• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oh no, I think I trained too hard!

Asel

Camino April 16/2016
Time of past OR future Camino
April 16, 2016
I am flying to Barcelona on April 13th and was going to Logrono to start my Camino but 2 days ago I got a nagging pain in my right calf - the same one that bothered me when I trained for a 10 Km run a number of years ago. My plan is to see the physiotherapist and rest it until my flight. I don't want this to derail all the plans I've been making in the last few months :-(. Did anyone else have any physical problems before you left and what did you end up doing?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well, I'm leaving next week and my knee is acting up. I'm resting, icing, taking anti-inflammatories. Good luck Asel, hope your calf improves.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I get calf pain - for me, it's just tight muscles. So I do some (or all) of the following: stretch, use a foam roller to work out the muscle, go get a massage, take ibuprofen to help with pain and inflammation, use ice or heat therapy, continue to walk but avoid difficult terrain, make sure I drink a lot of water.

I get calf pain - for me, it's just tight muscles. So I do some (or all) of the following: stretch, use a foam roller to work out the muscle, go get a massage, take ibuprofen to help with pain and inflammation, use ice or heat therapy, continue to walk but avoid difficult terrain, make sure I drink a lot of water.
Thank you for the encouragement - I will do all of these things in the next few days so I can be ready :) Thank you so much!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked with torn connectors to my Achilles tendon. MBT boots and ice every few hours was my doctor's prescription. I walked. Tolerance for discomfort is a necessity on the Camino! :)
Ooh that sounds painful and yes I had a feeling that there would be pain. Maybe I can get it out of the way prior to my pilgrimage :).

Let's hope these will do the trick!
Being that you are my neighbor to the north you already have elevation condition with your running background I think you will slide thru this with a smile. I woke up every day with some pain if not my feet my joints. You will learn to slowly walk it out. So have fun!
Keith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Did anyone else have any physical problems before you left and what did you end up doing?

LOL. Yes. I just went anyway..........

Get good medical advice. Take it easy.........look after yourself. And don't worry.....

I started last year with Achilles Tendonitis in both feet. (too much road walking during training) And a strained back...

Both are still with me. And we leave again for the Camino in a few weeks. I'm not going to worry about it. Last year I learned how to cope, so I know what to do this year to keep myself moving. Will it be uncomfortable? Yes. But I have learnt how to minimise the pain, warning signs to look out for, the importance of doing the right thing (breaks, hydration etc).

You know, I was actually glad that I started my Camino last year with an injury. I think 'someone' knew that I would approach it like a Bull at A Gate, and that I needed to be slowed down a bit!

Well it certainly worked. My expectations reduced, to the extent that my goal each day, was just to 'make it' through another day. And every day I gave thanks that I had been able to do so. And day by day, the kilometres fell away............and I got there.

You'll be fine. Just get some professional advice on the best way to deal with the 'injury'. Stretching, taping, what ever it takes.

My wife and I were at the Physio last week, and will have another check before we leave. She is walking with Plantar Faciitis ...poor girl. But I am as prepared as I can be I think to help her make the journey in a physical sense. Medication advice from Doctor. Stretching advise and orthotics from Physio.

I even got the Physio to show me how to tape her feet if required. Sure it won't be a professional job, but it will help if required, and there is no Physio around.

He was surprised when I said I learnt how to tape my own Achilles problem. (Taught by a great Physio in Ponferrada).

I explained to him that when you are 'stopped' half way up a mountain and 4 hours walk from the next town, or maybe 3-4 days from the next town that 'might' have a Physio, who else is going to do it for you? It was always 'good enough' to keep me going till the next 'professional' taping I could find. Though it did raise a few smiles one day when I taped my shins with duct tape :D But it worked!

Oh. and a couple of other little gadgets that I'll be taking this year.......... for my wife.

A dog training toy! Think of a Knobbly rubber rolling pin. And it only weighs about 50 gms! Perfect for rolling under the foot as a massage at breaks to help with Plantar Faciitis.....

And.........The 'kitchen sink'.....
From Sea to Summit. a 10 litre kitchen sink that weighs 49 grams! Perfect for an icy foot bath to reduce inflammation. :)

I used ice a lot on my heels, but this will be even better I think.... Fill from a stream, cold bottled water at a cafe., from a Font.........whatever....

