• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Old habitual or new technological and lighter

Elndim

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuges 2018 (Frances 2019)
Hi!
I have an old jacket windbreaker. Ten years with me everywhere. As a second skin, 260 gr. And a new technological one 180 g, but bright and unusual for me color.
Similarly, the old blouse with long sleeves 250 gr. and a new 160 g to which I am not accustomed.
So with old and new items already purchased, which one should I choose? The good old but heavier or... New, modern and lighter, but unknown to me things

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would want to try out any new gear before taking it with me for a long multi-day walk. And then decide whether the fairly small weight saving is worthwhile. Better to discover any problems when at home and more able to change your mind and packing list.

I would want to try out any new gear before taking it with me for a long multi-day walk. And then decide whether the fairly small weight saving is worthwhile. Better to discover any problems when at home and more able to change your mind and packing list.
I'm trying to do it. But I'm going to Camino October, and now in August it's too warm to try them

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi!
I have an old jacket windbreaker. Ten years with me everywhere. As a second skin, 260 gr. And a new technological one 180 g, but bright and unusual for me color.
Similarly, the old blouse with long sleeves 250 gr. and a new 160 g to which I am not accustomed.
So with old and new items already purchased, which one should I choose? The good old but heavier or... New, modern and lighter, but unknown to me things
According to my calculations, that is170 grams difference. Not a lot. If it were me, I´d wear the one that feels better.

I'd usually go for the ones I already had time to test and know are comfortable when walking.

That said, bright colors on the camino are GOOD. You want cars to see you from the distance. You want to be easily spotted if you ever trip down the road or (touch wood) a cliff.

For those two reasons, my camino gear is a comfortable set of pinks, bright blues and neon yellows :)

My hesitation is for more items of this kind. . Five or six. So the total weight loss would reach 500 grams, perhaps

Hi Elndim. May I suggest that you let us know what route/how many days are you walking? And what you are planning to pack?
That way it's easier to make suggestions :)

As a starting point, 2 or 3 sets of clothes are more than enough to walk a camino, even the long ones. You don't need 5 or 6 of anything (not even socks)! If you search for "packing list" at the search function at the top, you will see some examples of what other users were carrying, and that can give you some ideas.

You would be surprised how little is actually needed to walk a Camino!

Hi Elndim. May I suggest that you let us know what route/how many days are you walking? And what you are planning to pack?

As a starting point, 2 or 3 sets of clothes are more than enough to walk a camino, even the long ones. You don't need 5 or 6 of anything (not even socks)! If you search for "packing list" at the search function at the top, you will see some examples of what other users were carrying, and that can give you some ideas.

In 2018 I went to the Portuguese camino from Porto. In 2019, I drove 400 km to Sahagun. Now I want to continue from Sahagun to Santiago. I was referring to 5 different items that I bought with the idea of a lighter backpack. In the past times, her weight was just over 6 kg.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I try not to take anything that I really don't want to lose or want to part with. You can always buy something in Spain if needed. I try to take old, comfortable, stuff that I could easily throw away at the end of the journey if I wanted or needed.

For example, we lost 2 rain ponchos and 2 silk liner bags this year when I mailed them to my final hotel destination and they never arrived. While they were still serviceable, they were not expensive and had already seen a few Caminos as well as use at home. Better than losing something like an expensive new down sleeping bag or jacket, etc.

Also new tech gear may signal that you have other valuables. The Camino is relatively safe, but there are still thefts reported.

My hesitation is for more items of this kind. . Five or six. So the total weight loss would reach 500 grams, perhaps
For example Birkenstock Arizona and Birkenstok Madrid are 180 and 120 gr. Arizona has two straps and therefore more stable maybe? And as a result, I could cut up to half a kilo if I changed pork items with lighter ones.

I understand that sounds silly. Maybe the question is, should I chase a lighter backpack? I'm afraid of most of my years and the immobilization of the past years

I’m a sucker for gear. I doubt I could lift half of my super-duper lightweight gear if I collected it together. I even had to buy a massive bag to store all my rucksacks to avoid Mrs HtD blowing a fuse.

During Covid I devoted myself to weighing, trimming, packing and unpacking my usual Camino outfit. I weighed everything to the gramme and bought lighter weight replacements where possible.

Just before my last Camino earlier this year - and not for the first time - I reverted to type and set off with that which has served me well in the past.

Not all was lost. I now know that a €20 weighs less than two €10’s and I have adopted a super light pair of boxers and t-shirt as sleep-ware.

Every camino I try something new. This next time (Oct. 2023, Porto to SdC): 1) using red tailight lens plastic over the light in my cell phone instead of carrying a headlamp with a red light function (red has shortest wave lengths and avoids waking sleeping pilgrims); 2) a 3oz umbrella; 3) plantar fasciitis compression sleeves for my feet. To carry the same thing time after time suggests a kind of perfection that is just not realistic.

Discoveries I have made over time: 1) a rain kilt/skirt (even for a guy) is much better than rain pants, and much lighter; 2) a very light (Cocoon brand) pillow case is so worth it; 3) neoprene slippers are much lighter than any other albergue shoe I've seen and work just fine; 4) a very light backpacking down quilt (mine is 12 oz) is worth it for shoulder season walks; 5) a pack liner is way better than a pack cover (and about 1/3 the weight);

Buen camino, and good for you for trying new things.

Hi!
I'd try to get used to the new lighter ones, color and all.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You have lots of time to try out your new lighter weight gear. You should not be taking clothes items that are too thick or too warm to be tested in August-September. Your clothes should almost all be thin, light layers that would be layered for cooler weather. Your examples seemed to be items that you should be able to test and get used to. What items do you have that you cannot test in August or September?

the old blouse with long sleeves 250 gr. and a new 160 g to which I am not accustomed.
Is this blouse so warm that you cannot test it?
For example Birkenstock Arizona and Birkenstok Madrid are 180 and 120 gr. Arizona has two straps and therefore more stable maybe?
You can test these two different sandals in August.

The only items I would carry for an October start that could not be tested effectively in August would be my down vest, and maybe my rain jacket if it doesn't rain this month. A lighter wind breaker could probably be tested adequately

You need to decide in each case, whether the lighter weight is "worth it." Maybe for one shirt it is, but for another it isn't. But don't abandon the principle of trying to lighten your pack, 100 g at a time.

Hi!
Take the old one , keeps you feeling comfertsble

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back