• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

NEW! Revised Techno Geek’s Guide to the Camino

Rambler

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2008 Camino Frances with Daughter, 2014 Camino Frances with Son
Or How to stay connected when you don’t want to be…

Much of this Forum’s questions are related to various technology issues that pilgrims want to address prior to leaving on their Camino. I have tried to capture as much of the information from various people’s posts to pull together a single location for information that will be a primer for future pilgrims to turn to. It should be a FAQ for the technically inclined.
May I caveat this first by stating that most people go on the Caminos to get away for their current lifestyle and a part of that is usually our inherent dependence on technology. One must keep this in mind when they travel with other pilgrims and be discrete and conscientious in the use of anything that can become an annoyance. Loud Ipod music or constantly beeping phones does not make for a good pilgrim experience.
Having said that, let’s look at some key reasons you may want to have technology with you on the Camino and some of the suggested solutions. The emphasis is on weight, cost, and functionality.

It is broken into several parts:
Communication
Telephones
Computers
Web Logs
Voice/Sound recording
Music
Apps
Podcasts
GPS
Photography
Books
Power

I hope this is of value to those that may be wondering about questions and I hope that others can provide more insight into certain areas. I will try to keep this updated as much as possible.

Attachments

• Techno Geeks Guide to the Camino.doc
    110 KB · Views: 1,996
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Re: Techno Geek’s Guide to the Camino

Well done Rambler - you've really covered everything.
For the real geek (or person where English is not their first language) - perhaps a list of acronyms and their meanings?
FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions
GSM phone = Global System for Mobile communications
SIM Card = Subscriber Identity Module

etc etc.

Touche Sil!

I did not know what SIM even stood for!

Just hope this is useful for the class of 2009.

Rambler

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Thanks for your useful guide, Rambler. I plan to take my Nokia E71-1 with me on the VdlP and buy a Spanish SIM card for it. The main use will be to email photos and text to my blog. I expect also to do some instant messaging and make a very small number of phone calls to Spanish or Australian numbers. I may use the assisted GPS feature too. I have a couple of questions that maybe readers can help me with.

1. In your guide, you mentioned a website called multimadrid.com. From there I found a link to http://www.spainsim.com/, which looks to offer what I need. Has anyone had experience with this company, for good or bad?
2. Although SIM cards are available from SpainSIM for all three networks - Movistar, Orange and Vodafone - it can only offer 3G/data SIM cards for Vodafone, http://www.spainsim.com/voda3gSIM.htm. Does anyone know how good the Vodafone coverage is along the Via de la Plata between Seville and Santiago? Can I expect to get a signal most of the time?
3. Finally, any comments on the SpainSIM offer from technically or commercially minded readers would be much appreciated.

Aldernath
http://aldernath.blogspot.com/

We had a talk from Ann Milner last Saturday at the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome Practical Pilgrim Day on Technology and the Camino.

The basis of the talk was, now phones are so smart do we need to carry many more items of equipment. When your mobile can be a camera with zoom lens, GPS, MP3, Email and Web access, and even make phone calls what else do you need?

"My clever little phone is a Nokia N95 and there is a keyboard
manufactured by Nokia that connects via bluetooth to a number of
different Nokia phone models.
I choose this phone particularly as it had a memory card slot so you
could carry quite a bit of info on the little memory cards. These
cards usually come with a converter that allows them to fit into a
standard SD camera memory type slot so you can get pics printed off
easily." Ann M

If you're interested in taking photos there is something like the Epson P-3000, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J3ZGXY/?tag=casaivar02-20, a multimedia storage drive that you can use to download photos onto. It has a built in card reader and when you connect it to a computer, via a USB-port, it works as a portable hard drive. It also plays music, so you could take it instead of an iPod or similar as well.

Thought it might be worth adding to the Techno geek's guide. =)

Hilda

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hi there,

Doing the Camino in May and would like to take my IPod Touch. Instead of carrying a phone and having to use internet cafes I plan on staying in touch using WiFi on my IPod.

Anyone have any ideas a) is WiFi common at hostels or other locations along the route? b) best way to charge an IPod without using a computer?

Thanks!

KittyKiwi said:
Hi there,

Doing the Camino in May and would like to take my IPod Touch. Instead of carrying a phone and having to use internet cafes I plan on staying in touch using WiFi on my IPod.

