• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first Camino - approaching 70

Dcn Paul

Time of past OR future Camino
Francais (2017)
Well I finally got to number 3 on my bucket list to walk the Camino Frances before I hit 70! Going alone (wife thinks I'm crazy) and I pray I can complete it. Been training with full pack and I am currently walking 15 km - 3 times a week in the hill country of Texas. Will be leaving Texas March 7 and arriving in Madrid March 8.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well I finally got to number 3 on my bucket list to walk the Camino Frances before I hit 70! Going alone (wife thinks I'm crazy) and I pray I can complete it. Been training with full pack and I am currently walking 15 km - 3 times a week in the hill country of Texas. Will be leaving Texas March 7 and arriving in Madrid March 8.
Congrats fellow Texan on the courage to take on the Camino alone. If you are walking that kind of mileage in the Texas Hill country you will be find. Just make sure to take your time. I will return the first week of May 2017 to complete the Camino. Buen Camino to you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Enjoy! I am 64 and did it last summer. In fact, I spent my birthday in SJPP the night before I started. I had literally no problems except for some blisters. (And honestly that surprised me since I am a runner and thought my feet were tough. The hot days and hard surfaces took a toll I guess.) I had planned to take my time, and intentionally not hurry. But I just fell into what seemed a natural pace and ended up reading Santiago on my 26th day. But, I never felt like I was rushing or pushing. I met several others who were older than I. And, I walked a few days with another guy from the US who was 89. Have an amazing and growing time. I trust this will be amazing for you. Buen Camino.

You probably know, many places will not open until the beginning of April, but you will find a good number of fellow pilgrims, and you will get to know them well, since you will be pretty much staying together in the places that ARE open! May good weather be with you. Buen camino.

Buen Camino!
I did the entire 800+ last autumn aged 69. With the training you've been doing you'll find it easy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you everyone for being so welcoming! This is quite an awesome blog! Wrote my post just prior to going out for training and when I got home I had bunches of replies. About the only thing I'm not sure about is how to get to St. Jean from Madrid and where to exchange Dollars for Euros.

Thank you everyone for being so welcoming! This is quite an awesome blog! Wrote my post just prior to going out for training and when I got home I had bunches of replies. About the only thing I'm not sure about is ...where to exchange Dollars for Euros.

Hi Buen Camino! You should take your ATM card, and a credit card and just use the ATM machines. They are in most towns. You get to choose the language on the ATM. When the ATM offers you a conversion rate, refuse and let your bank decide. It's usually a better rate. -- Oh and make sure you have a credit card that does not charge a fee (per transaction) while abroad. And get a card with a chip. :)

Hi Buen Camino! You should take your ATM card, and a credit card and just use the ATM machines. They are in most towns. You get to choose the language on the ATM. When the ATM offers you a conversion rate, refuse and let your bank decide. It's usually a better rate. -- Oh and make sure you have a credit card that does not charge a fee (per transaction) while abroad. And get a card with a chip. :)
I would have never thought of just using my ATM card. Thanks for that great information! Anybody know to get from Madrid to sjpdp?

Welcome to the Forum and our unique branch of craziness!

My husband and I walked the Camino Francés with our 69 year old female companion who had never done any long distance walking and (it turned out) hadn't done that much training beforehand. She completed the journey successfully but did have to use a courier service for her backpack.

Just start off slow and steady and be gentle with yourself and savour every step as you'll be in Santiago before you know it.

Buen Camino!

PS what were numbers 1 & 2 on your bucket list?

I would have never thought of just using my ATM card. Thanks for that great information! Anybody know to get from Madrid to sjpdp?
Also don't forget to let your bank and credit card providers know of your travel plans abroad so that they don't freeze accounts

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh My Gosh - I would have forgotten to tell my bank about my travel - great reminder!
Also working from the bottom up, my bucket list has 3 more items to complete: #3 Walk The Camino Frances, #2 assure that my 6 grandchildren are educated, #1 climb one last mountain before I die.
The Camino is only a few months away - I am so excited!

Thank you everyone for being so welcoming! This is quite an awesome blog! Wrote my post just prior to going out for training and when I got home I had bunches of replies. About the only thing I'm not sure about is how to get to St. Jean from Madrid and where to exchange Dollars for Euros.

