• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My shower "caddy"

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Finding somewhere to put my shampoo and conditioner bars, razor and hairbrush for brushing out my wet hair in albergue showers has always been an issue.

I made a "caddy" to hang up the things that I need in the shower out of a piece of nylon cord and some plastic hooks. There are loops in the cord, and each item that I will use in the shower has a loop of cord with a hook on the end.

shower line.jpgshower line detail C.jpgsoap.jpg

Since there is sometimes no way to loop something over the shower head (I'm thinking of those #%^%*# push button showers with a shower head that barely protrudes from the wall) I made it so that I can unhook the loop at the top, and hang it on a bar if there is one.

shower line detail B.jpg

I can hang the whole thing up on the clothesline to dry out my shampoo bar. Then put the entire thing in a zip lock baggie, ready to go the next day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ooh, that's clever! I usually keep all toiletries in my shower bag, a Decathlon packable messenger with long strap that goes over stall and shower doors, or hang from a Heroclip somewhere. I put fresh clothes inside, plus my towel, and my elastic clothes line in the little pack-it-pocket; then in the zipped front pocket I keep brush, toothbrush etc, and my shampoo bar bag clips on the long strap. It works as long as there is something, anything, to hang it on away from the water, but that little organiser wouldn't weigh much and come in very handy even hanging from the bag! *goes into planning mode
Thanks for the tip!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have been thinking of a small - lingerie sized, mesh, string closure, laundry bag to simply toss all my toiletry supplies into. Same concept as yours, but using one bag.

It dries easily allows you to see everything, and assuming the opening is wide enough, to access everything.

You can also temporarily hang things from plastic 's' hooks that simply hang on the mesh openings. I was considering sourcing my idea at the local Dollar Store.

You have a great idea there. Hope it works for you.

I have been thinking of a small - lingerie sized, mesh, string closure, laundry bag to simply toss all my toiletry supplies into. Same concept as yours, but using one bag.

It dries easily allows you to see everything, and assuming the opening is wide enough, to access everything.

You can also temporarily hang things from plastic 's' hooks that simply hang on the mesh openings. I was considering sourcing my idea at the local Dollar Store.

The other cool thing about this would be that if you have any small items (this is more of a women's hint) such as bandana's, scarves, undies, etc., you could use the bag also to throw in a washer if you come across one, particularly if you are sharing a load with someone else.

I’m using something similar. I already packed it back into my pack for tomorrow so no pics, but I used one of those glasses strings with the do hickies on the end that slip onto sunglasses arms? I’ve got a lightweight double S hook with 4 tulle style bags. Bars each for shampoo, conditioner, body soap, and then a 4th one holds my razor and also half a wide toothed comb. This way I can remove any tulle bags I don’t need for that shower (like on a rest day I might not wash my hair). The ends of the sunglasses string are secured and it goes over the shower head. Double S hook at the bottom. I got the bags on Amazon, 6 for around $7 and I took off the tiny metal beads meant to keep it closed so that I can easily remove what I need and slip it back in. Bonus. If it’s not too soggy you can hang it on the end of a bunk to dry out before the next day, too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Finding somewhere to put my shampoo and conditioner bars, razor and hairbrush for brushing out my wet hair in albergue showers has always been an issue.

I made a "caddy" to hang up the things that I need in the shower out of a piece of nylon cord and some plastic hooks. There are loops in the cord, and each item that I will use in the shower has a loop of cord with a hook on the end.

View attachment 121611View attachment 121612View attachment 121613

Since there is sometimes no way to loop something over the shower head (I'm thinking of those #%^%*# push button showers with a shower head that barely protrudes from the wall) I made it so that I can unhook the loop at the top, and hang it on a bar if there is one.

View attachment 121614

I can hang the whole thing up on the clothesline to dry out my shampoo bar. Then put the entire thing in a zip lock baggie, ready to go the next day.
That really is very inventive. I’ve got a plastic hook with a rubber sucker on the back which allows me to affix my wash bag to the shower wall. It has in the past allowed me to leave absolutely everything in the shower and forget the whole lot, not just one or two items

Tom; what you and I wear cannot possibly be classed as ‘lingerie’. You might have to involve a female relative in the venture.

My daughter has recently had an extensive (and expensive) refit in her bathroom and there's nowhere close at hand to put my specs when I shower - it's a very complicated shower control - so I pop one of these in my Dopp kit.
It clings tenaciously to tile or glass and my specs fit in the ring. Very lightweight.
You get them in the little kit of tools needed to replace batteries in tablet and mobile phones

1648752232385.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dollar stores carry mesh bags if you have them. I like the mesh as it ensures continued air drying. Mine is an Asian one with a pocket for toiletries. Line looper mentioned above is a fabulous idea! I’d just skip the beads and knot it. Use a hook at the end. I also use a giant S-hook for shower but often it doesn’t work in some, however good at the bunk to dry face cloth, travel towel or soap bar in a small mesh bag. Thanks!

I'm a newbie, going on my first Camino in less than 2 weeks. I had never given any thought about where to "put" my shower stuff until now. I just assumed there would be a hook on the wall and a seat to sit my bag. I'm definitely going to combine a couple of your idea's above make myself a "caddy". Muchas gracias!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had my shampoo bar in a plastic soap case, but this idea is SO much better. Question: Do you leave it in the mesh bag to shower with? Having an epiphany, maybe I can omit my shower scrubby...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my shampoo bar in a plastic soap case, but this idea is SO much better. Question: Do you leave it in the mesh bag to shower with? Having an epiphany, maybe I can omit my shower scrubby...
I leave it in the mesh bag when I use it.
I wrap it in a small piece of microfiber cloth before I put it in a zip lock bag to store it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

View attachment 121614

Get a suction hook

That’s a brilliant idea. I don’t have a problem with brushing out my hair (sigh) but having a place to tuck stuff when showering can be complicated.

