• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Constitution Day 2022. This is Somo beach just across from Santander on the Norte just before you get to the ferry. Everyone was enjoying the public holiday and the excellent weather for December.

Most of the Norte has excellent surfing beaches

Attachments

• IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 22
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Portugues
Viana do Castelo
rua Rua Manuel Espregueira, 24

December 16, 2014

Viana do Castelo, OLarenjeiro.jpg

Mid December 2014 my husband and I stayed at OLarenjeiro, a charming, then newly furnished, small pension with a very good dining room; all meals were creative, delicious and a great value.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Constitution Day 2022. This is Somo beach just across from Santander on the Norte just before you get to the ferry. Everyone was enjoying the public holiday and the excellent weather for December.

Most of the Norte has excellent surfing beaches
Corned Beef,
Thank you so much for posting this photo of Somo. The figures and their surf boards are great dabs of contemporary color. You might find it fun to compare your photo to one of Joaquin Sorolla's famous painted beach scenes of San Sabastian c.1919

The locations; dates and media may be different but the lure of seaside pleasure is eternal.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
16th, July, 2022. Salas, Asturias, Camino Primitivo.
288EBE78-B2A9-4311-83ED-17C75550463F.jpeg
Some brief research reveals the following.
Queen Urraca granted a castle here in 1120 but the town wasn’t founded for another 150 years. Salas then became a major stopping place on the Camino. The Valdés-Salas Palace was the birthplace of Fernando de Valdés y Salas in1483 and he died in Madrid in 1568. He was a Spanish churchman and jurist, professor of canon law at the University of Salamanca and later its chancellor, an Inquisitor General and the Archbishop of Seville.
The University of Oviedo was founded under the terms and conditions of Archbishop Fernando de Valdés-Salas’s Will and funded by his estate. It first opened for the teaching of classes on September 21, 1608.
Across the plaza from the palace ( which is now a hotel) is the 16thC Santa Maria La Mayor Collegiate Church, which is generally acknowledged as a masterpiece of Asturian Renaissance architecture.
6BA707F0-9C61-48B5-BC39-3B57408257F5.jpeg
We were very fortunate to be passing it, as a couple who were probably staying in the Hotel Rural Castillo de Valdés-Salas were about to be given a personal tour, we were allowed to enter the Church and have a look around ourselves!

Camino Portugues
Viana do Castelo
hospital ship Gil Eannes

photo taken December 17, 2014

ship Gil Eannes.jpg

This Portuguese fishermen's hospital ship,
the Gil Eannes, usually sailed the North Atlantic cod route to Newfoundland. Now restored and moored the ship's name and history span centuries.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
View attachment 138199
We were very fortunate to be passing it, as a couple who were probably staying in the Hotel Rural Castillo de Valdés-Salas were about to be given a personal tour, we were allowed to enter the Church and have a look around ourselves!

Camino Primitivo, July 28, 2013. View from the Torre de la Villa de Salas. @Anne&Pat , it looks like the Santa Maria La Mayor Collegiate Church has had a restoration / clean-up since I was there nine years ago!

DSC07707.JPG.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Patiently waiting to book in at San Martín Pinario. November 2022. Soaking wet from a Galician downpour which finished just as I got to SdC. Weather was fine after that for the next week or so.

Attachments

• IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 15
route to Finisterre/ Muxia
Negreira
dawn

photo taken March 30, 2007

Negreira, dawn.jpg

"... Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning"
This rosy dawn was not a sign of good weather to come; indeed it rained heavily all day as I splashed onward towards the sea.

19th, July, 2022. Two photos today one minute apart, looking in different directions, courtesy of a young couple walking that morning. We also took their photo.
Samblismo to Berducedo this day via the Hospitales route, which was an amazing experience.
F2A5F976-FB61-48AC-B166-2D9EEEBB97E4.jpeg9783AD4C-A2BD-4E36-B48D-D3011B7C6377.jpeg
The day started with quite a noticeable smoky atmosphere due to the wind direction. This stayed with us for the first few hours of walking. The fires were not near us , probably further to the west and south. Other than the smoke at the start, it was a perfect day for walking the Hospitales route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino Frances
Alto de San Roque

early winter 2012

Alto de San Roque.jpg

After passing this pilgrim sculpture in the snow I sought the nearest bar for a hot second breakfast and a long siesta in a warm corner.