I walked the Camino Frances alone this past spring at age 67. Not a problem!

Here's how I got from Madrid to SJPP: I took a bus from terminal 4 from MAD to Pamplona (ALSA bus -- with one very easy change). I had made advance arrangements with Corazon Pura, an albergue midway between Pamplona and SJPP. You are picked up at the Pamplona bus or train station and take you to their albergue, they provide a nice dinner, and then drive you to SJPP the next morning. A wonderful couple runs this. it's a small albergue, so you will most likely meet some people beginning the Camino with you. I think the charge for all this was 45 Euros.

But do contact them in advance of your travel.

May your experience be as wonderful as mine was!
Buen Camino,
Priscilla

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was a first timer this spring at 68. It was amazing, age no problem. I went alone too, no problem with that on the Francès! My strategy: don't push too far at first. LISTEN to your feet! Good luck!
PS: I'm heading back in the spring...maybe the Norte!

It is so cool to hear from someone around my own age that experienced a positive Camino! Thanks for the encouragement! PS - Is it OK to say Bien Camino yet or only after I start?

It is so cool to hear from someone around my own age that experienced a positive Camino! Thanks for the encouragement! PS - Is it OK to say Bien Camino yet or only after I start?
not bien, ...buen camino. You can start saying that anytime as it applies outside of the Camino as well. Really happy for you as your are going to love it!

Oops, Este Camino es bueno, o Buen Camino? I'm not getting it yet. What is the meaning? Is it "good walk" or "good road"?? Or a deeper meaning?

But don't use your credit card at the ATM! You will be charged for a cash advance, which can be very expensive.
I had made advance arrangements with Corazon Pura, an albergue midway between Pamplona and SJPP. You are picked up at the Pamplona bus or train station and take you to their albergue, they provide a nice dinner, and then drive you to SJPP the next morning. A wonderful couple runs this. it's a small albergue, so you will most likely meet some people beginning the Camino with you. I think the charge for all this was 45 Euros.
I second the recommendation for Corazon Puro. A wonderful place to stay with wonderful people.
Oops, Este Camino es bueno, o Buen Camino? I'm not getting it yet. What is the meaning? Is it "good walk" or "good road"?? Or a deeper meaning?
It means Good Walk, or something deeper if you prefer. Bien means well, as in estoy bien, or I am well.

when you say "buen camino" to someone it's like saying "happy trails" more or less. "Este Camino es bueno" translates to "this road is good"

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
But don't use your credit card at the ATM! You will be charged for a cash advance, which can be very expensive.

I second the recommendation for Corazon Puro. A wonderful place to stay with wonderful people.

It means Good Walk, or something deeper if you prefer. Bien means well, as in estoy bien, or I am well.
I'm getting conflicting opinions on using my card at ATMs. What kind of charges are the and what options along the Camino do I have?

when you say "buen camino" to someone it's like saying "happy trails" more or less. "Este Camino es bueno" translates to "this road is good"
I get it now! The happy trails makes good sense to a Texan

What kind of charges are the and what options along the Camino do I have?
The ATM charge is typically $4.50 Euro. There is a small exchange rate from the banking system, often quite hidden (the bank purchases electronically at the buy rate and sells to you at the sell rate, often with little explanation. There is not avoiding it except by selecting a bank that gives you the most favorable rate. The banks that say there is no exchange rate charge are usually lying.) Two of my banks refund the ATM and any other host bank fee, so that there is no "per transaction" cost to me. My third bank, a notoriously mercenary bank, refunds nothing!

Expect to pay that $4.50 Euro and get an exchange rate far more favorable than you will get at the airport or any currency exchange business. Travelers cheques are nearly impossible to cash, so avoid them. Many businesses will not accept American Express charge cards because of their high merchant fees. Visa and MasterCard are widely accepted in larger stores and hotels. Albergues and restaurants are almost all on a cash basis.

