• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Televes.jpg

Camino Ingles 2018.
The Televes building when approaching Sigueiro.

I know some people find these kind of roads/ places a bit boring but I do not mind walking them. Most of the times it means you will reach a place where they serve coffee ;) .

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Heading up to Somport. From blistering heat wave, the weather had changed to cold drizzle. On the left is the line of the abandoned railway that used to emerge at Canfranc. There was an accident (60's? 70's?) when a train ran away backwards - a power failure had led to a brake failure - and smashed up some of the infrastructure, so the SNCF decided it was not worth restoring and let it become derelict. There is talk of restoring the line, but unlike Spain, where there is still a functioning service almost up to the tunnel entrance, on the French side a lot of new engineering work would be needed where new roads have cut through what used to be the rail line. July 26 2019

DSC05753.JPG

July 20, 2019 the morning after I left del Norte to finish on the Frances from Fromista to Carrion, I was met with this beautiful sunrise. Leaving early to beat the heat can really pay off in more ways than one. 🙂 I took the alternate about 4K out of Fromista. It takes you away from the road. I missed it in 2013, so happy I found it this time around.
95713C48-F5A7-49E3-9982-0E4B4F68353E.jpeg

July 20, 2019 the morning after I left del Norte to finish on the Frances from Fromista to Carrion, I was met with this beautiful sunrise. Leaving early to beat the heat can really pay off in more ways than one. 🙂 I took the alternate about 4K out of Fromista. It takes you away from the road. I missed it in 2013, so happy I found it this time around.
View attachment 105684
FourSeasons,
Sunflowers turned to face the rising sun make a great shot! Years ago I also followed that alternate stretch via Villovieco but in much colder weather.

Last edited:
FourSeasons,
Sunflowers turned to face the rising sun make a great shot! Years ago I also followed that alternate stretch via Villovieco but in much colder weather.
mspath,
It may have very well been you who pointed out the alternative to me. I recall someone did and I am grateful for it. ☺️ Thank you and yes, I agree how the sunflowers facing the rising sun is spectacular, even they sing His praises. 🌻

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
O Cebreiro
snow

photo taken November 29, 2012

O Cebreiro snow 29.11.2012.jpg
After climbing 5 cold hours on the CF this photo was taken with great joy/relief upon arrival!
Cognac plus a late second breakfast came next in the surprisingly open/warm cafe.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Photo taken 26 July 2021, at 9:15 PM
Right in front of Casa Ivar in Santiago

20210726_211551.jpg
I spotted this giant seagull when I went to see where Casa Ivar is located (maybe even see Ivar in real life?)
Below the seagull: the statue of Alfonso II

Yesterday I finished a fantastic Camino Frances, today I am on the way to Oviedo to see if Camino Primitivo during pandemic is also more amazing than ever! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Photo taken 26 July 2021, at 9:15 PM
Right in front of Casa Ivar in Santiago

View attachment 105731

I spotted this giant seagull when I went to see where Casa Ivar is located (maybe even see Ivar in real life?)
Below the seagull: the statue of Alfonso II

Yesterday I finished a fantastic Camino Frances, today I am on the way to Oviedo to see if Camino Primitivo during pandemic is also more amazing than ever! :)
Buen! Buen Camino! Great photo!

On est arrivé! The literal and actual end of the Chemin D' Arles, and technically the beginning of the Aragonés. That sinister looking building is the now disused border/customs post marking the French/Spanish Border: redundant since Spain joined the EU in 1986. As a one-time construction worker, I don't like to see abandoned buildings but in this case perhaps a fate well-deserved. Tomorrow, the Aragonés begins.

DSC05759.JPG

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Approaching Vitoria on the Vasco.
It was getting hot and I was dragging a bit - and the city seemed to be receding rather than getting any closer. But at least there was a friendly mojon to say I was going in the right direction.
View attachment 105738

Oh I remember that stretch. I messed up really badly a little bit further on , finding yet another way into the suburbs ( does anyone live there? ) so I missed the cafeteria where we were supposed to meet.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pamplona
Cathedral cloister

photo taken October 21, 2013

Pamplona, 21 10 2013 .jpg

This view across the grass of the distinctive
2 storey 13th-15th c. Gothic cloister was shot through a window. Above the open loggia spaces on the 2nd storey can be seen an uppermost smaller loggia which may have been part of a dormitory. Open on one side such loggias would have been/still are airy places to walk or ponder especially during sultry weather.

