• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cuban rice/Arroz Cubano

photo taken October 31, 2015

Arroz Cubano.jpg

Cuban rice/Arroz Cubano is my favorite inexpensive Spanish cooked dish; almost any bar can prepare it.

Hot rice is served with tomato sauce and a fried egg. Sometimes a plantain/banana is fried with the other ingredients and/or meat added to the tomato sauce.

The "receipe" for this simple dish may have come to Spain with the Flota de Indias,16th c.+ Spanish trading ships, returning from the Carribe.

....¡Buen provecho!

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yesterday two years ago, on the Invierno.
Crossing the Rio Sil after Quiroga felt like taking leave of a friend - the camino had been following it for three days, and today the path left the valley to climb towards Monforte, and the Rio Miño beyond.
20190608_082020 - Copy.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Granon
parish albergue
door knocker

photo taken October 28, 2010

Granon albergue door knocker.jpg

During the past I have stayed in the parish albergue San Juan Bautista in Granon on the CF 10 times.

Upon arrival seeing this door knocker adorned with shell, staff and gourd was always a thrill.

After entry reading the interior sign stating "welcome pilgrim make this your home" was another.

Indeed, I always felt at home; hospitaleros were helpful and communal meals delicious. This was authentic caritas.

...Long may it continue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Toulouse
Basilique Saint-Sernin

photo taken January 6, 2012

Toulouse.jpg

This view of the Basilique Saint-Sernin
in Toulouse on the Camino d'Arles
was taken from the rue Saint-Bernard looking west towards the chevet, the exterior area behind the main altar.

Nearby cafes serve set meals at a reasonable price. I always enjoyed Le Cafe Saint Sernin at 2 Rue Saint- Bernard; it's a happy spot where many art students lunch.

Friday, 14th August, 2013. Vila do Conde to Rates. This day's expenses for two were as follows:
coffee €2.20. fruit 1.26. mercado €3.00 carne €1.37. pan €1.18. albergue €10. beer €1.88. I circled the total as €20.89. check if you wish! We obviously were planning to cook in the albergue...
P4090090.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Vila Nova de Gaia
Graham's Port Lodge

photo taken January 2012

Vila Nova de Gaia .jpg

O Porto is on the Camino Portugués. Across the Minho river at Vila Nova de Gaia are many winehouses which produce Port wine.

For various reasons I've always enjoyed Graham's Port; they do a great tour.

Happy sipping and Bom caminho!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pics of food are not my thing, but sometimes...
Today two courses of the most amazing food I was offered at Meson Lucas in Chantada, when I told them I was lacto-ovo vegetarian and please make whatever was easy. The MOST amazing salad without a molecule of iceberg lettuce in sight, with walnuts, goat cheese and balsamic dressing; then an omelette francesca with.......
pimentos de padron!
Simple and perfect.
I didn't capture the desert. But it was delicious, too, a very rich flan.
20190611_205050.jpg20190611_212815.jpg

After I finished my Francés in 2018, there came a ten-hour train journey to San Sebastián to meet friends for a stag weekend. Talk about a change of pace, in every sense!

But after I recovered from that, I decided to restore my Camino mindset with a stretch of the Norte from Bilbao to Santander.

The first Northern treat was this - the incredible sight of the Guggenheim Museum.
M5ufXlcQ.jpeg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some details from a wall in St. Jean Pied de Port, the first of many Camino acknowledgements I was to eventually encounter and appreciate over the next 32 days. Now I have a tile wall decoration from Santiago hanging in my kitchen! I can appreciate it every day!

IMG_20190325_150939.jpg

Same day as my previous photo. One of many common wash houses we saw while walking. I actually recall one of those in my childhood, in Scotland. My aunt lived in a building that had four homes, with steps up and access at different levels. In the ground floor common area, separate from the dwellings, and also from the outside loo! there was a covered wash house. How we have become accustomed to what we deem legitimate, civilised facilities!

P4090094.JPG

Pics of food are not my thing, but sometimes...
Today two courses of the most amazing food I was offered at Meson Lucas in Chantada, when I told them I was lacto-ovo vegetarian and please make whatever was easy. The MOST amazing salad without a molecule of iceberg lettuce in sight, with walnuts, goat cheese and balsamic dressing; then an omelette francesca with.......
pimentos de padron!
Simple and perfect.
I didn't capture the desert. But it was delicious, too, a very rich flan.
View attachment 102372View attachment 102373
What delicious photos; they make me hungry.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lagos, Portugal
Praia Camilo/Camilo Beach

photos taken January 2011

Lagos, Praia Camilo.jpg

Lagos is on the Trilho dos Pescadores/
Fishermenn's Trail which leads west to Sagres on the Rota Vicentina. This view of the Praia Camilo/Camilo Beach looks across picturesque cliffs towards central Lagos

O Camilo Restaurante, Prahia Camilo.jpg

Perched on the seaside is this VERY good simple fish restaurant, O Camilo. Don't miss it.

