• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

new albergues of interest to pilgrims on Ruta do Mar (Ribadeo)

caminka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
see signature
I found this article on voz de galicia's site that a new hostel has opened in Viveiro this july, Oli Vita Hostel: https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...-segunda-casa-viajero/0003_201907X14C4991.htm. this is very good news for pilgrims, though I suspect reservations will be necessary.

albergue O Abeiro de Manon must be close to the 'official' ruta do mar which cuts inland from celeiro to viveiro. the building looks magnificent. their website: http://albergueoabeiro.com/.

there was/is another albergue on río Mera, Hostel Río Mera, less then km from the FEVE train station: https://albergue-rio-mera-es.book.direct/en-gb. but! the google says it's permanently closed and when I tried to book on their site, it informed me that they are not excepting reservations. that would be a perfect location for the day via san Andrés de Teixido to Cedeira. perhaps someone looking to open an (pilgrim) albergue should look into that? the infrastructure is all there already..

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The albergue in Viveiro looks good, not far from where we stayed up by the FEVE station.
I am not sure that the other two are best placed for the camino route although the O Abeiro de Manon might be (this is the section we could not manage to walk).
The Rio Mera albergue looks to be well off the route as you actually walk through O Ponte de Mera, but I may be wrong as it depends on the route taken from Ortegueira. It would make for a long day as it is 15kms (12kms uphill!) from O Ponte de Mera to San Andrés and 11kms more to Cedeira. Google maps gives approx a further 5kms from Mera de Arriba to O Ponte de Mera.
An albergue in San Andres would be good.......

Are you hoping to walk this Camino - if so it would be great to have a report on what you find re accommodation and these albergues

The albergue in Viveiro looks good, not far from where we stayed up by the FEVE station.
I am not sure that the other two are best placed for the camino route although the O Abeiro de Manon might be (this is the section we could not manage to walk).
The Rio Mera albergue looks to be well off the route as you actually walk through O Ponte de Mera, but I may be wrong as it depends on the route taken from Ortegueira. It would make for a long day as it is 15kms (12kms uphill!) from O Ponte de Mera to San Andrés and 11kms more to Cedeira. Google maps gives approx a further 5kms from Mera de Arriba to O Ponte de Mera.
An albergue in San Andres would be good.......

Are you hoping to walk this Camino - if so it would be great to have a report on what you find re accommodation and these albergues
I think that any more budget friendly accommodation on ruta do mar is welcome at the moment. even if it needs a detour, this is all managable with a bit of advance planning.
for the rio mera albergue (if it's open!) you could take the train to the next stop and in the morning take the train back to ponte de mera.

ruta do mar has been added to my ever growing list of caminos. but unless I win a lottery, my next long-distance camino will not happen in another three or four years. (if I'm lucky, it may be this very ambitious plan I'm working on at the moment, crossing northern spain from east to west via various caminos and endulging in all kind of romanesque :))

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What is the distance from Gijon to Ferrol_ Are there plenty of albergues? Is it possible to make reservations? Is there a luggage transfer service on Ruta del Mar as I just had back surgery.

What is the distance from Gijon to Ferrol_ Are there plenty of albergues? Is it possible to make reservations? Is there a luggage transfer service on Ruta del Mar as I just had back surgery.
I am sorry about your back surgery which will make the Ruta do Mar difficult for you.
I do not know the distance from Gijon to Ferrol but the Ruta do Mar goes from Ribadeo to San Andrés de Teixido and then to Ferrol. Long distances between any accommodation and food and virtually no infrastructure/albergues etc. No luggage transfer services.

IMO you would be better on the Norte or if wanting to walk the Inglés you could take the FEVE from Gijon to Ferrol. Both the Norte and the Ingles have good infrastructure and luggage transfer options.

Buen Camino whatever you decide

Great information. That is what I was looking for. Thank you so much. I figured as much regarding lodging, food and luggage transfer.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am sorry about your back surgery which will make the Ruta do Mar difficult for you.
I do not know the distance from Gijon to Ferrol but the Ruta do Mar goes from Ribadeo to San Andrés de Teixido and then to Ferrol. Long distances between any accommodation and food and virtually no infrastructure/albergues etc. No luggage transfer services.

IMO you would be better on the Norte or if wanting to walk the Inglés you could take the FEVE from Gijon to Ferrol. Both the Norte and the Ingles have good infrastructure and luggage transfer options.

Buen Camino whatever you decide
Why could the Ruta do Mar be difficult for me because of my back surgery? I climb only steep mountains and volcanoes where I live since there are no easy paths here in Antigua, Guatemala

Why could the Ruta do Mar be difficult for me because of my back surgery? I climb only steep mountains and volcanoes where I live since there are no easy paths here in Antigua, Guatemala
I assumed that the luggage transfer was essential rather than optional. The walking is like any other Camino but with some very long stages, 40kms with no accommodation or food. That is where we used the FEVE and bus. ☺

Well, weight is a consideration but I did do the first part of the Norte carrying my backpack before the surgery. But actually my back is stronger now with the fusion just not as flexible. We'll see with my hiking now. I may do training with weight. Thanks again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, weight is a consideration but I did do the first part of the Norte carrying my backpack before the surgery. But actually my back is stronger now with the fusion just not as flexible. We'll see with my hiking now. I may do training with weight. Thanks again.
Good to hear.
If you search through the various threads in this section of the forum you will find the various stages several of us created for our walking days. Also some links to maps etc although they are, in some cases, now 5 years old so might not be live anymore. We took the FEVE a couple of times and then bus for the last section into Ferrol. Partly distances and also time constraints. The link for our blog for the Ruta do Mar is in my signature - see 'Camino 2015' - posts mostly in June and July sections although we actually walked in May.
Happy planning and Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.