So back to your question!

Yes I walked injured. And I learnt to cope, as you will ;)

Buen Camino.;)

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Robo,
You offer such wonderful, practical advice! Proof that on the camino as in life while tenacity and trust are so necessary most importantly
"all we need is love!"

May both you and your wife share a very special camino!

Margaret Meredith

I
LOL. Yes. I just went anyway..........

Get good medical advice. Take it easy.........look after yourself. And don't worry.....

I started last year with Achilles Tendonitis in both feet. (too much road walking during training) And a strained back...

Both are still with me. And we leave again for the Camino in a few weeks. I'm not going to worry about it. Last year I learned how to cope, so I know what to do this year to keep myself moving. Will it be uncomfortable? Yes. But I have learnt how to minimise the pain, warning signs to look out for, the importance of doing the right thing (breaks, hydration etc).

You know, I was actually glad that I started my Camino last year with an injury. I think 'someone' knew that I would approach it like a Bull at A Gate, and that I needed to be slowed down a bit!

Well it certainly worked. My expectations reduced, to the extent that my goal each day, was just to 'make it' through another day. And every day I gave thanks that I had been able to do so. And day by day, the kilometres fell away............and I got there.

You'll be fine. Just get some professional advice on the best way to deal with the 'injury'. Stretching, taping, what ever it takes.

My wife and I were at the Physio last week, and will have another check before we leave. She is walking with Plantar Faciitis ...poor girl. But I am as prepared as I can be I think to help her make the journey in a physical sense. Medication advice from Doctor. Stretching advise and orthotics from Physio.

I even got the Physio to show me how to tape her feet if required. Sure it won't be a professional job, but it will help if required, and there is no Physio around.

He was surprised when I said I learnt how to tape my own Achilles problem. (Taught by a great Physio in Ponferrada).

I explained to him that when you are 'stopped' half way up a mountain and 4 hours walk from the next town, or maybe 3-4 days from the next town that 'might' have a Physio, who else is going to do it for you? It was always 'good enough' to keep me going till the next 'professional' taping I could find. Though it did raise a few smiles one day when I taped my shins with duct tape :D But it worked!

Oh. and a couple of other little gadgets that I'll be taking this year.......... for my wife.

A dog training toy! Think of a Knobbly rubber rolling pin. And it only weighs about 50 gms! Perfect for rolling under the foot as a massage at breaks to help with Plantar Faciitis.....

And.........The 'kitchen sink'.....
From Sea to Summit. a 10 litre kitchen sink that weighs 49 grams! Perfect for an icy foot bath to reduce inflammation. :)

I used ice a lot on my heels, but this will be even better I think.... Fill from a stream, cold bottled water at a cafe., from a Font.........whatever....

So back to your question!

Yes I walked injured. And I learnt to cope, as you will ;)

Buen Camino.;)

I have an appointment with the physio on Tuesday and I'm hoping for the best! Thanks for your encouragement, it's great to hear from people that have been there and yet persisted. I hope I have your courage. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I

I have an appointment with the physio on Tuesday and I'm hoping for the best! Thanks for your encouragement, it's great to hear from people that have been there and yet persisted. I hope I have your courage. Buen Camino

The Camino somehow seems to help you find the courage and all sorts of other things you never knew you had ;)

Buen Camino.....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Also, don't hesitate to send your pack forward if needed. Especially at the beginning.

I leave tomorrow and had a cortisone injection in my knee for a niggling ITB on Thursday, my husband calls it my 'performance enhancing drug"!

...I learnt how to tape my own Achilles problem. (Taught by a great Physio in Ponferrada)...
Once again some interesting pointers @Robo , especially this comment which had me searching YouTube for the appropriate examples (what did we do before YouTube - & the www:eek:).
Thank you @Robo
Suzanne :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Once again some interesting pointers @Robo , especially this comment which had me searching YouTube for the appropriate examples (what did we do before YouTube - & the www:eek:).
Thank you @Robo
Suzanne :)

I learnt the basic technique for taping shin splints off YouTube. It worked really well ;)

I have a physio appointment set up and I will try to get in to see the chiropractor just for good measure. Thanks everyone!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.