Anyone have any ideas a) is WiFi common at hostels or other locations along the route? b) best way to charge an IPod without using a computer?

Thanks!
I would get the adapter so that you could plug your ipod into a wall socket. I have one of these:
http://store.apple.com/es/product/MB051 ... MjE0OTQ4MA
...and it works great with my iphone (should also work with ipod touch).

Regarding wifi access in Spain. Many cafees and hotels have open/free wifi in their businesses and you can use that. The larger the cities, the better chance of finding a spot.

Buen camino!
Ivar

A software application for mobile phones to help Camino pilg

A software application for mobile phones to help Camino de Santiago de Compostela pilgrims
05 May 2009 Facultad de Informática de la Universidad Politécnica de Madrid

"... a software application that will provide a range of geomatic services for Camino de Santiago de Compostela pilgrims and allow them to share information with other users anytime and anyplace through social networking over their mobile phones. ... The application will be available free of charge as of 2010 for any user with a medium- or top-of-the-range mobile phone.
The application provides dynamic and context-dependent mobile access to and interaction with a set of resources and services supported by the databases provided by the Instituto Geográfico Nacional (IGN).
The application includes the four key pilgrimage experiences: enter, share and search information, and receive recommendations on items of interest entered by other users. This means that any pilgrim using this application on their mobile phones can search information on the most attractive sites and routes, represented graphically by maps and images provided by the Instituto Geográfico Nacional’s Spatial Data Infrastructure, as well as Google Maps.

Also, users can send information gleaned from a social network (Flickr or YouTube are now active) to share with friends and family or post photos of landscapes, people, buildings, events and any other experience they have had along the Way.

The application also recommends sites other users have shared with their mobiles for users. At this early stage, the application is available in Spanish, Galician and English only, but will be available in other languages for use by pilgrims from other parts of the world in due course.

http://www.fi.upm.es/?id=tablon&acciong ... 1&idet=202

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I have to say, at the risk of being had for breakfast on this thread, that I find all this rather sad.
Here is my anti-techno solution:

Cheap camera, normal batteries, no charger. Recycle the batteries when used. No voice recorder - write in a notebook instead.
No mobile. Put a message on saying "I am off on a pilgrimage, please email me instead" and leave at home. Use payphones and internet stations in refuges / internet cafes. If you need to be constantly reachable at all times you should be asking yourself if you are actually in the right situation to be doing a pilgrimage at all.
No iPod or other music player - you are going for a new experience, some quiet thinking time, and to experience nature and meet new people. All of which will be hampered by having a pair of headphones stuck in your ears.
No book (unless you are religious and want to bring a pocket Bible). I honestly never had time to read and hardly ever saw anyone reading. I was always busy: walking, washing socks, looking round the village, drinking a beer with an interesting new person, eating my dinner etc. You will flop into bed at 9.30pm.
No GPS - you dont need it. There are yellow arrows, and friendly people who will show you the way.

Most refuges have a very limited number of sockets for charging devices, and they aren't usually by your bed. Devices and their repective chargers all add to the weight you are carrying. You will worry about theft. Isn't a sense of freedom more valuable?

Cheap camera, normal batteries, no charger. Recycle the batteries when used. No voice recorder - write in a notebook instead.
Cheap camera, poor quality photos. Not for me. A notebook required stopping and using two hands, both occupied by trekking poles. The digital recorder weighed two ounces, had four different file folders, and held hours of thoughts.

No mobile. If you need to be constantly reachable at all times you should be asking yourself if you are actually in the right situation to be doing a pilgrimage at all.
With parents in their nineties, my cell phone was for them, not me. My observation was that "wireless courtesy" was displayed by everyone; no chatter on the trail, refuge calls made discretely outside. France puts cabines de téléphone in the sunniest place in town, easily 130 degrees in the summer. Cell phones dominate the phone-ahead reservation business. Technology puts pressure on activities like pilgrimages, but the cell phone strikes me as inevitable. The iPhone connects to the internet, probably the next technical intrusion on the solitude. You may have to get in line to rage against it!

No iPod or other music player - you are going for a new experience, some quiet thinking time, and to experience nature and meet new people. All of which will be hampered by having a pair of headphones stuck in your ears.
Things in other persons ears seem to me to be outside my province. iPods were quite useful for some in blocking night time noises that prevented sleep. They might be useful to block out the Camino bores that want you to do the pilgrimage their way.