Buen camino. :)

A regular alternative from the locals is buen viaje. That is very equivalent to the French bon voyage. The literal translation of buen camino is "good way" or "good path." If you think of it as bon voyage for walking the pilgrim route, so will have an accurate mental image without having to deal with a literal translation! ;)

A regular alternative from the locals is buen viaje. That is very equivalent to the French bon voyage. The literal translation of buen camino is "good way" or "good path." If you think of it as bon voyage for walking the pilgrim route, so will have an accurate mental image without having to deal with a literal translation! ;)
I really like the buen viaje as something I might say to someone walking with me and then departing, "Buen viaje!" I'm slow on the Spanish but that is part of my training also. So much to learn and so little time!!

I'm getting conflicting opinions on using my card at ATMs. What kind of charges are the and what options along the Camino do I have?

I used my ATM card (which also says Visa on it-- but it's a debit card). I got a few hundred euros out at a time, and paid in cash at stores, albergues, etc. There is a fee to use the ATM from both the owner of the ATM and my credit union. My credit union gave me the better exchange rate than the ATM owner, so I opted not to take the exchange rate offered by the ATM. I took an amount out that I felt comfortable carrying, but would not ruin me if I got robbed or lost my wallet somehow.

I also carried a credit card to cover emergencies-- medical or need for a hotel, rental car, etc.

I keep some money in my wallet (which is in my zipped inner vest pocket), some in my pack in a hidden pocket with a second credit card, some in a hidden pocket in the back of my vest, my son carried some of our money, and a second ATM card too. (In the past I have forgotten things when I was tired, and I've been pickpocketed.-- Oh, and I was mugged in the Barcelona subway.)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used my ATM card (which also says Visa on it-- but it's a debit card). I got a few hundred euros out at a time, and paid in cash at stores, albergues, etc. There is a fee to use the ATM from both the owner of the ATM and my credit union. My credit union gave me the better exchange rate than the ATM owner, so I opted not to take the exchange rate offered by the ATM. I took an amount out that I felt comfortable carrying, but would not ruin me if I got robbed or lost my wallet somehow.

I also carried a credit card to cover emergencies-- medical or need for a hotel, rental car, etc.

I keep some money in my wallet (which is in my zipped inner vest pocket), some in my pack in a hidden pocket with a second credit card, some in a hidden pocket in the back of my vest, my son carried some of our money, and a second ATM card too. (In the past I have forgotten things when I was tired, and I've been pickpocketed.-- Oh, and I was mugged in the Barcelona subway.)
I'm very forgetful and when I'm tired - most likely more so. I can't believe you still do the Camino after being pick-pocketed AND mugged. That shows me how much you will put up with, in order to experience the good of the Camino.

If you want money when you are travelling, you need to use a card at ATMs, unless you are carrying a huge (unwise) amount of cash. Ask your bank what they charge per transaction, as it the systems do differ from country to country and bank to bank.

For international withdrawals, my bank charges me $5 per withdrawal if it is at an affiliated bank machine (with the appropriate bank symbols on the card). I take out about 300 Euros - enough for a week. At the end of 6 weeks I have paid $30 for this convenience, which seems very reasonable to me. Neither do I fuss about the minor differences in exchange rate since I am not talking about huge amounts, and again, the convenience is worth something.

I like to carry a debit card for cash withdrawals, but also have a credit card for backup and major hotel and transportation purchases. You will likely find that some bank machines work for your card, and others might not, even though the right symbols are there. You will soon find out which bank machines to use for your card.

I'm very forgetful and when I'm tired - most likely more so. I can't believe you still do the Camino after being pick-pocketed AND mugged. That shows me how much you will put up with, in order to experience the good of the Camino.
Good morning-- To clarify-- I wasn't pickpocketed or mugged on the camino! I was pickpocketed in Prague (train station 1995) and in Rome (flea market 1999). I was mugged in Barcelona (1985) in the subway-- just on vacation that time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you want money when you are travelling, you need to use a card at ATMs, unless you are carrying a huge (unwise) amount of cash. Ask your bank what they charge per transaction, as it the systems do differ from country to country and bank to bank.

For international withdrawals, my bank charges me $5 per withdrawal if it is at an affiliated bank machine (with the appropriate bank symbols on the card). I take out about 300 Euros - enough for a week. At the end of 6 weeks I have paid $30 for this convenience, which seems very reasonable to me. Neither do I fuss about the minor differences in exchange rate since I am not talking about huge amounts, and again, the convenience is worth something.

