• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Next after Camino Frances

Ataeb

Time of past OR future Camino
Sep/Oct 2023
May/Jun 2024
Hello,
I walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2023 and have an opportunity (i.e. time) to do another one this May/June - although I only have ~4 weeks available. I'm thinking Norte (part of) but am interested in the opinion of people that have done it multiple times.
Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Many of us who have had the opportunity to walk the same camino multiple times agree with these lovely, poignant lines by Jose Saramago.

"The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to go over them again or add fresh ones alongside them.You have to start the journey anew. Always"
Jose Saramago, A Journey to Portugal

Having read some very poignant posts on the topic, my suggestion is this:

Before you walk a second Camino, be sure you understand what suited you about the first, and what you are looking for from a second.

Looking for a second "Camino family" and/or lots of pilgrim interactions and/or cheaper albergues? Stick with the Frances, but start from somewhere along the traditional way (Pamplona?) Don't pick an isolated route, and although you'll see pilgrims on the Norte, you'll also see more general travelers.

Looking for cooler weather? Don't pick the southern routes in May/June.

Looking for different scenery? Identify what you want to see.

Do you intend to obtain a Compostela or a distance certificate? End up in Santiago, whichever route you choose.

Would you like to go on to Finisterre and/or Muxia afterward? Depending on your speed and your desired distance/day, pick either a shorter route that ends in Santiago between 2-3 weeks, or start closer in on the Frances.

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many of us who have had the opportunity to walk the same camino multiple times agree with these lovely, poignant lines by Jose Saramago.

"The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to go over them again or add fresh ones alongside them.You have to start the journey anew. Always"
What a beautiful reply... I guess I have a lot of thinking to do before I make my decision :)

Having read some very poignant posts on the topic, my suggestion is this:

Before you walk a second Camino, be sure you understand what suited you about the first, and what you are looking for from a second.

Looking for a second "Camino family" and/or lots of pilgrim interactions and/or cheaper albergues? Stick with the Frances, but start from somewhere along the traditional way (Pamplona?) Don't pick an isolated route, and although you'll see pilgrims on the Norte, you'll also see more general travelers.

Looking for cooler weather? Don't pick the southern routes in May/June.

Looking for different scenery? Identify what you want to see.

Do you intend to obtain a Compostela or a distance certificate? End up in Santiago, whichever route you choose.

Would you like to go on to Finisterre and/or Muxia afterward? Depending on your speed and your desired distance/day, pick either a shorter route that ends in Santiago between 2-3 weeks, or start closer in on the Frances.

Buen Camino
Thank you for your reply. The short answer is 'not sure' :), but I will spend some time to identify what makes most sense for me based on your suggestions.

The land through which the Norte goes is beautiful, and so very different to the CF. I really don't think you need to look much further, or over think things. The only observation would be that 4 weeks is probably not enough, so you would need to consider not doing the full route - and I think some of the most beautiful scenery is at the beginning.

Another idea though. El Salvador, Primitivo, then carry on to the Muxia/Finisterre - 4 weeks is ample and you will pass through some of the most beautiful scenery of anywhere you are likely to walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ha, you sound like me! I did the CF same time but instead of May, I plan to do my 2nd in July. And like you, I will have 4 weeks. After much thought, I thin I am going to do the same as what DaveSy above suggested so I can fully do the camino. Last one, I had to skip stages and I did not like the consequences from doing that. Plus, the SS and SP look stunning!

I've been asking myself what's next also, and the answer changes daily:

- I really want to experience that camaraderie I felt on the CF; I'm going to walk the Caminho Português

- Or maybe the Primitivo, but I'll have to train for those hills ...

- Actually, no, I want wild beauty and nature ... I'm going to walk from Lourdes to Pamplona ...

- Hmmm, no, I want complete immersion, three to four weeks isn't long enough, I'm going to ask for a leave-of-absence from work and walk the Via de la Plata ...

I just did a longer post on the Via Francigena - you have time to walk from Lucca to Rome, though it's a very different experience from the CF

Hello,
I walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2023 and have an opportunity (i.e. time) to do another one this May/June - although I only have ~4 weeks available. I'm thinking Norte (part of) but am interested in the opinion of people that have done it multiple times.
Thanks.
Ruta De Lana is 27-28 days depending on where you start and stop. After reading pilgrims accounts from Peregrina2000 and others it where I’m heading.
I did the Madrid last fall and the Lana sounds similar: less crowded route with great scenery, and easy to get to and from. You also have the Gronze, Buen Camino Apps to with their interactive maps and information help guide you, and of course all the assistance in the Ruta de Lana forum.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ruta De Lana is 27-28 days depending on where you start and stop. After reading pilgrims accounts from Peregrina2000 and others it where I’m heading.
I did the Madrid last fall and the Lana sounds similar: less crowded route with great scenery, and easy to get to and from. You also have the Gronze, Buen Camino Apps to with their interactive maps and information help guide you, and of course all the assistance in the Ruta de Lana forum.
I have the Lana on my list to do in two years. I would say that his time frame of Sept/Oct would preclude walking the Lana because of the extreme heat he would encounter.
I was going to do the Mozarabe this year but I have to start earlier than I expected and will not walk a southern camino in early October. When I did the VDLP in 2021 I started about October 18th or so from Sevilla and the heat was well into the 90'sF every day for about 10 days. Relentless heat and no shade was not alot of fun for me. Maybe it is a little cooler there than on the Mozarabe or the VDLP. I am not an expert.
Oh yea, this October I will start on the Aragones (second time) go over to Madrid and do the CM and from Sahagun head over to Porto and try the Coastal Portugues. Did it last year and loved it even though I basically swam to Santiago.

Last edited:
Hello,
Thanks.
I walked the Portuguese (Porto to Santiago) in May the year after I walked the Frances in Sept/Oct. Some of the same beautiful experiences, but also a different walk. I enjoyed both and would recommend it. Buen Camino

We are walking the Le Puy en Valley France in June, July, and August but we are taking it slow. Look at Gronze and see if you can cut it down to your time Frame, some recommendations are its easy in 42 days.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have the Lana on my list to do in two years. I would say that his time frame of Sept/Oct would preclude walking the Lana because of the extreme heat he would encounter.
I was going to do the Mozarabe this year but I have to start earlier than I expected and will not walk a southern camino in early October. When I did the VDLP in 2021 I started about October 18th or so from Sevilla and the heat was well into the 90'sF every day for about 10 days. Relentless heat and no shade was not alot of fun for me. Maybe it is a little cooler there than on the Mozarabe or the VDLP. I am not an expert.
Oh yea, this October I will start on the Aragones (second time) go over to Madrid and do the CM and from Sahagun head over to Porto and try the Coastal Portugues. Did it last year and loved it even though I basically swam to Santiago.
I think he is going May/June so I put a start day mid May to June into Camino Weather App and the average looks enticing. See below.

IMG_7866.jpeg
IMG_7865.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7865.jpeg
    IMG_7865.jpeg
    734.8 KB · Views: 3
Hello,
Thanks.
I also walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2023 and I'm drawn to return. This time in a different season and for even longer.

What a beautiful reply... I guess I have a lot of thinking to do before I make my decision :)
Not really - it is clearly MUST BE... (🥁🥁🥁) CAMINO PORTUGUES!!!! 🤣

Buen Camino!!!! 🚶‍♂️

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello,
Thanks.
First of all, what are you looking for?

If you want less pilegrims and harder, but more beautiful stages, walk the Primitivo. You will do it in the 2 weeks incl one restday in Lugo. After reaching SdC, walk on to Finesterre (4 days).

And; don´t expect it to be like last year. It might be, but probably not.
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back