No book (unless you are religious and want to bring a pocket Bible). I honestly never had time to read and hardly ever saw anyone reading. I was always busy: walking, washing socks, looking round the village, drinking a beer with an interesting new person, eating my dinner etc. You will flop into bed at 9.30pm.
A book is a good way to relax in the evening. Many albergues had libraries, though mostly in Spanish, so you do not have to carry your own.

No GPS - you dont need it. There are yellow arrows, and friendly people who will show you the way.
The GPS will tell you when there is only 1 km to go! At six to eight ounces, it might fit in the category of luxuries not worth carrying, but some pilgrims are gadget people, and the GPS is a fun gadget. The arrows will be superior to a GPS for finding the twists and turns. The GPS will not be that precise.

Most refuges have a very limited number of sockets for charging devices, and they aren't usually by your bed. Devices and their respective chargers all add to the weight you are carrying. You will worry about theft. Isn't a sense of freedom more valuable?
Many refuges have installed extra sockets for recharging devices. The most modern have put them by every bed. The older places may not have any sockets. France particularly has lots of sockets. The abbey at Conques even labeled the sockets for cell phone charging use. I sat by my charger to prevent theft, but felt it was a bit paranoid. Who would want a unique battery and charger? My charger is universal, and could handle any small battery. It weighs under two ounces.

Attachments

• France 258.jpg
    France 258.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 13,481
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Notion:
I can sympathize with your comments. I tried to use technology to reduce my weight, not focus on it as an end in itself.

Since many pilgrims are coming from far away, they want to be able to communicate back with loved ones.

The Techno Geek's guide is only intended as a helpful tool for those that make the choice to use it.

Hopefully no one will ever feel forced to use technology if they choose not to.

Rambler

Well said Falcon.
It is my understanding that like all other aspects of the Camino, when it comes "to techno or not to techno", we have to make our Camino our own. As in, I am going to complete my Camino the best way that suits me and my situation/condition. That probably won't be the same as the person walking beside me or the person in front of me or the person who will come behind me.
For my Camino, I have made a decision to bring the camera I want. It's a good one because taking pictures is a part of my life and I want to incorporate it into my Camino. I will do my best to ensure it does not interfere with anyone else's Camino.
I have also made a decision to bring my iPhone. Yes, it does duty for just about anything...it connects to the internet, it has music, I can watch a movie on it or read a book on it or use it as a GPS and oh ya, and I can even use it as a phone. All of that said, you probably won't see me using it much and certainly not with the headphones stuck in my ear. I will use it when I am on my own. Just because I have the technology with me, doesn't mean I will be using it to the detriment of enjoying my Camino (or anyone elses I hope).
Personally, I will get more of a sense of freedom from having my "gadgets" than I would from not having them and that's more valuable to me.
This will be part of what my Camino is like, just as Notion900 will do their Camino their way. I guess what I am trying to say here is that shouldn't we respect each other enough to make the best decision that is best for us?
Buen Camino
Bill

I had forgotten about it until Bill's comment, but when I was first doing research on the Camino, I saw a video of a musician that did the Camino carrying a large laptop so that he could write music throughout the trip. Imagine someone coming into the refugio and pulling out a computer!!
But for him, the pilgrimage was all about finding his musical voice and developing in that way. He saw technology as a tool to make his Camino more valuable.

Ultreya!

Rambler

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I used my unlocked Quad band phone with a Spanish Sim card purchased for about 15 Euros. My wife was with me so we really just used it to make some reservations and to have for emergencies.

Has anyone any advice/thoughts on blogsites?
Any particular site recommeded? Any advised against?

grayland said:
1. If I take an iPhone, what type of Sim card is needed to run the apps and texting? The only app would probably be the GPS functions which would be fun to have.\
Normally your iphone is locked to your cell provider at home. This means that any other sim will not work (unless you hack your iphone). You could just use it in "Airplane mode", like an ipod... if you download for example the TomTom gps app in advance, you should be able to use that without any new sim.
grayland said:
2. If taking a regular (non "smart") quad phone..does a standard Spanish Sim card support texting?
I think I bought the last Sim from Movistar and had a nearly impossible time communicating as my Spanish does not seem to extend into any tech issues. :wink:
It should. I have not heard of any GSM sim card that dos not support sms text messages.
grayland said:
I never could determine what the per minute charge would be to the U.S. Is there a way to get this information? What about texting..where can I find the charges for that? Text would be a fairly easy way to communicate along with an occasional phone call.
The "pay-as-you-go" sim cards are called "Tarjeta". For calling rates, have a look here (scrol down to "Tarjeta":
Calls: http://www.movistar.es/particulares/roa ... asvoz.html
SMS: http://www.movistar.es/particulares/roa ... assms.html
(Add 16% salestax)

