• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

NY Times Guest Essay: Travel, Fear, the Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2022 - Porto to Santiago, Littoral-Spiritual
NY Times Guest Essay: Travel, Covid, Fear, the Camino
Link to the full article

Excerpt:
A quarter century ago I was walking across Spain on the Camino de Santiago, the ancient pilgrim route. Two weeks into my 500-mile hike I was anxious, lonely and miserable. Each day was worse than the one before. I felt like a failure and a weakling...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Link to the full article

Excerpt:
A quarter century ago I was walking across Spain on the Camino de Santiago, the ancient pilgrim route. Two weeks into my 500-mile hike I was anxious, lonely and miserable. Each day was worse than the one before. I felt like a failure and a weakling...
This should be required reading for all pilgrims!

Link to the full article

Excerpt:
great article, very positive. I am always ready to go on another Camino, another adventure.

"The farther from home I got, the more at home in myself I grew."

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Beautiful essay. I remember when I was about 10 days in walking on the Camino and I realized that I too was missing something. As a woman(65 years old at the time), I realized that I was not walking with my companion Vigilance. I breathed truly wholly for the first time since I was a little girl. Such a gift.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Link to the full article

Excerpt:
A great article.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Andrew McCarthy doesn’t sleep in shared dorms. Merely an observation about who can afford to let go of fear because they can build a better moat.
We all have different boundaries about where we are safe and comfortable. I'm walking the Via de la Plata just now. I've spent a few nights sleeping outdoors in sub-zero temperatures and waking to find frost on my sleeping bag. I am now in an area famous for its wolf packs. That doesn't worry me but only because my earlier life has taken me into odd places. I'm more than ready to congratulate someone who steps a little beyond their comfort zone into the unfamiliar.

Link to the full article

Excerpt:
I do believe that qualifies for an...

AMEN!!!

Yes I do..

We all have different boundaries about where we are safe and comfortable. I'm walking the Via de la Plata just now. I've spent a few nights sleeping outdoors in sub-zero temperatures and waking to find frost on my sleeping bag. I am now in an area famous for its wolf packs. That doesn't worry me but only because my earlier life has taken me into odd places. I'm more than ready to congratulate someone who steps a little beyond their comfort zone into the unfamiliar.
Me too. I’m not afraid of much. I’ve survived some incredible things. And there are a lot of people who cannot believe that I do things like drive a motorbike, maintain a shack in the woods that doesn’t always have running water when I am there and requires a quarter mile snow-shoe in during winter… with the cat on a toboggan… that I go on long treks alone… that I’m not afraid in bear encounters on hiking trails…
But I don’t recommend these atttiudes or activities to anyone else.
I like MCCarthy (read his earlier Camino travelogu, grew up with his movies), and part of me applauded his essay, but part of me thought, “Read the room, buddy. Your readership does not have millions in the bank from a decade of blockbusters. At least acknowledge that your insouciance comes from your circumstances.”
Had he been writing about flying UEA to Dubai for a week-end of shopping and golf, my expectations would have been different.

Now... With all that out of the way: a practical question because I’m super impressed by your current walking conditions.

By the second week of April, starting out of Bilbao— if I can find my way there as planned, what would you recommend I have in case I need to sleep outside on the Norte??? I have a down quilt and a silk liner sac, and I can probably fill my bottles with hot water for radiant heat inside the sack, sleep in my layers, including down puffer…. But maybe I am underestimating what I need.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I read this, knowing its a Holy Year, and the rebound people will be having from isolation and travel deferments….Ithought that this article might lead many additional visitors to the Caminos in 2022😲😲😲. Make reservations!

Now... With all that out of the way: a practical question because I’m super impressed by your current walking conditions.