Last edited:
Arrived safely in Irun, our Hotel in the background, checking out the Camino information board for the next morning. We decided to stay very near the bridge at the border between Irun and Hendaye and started walking from the border next morning on the Camino del Norte. April, 2018.
P4250119.JPG

Capela da Santa Marta - a peaceful little chapel from 1617 in Vilaboa, just before Pontevedra. It was a welcome place to sit for a bit in the cool interior on what was a very hot day, mid August 2015. There was a welcome table for pilgrims just inside the door, with a sign inviting us to take a Holy card and a stamp for our credentials

vilaboa.jpg vilaboa2.jpg

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Spanish end of the now ever more famous Somport railway tunnel. Apparently it is still used for service/emergency access to the road tunnel. By the way, just to clear up what might be a misunderstanding, we are not at present on the Camino Aragonés. We are currently in lockdown in Sydney, Australia forbidden on pain of fine, or other unspecified mediaeval penalties, from venturing outside a 10 kilometre radius from home, and will be until at least the end of August (and probably well beyond that). In my mind though, in my mind ..... 28 July 2019

DSC05768.JPG

The Spanish end of the now ever more famous Somport railway tunnel. Apparently it is still used for service/emergency access to the road tunnel. By the way, just to clear up what might be a misunderstanding, we are not at present on the Camino Aragonés. We are currently in lockdown in Sydney, Australia forbidden on pain of fine, or other unspecified mediaeval penalties, from venturing outside a 10 kilometre radius from home, and will be until at least the end of August (and probably well beyond that). In my mind though, in my mind ..... 28 July 2019

View attachment 105776
dick bird,
You are not alone. Many of us are "walking" now in our minds either via dreaming of future caminos or remembering past caminos.

May all be Buen caminos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Burgos albergue.jpg

Entrance hall albergue municipal Burgos . CF 2011.
Casa del Cubo y de los Lerma is the official title... ;)

View attachment 105776
Thank you Dick for all your great photos from your Camino Aragones. We are very sorry for you all in Sydney at this time. Hopefully it won’t go on for too long. We in Victoria have just been released again from lockdown, thank goodness. If we could get our vaccination rate up quickly that might help the situation in Sydney and NSW.
This thread has kept a lot of us going over the last year or so, goodness knows when we will be allowed to escape Australia and walk another Camino. Pat and I would love to be able to go next year but who knows!
Best wishes and Ultreia,
Anne & Pat

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Howdy all. This is a live one from Pontedeume on the Ingles, first time on this route. Glorious walk today south along the Ria De Ferrol. Had a couple of good chats with the locals about the decline of the local shipbuilding industry, according to one, it was the largest in the world; even the current cranes seem to be larger than the H&W cranes in Belfast, of the Titanic fame etc.
Would love to see this area really get a injection from the camino ingles, which may go some way to revitalising the likes of Ferrol (amazing turn of the century architecture).
Anyhow, need to finish off this vino, but what a pleasant surprise pontedueme was, amazing location, lovely bright historic buildings and very friendly locals. Sorry about the size of photo, haven't twigged resizing yet on mobile.
Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_20210728_213132.jpg
    IMG_20210728_213132.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@kohara : Thank you for the picture. Enjoy! Pontedeume is indeed a wonderful town.Tomorrow most probably Betanzos : another nice place.
If you stop at Miño tomorrow for a break do try to stop at Churrreria Bello ... they serve delicious chocolate and churros.

Last edited:
Atop that hill out of Atapuerca. The cross was a welcome sight. 💞

In Sept 2013 I heard the hill was tough going so I decided to stop beforehand to rest up, you know get a good nights sleep before the challenge. 🙂
075B2058-FEEF-479C-A49C-2A7A4B8AA3AD.jpeg
In April 2016, I had a sudden burst of energy as I zoomed passed my pilgrim friends who were in que in Atapuerca. It was a fantastic climb.
F7CE97DA-7C59-4491-A334-E260351421EA.jpeg
Every Camino is yours and every Camino is unique whether traveled on the same path or not. You will never take the same step twice. 👣

Last edited:
Estella
Calle Rúa
night

photo taken October 25, 2013

Estella, Calle Rua, at night  25.10.2013.jpg

This main street as you enter Estella on the CF traverses an artisanal neighborhood on the left bank of the Rio Ega.

