• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My First Camino!

merni1660

Time of past OR future Camino
April,May(2016)
Hi! I am planning on walking the Camino Frances beginning in St Jean and finishing in Santiago. I have a 6 week time frame, arriving in Madrid on April 26 and leaving Madrid on June 6.
I first heard about the Camino from my brother who did his a few years back. I am so excited things are coming together for mine!
One question I have is .....how far in advance do I need to book my airline tickets? I've noticed some of you have already done so, but was under the impression it was best to book either 2 or 3 months in advance. I've been checking prices over the last month and haven't seen a great difference in the price. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts! Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not earlier then 3 months and not later then 1 months would be my suggestion. Buen Camino, SY

Not earlier then 3 months and not later then 1 months would be my suggestion. Buen Camino, SY
Thank you SY! Maybe I should of mentioned I live on the east coast of Canada whose dollar is low at the present and isn't forecast to improve anytime soon. I'm not sure what else besides the low Cdn dollar and low oil prices effect ticket prices.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Did you had a look at prices at the other side of the border? Would that be a possibility? SY

I'm not sure what else besides the low Cdn dollar and low oil prices effect ticket prices.

Demand, of course.

I would suggest to be open-minded from a flight point of view. You have more arrival options than Madrid and, on your way back, you have more departure options than Madrid too.

When to book? As son as you see a good price or offer or if you are less than 3 months before your departure, as soon as you see prices rising significantly on some dates (because surely prices for the rest of the dates will increase soon)

Did you had a look at prices at the other side of the border? Would that be a possibility? SY
I have looked into that but would have to pay with Canadian money so was actually was more expensive. Plus the cost of getting from where I live to the closest American city. But I have my eye on the ticket I will most likely buy and am prepared to do so. Skyscanner predicted cheaper rates in May and June,I believe, (maybe it was April and May) but I am unsure why that may be, other than the fact they look at trends.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Demand, of course.

I would suggest to be open-minded from a flight point of view. You have more arrival options than Madrid and, on your way back, you have more departure options than Madrid too.

When to book? As son as you see a good price or offer or if you are less than 3 months before your departure, as soon as you see prices rising significantly on some dates (because surely prices for the rest of the dates will increase soon)
Demand, of course.

Hello Castilian!
Thank you for your reply!

I have looked at other options,flying into Paris is one, which is a bit cheaper, but wanted to definitely fly home from Madrid which seems easier to get to from Santiago. From what I've read on the forum from pilgrims coming from US/Canada, either destination is comparable price wise.

I guess I'm on the right track as far as the best time to actually purchase my ticket! I can't wait! It will feel more real once I have it! Am getting excited!

@merni1660 , what is the price you have found and from where? 850 $ from Montreal is about as good as it gets, if that helps. If you fly into Madrid then you have to take a very inexpensive bus to Pamplona, spend anight and take a taxi to SJPP, for about an extra 140$c. Fly into Paris, from there to Bayonne and take a train to SJPP, I just priced it and it's 1092$ on Expedia.ca leaving from Halifax, coming back through Madrid. So 1k best case scenario from Montreal and taking 3 full days of travel v.s. an extra 100$ to get into SJPP a day earlier ... Not a bad deal in my experience. Good luck!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One question I have is .....how far in advance do I need to book my airline tickets?
My wife has already booked most of our flights for a similar period coming from Australia. As you get closer, the number of discounted and cheaper rate fares will dry up rapidly, and you will eventually be left with just the full fare options. If your dates are firm, I recommend that you book as soon as you can.

@merni1660 , what is the price you have found and from where? 850 $ from Montreal is about as good as it gets, if that helps. If you fly into Madrid then you have to take a very inexpensive bus to Pamplona, spend anight and take a taxi to SJPP, for about an extra 140$c. Fly into Paris, from there to Bayonne and take a train to SJPP, I just priced it and it's 1092$ on Expedia.ca leaving from Halifax, coming back through Madrid. So 1k best case scenario from Montreal and taking 3 full days of travel v.s. an extra 100$ to get into SJPP a day earlier ... Not a bad deal in my experience. Good luck!