Saludos,
Ivar

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

SMS (texting) is not cheap, even on a prepaid card. Especially when you text message is going overseas. It doesn't cost the provider any more than a local text message but they sure know how to overcharge their customer whenever they can.

They don't usually publish the rates as they are different depending on which country the text message goes to. They even charge you for receiving a text message.

It may be cheaper to call home for a few minutes at a time on a prepaid card than to send and receive a dozen or so text message.

Meanwhile, I am still looking for a good prepaid sim card from Spain that gives go rates for data traffic (for times when one couldn't find a wireless hotspot).

Hi Grayland,
I just finished my Camino on October 5th. If I were doing it again, I would still take my iPhone. I unlocked it myself (with the help of a website) and it took under 2 minutes. That is the only way you can use the only way you can use a different SIM card in the iPhone that I know of.
Before I left for my Camino, I ordered a Spanish SIM card off of ebay...big mistake I would never make again. I had so many issues with it. I ended up buying another prepaid SIM card from Vodafone in Spain for 15euros and got setup on a plan called My Country which allowed me to make calls back to Canada (would have worked for U.S. too) after 8pm (Spain time) for .18 cents/minute. Texting was .30cents/text. I also setup on a plan which allowed me to use 3G and they had a variety of plans/costs for that. There were several bars/hotels along the way that had wifi so that was another option if you wanted to use the iphone for internet. I only had 1 connection problem and that was in Hontanas. Since it is in a valley, I couldn't get enough bars. Other people were using their cell phones though. I am not trying to sell anyone on Vodafone becuase like most cell companies, I had challenges with them. I don't know if Orange or Movistar are any better. One of my issues was language. My Spanish was so limited (I would definitely learn more if I were to do another Camino) that it was difficult, even in a larger city like Burgos, at one of the Vodafone stores, trying to communicate as they did not speak English and I did not know enough Spanish to resolve my issue at the time. That was a hit and miss though as I was lucky in Pamplona because I got someone who could communicate in English.
Good luck!
Bill

Hi!

If you google ''international sim card'' you'll get a variety of offers to suit any need.

I travel extensively in Europe and I'm set up with MobilityPass.com. Not problems, easy to use, pay as you go and everthing is in English. Set up is done once by internet and that's it. No need to see or talk to anyone. No needs to change SIM whereever you go. You get a British phone number or you can keep yours for a fee. Free incoming calls, no roaming or connecting fees and reasonable rates in over 120 countries.

Call now!
Jean-Marc

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Our preferred phone is a Pay-as-you-go Orange phone (registered in England) capable of sending texts or making calls. Leave a linked electronic top-up card with a family member. All it takes is a text to them asking for a top-up to keep a reasonable credit on the phone. Before leaving for Spain you can send these 2 texts to Orange 'From Spain' and 'To Spain'; you then receive 2 replies giving the current charges - which you can save for reference. (Other service providers may do the same but I don't know.)
This worked for us when Terry was on his Camino and we will do the same again next year. It kept us in touch and although the signal was low sometimes it was possible to text even in the remote areas (Primitivo) when talking might have been more difficult. Our own home signal was probably the weaker link. Terry didn't bother with web-phone but used computers along the camino on occasion to send photos home. Phone (small clamshell) and charger weighed just 100gms.
Hope this helps anyone thinking about which type of phone to use.
Buen Camino,
Tia Valeria

All of the above seems like a hugely complicated nightmare! :shock: I don't think I'll go down this route...... :D
:arrow:

The Vodafone SIM chip has good coverage. Text messages within Spain are quite inexpensive. Use an international phone card for calls outside Spain, though, or you will use Vodafone time at a rapid rate!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Here's an interesting way to make sure if your digital camera is lost that it finds it's way home:

http://lifehacker.com/5433329/get-your- ... to-message

I think the guy went a little overboard, but even if you don't have a whiteboard, you could take a picture of a piece of paper with your contact information on it. Very good idea!

