• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

no more gear year

andy.d

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Levante 2009
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2011
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2014
Pilgrims Way Winchester - Canterbury
Camino Ingles (Ferrol) 2015
Cistercian Way (Wales) 2016
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I didn't pay full price for anything I bought for my camino. I bought some of my clothes at Goodwill, most of my gear at a close-out store called Next Adventure, and took advantage of being in Portland, OR, using 50% off coupons at the Adidas Employee Store as well as getting a pass to the Columbia Sportswear Employee Store. The rest I already had from before. I don't think you need to spend hundreds of dollars/pounds/euros/etc on a kit either. You just have to be patient for the deals and in the case of Goodwill, you just have to be persistent. Just the other day, I got a synthetic long sleeved workout shirt for $5 at Target. It will be perfect for a top layer for the Camino. You don't need to spend $50 on a high tech t-shirt. I belong to The Clymb, a discount gear website. I keep an eye on the deals there too.

I think if one is patient and plans accordingly, you can get a decent kit for the Camino at a reasonable price. You really don't need much. :) And if you do need more than you brought, the Camino provides. :)

If you have the time and money and interest to buy top end equipment, then go for it, but it really isn't necessary. I used a Kmart pack (it came free with a tent we bought) for my two caminos and it was just right for me. My boots and clothes have simply been whatever has been on sale at the time. It is more important that the equipment fits you well, is sturdy enough to last a camino and not too heavy.. just make sure that you have tried everything out well beforehand. I think that we sometimes get a bit obsessed with getting everything absolutely perfect, and the best brands. Good enough is all you need.. you will still have a great camino. :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree with Andy that there is no need to buy new, unless something really needs replacing.

Apart from boots Terry had to invest in new gear for 2009 and I had to do the same for 2010, as we only had boots at the time. Having said that much was bought as a retirement gift, and nearly all at sale prices. A lovely way to remember good friends by using 'their' kit on the Camino.

We went for a good make that suits our needs and the same gear will be on its 3rd year for Terry. We use the same kit also for walking here in England. Our new boots were bought at the end of 2009 and have been kept for this year, apart from occasional use.
Sadly Terry's Camino boots finally wore out last week - the linings had gone. My old boots are OK for training but I'll wear the 'new' pair for the Camino.
I did buy a new rucksac at the end of last year, to give me more and better packing space. (The 'daysack' is still fine for days out/training.) Hopefully we have all the kit we'll need without having to buy anything else.
So our kit is really like an old friend, and hopefully will still last for a good while yet.

Just before we set out in May we bought ourselves the Sea to Summit silpacs for our rest days and sightseeing after the Camino. At 68gms and waterproof they were a good buy and doubled as shopping bags for food on the Camino.

We have just invested in new boots for next year (if needed), and beyond, as the type we like are being discontinued. So although this was supposed to be 'no more gear year' we hope it will be true instead for next year.

I, as Renegade did, bought most of my clothing at Goodwill and yard sales. Portland has GREAT Goodwill stores!

This year, the one piece of new equipment I did invest in was a brand new pair of New Balance Trail Shoes. WHOOPIE! Those puppies were spendy, but worth every penny! I wore them from the store onto Forest Park trails for a 4 mile hike. They fit PERFECT! I'm in love...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes most of our stuff is from the sales. Those boots I mentioned above were half price because of being discontinued. The rest has been gifts. Good equipment isn't cheap, but any way to lower the cost is good isn't it.
Annie are Goodwill shops what we would call Charity shops? Where we live the stuff in them is mostly very worn, but it is always worth looking.
It is the boots that we would always want new, so that they haven't broken in to fit someone elses feet. So glad we found some - we'll just have to keep walking to justify the expense :lol:
Busy saving up now for the Camino next year :)

Most read last week in this forum

In a quandry about whether to wear my hiking sandals or leather hiking boots on the Camino.
My daughter is coming with me and wondering if a 2-piece swimsuit is appropriate, or if she needs a 1-piece. Suggestions?
Hi everyone I'm really having problems with planning what to pack for my walk from SJPP during mid March. From what I understand the Napolean route will still be closed? And the big headache is...
I'm currently refining my packing list for the Camino Frances, starting in SJPDP on September 24, and walking through to the end of October/beginning of November. While I understand that the...
Any places to grab some before/during the Camino Frances? Don't think I'll be able to grab any in advance.
I will be finishing the first half of the Norte in about 3 days and then transferring to the Primitivo. I have a couple of blisters that my hiking boots just seemed to keep rubbing on and I think...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.