Moderator note: This is the one millionth post since the beginning of the forum in 2004! Congratulations @mspath, and thank you for all of your contributions to the forum over the years! 🎉🍾🥂

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Camino Frances
Alto de San Roque
early winter 2012
After passing this pilgrim sculpture in the snow I sought the nearest bar for a hot second breakfast and a long siesta in a warm corner.
And a beautiful winter camino image for post #1,000,000 on the forum. Wonderful that it was your post and on this special thread. Congratulations @mspath !!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Amazing image @mspath. I can't imagine how that felt though! Edit; And how incredibly appropriate that it's the winner. 🙏

Here's another wintry image, from the canal before Fromista. It was sleeting, and coming into a bar after that was like The Ice Woman cometh.
IMG_1515.JPG

Last edited:
Camino Frances
Alto de San Roque

early winter 2012

View attachment 138351

Moderator note: This is the one millionth post since the beginning of the forum in 2004! Congratulations @mspath, and thank you for all of your contributions to the forum over the years! 🎉🍾🥂
Congratulations and thank you for all your beautiful images and advice over the years and with such a spectacular photo.

Still on the 19th, July, 2022!
E81A7171-DB50-4E84-B618-8D2BF4948AD6.jpeg
The descent from the Hospitales route is a bit hair raising. We took the track rather than the road. The first 500m or so are, in my opinion(Anne), the most treacherous of any Camino we have walked. Steep with large loose rocks underfoot, we took it very slowly. Luckily the way improved after that section. We actually don’t have a photo of the bad bit of path, we were to busy concentrating on each step! We continued to see wonderful views all the way down to Berducedo, Camino Primitivo.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Frances
O Cebreiro

early winter 2012

O Cebreiro snow .jpg

During several cold stormy hours a sturdy German fellow climbed up with me to
O Cebreiro through a whiteout. Upon arrival the snow was 1 m. deep!
...Joyous and greatly relieved I took this photo thankful that we both had been well prepared to endure the winter weather!

Still on the 19th, July, 2022!

The descent from the Hospitales route is a bit hair raising. We took the track rather than the road. The first 500m or so are, in my opinion(Anne), the most treacherous of any Camino we have walked. Steep with large loose rocks underfoot, we took it very slowly. Luckily the way improved after that section. We actually don’t have a photo of the bad bit of path, we were to busy concentrating on each step! We continued to see wonderful views all the way down to Berducedo, Camino Primitivo.
Beautiful photo! This descent is the only place I've fallen on a camino!

20th, July, 2022. Berducedo to Grandas de Salime, Camino Primitivo.
65C8D535-F994-4970-9EAE-151EA924F088.jpeg
The day before we had had an amazing experience walking the Hospitales route but the subsequent day was probably one of our favourite walks on this Camino. We were blessed with great weather and good company along the way. The scenery was breathtaking. We were fortunate to walk up the first steep hill with two other pilgrims who helped to keep our minds off the 2.2km paved road climb. Then we were on to a gravel footpath for the gradual descent to the Embalse de Salime. This descent was long and the views were extrordinary. After stopping for a very welcome rest and lunch at Hotel Las Grande, we walked up the long hill on the highway 3.5kms , then through a wooded area to Grandas de Salime, on a very warm afternoon.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Caniçada, Gerês, Portugal
Pousada Sao Bento
almoço de Natal/ Christmas Day lunch 2011

Pousada Sao Bento, Caniçada, .jpg

During past years when my husband and I traveled in Portugal at Christmas the assortment of desserts was splendid. I especially enjoyed the Bolo Rei /King's cake made with sweet dough, lemon zest, crystallized fruit and a bit of Port wine.

Last edited:
A Very Happy Christmas to everyone! It’s now Boxing Day here in Australia.

21st, July, 2022. Grandas de Salime to A Fonsagrada. Another good and interesting walk. As we seemingly got nearer to our day’s destination we weren’t really sure where we were going to end up! The only visible town in the distance was to our left and up a big hill! We actually said at the time, surely we’re not going over there!
8A1CCEA5-B7F0-4694-B322-C51039BA066E.jpeg12.51pm
But, yes, we were after a long round about approach!
8EE463B1-51CD-4D10-8765-BDC3AA0696F9.jpeg14.34pm
There it was up the steepest hill we had ever climbed into a camino end of stage town, A Fonsagrada!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Caniçada, Gerês, Portugal
Pousada Sao Bento

winter 2011

near Sao Bento.jpg

After enjoying all the delicious Christmas treats it was a necessary relief to walk on one of the many hiking trails adjacent to the Pousada/nearby the Peneda-Gerês national park.