Of course, this only works if whoever finds your camera is honest...... :)

There is a hilarious scene in the movie St Jaques: La Mecque (sorry, so far only in French, but worth while for anyone). The group stumbles along a cell phone hotspot after being out of service in the Haut Aubrac. They are all walking in circles yacking their heads off.

I have done trips with no phones or other techno stuff. This year, I'll be on the as- yet- to be made official GR 653a extension of the Arles route, and I'll have full GPS, internet, and phone service along. I'm not sure I'd take much of that on the French Route though.

Hello!
New here:)
I'm walking the Portuguese camino in March.
I wonder if it possible to have some kind of map of the camino on my Iphone. If I use the map-function on the Iphone, I will have to get out on internet and thats so expensive ( when there is no wifi abroad). The same if I use google maps.
So I wonder if one can, sort of, make a map on googel maps for example, on the entire camino, save it on my Iphone and use ut without having to use internet.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. :wink:
Susanna

€83,-

Susanna, Yes I believe it is possible for your Iphone. I have done it for my Nokia 82 phone.
I made a public map in Google Mymaps limiting it to less than 100 points. After it was made on the Nokia phone using Google maps and Layers I could browse Mymaps and select the map I wished to use. Good luck!

Thank you!
I guess you made the map on your computer and then sent it to your phone? Another stupid question: How did you manage to put the map on your phone?

Creating a map is easy. But how to put it on the phone and make it stay there when offline, seems difficult ( to me;-).

These offline maps with gps is not a solution either, I guess, since one needs to find a gps-connection also.

Sus-ana,

1.I have Google Maps downloaded on my Nokia 82 phone.
2.To make personal maps on my computer in Google My Maps I sign in
with my Google account id on my computer.
3.To use Google Maps on my phone I sign in with the same ID.
4.On the phone in Google maps there is a search called Layers.
5.In Layers I can use any of the maps I made in Google My Maps.
However to read any Google maps on the phone an internet connection is needed.

Another possibility without needing the internet would be to
1.Make personal maps in Google My Maps on the computer
2. Copy the image into Google Docs on the computer
3. Call up Google Docs on your phone
4. Save the Google docs image as a photo on your phone
Hope this helps!

You can contact me at MeredithSykes@gmail.com
Read my blogs at MSCamino.blogspot.com

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thank you very much, that was indeed helpful!

I have made some samples and tried and they look great.
Much better than the maps in the guide book;-)

I looked at your blog, how sad you could not walk all the way.
I'm hoping you will soon get well,
All the best
Susanna

So...what I want to know is: Who will be the first pilgrim to walk the Way with an iPad...? :wink:

VT

€83,-

@VT if the iPad had been out before I left for the Camino, I was seriously thinking about it. Without the 3G, though.

In retrospect, I don't know.....probably not.

Sorry, I didn't walk with an iPad this year. But I did walk with a Kindle2, and an iPhone 3GS, and a small cell phone. I left the solar charger at home (it really wasn't necessary at all, there were always plugs available at the gites at least alternate days).

The Kindle was very helpful, mostly on the (long!) flights in and out, and the rest days. My book inventory included fiction as well as spiritual reading; next time I'll try to include some architectural/historical/regional reading. There is a weight issue however, so next year I will take the Kindle3 with no cover (this will save about a half pound 250g). The Kindle charger shares pieces with the iPhone charger.

The iPhone I used for calls home to the States, for checking emails at the very occasional wifi hotspots, as my French phrasebook, and as my camera. That's a lot of functionality in a small package. Since I didn't count the contents of my pants pockets toward the pack weight, the weight contribution was nil.

The cell phone was the smallest lightest cheapest unlocked cell phone I could find in Austria (no camera, no extra features) last year, swapped with a French SIM from Orange (SIM plus an hour talk time ran 40 euroes). I had coverage almost everywhere I tried to use it, which was exclusively for managing the reservations. Invaluable!

Does anybody know how to update a Google map, on a Goggle Blogspot blog, from an I phone using Motion X GPS? I was hoping that I could post a daily position on a blog map from an I phone using this GPS app. It seems like this should be doable but I haven't got a clue just how to do it.