...Bom appetito!

Last edited:
Up to Pancorbo.jpg

My walking buddy @VNwalking . On our way to Pancorbo. Camino Vasco Interior 2019.
Like Gronze says : " Etapa corta, plácida y agradable, casi sin desniveles; su principal atractivo es, en el tramo final, cruzar el desfiladero de Pancorbo.".

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Setúbul, Portugal
port

photo taken December 28, 2011

Setubal port.jpg

Setúbal, Portugal, is across the Sado River from the northern end of the coastal Rota Vincentina.

December 2011 after finishing the CF I continued to Finisterre, per usual, and then walked to the Portuguese border at Tui. At Tui my husband met me and
we drove south to Setúbal.

...to be continued

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A small shrine in the Albergue de Cuatro Cantones in Belorado. I drew encouragement from the different depictions of Santiago that I encountered. I thought it noteworthy that several albergues found at least a niche to acknowledge the person responsible not only for inspiring so many pilgrims, but also for the success of their business.

IMG_20190405_080624.jpg

Briviesca.jpg

Albergue municipal in Briviesca.
Camino Vasco Interior 2019. Just two of us that night. A whole appartment for us. Only one set of keys so if there are more pilgrims a good arrangement is necessary to get in and out.
When you arrive in Briviesca you have to go to the tourism office where they will call the friendly hospitalero who will walk you to the albergue.
Next morning you leave the keys at a designated place.
I remember that when we left the key and were already outside that my walkingpartner thought she left her camera inside. Small panicky moment but seems camera was with us all the time... :)

€149,-
Palmela, Portugal
Pousada/castle complex
passage

photo taken December 29, 2011

Palmela castle, passage.jpg

The Palmela castle/pousada complex spans a hilltop; the many structures span historic time.

Included are a medieval church and cloisters from a convent constructed within the earlier castle plus contemporary building.

To visit the castle you need not stay at the pousada; nevertheless after 56 nights in simple albergues staying at the pousada was a luxurious treat.

...to be continued

Araujo, 10 kms after leaving Porto on the central route. 200 years ago a hurricane tore through Araujo and demolished everything in sight, except the ancient oak tree that stood here. Wood from the tree is used in the pulpit in the adjoining 19thC chapel of St Peter. This photo is of a wee statue of St Peter embedded in the oak which still occupies the centre of the square. ( Apologies if we have already posted this a while ago!)
IMG_2899.JPGIMG_2903.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Palmela, Portugal
Pousada/castle complex

photos taken December 29, 2011

Palmela castle.jpg

Within the Palmela pousada/castle complex the castle had been occupied by Moors. Reconquered in the 12th c. it was given to the Military Order of Santiago/the Templars and in 1423 became their headquarters.

Wandering through the complex I was surprised to find this church dedicated to Santiago attributed to the Templars.

Palmela castle%0A, church.jpg

A 2011 view of the church interior featured a rather incongruous video player.

This simple scallop shell on a column base located in the old cloister is more evocative.

Palmela castle%0Achurch  shell.jpg

Symbolic recognition of the scallop shell links all pilgrims across time. Thus here I offered silent thanks for the ways that had been travelled while hoping for strength and resilience in the time still to come.

....As I post this those thoughts remain ever true.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Between Tamel and Ponte de Lima. Quite by chance a couple we know well were on the same route, but slightly ahead of us! This was their message to us, using the first letter of each of our names. no permanent defacement of the environment, thankfully!
P4100099.JPG

€149,-
Idiazabal.jpg

Somewhere in between Segura and Zegama on the Vasco Interior 2019.

