• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Renting horses to O Cebreiro

camster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2023
I have read here a few posts regarding renting a horse from a person named Victor.
I have many questions:
- Do you need to book in advance?
- Is there more than one departure every day and if not, what time do I need to be there in order to be on time
- Some people say you can ride with your pack, others no, can I?
- Where do you depart from and where do you get off your horse?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Your best bet is to contact Victor when you are 1-2 days out of Herreiros.
IIRC there is only 1 departure per day but I am not totally sure - someone else may jump in with this one
I specifically remember that in my Albergue (in Vega de Valcarce) the sign that was advertising horses ride specifically stated that you "better arrange the pack transfer". I'm going to venture a guess that perhaps a small daypack may be allowed but definitely not 20-30L + packs
Since I did not take the horsie ride but rather hoofed it up myself (pun intended!) I cannot anser the last one - again I am sure some other Esteemed Members can do that

I did talk to a lady whom I shared the next albergue with who did do it and she said it was quite interesting, very relaxing and that the horses know what they are doing

Good Luck & Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I haven't done it either but if you are an experienced rider then it will be fun. Apparently at the end of the ride Victor takes the tack off the horses and lets them find their own way home.

Lots of fun for walkers coming up as the riderless horses go down.

I have read here a few posts regarding renting a horse from a person named Victor.
I have many questions:
- Is there more than one departure every day and if not, what time do I need to be there in order to be on time
I contacted Victor a few days before and booked, he gives you the times.. I think there is only one a day. He walks beside the horses. We left 9ish, there is a cafe next door, where we got breakfast.
He lives in Las Herrerias. Small village you cant miss it.
A small daypack only, arrange pack transfer for your large pack.

I will add that walking is the easier option, we booked the horses as a treat for my grandson, I wouldn't ride again.

Your best bet is to contact Victor when you are 1-2 days out of Herreiros.
IIRC there is only 1 departure per day but I am not totally sure - someone else may jump in with this one
I specifically remember that in my Albergue (in Vega de Valcarce) the sign that was advertising horses ride specifically stated that you "better arrange the pack transfer". I'm going to venture a guess that perhaps a small daypack may be allowed but definitely not 20-30L + packs
Since I did not take the horsie ride but rather hoofed it up myself (pun intended!) I cannot anser the last one - again I am sure some other Esteemed Members can do that

I did talk to a lady whom I shared the next albergue with who did do it and she said it was quite interesting, very relaxing and that the horses know what they are doing

Good Luck & Buen Camino!
Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I contacted Victor a few days before and booked, he gives you the times.. I think there is only one a day. He walks beside the horses. We left 9ish, there is a cafe next door, where we got breakfast.
He lives in Las Herrerias. Small village you cant miss it.
A small daypack only, arrange pack transfer for your large pack.

I will add that walking is the easier option, we booked the horses as a treat for my grandson, I wouldn't ride again.
Very valuable informations. Thank you!
Were you a big group of pilgrims?

No, just 3, my husband and I and our grandson.
On previous Caminos I walked it - I'm not much of a horse rider.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My husband and I thought it was going to be grueling. We were 66 and 69 when we walked it, and we thought the climb wasn't bad at all. I recommend walking.

I took the morning ride up with three others in october 2021. I had booked a couple of days before. I was 73 and not an experienced rider although I had been up on a horse before. I had a pang as I swung my artificial hip over the saddle, but the whole experience was pleasant, painless and lots of fun. The horses know exactly what they are doing and Victor makes sure they stay in line! There are sometimes two trips up - kudos to Victor who walks up both times. The finale is a nice photo op and soup or lunch/snack in a homely eatery while you settle up with Victor. It was one of the highlights of the Camino for me.

I took the morning ride up with three others in october 2021. I had booked a couple of days before. I was 73 and not an experienced rider although I had been up on a horse before. I had a pang as I swung my artificial hip over the saddle, but the whole experience was pleasant, painless and lots of fun. The horses know exactly what they are doing and Victor makes sure they stay in line! There are sometimes two trips up - kudos to Victor who walks up both times. The finale is a nice photo op and soup or lunch/snack in a homely eatery while you settle up with Victor. It was one of the highlights of the Camino for me.
I love horses, so this is something I really hope I get to experience. Thank you for sharing your memory of it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In the FWIW I did O Cebreiro on May 24th...just a few weeks ago...we called the night before to inquire about horses and were told the horses were fully booked out for the next two weeks out....YMMV however....