John

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Kialoa3 said:
I was hoping that I could post a daily position on a blog map from an I phone using this GPS app. John

Before you go further down this road, you might want to check the cost of the iPhone data connection in Europe. Unlike the US-zone unlimited data included with the monthly flat rate, in Europe the data runs $20 per MB of download, unless you're using wifi. From Le Puy to Cahors I managed a wifi spot about once a week, but I don't know the situation in Spain.

Kitsambler, excellent point. Two summers ago, while in Spain, my iphone was costing me about $100/day before I realized that I should turn off the data roaming! Wondering if anyone has had experience unlocking their iphone and getting a new SIM card on the Camino? I want to have my phone with me, but don't want to wait for a wifi zone to upload photos, send emails, etc.

I unlocked both mine and my wife's phones and bought a SIM in Spain. I did check on prices and came up with Lebara as the best at that time. I used the phone to text back to the U.S. and to text to other pilgrims along the way. My wife came later and met me and we were able to easily contact each other and stay in contact. Very inexpensive.
I would never use my U.S. SIM card...I would leave my phone at home if I could not unlock it and buy a throw away phone in Spain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

An update based on this year's walk (Sept-Oct 2011, Cahors to SJPP).

The Kindle3 sans cover was used almost entirely for the Cicerone Guide (Alison Raju's book) during this year's walk - I was too busy otherwise. The small unlocked cellphone with French SIM never worked, but I dutifully lugged the darned thing around with me rather than chucking it. Turns out, Orange (French telecom) requires their SIMs be used at least every three months, and it had been in the States for 11 months. Apparently the European Commission has been after the telecoms to clean up their act on this issue, but the current situation is that I would need to buy a new SIM at the beginning of every trip.

So next year, I will just use the iPhone (which I always carry anyhow). Its Kindle app can be used for reading the route guides. I can call the lodgings for reservations. And I save a pound (500g)!

Thank you for this valuable information. I am sure there are some updates, but the basic information is a really nice thing to have. I am walking the Camino Frances in May/June 2012
and am grateful for this guide!
Bozzie

HI

I rely on share trading for income. I'm trying to decide whether to 'unplug' from al this for the duration of the camino, which I'd prefer, or to do the responsible thing and remain in touch with my investments.
At home I use Firefox on my PC, with the security enhanced by Trusteer Rapport to access transactional websites securely. Trusteer is not available for tablet computers [I don't think], but I'd be happy with the usual https connection if I could be sure that doing so across a public wi-fi link is as secure as it would be accessing via my normal broadband link at home.

Can anyone confirm, or otherwise, please that using an Android tablet across a public wi-fi is as secure as using an https connection through conventional landline broadband?

Thanks

Ha. Fair enough. Looks as though I'm going to be leaving my investments to themselves then. I hope the Camino is feeling benevolent.

{like your tag line Ping.]

antelope said:
{I've got nothing against God - it's his fan-club I cannot stand} like your tag line Ping.]
Neither God, nor His fan-club; it's the hooligans I really dislike!
Religion makes good people better, and bad people worse

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I am looking for a translation app. that speaks out the translation. I have heard they exist. Also, I do not have a smartphone so any suggestions would be appreciated. I am walking the le puy and the frances starting in july and i am having a hard time making reservations on the le puy ....french is alot harder to pronounce than spanish. gracias, christina

The Columbian hospitalero in Torres del Rio typed Spanish into his computer, pressed Enter, and the computer spoke English! That does not help you much, but there are programs out there. One may be a mobile app...

cdoug1946 said:
I am looking for a translation app. that speaks out the translation. I have heard they exist. Also, I do not have a smartphone so any suggestions would be appreciated. I am walking the le puy and the frances starting in july and i am having a hard time making reservations on the le puy ....french is alot harder to pronounce than spanish. gracias, christina

If you want something like this you're either going to need to get a smart phone (even a used one that isn't hooked to an account - that's what I have) or a translator. Since the translator has only one function, I'd go with the phone. Ask around. If you have any techno-geek friends at home, odds are good they have an old smart phone you can borrow during your camino. I got mine from a friend who literally set down a shoe box full of old phones in front of me and told me to take whatever I wanted. Every time I go back to visit him I upgrade from his latest selection. ;)

Yes, I so want to disconnect! But it appears that my choice this time around is to do it and deal with the need to be semi-connected because of an online job, or skip out until a better time.

