• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October CF bottoms for women - suggestions appreciated!

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
Hello Pilgrims! Looking at women's leggings for SJPDP to SDC starting Sept 22 to ? Nov 1. 2023.
I've not had good luck with merino wool next to my skin.

My plan is to wear leggings with cheap shorts over them (to save the sit-down parts from wearing through and for modesty).
What are your thoughts about REI silk bottoms? Or is something more durable needed? I know silk will get some runs & wont be pretty after heavy wear - but will they do the job?

I will carry my pack so weight matters a lot.
Please, if you can provide any specifics such as brand, material, etc it is much appreciated.

Or am I on the wrong track entirely - do I need to think about convertible pants? I'm concerned about getting cold late Oct. I could wait and pick up a heavier pair of pants in Spain in mid-OCT but I am short and need petite sizing or else I'm walking on the hem of the pants- not sure if I can find petites in Spain.

Suggestions?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Perhaps consider compression tights such as what athletes wear. I often wear ā€˜Skinsā€™ (that is the brand) under shorts. There are other brands.
I remember your earlier question about bras. I normally wear a sports bra and crop top however I have just bought a high intensity bra from LuLu Lemon Athletica and itā€™s great. Very supportive and can double as a bather top if I want to go swimming after a long day of walking.

Perhaps consider compression tights such as what athletes wear. I often wear ā€˜Skinsā€™ (that is the brand) under shorts. There are other brands.
I remember your earlier question about bras. I normally wear a sports bra and crop top however I have just bought a high intensity bra from LuLu Lemon Athletica and itā€™s great. Very supportive and can double as a bather top if I want to go swimming after a long day of walking.
Thanks for the suggestions!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Are "Skins" warm enopugh for Oct?

Yesterday on the Appalachian Trail I had a short conversation with a woman hiker and it turned into her mentioning thigh friction when hiking in a skirt. Unfortunately I didn't remember at the time that I've seen mentions on the forum that synthetic men's boxer briefs do the trick for some women walkers.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Pilgrims! Looking at women's leggings for SJPDP to SDC starting Sept 22 to ? Nov 1. 2023.

My plan is to wear leggings with cheap shorts over them (to save the sit-down parts from wearing through and for modesty).
What are your thoughts about REI silk bottoms? Or is something more durable needed? I know silk will get some runs & wont be pretty after heavy wear - but will they do the job?

Please, if you can provide any specifics such as brand, material, etc it is much appreciated.

Or am I on the wrong track entirely - do I need to think about convertible pants? I'm concerned about getting cold late Oct. I could wait and pick up a heavier pair of pants in Spain in mid-OCT but I am short and need petite sizing or else I'm walking on the hem of the pants- not sure if I can find petites in Spain.

Suggestions?
I ride horses and wear fleece lined riding tights even while hiking. They are really comfortable and warm. You might take a look at them.

Suggestions?
I walked the same time in 2014. I had two pairs of hiking pants (one zipped into three quarters) and one pair of three quarters. I don't remember being cold (even when it snowed) but I remember being wet. Very very wet. The last week into Santiago rained and rained and then rained harder. Quick dry clothing was important.

Attachments

• 20141109_151538.jpg
    20141109_151538.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32

Suggestions?
It does get cold in the early mornings in October but during the day itā€™s nice. You could wear hiking pants with the leggings underneath for the early mornings and then sheā€™d the pants as the day warms up.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
My end of Oct/Nov/Dec camino, bottom wise I had 2 pairs of normal standard average thickness activewear material black tights (nothing special), and a cheap pair of black thermal pants from Decathalon.
Layering is your friend, it was easy to spend an extra minute in the morning to slowly put the tights on over the top of the thermals in the morning and they were comfy to sleep in.
Seeing as you are starting in Sep, you could maybe just go with the plan that if the weather turns youā€™ll pop into a Decathalon and get a pair, and if it doesnā€™t turn you arenā€™t stuck carrying them the whole way.
Iā€™ve never had a problem with tights ā€˜wearing throughā€™ and personally not worried about modesty with tights, Ive seen more older men laying around in their underwear on the Camino that tights seem pretty modest in comparison too. šŸ¤£

(Edit : Tights refer to leggings here - I forget itā€™s not interchangeable in some countries)

I walked the CF late September to early November in zipoff pants from REI. I am also short and require petite sizes and not very many brands offer them. The weather was great. Started off quite warm but cooled nicely by early October. I was never cold in the pants as they are a nylon with a bit of water resistance. Most days, I zipped off to shorts (7 inch so not too short) by noon.
I don't wear leggings as I feel they show too much and I don't like tight legs. An extra layer over them doesn't make sense to me. I don't wear dresses as that would also require a long layer under to prevent thigh rub.

If you keep your core warm - head, hands, feet and torso -the rest of your body will be warm. Walking creates warmth. I never hiked in my fleece even in the coldest morning. Layers can be stripped off as needed.