I'm glad we did O Cebreiro on foot...something for this over 60 overweight guy to be proud of now. :-D

In the FWIW I did O Cebreiro on May 24th...just a few weeks ago...we called the night before to inquire about horses and were told the horses were fully booked out for the next two weeks out....YMMV however....

I'm glad we did O Cebreiro on foot...something for this over 60 overweight guy to be proud of now. :-D
Thank you for the information, I'll book earlier.

I have many questions:
@camster,
Hello there,
I stayed one night at Casa Lixa in Las Herrerias , and there was a fellow Canadian lady (from Etobicoke) who had arranged the horse ride to O Cebreiro with Victor, on the same day when we were staying in the same dorm (room) that night.
If I remember correctly it was 40 euros.
My story , next day walking on the Camino is a bit different,
I wanted to walk to O Cebreiro the same day and get back to Casa Lixa, by cab and the price of the cab was 20 Euros to come back and 20 Euros to go back to O Cebretro in the morning ,( my bed was paid at Casa Lixa , Las Herriars in advance)
I find the climb up to O Cebreiro was steep and was very difficult for me , but I climb it slowly with few short rests etc.. at 72 years Old.

I walked through that part of the woods in May 2022.

Half way I met and walk in the company of two pilgrims from Argentina (not much English) till Fonfria and then solo to Triacastela .
The view was absolutely astounding.
Next time , if I can make it back will be staying night in the pretty town of O Cebreiro.
If not the horse, then you also have the option of taking a cab up the hill to O Ceberiro , the owner of the albergue was offering me to drive both ways In his car.
Bye from Mississauga,
Buen Camino
keep well and enjoy your every moment on the Camino.
Cheers !

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have many questions:
I did this in 2018. Victor was great. We did send an email in advance to secure the the booking. You will be required to forward your pack on to OC

I rode the horses last year, but had booked ahead. Stayed in Las Herrias.
Having not been on a horse for 40 years, was a bit unsure about it, but it was so easy and the horses do know the way. One of my Camino friends had never been on a horse and she did it the day before. You do not need to be experienced.

Walked it this year and ran into Victor in La Faba. He said just 1 trip per day as he only has 4 horses. (pre-covid, he had 8) so perhaps that is when he used to do 2 x per day? Yes, please, send on your pack. Think of the horses! Cost for the ride is 50€ this year.

I am sure the medieval pilgrims rode too,, so it was a unique experience.
(my thighs hurt a lot, but it was worth it. )

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last year, arrived in Las Herrerias after following the Dragonte route so feeling very tired I asked in the albergue about the horses which are mentioned in Brierley. They phoned him and he came round and arranged everything. He organised my very light bag to go in a van to an albergue which he also arranged. Excellent service.

Some years ago I rode my horse from Canterbury to Santiago, and I can only say that the ride up to O Cebreiro was one of the most stunning and exhilarating parts of the whole pilgrimage (fortunately my horse appeared to think so too!) I hope you're able to do it, it's amazing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If I recall this is in La Faba - One of the best places we stopped for breakfast. Amazing positive vibes and super friendly. BEST breakfast we had on the Camino. (also great tunes were playing on the boombox by the door) ;-)View attachment 149274
This is one of my favorite albergues. It also allowed me to stay in La Faba and avoid the municipal in O Ceb.

While on my second Camino I inadvertently walked the route for cyclists. I enjoyed it far more than the route for those walking.

Again. Just my 2 cents.

Does Victor have a weight limit as the mules in the Grand Canyon. I am 220 in hiking trim. In the Canyon, max is 200 pounds max, so I walked

I love horses, so this is something I really hope I get to experience. Thank you for sharing your memory of it.
I had planned to walk to O Cebreiro, but the woman I was walking with has scoliosis and didn't think she'd be able to make it on foot, so I decided to ride up with her last minute. It was thoroughly enjoyable! It's a very slow, leisurely walk with the horses nose to tail. Victor held the horses tails as he walked alongside. It turned out we had something in common, too. He did a stint as an exchange student in the town where I went to college. So we had lots to talk about! Turned out to be a highlight of my Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have many questions:
I have many questions:
Here you go.
Victor Echeverria
v.vigaray@gmail.com
Las Herrerias to O Cebeiro
Departs at 0900
And maybe 1400

Good luck
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back