I like to carry a debit card for cash withdrawals, but also have a credit card for backup and major hotel and transportation purchases. You will likely find that some bank machines work for your card, and others might not, even though the right symbols are there. You will soon find out which bank machines to use for your card.
OK - I have three pilgrims telling me to bring a "visa" bank card so I am going to go on that advice. I don't think I can loose using my visa. I will also bring another card for big purchases if necessary. Thanks and Buen Camino

I associate "Buen viaje!" more with cars, trains and planes. "Buen camino" is very Camino de Santiago specific -I have not heard it in other trails; I love it.
Remember that the Napoleon (the higher)route between SJPP-Roncesvalless is closed in March. You go by the alternative, Valcarlos way (which is also beautiful...)
Buen camino!

OK - I have three pilgrims telling me to bring a "visa" bank card so I am going to go on that advice. I don't think I can loose using my visa. I will also bring another card for big purchases if necessary. Thanks and Buen Camino
get a visa debit and have your account in the black, thats the best. Travel as light as you can. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One little piece to add about using a credit card. I was in Madrid for a week recently and found that more and more places will ask you -- do you want the charges put on your card in dollars or in euros? Always take the euros option, even though that seems counter-intuitive. With the dollars option, there is another transaction charge added to the bill that won't be there if you go with euros.

And I agree with the advice to ask your bank -- I did that and learned after 15 years of walking caminos that my bank waives the ATM charges when I'm overseas, or at least a large number of them. Never too late to learn! Buen camino, Laurie

and p.s., though I know some disagree with this -- I think it's best to put as much as you can on the credit card rather than use cash withdrawn from an ATM. You will be surprised at how many places take CC these days, and the exchange rate is better on the card.

One little piece to add about using a credit card. I was in Madrid for a week recently and found that more and more places will ask you -- do you want the charges put on your card in dollars or in euros? Always take the euros option, even though that seems counter-intuitive. With the dollars option, there is another transaction charge added to the bill that won't be there if you go with euros.

And I agree with the advice to ask your bank -- I did that and learned after 15 years of walking caminos that my bank waives the ATM charges when I'm overseas, or at least a large number of them. Never too late to learn! Buen camino, Laurie

and p.s., though I know some disagree with this -- I think it's best to put as much as you can on the credit card rather than use cash withdrawn from an ATM. You will be surprised at how many places take CC these days, and the exchange rate is better on the card.
All very good advice for a first timer. FYI- I've been training for over 6 weeks (attached a picture of the Texas Hill country where I walk) and finally I walked 2 days in a row with full pack for 27 km and I felt great after a couple of glasses of wine!! I think I'm ready. Come on March

Attachments

• IMG_20161224_092927.jpg
    IMG_20161224_092927.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26

You will be fine. Sjpdep to ronsevellas high route closed so valcarous route. Not far for 70 and starting Seville on via de la plate in 10 weeks. Expect to be in Santiago in 38 days Buen camino

I walked my 1st Camino, ( Frances ) in 2010 aged 67, got the bug and have since walked the full length of the Pyrenees ( G.R.11 ) 2011 , the Via Augusta linking up with the Via de la Plata,linking with the Via de Sanabria to Santiago 2013, the Camino de Norte and the Camino Primitivo 2015. I am presently researching to walk the Camino de Levante this coming Spring.I am in my 74th year and have no plans to stop walking. You will be fine and when you finish your wife will still think your crazy but will admire you all the more for it. Best of luck and have a great 70 th birthday

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Here's how I got from Madrid to SJPP: I took a bus from terminal 4 from MAD to Pamplona (ALSA bus -- with one very easy change). I had made advance arrangements with Corazon Pura, an albergue midway between Pamplona and SJPP. You are picked up at the Pamplona bus or train station and take you to their albergue, they provide a nice dinner, and then drive you to SJPP the next morning. A wonderful couple runs this. it's a small albergue, so you will most likely meet some people beginning the Camino with you. I think the charge for all this was 45 Euros.
Hey, Priscilla, I shared a room with you there at Corazon Pura! Hope your walk was wonderful.