There are exceptions, but I have found that in most cases the amount of consideration afforded to shower stall design is inversely proportional to the amount of character to be found at an albergue.

Tom; what you and I wear cannot possibly be classed as ‘lingerie’. You might have to involve a female relative in the venture.
But of course. My wife has several lying around most of the time. But, I am specifically looking for one with a string closure.

This allows me to replace the extant string closure with para cord - say about 4 meters worth in all. If you make the para cord long enough, the lingerie bag, tote, can double as a laundry line. this follows the ethos that everything on the Camino should have multiple uses.

When not needed, the extra para line can be rolled around your hand, rubber band-secured and tossed in the attached mesh bag bag as well. You can toss your safety pins or clothes pins / clothes pegs in there too.

I haven't yet put this together as my wife cancelled my 2022 Camino. I will be at Santiago in May as a turista and in August as a volunteer. Poco a poco. I WILL return.

Tom

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm a newbie, going on my first Camino in less than 2 weeks. I had never given any thought about where to "put" my shower stuff until now. I just assumed there would be a hook on the wall and a seat to sit my bag. I'm definitely going to combine a couple of your idea's above make myself a "caddy". Muchas gracias!
There’s rarely a seat or bench so you’re left with flinging your towel and clothes over the door, or hopefully can fit them all onto the one lone hook that (might) be there. I usually take one of those thick, recyclable plastic grocery store bags in to both hold my towel & clean clothes and keep them dry.

There’s rarely a seat or bench so you’re left with flinging your towel and clothes over the door, or hopefully can fit them all onto the one lone hook that (might) be there. I usually take one of those thick, recyclable plastic grocery store bags in to both hold my towel & clean clothes and keep them dry.
Thanks for this info. I am rethinking my shower strategy. LOL! Today's exercise will be taking a shower without using any of the shelves, stools and hooks in my bathroom. I've already made my own version of @trecile's caddy. Prepping for all these situations is turning into a good source of enjoyment for me. :)

I've sent this suggestion in before, what I use for S hooks, shower curtain hangers. Open one up and bend as needed to hang and then hang another open one from that to get the S hook equivalent. You can use them as carabiners too. Run them through the top of a wet sock and then clip them to your pack.
images.jpg

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Okay, using materials at hand (except the suction hook), this is what I came up with:

77B4A195-8B07-4C9E-9D2A-19AFFCC7A9C3.jpeg

And this is what it looks like rolled and buttoned up and ready to travel (the top of the hanging loop fastens onto the suction cup).

F40E6FA0-02EF-4D48-B423-7A417780F2D3.jpeg

It hands from a shower head or hook, loops over a bar using the suction cup as a button, and it holds onto a wall with the suction cup. I’m happy. I’m sure it will make my camino showers more pleasant. (Or it will fall apart and get tossed. 🤪)

Many, many thanks to @trecile for her brilliant inspiration!

Okay, using materials at hand (except the suction hook), this is what I came up with:

View attachment 121766

And this is what it looks like rolled and buttoned up and ready to travel (the top of the hanging loop fastens onto the suction cup).

View attachment 121767

It hands from a shower head or hook, loops over a bar using the suction cup as a button, and it holds onto a wall with the suction cup. I’m happy. I’m sure it will make my camino showers more pleasant. (Or it will fall apart and get tossed. 🤪)

Many, many thanks to @trecile for her brilliant inspiration!
Very nice!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

View attachment 121614

Your practical intelligence inspires me

Thank you

What a great thread! @trecile, @Esperanza and @Eve Alexandra you have all inspired me.
Today is a rainy Sunday where I live, and I used it to make this.
I'm planning to bring a shampoo bar for hair and body, and half a bar of conditioner, so the left side of my caddy won't be as full as in the pic.
To give it a bit of structure I needed something solid and here I'm using a chopstick. I can easily remove it when not in use. Could also use a pencil, etc.
Thank you for all the tips!

Attachments

• 20220710_181647.jpg
    20220710_181647.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 92
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ooh, that's clever! I usually keep all toiletries in my shower bag, a Decathlon packable messenger with long strap that goes over stall and shower doors, or hang from a Heroclip somewhere. I put fresh clothes inside, plus my towel, and my elastic clothes line in the little pack-it-pocket; then in the zipped front pocket I keep brush, toothbrush etc, and my shampoo bar bag clips on the long strap. It works as long as there is something, anything, to hang it on away from the water, but that little organiser wouldn't weigh much and come in very handy even hanging from the bag! *goes into planning mode
Thanks for the tip!
The recent waist pack thread sent me down a rabbit hole, researching the Arcteryx Mantis and somehow @nidarosa I ended up on your blog and came across your fantastic "arrival day bag" idea. It's so simple and clever - aren't all the best ideas?! I love the idea of having a set of fresh clothes and shower goodies in one bag that I can just "grab and go" and head to the shower when I arrive. And it doubles as a laundry bag, shopping bag, carry on etc. It's genius! Lucky for me these bags were on sale at our local Decathlon. Take my money! 😂 Thanks for the great suggestion.

Pic below. for those interested.
Weight 100g.
Price: pink ones on sale in Decathlon Australia for $9.
Black ones full price, $17

1687217740567.png

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.