• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post Camino suggestions

• Thread starter Former member 111635
  • Start date
F

Former member 111635

Hi, do people have suggestions for what to do after doing the last 115 km of the Camino Frances and resting a bit in Santiago? Any nearby towns or places worth seeing other than muxia and Finisterre? I'm more interested in smaller places, doing something creative or contemplative than big loud city life. Or possibly biking somewhere or another small section of the Camino Portuguese for a couple of days? I'm open to suggestions... Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Several of us on the Primitivo around 23-24 Sept took a rest day in Lugo, and I took Monbus to Muxia afterward (1-2 Oct)for an overnight.

I believe that the current Lugo St Frolian festivals end on 12 Oct (Spanish holiday?).

For me, Lugo for Roman walls and ruins, cool cafés, and the Cathedral tour. Many lodging options, walkable (if a bit hilly leaving town). Muxia for a oceanside fishing town, the sunset into the Atlantic, and Nuestra Señora de la Barca. I stayed in a double room at the Albergue Da Costa Muxia - absolutely lovely place, with an outdoor lounging terrace overlooking the ocean.

Best wishes!

Possibly Padron. The Church of Santiago there has the "Padron" (the stone the boat that his remains were in, was tied to), not to mention Padron peppers. I think there is a bus, maybe walk one way, and take the bus the other way (or bus both).
The other thing I would like to point out is that the renovation of the Cathedral in Santiago has led to tours that you can take; the tour of the roof of the Cathedral was spectacular. There is also a "Nocturnal" tour of the inside (even though it was 10:30 pm). I was just there two weeks ago and I'm so thrilled that I had enough time to do both! peace, Bob

Here's some pictures of the Roof Tour

Attachments

• IMG_20230923_115336.jpg
    IMG_20230923_115336.jpg
    806.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230923_111414_kindlephoto-121797362.jpg
    IMG_20230923_111414_kindlephoto-121797362.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230923_114321.jpg
    IMG_20230923_114321.jpg
    876 KB · Views: 4
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We enjoyed spending a few days in Pontevedra after arriving in Santiago this past spring. It is a fairly short train ride from Santiago. We´ve also had good stays in Muxia, A Coruna, and Gijon. (But Gijon is pretty far from Santiago.)

I preferred Muxia to Fisterre after walking Camino 2 years ago. Smaller town and prettier.

This year we will going to Salamanca and then to Avila on our way to Madrid and home.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Take the train to A Corona, walk/ bike back in
Love this suggestion. I spent 5 days post-Camino (Portuguese) recovery, rest and relaxation, in A Coruna in May 2019. A lovely town with a vibrant centre, good bars and nightlife and beaches right there in the town. Often overlooked and I hope it does stay a little off the radar but form I was very pleased I chose to stay there.

Love this suggestion. I spent 5 days post-Camino (Portuguese) recovery, rest and relaxation, in A Coruna in May 2019. A lovely town with a vibrant centre, good bars and nightlife and beaches right there in the town. Often overlooked and I hope it does stay a little off the radar but form I was very pleased I chose to stay there.
I spent three post Camino days in A Coruña in 2017, and really loved it there. Bonus is that it's only a half hour by train from Santiago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've been to Toledo several times. If you have the time it is an excellent day trip from Madrid.

Or if you walk the Camino de Levante or the Camino de Sureste you will walk through Toledo.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.