I have found a ticket for 805, flying out of Halifax one stop in Philadelphia arriving in Madrid the next morning at 8:20, lots of time to catch a bus to Pamplona, spend the night, head out in the morning. I believe the Paris route also arrives the next morning and yes I could get to St Jean that day, but think I may stick with the Madrid flight.
Thank you so much for your input!
Merni

I have found a ticket for 805, flying out of Halifax one stop in Philadelphia arriving in Madrid the next morning at 8:20, lots of time to catch a bus to Pamplona, spend the night, head out in the morning. I believe the Paris route also arrives the next morning and yes I could get to St Jean that day, but think I may stick with the Madrid flight.
Merni
Merni, jump on it! It will not get better, especially in C$!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi! I am planning on walking the Camino Frances beginning in St Jean and finishing in Santiago. I have a 6 week time frame, arriving in Madrid on April 26 and leaving Madrid on June 6.
I first heard about the Camino from my brother who did his a few years back. I am so excited things are coming together for mine!
One question I have is .....how far in advance do I need to book my airline tickets? I've noticed some of you have already done so, but was under the impression it was best to book either 2 or 3 months in advance. I've been checking prices over the last month and haven't seen a great difference in the price. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts! Thanks!
I would say the sooner you book, the better. I'm leaving Ottawa on May 4th and got an excellent price through CAA back in November (direct flight to Paris, return from Madrid - $580). My partner is meeting me three weeks later and her (exact same) flight cost $200 more.
You must be very excited! Buen Camino!

Merni

Good ticket price! I have always paid about $1000 out of Toronto to either Madrid or Paris. I have flown into Madrid when I wasn't going to start walking in St. Jean, but I always return home from Madrid. On my first trip in 2011, when I walked from Leon to Santiago, I found a nice, simple, clean hotel on Calle Atocha, less than a 10min walk from the train station. Urban Sea Hotel 113 Atocha and I always stay there when I go in or out of Madrid. The staff are friendly and speak English. I felt safe on the street at any time, even when my train arrived once after 11pm. The city is bustling at all hours. The hotel is near the Prado, the Botanical Gardens and nor far from the Cathedral and the main plaza, so it is worth spending an extra day to get over jetlag and explore the beautiful city. Have a wonderful trip!

Good ticket price! I have always paid about $1000 out of Toronto to either Madrid or Paris. I have flown into Madrid when I wasn't going to start walking in St. Jean, but I always return home from Madrid. On my first trip in 2011, when I walked from Leon to Santiago, I found a nice, simple, clean hotel on Calle Atocha, less than a 10min walk from the train station. Urban Sea Hotel 113 Atocha and I always stay there when I go in or out of Madrid. The staff are friendly and speak English. I felt safe on the street at any time, even when my train arrived once after 11pm. The city is bustling at all hours. The hotel is near the Prado, the Botanical Gardens and nor far from the Cathedral and the main plaza, so it is worth spending an extra day to get over jetlag and explore the beautiful city. Have a wonderful trip!
Thank you so muchMarylynn!

I think I remember reading your post previously about where you stay in Madrid and was going to look it up for the name of the hotel. How long of a train ride from there to the airport? I added a couple of days on the end of my trip and will probably stay there on the way home.

I'm hoping to take the bus to Pamplona after an early arrival in Madrid and be met by the folks who pick you up, take you to there place for the night and then drive you to St. Jean the next day. I only emailed them last night so haven't got a response yet.

It's going to be an awesome and challenging Camino I'm sure!
Thanks again for responding to my message!
Merni

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would say the sooner you book, the better. I'm leaving Ottawa on May 4th and got an excellent price through CAA back in November (direct flight to Paris, return from Madrid - $580). My partner is meeting me three weeks later and her (exact same) flight cost $200 more.