thank you for help. what i don't understand is yes, now if i have found a used smartphone how do i get it working? (i would like to have a translation app and i want to use it for reservations in france because you really need to call ahead.) first, don''t i have to have a smartphone that works in europe (i plan on going to france, spain and morocco). i would like a prepaid plan. also does the translation app work without anything? no connection? boy am i confused. i guess thats why i don't have a smartphone yet but i sure would like to get one.

you may be able to get a pre-paid plan *IF* your smartphone uses a sim card *and* is unlocked. If either of those is not the case, it won't work on a network but you can still use wifi. If you want one that will, for sure, work on a European network, you'll need to get one in Europe. I've been using mine (from the US) here (in Mexico) for almost a year with no problems but I don't use it to make calls, just for reading, surfing the net, taking pics, etc.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I have an unlocked iPhone, and bought a Vodafone data SIM chip in Spain. I added time when necessary. Ten Euros lasted about a week if I avoided any streaming. Of course, WiFi was cheaper when it was available. Bars with WiFi often have the "contrasena" for customers. Ask.

EvaF said:
Yes, I so want to disconnect! But it appears that my choice this time around is to do it and deal with the need to be semi-connected because of an online job, or skip out until a better time.

We Camino(ed) disconnected, we stayed in the moment/grounded, or were we just more connected to our Camino & you guys more connected to the outside world.......... :) .

..........did go on the internet just before arriving in Santiago........while drinking wine & eating food from the bar! :roll: & doing

Abbeydore said:
We Camino(ed) disconnected, we stayed in the moment/grounded, or were we just more connected to our Camino & you guys more connected to the outside world.......... :) .

You imply that being connected to the camino and being connected to the outside world must be mutually exclusive... I don't really see that that's true, though maybe it is for some people...

PingHansen said:
One of the major impacts of the Camino, is the disconnect from the usual. If you carry the internet with you, you'll diminish the experience.

In your opinion...

vagabondette

This is the usual flame from the anti Techno Geeks:

by PingHansen on 11 Jun 2012, 04:13
One of the major impacts of the Camino, is the disconnect from the usual. If you carry the internet with you, you'll diminish the experience.

I am surprised they want to open the contents of this Subject which they obviously abhor: when we do not like a TV program we switch it off; using this analogy if they detest a Subject in this forum they should not open it and get involved with the Subject.

To each his or her own Camino.

JALAN JAUH said:
vagabondette

This is the usual flame from the anti Techno Geeks:

by PingHansen on 11 Jun 2012, 04:13

I am surprised they want to open the contents of this Subject which they obviously abhor: when we do not like a TV program we switch it off; using this analogy if they detest a Subject in this forum they should not open it and get involved with the Subject.

To each his or her own Camino.

:) I'm breaking my "quote and say thanks" rule.

It's surprising to me how judgmental people are on this subject. As long as someone isn't forcing you to carry or use technology, why do you care? What's funny to me is, in my experience of more than 3 years continuous travel, it's the ones who talk most about how glad they are to 'disconnect' and not have technology with them that ask me to use my laptop the most. Then they get all huffy when I say no. (incidentally, I say no not to punish them for being hypocrites but because I use my laptop to support myself so if something happens to it, I'm screwed. When one guy got really pissy about my refusal I told him he could use it if he gave me a $500 USD cash security deposit that I could hold for a month to ensure he didn't download something that would kill my system. He shut up. :))

Anyway, I tend to agree that if people aren't interested in bringing technology with them they should just stay off the thread vs adding their "you're not doing a real camino if you access the internet" crap.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

However, the psychological impact of the Camino is, among other factors, a function of a removal from the daily grind and distractions, which for many people causes a different perspective and a tendency to grok your life. It's called inner peace.
For me, that is not even close to true. Maybe that is why everyone's Camino is her/his own!

PingHansen said:
Flame? Riiiiiiiight :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I suspect any opinion that differs from yours, is to be considered a flame :p

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less if anyone want to bring the Internet with them, or not. That's their
"problem".

However, the psychological impact of the Camino is, among other factors, a function of a removal from the daily grind and distractions, which for many people causes a different perspective and a tendency to grok your life. It often leads to inner peace.

I want that inner peace, so I leave the distraction of the Internet at home, and feel better for it. I feel that I get a spiritual benefit. That's MY Camino.