Paul, I'm 64 and walked the CF alone with no problems. There were many folks older than me out there, plus many older active Spanish folks busy in their fields and gardens. It's inspiring. Have a great time!

get a visa debit and have your account in the black, thats the best. Travel as light as you can. Buen Camino
One other piece of advice on the credit card front: take at least 2 cards. I had one credit and 2 debit. I walked with someone for a few days whose debit card was damaged and stopped working. She was out of cash, and if I hadn't loaned her 500 euros to finish her trip, not sure what she would have done. (She did pay me back, by the way....)

Hey, Priscilla, I shared a room with you there at Corazon Pura! Hope your walk was wonderful.

I remember you!! I've thought about you several times. My walk was amazing. Even better than I expected. I followed in your footsteps, I stayed again at Corazon Pura as I passed it again. Wonderful people.

Be well!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

What were numbers 1 and 2 on the list?

One other piece of advice on the credit card front: take at least 2 cards. I had one credit and 2 debit. I walked with someone for a few days whose debit card was damaged and stopped working. She was out of cash, and if I hadn't loaned her 500 euros to finish her trip, not sure what she would have done. (She did pay me back, by the way....)

Good advice. Also a good idea to keep a small reserve - perhaps 100 euro - for emergency use. I had problems travelling in India with my daughter when all 3 of my cards from 3 separate banks were suspended by the banks for suspected fraudulent use even though I'd told them in advance I was travelling there. Took some time in phone calls to have them reactivated. Should not be as big a problem in Spain though.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with those who counsel you to check with your card issuer, but you might want to go beyond that. I never had a debit/ATM card until I got ready for my Camino (old school, I guess). I did some research and found a bank that does not charge any fees AND will refund any fees charged by the ATM owner where I am making the withdrawal. Definitely worth checking that out or you could be surprised by fees. Your card issuer might not charge a fee, but the bank owning the ATM may do so. Enjoy the planning and Buen Camino!

Buen camino @Dcn Paul it sounds like you are well prepared :) You are not crazy! Just take it steady, especially the first week or so and you'll be fine.

While you are on the camino in March - i'll be visiting Texas hill country from Scotland - I love it there! Hope all goes well for you!

Good advice above about debit cards and simply withdrawing cash from the ATMs. That is what I do every time now. However I make sure that the very first time I use it that the bank is open, just in case it gets eaten by the machine. Also for your information there is a great DVD available made by Gian Ceccato, an Italian Canadian, called Es Usted un Peregrino? (Are You a Pilgrim). He was 71 when he first walked the Camino. It will give you a very good idea of what to expect. Just remember keep your pack as light as possible (no more than 8kgs), use 2 walking poles (its like have 4 feet), and buen camino. You will have the most amazing journey that will change your life.

probably still cold and wet. Can't make it a bit later???:) Do read Tony Kevin's Walking the Camino to get really good walking advice. Training is great, but funnily enough it doesn't always prevent blisters etc. Switch boots for something like Merrill walkers if that happens . People don't break in boots, boots break in people.Ha ha.
My partner and I are both in your ball park age group and have managed many a camino. So take heart, one step at a time, one day at a time and if you don;t already speak some Spanish, get a phone app or a CD and get some basic Spanish on board. It will really help. Buen Camino

Buen Camino,
Priscilla

Hello Priscilla: I just booked my flight from Bratislava Slovakia to Madrid March 17, 2017. The evening flight arrives at 00:05H (i.e. just after midnight so on March 18th). There is a night ALSA bus that departs Madrid airport T4 (I will arrive T1 but its a 10 minute transfer from T1-T4) at 1:15am arriving PAMPLONA 06:30AM. Then I will see if i meet someone to share a taxi to SJPP that morning or wait for the CONDE bus at 14:30. QUESTION: did you take the night bus and if yes did you reserve your bus ticket with ALSA or just go to the T4 bus stop? I prefer to reserve if it guarantees a seat but then at that time Im not sure the bus will be full. Any suggestions? Much appreciate and its my First Camino (soon to be 59). PS: Corazon Puro has closed for family reasons they returned to Hungary. I had hoped to use them.

