• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No room at the inn (Najera)

Purple Backpack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF’12 VF’16 VP w/variants 2022/23 Norte’23
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making rough plans, I got to the Logrono to Santo Domingo stage and am having a problem finding things. Looks like Najera is the typical stage but two hotels were full Mid May and one looks closed. I’m hoping someone can offer suggestions, I don’t mind staying off stage or longer days. Many thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making rough plans, I got to the Logrono to Santo Domingo stage and am having a problem finding things. Looks like Najera is the typical stage but two hotels were full Mid May and one looks closed. I’m hoping someone can offer suggestions, I don’t mind staying off stage or longer days. Many thanks!
Have you tried looking on line at Pensión San Lorenzo? It shows nothing available on booking . Com but looks like there is some availability in may in their website
Also, the website gronze . Com is a great resource for listing of lodging with contact information in all the towns along the camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
So embarrassed, yes I was using BDotCom, no I don’t mind dorms but it is lovely to do both dorms and privates to catch up on sleep. And yes, San Lorenzo had a couple of rooms left so thanks so much!! What other places bottleneck? I know the last 5 days but I may go off the rails in Ponferrada and O’Ceibrero. Any others?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
On my two trips through Najera, I’ve stayed each time at the Albergue Puerta de Najera. Once in the dorm and once in a private room. Both were excellent. Great location in the old part of the city. Although I had reservations both times, pilgrims arriving by early afternoon easily got beds.

Last edited:
As C_Clearly correctly noted, above, Booking.com does not have access to 100% of all rooms at a given property. Proprietors typically hold several rooms off the Booking.com service.

It always pays to contact the property directly. Gronze.es has perhaps the best listing of direct phone and fax numbers if Booking.com hides this direct contact information. Frequently the best approach is to make a phone call. If your Spanish is not up to it, ask someone else to call for you.

One "hack" I have used in the past is the have the proprietor ,where I just stayed, call the next property or properties for a couple of nights, to make my reservations over the phone for me. No one has ever refused such a request.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I stayed in Najera last night (Sunday, 14/4). It was at Hospederia Abadia Cistercience. It is affiliated with the local cathedral. I signed up for dinner and breakfast there and the nuns served the meals. It was very quiet and comfortable and dinner (fish or chicken) was very good (I had chicken). It is right next to the Camino and close to the square. I highly recommend it as I met several pilgrims at the community dinner. The one thing that you should be aware of is that dinner is not served until 8:45pm. Being from the US I am still adjusting to dinner time here in Spain. They had vacancies last night. Good luck!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Super nice place Najera. At least 12 Hostels and Pension style places in the location. Know your having issues with availability with booking.com but have you tried either checking the Hostel names listed for the town on a Camino App? They list all the hostel details including emails and contact details. It’s worth privately e mailing them in Spanish with the English version of the request beneath the Spanish. I’ve managed to make bookings sometimes this way when booking.com looks hopeless.

Hostal HIspano in Najera is showing availability for tonight on BDC. I have stayed there and found it very good. It is located in a good area 5 mins walk to left just before crossing the river.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So embarrassed, yes I was using BDotCom, no I don’t mind dorms but it is lovely to do both dorms and privates to catch up on sleep. And yes, San Lorenzo had a couple of rooms left so thanks so much!! What other places bottleneck? I know the last 5 days but I may go off the rails in Ponferrada and O’Ceibrero. Any others?
O'Cebreiro is normally tight. I walked past it to Liñares (another 3-4 km) or so where I stayed at the Linar do Rei while has a mix of private rooms with bathroom and some private rooms with a shared bathroom. The accommodation is modern and lovely. There is a kitchen with a microwave.

Lenares is small and has one and you need to pick up supplies for dinner etc before it closes.

I booked it on Booking.com

Hi @Purple Backpack,
I'm in Najera tonight and staying at Apartamentos Vino y Camino. Lovely apartment and host. It's in the same area as the albergue mentioned above. There's a small but well-stocked supermarket nearby. Details are on Gronze or BdCom. Hope this helps and buen camino.

Sent them an email but haven’t heard back. Any preference between this and Lorenzo?