You must be very excited! Buen Camino!

Wow! Great ticket price to Paris Hope! I wasn't even aware one could book tickets through CAA.

I actually booked a ticket to Madrid this afternoon for 806. There was a multiple city ticket available flying in to Paris and out from Madrid for 724, which was very good also but had decided to go with Madrid.

You will be a week ahead of me so we may or may not meet up. I wish you an awesome journey! Thanks again for your message!
Merni

My wife has already booked most of our flights for a similar period coming from Australia. As you get closer, the number of discounted and cheaper rate fares will dry up rapidly, and you will eventually be left with just the full fare options. If your dates are firm, I recommend that you book as soon as you can.

Thanks for your input

€46,-
Now you have your seat booked, do tell! How did you find this flight and which airline are you flying!

I booked my flight through Flighthub. My ticket was 806, flying in and out of Madrid. I've emailed corazonpuro.es to see about staying there the first night after taking the bus from Madrid and going to St. Jean the next morning. Will begin the Camino the following day.

A big thanks to all of you who responded to my thread! I've been on the forum many times reading all that I can. It was the first time I ever sent a post, so thank you!
Burn Camino!
Merni

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Merni
Good show !! Buen Camino :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you so muchMarylynn!

I think I remember reading your post previously about where you stay in Madrid and was going to look it up for the name of the hotel. How long of a train ride from there to the airport? I added a couple of days on the end of my trip and will probably stay there on the way home.

I'm hoping to take the bus to Pamplona after an early arrival in Madrid and be met by the folks who pick you up, take you to there place for the night and then drive you to St. Jean the next day. I only emailed them last night so haven't got a response yet.

It's going to be an awesome and challenging Camino I'm sure!
Thanks again for responding to my message!
Merni

Sorry for the delay in replying! The bus to and from the Madrid Airport to the Atocha Station is about 20-30 minutes, and maybe 5euros? I'm not fond of buses, so I took the train from the Madrid Atocha Station to Pamplona, then walked to the municipal albergue. Spain has a wonderful public transportation system. You will have a wonderful time!!

Sorry for the delay in replying! The bus to and from the Madrid Airport to the Atocha Station is about 20-30 minutes, and maybe 5euros? I'm not fond of buses, so I took the train from the Madrid Atocha Station to Pamplona, then walked to the municipal albergue. Spain has a wonderful public transportation system. You will have a wonderful time!!
how long of a train ride?

Hi Merni1660, congratulations on getting a great deal on flights. I travelled from Halifax to Madrid last fall, and took a train from Atoche train station to Pamplona. Getting from Madrid airport to Atoche train station was easy - the Renfe Cercanias trains leave from Terminal 4, and there are airport shuttles to get you to T4 if you arrive at a different terminal. The train was about 25 minutes.
http://www.aeropuertomadrid-barajas.com/transportation/madrid-airport-bytrain.htm

We also stayed at Corazon Puro - which is fabulous. Istvan picks you up, you really do enjoy a wonderful dinner & breakfast, and then you are driven to SJPP arriving by 9am the next morning. I would highly recommend booking ahead and staying at Refuge Orisson on your first walking day out of SJPP. The communal atmosphere & dinner allows you to share your excitement with so many others who you will get to know over the course of your Camino. Not to be missed.

Happy planning!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
how long of a train ride?

The train from Madrid Atocha to Pamplona/Iruña is 3 or 3 1/2 hours, depending on which train you take and it cost me (last June)
~65 euros. You can get your ticket by waiting in a long line at the ticket office in the Atocha station, or just walk up to a do-it-yourself kiosk, or purchase online before you leave home. Quick and easy. I took a printout of a Google map to navigate my way from the train station to the municipal albergue. It was a nice walk - 30-45 min? Once you get up the hill past the fortifications and into the square, there are signposts to the albergue (or at least to the Cathedral very near the albergue).

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back