Buen Camino,
Priscilla
Sadly, due to family health issues, Corazon Puro will be closed for maybe 12 month...sorry that such a wonderful piece of camino infrastructure is temporarily unavailable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh! That is really bad news! Hope they will be healthy and and up and running very soon! SY

I will also be in Madrid on March 8 and taking the train to Leon to begin my Camino there on the 10th. So excited and looking forward to meeting people along "The Way". Good luck to you. Shane ...... Nova Scotia, Canada.

You will be fine. Sjpdep to ronsevellas high route closed so valcarous route. Not far for 70 and starting Seville on via de la plate in 10 weeks. Expect to be in Santiago in 38 days Buen camino

Did you make your transfer reservations/plans from Madrid to SJPP yet? I did as i too fly into Madrid midnight March 17 and start walking from SJPP March 19 or 20 weather dependent. I too will be a firstie, walking alone, taking Route Valcarlos (there seems to be mixed opinion on this blog about whether the Napoleon route is open or closed for the season until April - I'm believing veterans who say it's closed plus the Orrison Albuerge 1/3 of the way up that route is closed till April). I will stay the first night in Valcarlos and then have a bit gentler day to arrivebin Roncesvslles. I here the municipal albeurgein Valcarlos and the people really nice. I have from March 18 to April 30th to reach Finisterre so will take it slow the first week. BUEN CAMINO!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did you make your transfer reservations/plans from Madrid to SJPP yet? I did as i too fly into Madrid midnight March 17 and start walking from SJPP March 19 or 20 weather dependent. I too will be a firstie, walking alone, taking Route Valcarlos (there seems to be mixed opinion on this blog about whether the Napoleon route is open or closed for the season until April - I'm believing veterans who say it's closed plus the Orrison Albuerge 1/3 of the way up that route is closed till April). I will stay the first night in Valcarlos and then have a bit gentler day to arrivebin Roncesvslles. I here the municipal albeurgein Valcarlos and the people really nice. I have from March 18 to April 30th to reach Finisterre so will take it slow the first week. BUEN CAMINO!
On my first trip to Madrid I had the same concern. Not knowing the layout of the city along with not speaking the language seemed a lot more challenging to me than "following the arrows" (and it was). There is both a bus and train that goes to Pamplona and from there you can take a bus to St. Jean. Unfortunately there is more than one bus and train station and so you can not just get in a cab and ask them to take you to the" train station" ask for the Atocha Train station. As for getting cash I suggest relying on ATM's. Check with your bank - currently I am not paying any service charge for converting my dollars for euro"s. I have been living in Madrid since June and will be here for the foreseeable future and so let me know if there is anything I can help you with. Madrid is a beautiful city and very walk-able :)

Last edited:
Enjoy the way!!!! Buen camino!!!! Take the first step and everything will be fine!!!!!the way provides!!!

I began my first Camino at 70 years old in March of 2015 the Francis route and turned 71 that May, then my second one the Camino Primitivo in September 2015 at 71 and completed the my third the Camino Del Norte in April of 2016. I will be going for my fourth Camino the Portuguese route beginning in Lisbon early in March of this year. I am in pretty good shape for my age and can say each Camino became a little easier each time even though the routes where more difficult for me each time. It sounds like to me you won't have any difficulty given your training. Oh, and my wife,daughters,and friends all thought I was "crazy" but I can tell you this; you will not regret this journey and you will want to go back !

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Great news, Paul! You will have a blast. What else is/was on your bucket list?

You are a spring chicken. My neighbour walked section of French way when he was 90. Still going strong at 100 and doing a university course in computing. Keep walking. Ps. His son nearly 80 walking Camino at this moment

Good advice. Also a good idea to keep a small reserve - perhaps 100 euro - for emergency use. I had problems traveling in India with my daughter when all 3 of my cards from 3 separate banks were suspended by the banks for suspected fraudulent use even though I'd told them in advance I was traveling there. Took some time in phone calls to have them reactivated. Should not be as big a problem in Spain though.

Good advice about letting your bank (for the ATM you will use) and the Visa card companies (I always take two) know of your Camino travel plans - call and tell them which countries you'll be in and your journey start/ end dates). Otherwise they'll probably put your cards on hold when you first use them overseas because of suspected fraudulent use. Beware - it happened to me in SJPP!