Last Camino I mainly used email (or called the venue) and received prompt replies (to my mind) within 12 - 18 hours. If I didn’t hear back it always turned out that venue was closed.
I didn’t always book but when I did it was 1-2 days ahead.
I didn’t worry but then I know I can rough it for one night or take a cab to the nearest available bed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Are you serious? It's only 9am in Spain.
I'd also advise against emailing for immediate responses.
In this case, I'd advise email - tho things could have changed - but if it's the same family ownership, they will reply. Also, they had both individual rooms with two beds and on the top floor a much larger, very nice room with about 8 single BEDS.

Many of us use booking.com. However you need to understand that they have access to only a small number of the actual rooms.
I would like to emphasize this. On the Camino, booking can be handy, but it is by far not the best way to find accomodation. For many places, especially the better ones, there is no need for the expensive booking. There is also no need because everyone is passing any albergue or hostel anyway, most pilgrims use gronze, guides or apps. Besides, if an albergue decides to be in booking, the website is pushes away on Google completely.
Use gronze.com, or any guide or app as your basic guide.

I stayed in Najera last night (Sunday, 14/4). It was at Hospederia Abadia Cistercience. It is affiliated with the local cathedral. I signed up for dinner and breakfast there and the nuns served the meals. It was very quiet and comfortable and dinner (fish or chicken) was very good (I had chicken). It is right next to the Camino and close to the square. I highly recommend it as I met several pilgrims at the community dinner. The one thing that you should be aware of is that dinner is not served until 8:45pm. Being from the US I am still adjusting to dinner time here in Spain. They had vacancies last night. Good luck!
Thanks, this sounds great! I stayed at a few convents and loved them, kind of like a really quiet sorority house with really kind, wonderful women! Thanks for the suggestion!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Isn't Hospederia Cistercience in Santo Domingo de la Calzada?

I had a hard time finding a room in Najera many years ago. I’d guesstimate I arrived mid-afternoon along with another Camino lass. We were both exhausted and couldn’t walk anymore. We had to split up and each try to secure a room because everything was booked. I eventually found a room through meeting a fellow Camino on the street who told me there was 1 extra room in a pension he was staying at that wasn’t in any guidebooks - it was 6 long flights up and not very nice. I later learned the lass I walked into town with waited in front of a popular albergue for hours and was eventually given a room when someone who pre-booked did not show. If you are finding it difficult, maybe adjust your journey to stay in a town before or after (obvious, I know).

Buen Camino!

I had a hard time finding a room in Najera many years ago. I’d guesstimate I arrived mid-afternoon along with another Camino lass. We were both exhausted and couldn’t walk anymore. We had to split up and each try to secure a room because everything was booked. I eventually found a room through meeting a fellow Camino on the street who told me there was 1 extra room in a pension he was staying at that wasn’t in any guidebooks - it was 6 long flights up and not very nice. I later learned the lass I walked into town with waited in front of a popular albergue for hours and was eventually given a room when someone who pre-booked did not show. If you are finding it difficult, maybe adjust your journey to stay in a town before or after (obvious, I know).

Buen Camino!
It can be more difficult when one wants a room instead of just a bed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m one of two hospitaleros at the Najera public albergue €6/night starting May 1-16th. It’s got 50 beds and it’s just over the town stone bridge.

2 nights,ago I stayed at San Lorenzo hostal. I can't recommend it enough for a single, double or triple room in Najéra. Great hosts, good breakfast. High quality bed linen and towels. In the old town almost on the camino.

I absolutely hate to prebook accommodations as it kills the spontaneity of each day that we prefer.
That said we were reluctantly forced into doing so last September as the Camino was very busy on the Frances route and sleeping outside lacks appeal now that I am in my mid 60's.
This was the first year we ever prebooked any accommodation and based on what I am seeing now prebooking seems to largely be a necessity now.
I came to realize our seventh walk last fall will likely be our last one, certainly on the Frances route.
Maybe the current flood of people is still from pent up demand from the Covid years.
In any case, I have very fond recollections of our early Camino's without the crowds or prebooking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back