Old Navy has a range of tights in varying weights, definitely some that will be warm for Oct. Usually have pockets on the legs, which are great for the phone. Inexpensive, light weight, and at the end you can ditch if you so choose without feeling guilty.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Suggestions?
Hello Marska, I walked CF last year in March. I wore Athleta stash leggings, they have pockets on both sides. In fact, I wore the same ones everyday and washed them when there was a washing machine. I also wear these leggings when I hike/ walk at home because they are comfortable for me. Just a suggestion, you should bring what your comfortable in hiking/walking in at home including tops, shoes, bottoms, rain gear and warm jacket if needed. Buen CaminošŸ„¾ Here is the American link to the leggings I wear, they may sell in other countries

Hello Marska,
I walked the CF in March. I wear ā€œAthleta stashā€ leggings to walk/ hike in because they are comfortable for me. They have pockets on both sides of legs. I actually wore the same leggings everyday and washed them when a washing machine was available with no problems. I still wear them today to hike in because I feel comfortable in them. My suggestion is to bring only your comfortable clothes you are used to walking/ hiking in. Here is the American website to the leggings.
Buen CaminošŸ„¾

I walked the same time in 2014. I had two pairs of hiking pants (one zipped into three quarters) and one pair of three quarters. I don't remember being cold (even when it snowed) but I remember being wet. Very very wet. The last week into Santiago rained and rained and then rained harder. Quick dry clothing was important.
Yikes about the rAIN! I am a little worried about rain but I dont have any control over how much it rains so best not to get too wound up. Do you remember the brand of pants? Did they require wearing a belt?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
I very recently started walking in compression leggings and I love them! Iā€™ve been a big fan of compression socks for years, I couldnā€™t have done my caminos without them. I bought a pair at Landsend and also Eddie Bauer, one thing, they are a bit heavier but I feel a few extra ounces is worth it in this case.

I wore leggings (Patagonia Pack Out) on my September to early October Camino and bought a pair of hiking pants in Leon because I was freezing to death in the early mornings and late afternoons. There were at least two mornings when I wore leggings and my new hiking pants until I warmed up a couple of hours into the day.

Suggested addition to your pack: lightweight merino glove liners - usually weigh 1 ounce/28 grams and perfect for cold mornings.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What do you have on hand? Is is something you could use instead of buying something new? That said, I do like pockets so I usually wear Duluth Trading Post Flexpedition pants for hiking and in the winter. They have good pockets and they dry fast. I had a pair the last time I went on a winter camino. They also make a Noga brand of tights and capris. Some of those have better pockets than others.

At night in the winter I usually wear merino tights so that may not help you. I have an Ibex Lizzi pair with good pockets on the side. They are pricey, but I wear them all the time at home so I don't mind taking a pair on the Camino. I have a wrap skirt (Rip skirt brand) that I can wear over them.

Fjalraven make excellent hiking tights/leggings with reinforced bottoms and knees. They make thicker ones for the cooler months.

Back in 2015 I walked the CF mid Sept till beginning of Nov. I had a simpel legging and a lightweight zipoff pants. Easy to layer for those extra cold days. I also carrier rain pants (to combine with raincoat) which I layered over my legging.

Suggestions?
I am wearing Athleta's Headlands Hybrid Cargo II Tights. I've worn them on two Caminos, and they really work for me. We are leaving SJPDP on Sept. 14th. I will wear a pair of these and bring a pair. I plan on wearing these with a short sleeve shirt. Our other two pilgrimages were in May/June. I never got too hot. These come in tall, regular, and petite.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Any experience with the REI silk pants?

REI Co-op Silk Bottoms - Women's​

I have a pair of REI silk long underwear that I wear under pants in chilly weather. They are extremely lightweight and would provide warmth under hiking pants but they are not designed to be worn on their own. A pair of leggings or tights would be more versatile.

Leggings / tights with Rip skirt . The skirt will be lighter than shorts, dries superfast. There is shorter style like short length with pockets, It is bathroom friendly, and more versatile for wearing in your non-hiking hours.

Attachments

• IMG_1617.jpeg
    IMG_1617.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1618.jpeg
    IMG_1618.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 27
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was In Galicia last October and just wore trekking zip pants/ shorts in the day. No need for leggings as you soon warm up. And the pants dry very quickly if it rains. I also preferred to wear them as shorts in the rain. Legs dry even more quickly.
But I did get a warmer pair of track pants to wear at night. That was it - trek pants for day a lightweight track pants ( from Decathlon) at night.

Do you happen to know the brand by any chance? or fabric content?
I like the Kerrits brand, and I get the ones with a side thigh pocket for my phone. When I have walked the camino, I took two pair of hiking pants: one fleece lined, and one thin and cool. I walked in the early spring (snow!) and also in the fall. So in the mornings I wore the fleece lined pair, and then I changed when/if the day grew warmer. I washed whichever pair was dirtiest in the evening. I also brought rain pants to wear over them to block the rain and/or wind. The first time I walked, I also brought a pair of silk long underwear for another layer, but I never used them except as pajamas, so I didn't bring them again. Buen Camino!

Yikes about the rAIN! I am a little worried about rain but I dont have any control over how much it rains so best not to get too wound up. Do you remember the brand of pants? Did they require wearing a belt?
They were berghaus. They held up really well. I did need a belt, particularly as I lost weight through the weeks šŸ„³. I just had one small light belt that I switched onto the pair I was wearing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wearing light merino/poly base layer as leggings to walk right now. Have alternate thicker pair that I wear at night. I brought a simple stretchy skirt for evenings, laundry and to wear over tights as needed.

Try Patagonia capilene. There is a midweight, thermal weight, and "air" (combo capilene & wool, for cold). I use the midweight under a wool skirt unless it's really cold out (freezing).

So many great suggestions! I've had some important family obligations to attend to so I havent been checking back daily- but your comments are really appreciated. I need to return a few things to REI so while I'm at the store I will try on whatever items are in stock that were mentioned here.

I do love capilene and silk against my skin.
Kerrits (new to me),
Berghaus (also new to me)
Fjalraven
Athleta
Skins

When through-hiking in the Rocky Mountains I wore running tights with shorts over or when it was cold, wool pants with silk underneath. I think I also had a pair of nylon wind pants.

I can see how a skirt would be lighter than shorts.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
I can see how a skirt would be lighter than shorts
My hiking skirts all have built in shorts attached, so mine are not lighter. They are just above the knee andI would feel uncomfortable in certain situations if they did not have the attached shorts.
I only wear them in warm weather.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.