By the second week of April, starting out of Bilbao— if I can find my way there as planned, what would you recommend I have in case I need to sleep outside on the Norte??? I have a down quilt and a silk liner sac, and I can probably fill my bottles with hot water for radiant heat inside the sack, sleep in my layers, including down puffer…. But maybe I am underestimating what I need.
Realistically I don't think you'll find much in northern Spain in April that beats the conditions you describe at home. I've never walked the Norte so can't speak from personal experience. Better to have advice from someone who knows the route. As far as the VdlP is concerned the temperatures are no worse than I've encountered many times at home in Scotland, in Norway or Sweden or in Japan. Just check with websites like Weatherspark for the range of temperatures and precipitation to expect along the way and plan accordingly. I'm always cautious. My pack is quite a bit heavier than the "10% rule" would recommend but that rule wasn't devised by someone sleeping outdoors in -4C :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Realistically I don't think you'll find much in northern Spain in April that beats the conditions you describe at home. I've never walked the Norte so can't speak from personal experience. Better to have advice from someone who knows the route. As far as the VdlP is concerned the temperatures are no worse than I've encountered many times at home in Scotland, in Norway or Sweden or in Japan. Just check with websites like Weatherspark for the range of temperatures and precipitation to expect along the way and plan accordingly. I'm always cautious. My pack is quite a bit heavier than the "10% rule" would recommend but that rule wasn't devised by someone sleeping outdoors in -4C :)

Indeed! All points...
And the "10% rule" was developed about 20-25 years ago specifically to apply to children's book-bag weights getting out of hand for the soft bones of developing spines. Like you I have no idea how it moved over to adult back-packing. Surely as I age and the arthritis marches on I try to carry no more than 10% of what I typically weigh at the end of a camino, after I've generally lost an amount equal to my pack weight (I'd love to know the biomechanical/metaboic energy expenditure constant stuffing my face formula on that)....
But I'm constantly telling people not to take it too literally.

Do you carry a ground cover as well as sleeping bag? And recommendations?

I guess I"m hedging my bets against the possibility that I will encounter a 1-albergue town that is "completo" and with my lung issues, I'd perhaps *rather* sleep outdoors...

Buen camino @Bradypus! And thank you for getting the thread back on track with the kind attitude.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen camino @Bradypus! And thank you for getting the thread back on track with the kind attitude.
I agree. I enjoyed this well written article as I've enjoyed many of his writings. A thoughtful piece given the last two years and about much more than the Camino. But on that, he walked the path well before the vast majority of us on this forum. How different it must have been then in some ways, but perhaps not in the ways that matter. And I can only imagine how special it must be to walk again with his 19 year old son a quarter of a century later. I'd love to think I could walk a Camino 25 years after my first. Thank you to @ICBWB for posting the link.

Do you carry a ground cover as well as sleeping bag? And recommendations?
I use a bivvy bag and a short self-inflating sleeping mat. I made the mistake of bringing a fairly new purchase - a cheap hooped bag - which seems to collect condensation quite badly. My old breathable fabric bag would have been a better choice. I am indoors most nights but with some albergues and hostals closed it has been useful to be able to break up the longer conventional stages.

When people asked me why I was so hellbent on traveling and going on the camino during the pandemic -- just as the new variant is surging, no less -- I always had to struggle because I didn't know how to explain my answer. This article did such a brilliant job of articulating my rationale. Thank you for sharing!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I checked out his IG account after reading the article. It's a public account and you can see his pics from his walk with his son last summer. In spite of being a celebrity of sorts (prolly only to those of us who remember the Brat Pack lol) there are pics of him outside at tables under umbrellas with other pilgrims. I enjoyed reading his daily updates. He walked a lot of 40 km days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Link to the full article

Excerpt:
Thanks @ICBWB for sharing this article and starting an interesting discussion.

I felt sad when some elements of comparison/judgement crept into the ensuing comments, but it was good to see how this settled into a kinder tone. We are all pilgrims, with stuff that we need to shed or embrace on our journeys. Our little stories are different, but we're united by something deeper.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back