On Christmas I'm gifting you a gift giving. Burgos Cathedral.
View attachment 138557

I love this Cathedral. It’s quiet has calmed my spirit every time I visited.

Mom and I toured it in August 2001.

February 2014, I toured Cathedral with three other pilgrims: two young Dutch girls, and a young woman from Germany.

Thanks for gift.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tomatoes in a shop window, Monforte de Lemos. Alas, it was closed for siesta. I would have bought that little bright red perfectly ripe one in the upper right box for my lunch. June 15, 2019. Camino Invierno.

View attachment 138606
At first quick glance with the thumbnail they look like 🍎 apples 🍏! ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
near the Camino Frances
Vilar de Donas
Iglesia de San Salvador

photo taken November 13, 2004

Iglesia de San Salvador 13.11.2004.jpg

After a personal review of past photos
this is one favorite 2004 photo from my 1st CF.

Almost hidden in the countryside east of Palas de Rei near Portos on the CF the 12th c. Iglesia de San Salvador de Vilar de Donas was for centuries the official burial place of the Chevaliers de Santiago.
... Hopefully this still is a special site of eternal peace .

Last edited:
Not sure if I have posted this picture before or the story of Pepé and Pauli in Villaconejos de Trabaque. Briefly, there is a donativo just outside the village. If you stay there, you will be waylaid by Pauli or Pepé or both and treated to a guided tour of Pepé's bodega - a tunnel hacked into the surrounding limestone hill and just ideal for fermenting wine as it stays at a constant temperature. You will be treated to wine fermented two metres from where you are standing and probably an impromptu barbecue into the bargain with a long story of the history and traditions of local winemaking. Do not even contemplate an early start next morning unless you are made of very stern stuff. This hobbit like entrance is one of the bodegas. 22 May 2022.

P1030227.JPG

€149,-
route to Finisterre/ Muxia
Praia de Estorde

photo taken April 2, 2006

Praia de Escorde 02.04.2006..jpg

This is one favorite 2006 photo from my 2nd camino. While holding my boots and crossing the beach barefoot like a child I delighted in the tickle of sand between my toes.

Estorde is the first beach on the camino path linking Corcubion/San Roque to Finisterre. Mid view is Finisterre; Cape Finisterre is on the far left.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
24th, July, 2022. Rest day in Lugo. First though we changed accommodation because of the noise in the Hotel during the night, goodness knows what was going on! But no sleep!!
We had a great walk around the wall. Visited the University museum A Domus do Mitreo, which is excellent. Then visited the Cathedral. Another very hot day. So had a rest in the afternoon! ;)
9FBCDCF1-1A40-49EB-BFA5-9AA910003E9B.jpeg

Santiago de Compostela
Cathedral

photo taken March 4, 2008

Santiago de Compostela.jpg

This is one favorite 2008 photo from my 4th camino. As always I attended the Pilgrim mass which was an austere Lenten service without any choir but with simple singing by a single nun.
As the priest said that morning "for centuries and centuries pilgrims have been coming and shall continue to come." ...May it be so forevermore.

Near Pontevedra
Captain Nemo and divers at dusk, July 2007

I never knew Pontevedra was on the Spiritual Variant. I am very happy to learn that. I've never walked that way, but Galician pilgrim friends from the Camino Frances shared their beautiful home there for an evening post-Santiago. In addition to incredible graciousness and hospitality, I'll always remember and cherish this unique statue on the beach which honors Jules Verne's Captain Nemo.

CaptainNemo.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Camino Frances
west of Los Arcos

photo taken 0ctober 8, 2004

west of Los Arcos 2004.jpg

During my first camino when alone on a seemingly endless path beneath the vast dome of a cobalt sky I sensed that this was, indeed, my way and all would be good.
...Today on the first day of 2023 I yearn to sense that this new year will also be good....May it be so.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back