• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Frances
Villalcazar de Sirga
Iglesia de Santa María la Blanca

photo taken November 6, 2011

Villalcazar de Sirga, Iglesia, interior.jpg

Sacred, eternal beauty endures within the austere 12-14th c. fortress-church, Santa María la Blanca, originally built by/for the Knights Templar and later a royal Marian sanctuary .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances
Zubiri
calle Puente de la Rabia, 4

photo taken January 26, 2009

snowy Zubiri.jpg

This snow covered view of the medieval bridge was taken from a window within the warm and cozy Pension Usoa, the only accommodation open that January afternoon.

Last edited:
27th, July, 2022. Melide to Arzua, Camino Primitivo/Frances. Second time walking from Melide this summer but this time we joined up with a close friend from Australia who had walked from Somport and we had planned to walk to Santiago from Melide together. It was great to see him and walk with him.
We stopped at the Iglesia de Santiago de Boente on our way, as we had done in Mid June this year.
84F8E37A-E5AB-4789-BE37-5C516375B509.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
May 28, 2022 - Camino Invierno.
This was taken en route up the hill to Monte Faro, between Chantada and Rodeiro. The stone stairs on the left lead steeply up a grassy hill directly to the Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Faro. The Camino follows the road a little further and then takes you sharply to the right, missing the Ermita and the Mirador, both worth a visit on a clear day.

Attachments

• 20220528_104131.jpg
    20220528_104131.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 18
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Argones
Muruzábal
Iglesia de Santa María de Eunate

photo taken October 14, 2010

Eunate  2010..jpg

West from Enériz a curved branch framed this pastoral view of Eunate, where pilgrims have worshiped for 1,000 years. For me, as for those multitudes, Eunate always seemed close to paradise on earth....May peace be eternal in this timeless sacred place.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Camino Frances
Puente La Reina - Gares
Convento del Crucifijio

photo taken February 11, 2007

Puente La Reina, doors.jpg

This open door of the Convento del Crucifijio frames the view of the closed door of the Iglesia del Crucifijo across the Calle del Crucifijio.
The Calle del Crucifijo is named for the church which is in turn named for a famous crucifix displayed inside. A private school, the Colegio de los Padres Reparadores, presently occupies the Convento

29th, July, 2022. Santiago Cathedral. We were very fortunate again to see the Botafumeiro swing after Mass the evening we finished the Primitivo. Our friend from Australia, with whom we had rendezvous in Melide and walked into Santiago, is a Priest. He concelebrated Mass that evening, did the English speaking role during the Eucharist and was the first to put some incense into the Botafumeiro. It was wonderful to see him participating at Mass.
F3E36FB0-F50A-43FC-97C9-562AB722A609.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Frances
Saint Jean Pied de Port
Porte de Saint Jacques

photo taken October 14, 2015

Saint Jean Pied de Port, Porte de Saint Jacques.jpg

This view was taken as a new day was dawning in the eastern sky beyond the medieval Porte; soon a new camino would begin as I turned away from the Porte to walk west.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances
Trinidad de Arre

photo taken January 11, 2010

Frozen path Trinidad de Arre.jpg

Crossing this bridge would be slick and slippery. Arriving here had been difficult; since the CF path from Zubiri was covered with ice and snow I had mainly walked on the verges of route N-135.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Frances
Saint Jean Pied de Port
55 rue de La Citadelle

photo taken January 16, 2008

Saint Jean Pied de Port, 2008.jpg

Opening this albergue red door began a new adventure, my 4th CF and 2nd in winter. Two men met on the train and I were the only pilgrims. Madame Jeannine the tireless hospitalera kindly made us supper.
...Shared serendipity prevailed.

On the left hand side of the path leaving Zubiri, a friendly face looking at passing pilgrims, just after the Magnasitas plant. May, 2022.
View attachment 139692
Friendly? Haha, only in the wonderful world of Disney. Looking for a quick snack, more likely. 🙃

Another face. Also not universally friendly! From the Inviero after A Rua 2019.
20190607_095147 (2).jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Valcarlos alternate
Ibaneta pass

January 18, 2008

Ibaneta pass.jpg

In sleet/light snow walking route N135 verges I had slowly climbed the many switchbacks up to the 1057m. Ibaneta Pass; the Valcarlos alternate through the wood had become too slick to follow.

€60,-
Camino Frances
Burguete

January 19, 2008

Burguete.jpg

Having left Roncesvalles predawn in starlight via route N135 in this mid morning light a French pilgrim and I would take a hidden right turn to rejoin the more pastoral CF path;
it would be an exhausting day 22k. on frozen mud is not a walk in the park!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

€83,-
Camino Frances
Trinidad de Arre
Marist monastery albergur

photo taken January 20, 2008

albergue, Trinidad de Arre.jpg

This repurposed barn provided pilgrim facilities at the Marist monastery which had been a refuge throughout the ages; although heatless (!!), multi blankets were available in the dorm for tucking above/below our sleeping bags.

Camino Frances
Trinidad de Arre
Marist monastery albergur

photo taken January 20, 2008

View attachment 139898

This repurposed barn provided pilgrim facilities at the Marist monastery which had been a refuge throughout the ages; although heatless (!!), multi blankets were available in the dorm for tucking above/below our sleeping bags.

I stayed there in 2002.

Very nice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Frances
Cizur Menor
Roncal albergue

January 21, 2008

albergue, Cizor Menor.jpg

After walking slowly to/through Pamplona it was an easy stroll to this private Roncal albergue in Cizur Menor. The only other pilgrims were a young Spanish couple; we ate together at the nearby Asador El Tremendo where the blazing fireplace and copious delicious, inexpensive menu were great!

back roads towards Eunate
near Campanas

photo taken January 22, 2008

near Campanas.jpg

These 2 pilgrims and I were on a back road "walk around" to avoid climbing up/down the Alto de Perdon yet eventually arrive at Eunate.

To Campanas we had followed route NA 6000 southeast from Cizur Menor. After a welcome lunch near the haystack we continued on NA121 and NA601 to Enériz where the calle San Juan led west to Santa María de Eunate.

Camino Argonese
last view of Eunate

January 23, 2008

last view of Eunate.jpg

Slowly walking west along the camino path I turned back for one last look at Eunate and silently offered thanks for having been once again in this special place of eternal peace.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
Hello, I have reserved a night in an Albergue and the confirmation says Fecha de entrada: 2024-06-05. In the UK we would write this as 05-06-2024, is that what this means, 5th June 2024, I am...
Money stolen from bag on bed while sleeping. Estelle municipal hostel. Not a big inconvenience as my passport and credit cards were left.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back