Last edited:
Theatregal,
Those clouds really look ominous; was there a deluge?
There was indeed! More than one on this wild weather March day between Vilasario and Olveiroa, alternating between deluge, brief clearing with sun, light rain, sun, deluge, sun and even light snow over Monte Aro before the descent to Olveiroa. I arrived at Casa Loncho in Olveiroa drenched and cold, thankful for a bowl of caldo gallego and the warmth of the fire place in their cafe, where I sat most of the late afternoon. Despite the weather I remember this as an exhilarating day both for the challenge and for the beauty of the landscape in the changing light.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
There was indeed! More than one on this wild weather March day between Vilasario and Olveiroa, alternating between deluge, brief clearing with sun, light rain, sun, deluge, sun and even light snow over Monte Aro before the descent to Olveiroa. I arrived at Casa Loncho in Olveiroa drenched and cold, thankful for a bowl of caldo gallego and the warmth of the fire place in their cafe, where I sat most of the late afternoon. Despite the weather I remember this as an exhilarating day both for the challenge and for the beauty of the landscape in the changing light.
Indeed the comfort of a fireplace is wonderful in weather like that. I always stayed at the nearby pilgrim albergue which also had a big fireplace in the common dining area.

Roncesvalles
winter landscape

photo taken January 8, 2010

Roncesvalles.jpg

Following the Valcarlos alternate camino path was dangerous in winter. Thus I walked up to Roncesvalles monastery on the verges of route N-135; it was a cold 6 hour solo trek through wind, ice, and snow.

Arriving I was pooped (at 70 the weather wasn't easy) but proud ( I made it for the 6th time).

This ethereal winter landscape was worth the effort.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I loved the section of the Invierno right after A Rua. It followed a road that has been replaced by the autovia, so it carried almost no traffic, and had spectacular views of the river far below. Along the way there were quirky painted animals and faces and even (slightly creepy) single eyes. Someone with a sense of humor and a lot of creativity lives in Os Albaredos!
20190607_091156.jpg20190607_094422 (2).jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Approaching Barcelos. Caminho Portuguese, May, 2016.
P5164045.JPG

Pat & I are going to try and have a wee holiday for 3 1/2 weeks visiting some of our family in northern Victoria, New South Wales and Canberra. But the best laid plans of mice and men may not eventuate due to COVID! But we are ever hopeful! So we won't be posting any photos during this time, as all our photos are on our computer at home, but will be checking in every day to look at yours. Will return in 3 1/2 weeks, hopefully not before!
Buen Camino,
Anne & Pat.

View attachment 102719

Pat & I are going to try and have a wee holiday for 3 1/2 weeks visiting some of our family in northern Victoria, New South Wales and Canberra. But the best laid plans of mice and men may not eventuate due to COVID! But we are ever hopeful! So we won't be posting any photos during this time, as all our photos are on our computer at home, but will be checking in every day to look at yours. Will return in 3 1/2 weeks, hopefully not before!
Buen Camino,
Anne & Pat.
Anne & Pat,
Enjoy your journey. Stay safe.
Carpe diem and, as always,
Ultreia!

An interesting Cob oven at our albergue in Bercianos del Real Camino. I was not able to find out if it is used to any great extent any more. I guess that because hospitaleros at the albergues change so frequently, gaps in knowledge are created.

IMG_20190412_155504.jpg

View attachment 102719

Buen Camino,
Anne & Pat.
Have a great time!

near San Juan de Ortega
Camino Frances path

photo taken February 23, 2007

near San Juan de Ortega%0A.JPG

The February day was cold and overcast. Following the CF path from Villafranca Montes de Oca when it emerged from the dense forest I could at last glimpse San Juan de Ortega monastery on the distant horizon.

For me this section of the camino was memorable. In 2004 I had stayed in the monastery during my first camino

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This photo was taken on 21 July, 2004 - a Holy Year. It was a school gymnasium at Palas de Rei, turned over to providing overnight accommodation to the hoards of walking pilgrims that were arriving in Santiago de Compostela in time for the Feast Day on 25 July. Somewhere in there my daughter and I had mats on the ground. Apologies for the quality of the photo, it is a copy of a print from a small, non digital, camera. But I think it is interesting because it shows that even back in 2004 things could get very crowded!

2013-06-18 23.15.37.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This was taken on 15/05/2012 after leaving El Acebo and on the way down to Molinaseca, it is one of my favourite photos of the Camino. The clouds were below us for a while, it was magic. That is my brother just ahead of me.

View attachment 98840
I remember that part. We walked in May 2016. It was soooo HOT! The best part was arriving in Molinesca and soaking our feet in the river. The town was quite charming.

El Ganso
door

photo taken March 11, 2007

El Ganso door%0A.JPG

The weather was glorious, warm with a bright blue sky. Walking alonq the dirt CF track which runs from Santa Catalina de Somoza towards Rabanal del Camino the earth was orange as was this vibrant door.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back