Happily, I'm not one of those poor souls addicted to social networks and don't suffer from withdrawal symptoms. Plus I bring plenty of large memory cards for my camera :wink:

And you ASSume that everyone using technology is doing it because they're addicted or have a "problem" why?

This is YOUR camino. That's great. But stating this

If you carry the internet with you, you'll diminish the experience.

as if it's a fact vs YOUR opinion, is pretty arrogant and condescending. You don't want to carry tech, that's fine. Some of us don't have the option to disconnect so telling us our experience is going to be somehow less than yours because of that is just obnoxious.

Perhaps in the future you could say something to the effect of "I'm one of those people who can't focus on more than one thing at a time so I'm not able to balance the camino with being online therefore I don't take technology."

Whatever you decide to do in the future, just keep in mind that implying that people who don't do the camino the way you do it will have a worse experience is not a very "camino-ish" attitude.

I guess (as with many other Camino questions), each one have their preferences.

What I think is useful is to hear the various points of views on a range of topics. No one view is "correct" or "wrong", just different.

On these topics where people disagree, the trick is not to get personal, but hear the other person out... present your view and agree that you have a different opinion.

That is (in my opinion) why these topics are interesting.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

does anyone know if a iphone 3gs or 4gs from the USA will work on the camino frances route? Im mostly not interested in making any phone calls but would like to use the internet or wi-fi to posts blogs along the way. Also is anyone from usa has done this my current plan is with AT&T....

If this is not an option what have you used to post blogs and pictures along the way?

Thanks

The WiFi will work. Cellular internet will only work if you have an unlocked phone and a data chip from Vodafone or Orange. There are lots of computers along the way, so you can blog and send emails at bars and albergues. Internet cafes, though, are rare.

Unless you want to return to a bill of several hundred dollars, I would not count on using your US data plan while traveling. You will be able to access wifi though to do what you need to do.

For those of you from North America who intend to rely on wifi, do check if your phone will work with European wifi
Excellent advice, but I am not sure how you do that before you get to Europe! My iPhone worked fine, and has some tweaks available in Settings that might cure any problem I encounter. Cellular service in Europe requires multi-band GSM, so a phone from the U.S. will need at least that.

realtree71 said:
does anyone know if a iphone 3gs or 4gs from the USA will work on the camino frances route? Im mostly not interested in making any phone calls but would like to use the internet or wi-fi to posts blogs along the way. Also is anyone from usa has done this my current plan is with AT&T....

I just returned from walking in Czech Republic, Germany, and Paris with a locked American iPhone 4GS on ATT. Before I left the US, I bought a block of data (125 M) for $50 (you'll have to go to the ATT page to check current rates and other options). It served me very well, I was able to check email (30-50 incoming msgs daily) and daily blog posts (with photos). Wifi was hard to access in these areas Although the lodgings had wifi, it was locked down as a private network and they wouldn't share with guests (generally speaking). Hotels in the cities of course offered wifi as a service to guests. It is much less expensive to pre-purchase the data; in November I did not, and as Vagabondette indicates, the price was very steep (over $800). Be sure to turn off the apps running in background, as they will be unintended data hogs (newspaper apps are notorious for this).

HELP!! Re: Techno Geek’s Guide to the Camino

About 5 years ago, after finishing the Camino Frances with my daughter, I wrote a little tidbit called "Techno Geek’s Guide to the Camino" to try and help the next class with many of the subjects that were coming up on this forum related to technology.

Over the years, I have had many people ask that I update this to take into account new technology and the new opportunities available on the Camino. Work has a way of getting in the way of pontificating on the Camino, so I never have gotten around to this.

I am now planning my next Camino with my son for 2014 and realized that it is a good time to pick back up the keyboard and make a Redux on this guide.

But I need everyone's help.

Last time, I broke the subject down into these parts:
-Communication
-Telephones
-Computers
-Web Logs
-Voice/Sound recording
-Music
-Apps
Podcasts
-GPS
-Photography
-Books
-Power

Now obviously there are many apps and smartphones to take into account as well as tablets, etc.

I am looking for two things from the Camino family here:
What questions would you like to see this guide answer?
What did you find was advice you would share with other pilgrims?

If you want to start posting on this thread I will compile ideas and give a table of contents before I start to work.

I look forward to again participating in the Camino forum and hope a revised Guide will be of value to others in the future.

Rambler

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back