yes there is a very small chance it might get lost but you just deal with that if the situation arises.

Another tactic by pickpockets is using razors to cut straps. It happened to a friend I was volunteering with in India…..you cannot be too diligent.
That's why I have a PAKSafe - 30/35 litre day pack and a 5 lt shoulder bag - they are advertised as being totally cut resistant and can be locked.

In my corner of the world I can walk into any thrift store and find lots of small-but-sufficient day bags, tote bags, travel bags, all for sale for next to nothing.

I bought one, will use it solely for essentials on the long trip from the US to Spain. I will then just give it away after I reunite with my backpack. Someone will be delighted to get it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In my corner of the world I can walk into any thrift store and find lots of small-but-sufficient day bags, tote bags, travel bags, all for sale for next to nothing.

I bought one, will use it solely for essentials on the long trip from the US to Spain. I will then just give it away after I reunite with my backpack. Someone will be delighted to get it.

I had that exact idea at about 3 am while I was sitting at work ! We have tons of thrift shops and I am sure I can find something at one of them.

I have a super light onya tiny backpack that folds into its own little bag. I put this in the top of my big pack while walking the Camino. I keep my mobile phone and a few other more important things in it. If I need to go anywhere away from my pack I lift the tiny backpack out and take it with me for just as if it were a handbag. I don't keep my valuables in it like money or passport but it is useful to have it to keep things in such as glasses or an item of clothing or things I have bought. This is not related to flying as we came by train to the Camino but I could use it to take on the plane if I had to check my big pack in.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I checked out a number of the items mentioned by various forum members. I looked at the Sea to Summit Ultra Sil day pack and decided it wasn't for me after all. The LL Bean duffle was too big for me, the plastic grocery bag, while handy for litter picking was not going to work. My problem has been solved with a Nike Pack Sack. Within my budget, perfect for my need and something I will use once I am back home.

Hello ShellsG
I see you have solved your problem. I was going to suggest to buy a bag that you will use in Paris, in Decathlon Sports store in Santiago.
Buen camino and enjoy it all
Maura

I caution my clients to CARRY ON their backpacks.

Can you not take your backpack with you as a carryon?

I'm looking for a 25 to 30 L backpack right now for my EPW trek but the airline limits carry on to 23x40x51 cm (9x16x20 in). Haven't found a backpack that fits those criteria yet. Do other airlines allow bigger bags?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm looking for a 25 to 30 L backpack right now for my EPW trek but the airline limits carry on to 23x40x51 cm (9x16x20 in). Haven't found a backpack that fits those criteria yet. Do other airlines allow bigger bags?

I don't know.
My 30L pack still fits.
If your pack is too large, one option is to carry on anything you can't easily replace in a carry-on bag and check the rest, fingers crossed.

I didn't check my backpack at any of my flights but I did have it on the overhead compartment at all times during the flights. So, I brought a foldable shopping bag with me. At the airport, I'd buy snacks and water at the gates and put it inside this bag . Then on board, I'd add items such as cell phone, passport/cash and toiletries, tie a knot to the bag and stuff under the seat in front of me. By the time I arrived at my destination, all the food and water was gone so I'd fold the bag again and place it back into the backpack with the small items.

Have you looked into Dueter backpacks? The one linked is a 35L + 10L and it was perfect size for overhead compartments. I had no problems in any of my flights on Norwegian, Lufthansa and Ryanair.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Shells,
If your trekking poles are collapsible they can be in your carry on luggage. I was thinking about shipping ahead as well but after speaking with the airline and airport, they reassured me it's no problem. Of course knives and such wouldn't make it but I'm not sure what else you are thinking about checking :)

I don't check anything; too many incidents of lost luggage. I purchased my poles in St. Jean, as British Airways did not allow poles, even in the backpack. After buying a nylon laundry bag for my backpack to carry on, it occurred to me it was much easier just to use the built-in rain cover. It was perfect. All straps and loose ends were securely 'under wrap' and easy to get in the overhead bin.

I checked my backpack which is what my plan had always been to do and I found a little nylon sack that I used for carrying on the plane and around the town. It worked perfectly and I didn't have to worry about lugging my pack around between flights or anything.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.