Also try to get a chip and pin Visa card, which is the system in use in Europe. In the US, most Visa cards are chip & signature cards, which won't work at unattended terminals (like at train stations). The Barclaycard Visa Arrival Plus card is one that seems to work.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good advice about letting your bank (for the ATM you will use) and the Visa card companies (I always take two) know of your Camino travel plans - call and tell them which countries you'll be in and your journey start/ end dates). Otherwise they'll probably put your cards on hold when you first use them overseas because of suspected fraudulent use. Beware - it happened to me in SJPP!

Also try to get a chip and pin Visa card, which is the system in use in Europe. In the US, most Visa cards are chip & signature cards, which won't work at unattended terminals (like at train stations). The Barclaycard Visa Arrival Plus card is one that seems to work.
I have the RENFE app on my phone. Whenever I wanted to but a train ticket I used the app and PayPal to purchase it.

DCN, wishing you a joyous journey!
Buen Camino
Good Way
God's Way (walking with Spirit; that which feels sacred).
There are many levels and layers to the mystery that is El Camino de Santiago de Compostela.
Millions upon millions have walked this ancient trail...

and invest in some really good socks- ones that wick away moisture!

Thank you #Binya. I've got the shocks, the rain gear, and the cold weather gear. I'm looking forward to beginning my Camino in just three weeks and counting.
Buen Camino, God's Way for me.

Hi Don. I walked the camino france for the first time at age 71. Saint Jean Pied De Port to Santiago starting late September and finishing October 2016 , 28 days in all without layovers. I had previously booked first nights stopover at refuge Orison which is only a short hop from St Jean but it proved to be a good move, making it to Roncesvalles in one hit would have been a bit of a stretch on day 1. I carried backpack each day and stayed in municipal albergues. You are getting in some real preparation and you will be fine. Buen Camino...............Sicada123

Hi Don. I walked the camino france for the first time at age 71. Saint Jean Pied De Port to Santiago starting late September and finishing October 2016 , 28 days in all without layovers. I had previously booked first nights stopover at refuge Orison which is only a short hop from St Jean but it proved to be a good move, making it to Roncesvalles in one hit would have been a bit of a stretch on day 1. I carried backpack each day and stayed in municipal albergues. You are getting in some real preparation and you will be fine. Buen Camino...............Sicada123
28 days! That's fantastic. I didn't think an old man/woman could make the whole journey in 28 days, now you have me thinking I can do it. I'm in decent shape with all the training, but that still seems like a lot of km in each day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
28 days! That's fantastic. I didn't think an old man/woman could make the whole journey in 28 days, now you have me thinking I can do it. I'm in decent shape with all the training, but that still seems like a lot of km in each day.

Trust me Don, with your preparation you will do it in whatever reasonable timeframe you set for yourself. I got lucky with my preparation in that I seemed to have covered all the bases. I had originally scheduled in some stopovers but in doing the walk, I just kept going and the whole experience was truly uplifting. There were demands in terms of weather in Galicia, at the time of year I was walking it was cold in the early morning (6:00 am) and there was quite a lot of rain. Be careful not to get caught out with blisters, I thought I had gone past the blister stage, no sign after 6 days then I got a few but the "needle and thread" method works wonders. Before you set out, make sure you have all you need in this regard. I am planning to walk the northern route in 2018 which I think is a bit more demanding but probably more scenic? Like all first timers I probably packed too much but on the whole it all worked out. Boots and good socks are critical but I am sure you know that. I made my own "stick" (I made it so it broke down for the plane) I found the experience exceeded my expectations and I loved the sheer simplicty. Good luck........................... Peter (sicada123)

Wishing you a wonderful journey!! I'm turning 70 this fall and will be hiking my first Camino in May! Here's to Septuagenarians!!Buen Camino, Grace

Wishing you a wonderful journey!! I'm turning 70 this fall and will be hiking my first Camino in May! Here's to Septuagenarians!!Buen Camino, Grace
Thank you so much! Just have about 2 weeks before I leave, I'm really excited!
Buena Camino !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

With that kind of training you will be ready. I am so excited for you...you will have a great time.

Buen Camino,
Priscilla
Priscilla I need some of your guts! McGhee will be 67 in June 2017

You'll be on your way very soon, Paul! Wishing you a safe and easeful journey, and a very Buen Camino.

Blessings...and, Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back