Due to the ecclesiatical/commercial importance of the Camino or Rúa as it was called locally Estella mainly developed in the 12-13th c.

Santuario de Guadalupe, 4.8km after leaving Irun. It is said that when Hondarribia was besieged in 1638, the Virgin of Guadalupe protected the town for 69 days. Every 8th September, the townsfolk visit this sanctuary to commemorate her. Camino del Norte, April, 2018.
P4260124.JPG

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, gracias. I'm enjoying them too!
It is a mystery why this way is so lightly traveled.

Green walnuts on the Invierno.
The bounty will come later.
View attachment 105785
We're working on it. When we did it, well over half the pilgrims were Spanish, not surprising when you think about it. Less easily explained is the fact that on the Chemin D'Arles, there were lots of French pilgrims, but none on the Aragonés. I guess it's the iconic status of the Route Napoleon that brings people to SJPdP. Having walked from SJPdP to Pamplona, I know which route I'd recommend.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Terradillos de los Templarios, April 2019 - Day 17 on the CF closes with a peaceful sunset, and I have a comfortable bed waiting for me back at the albergue. I am grateful for the many good people who service El Camino with albergues, menu del dia, mojons, sellos, painted yellow arrows, etc. etc. and I am looking forward to returning and acknowledging their support.

IMG_20190411_203151.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Members, please don't be offended if you come back and find that your huge, full size photos have been downsized to thumbnails. Many of the photos are gorgeous and very interesting but with a long thread like this it takes too long to load and scroll down if the photos are large. Anyone can open a thumbnail and it will open to its glorious full size.

Thank you, @Kanga.
It's very true. I prefer the big size, but it makes the thread super slow to load.
And given that we are edging up past 1000 posts, I will suggest that we start One Day 6.0, when everyone has a chance to see this post and so is aware that a new thread is coming up. So I will do that, tomorrow.
So, heads-up!

Today it's sunset, Roncesvalles.
Feeling very satisfied about today's walk from SJPP, and excited about tomorrow.
IMG_7258.JPG

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Jaca is a lovely little town and has played its part in Spanish history, witness the Romanesque cathedral and 17th century fort, both kept in near pristine condition (the latter with a bicycle museum thrown in for good measure). The photo of the cathedral was taken outside a bistro/bar which sold the best seafood pinchos. It's amazing how some pilgrims solemnly tramp across Spain chomping their way through one menú del día after another without ever discovering the delights of Spanish cuisine. I think Jaca was also the location for the first conference of fraternities, sometime in the eighties (?), which established some of the protocols for routes, albergues etc. We did a side trip to the monastery of San Juan de la Peña, which is where I took the photo of a capital which either depicts Adam after the fall, or a very embarrassing event in the life of an unknown local many centuries ago. July 30th 2019.

DSC05785 (2).JPGDSC05791.JPGDSC05798.JPG

Jaca is a lovely little town and has played its part in Spanish history, witness the Romanesque cathedral and 17th century fort, both kept in near pristine condition (the latter with a bicycle museum thrown in for good measure). The photo of the cathedral was taken outside a bistro/bar which sold the best seafood pinchos. It's amazing how some pilgrims solemnly tramp across Spain chomping their way through one menú del día after another without ever discovering the delights of Spanish cuisine. I think Jaca was also the location for the first conference of fraternities, sometime in the eighties (?), which established some of the protocols for routes, albergues etc. We did a side trip to the monastery of San Juan de la Peña, which is where I took the photo of a capital which either depicts Adam after the fall, or a very embarrassing event in the life of an unknown local many centuries ago. July 30th 2019.

View attachment 105855View attachment 105856View attachment 105857
It's amazing how some pilgrims solemnly tramp across Spain chomping their way through one menú del día after another without ever discovering the delights of Spanish cuisine
You have a really great way of expressing your points!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

€149,-
Wish we'd stayed there. We slogged on to San Sebastián. Big mistake.
That’s a shame. We really enjoyed it, there was only about six of us the night we were there. It’s quite a walk from Irun for the first day and we were certainly glad to get there after taking the high road and to get into the albergue, we were second in line.

That’s a shame. We really enjoyed it, there was only about six of us the night we were there. It’s quite a walk from Irun for the first day and we were certainly glad to get there after taking the high road and to get into the albergue, we were second in line.
Actually, I liked San Sebastian, at least what I saw of it. Once we had checked in to the youth hostel, we were just too knackered to make it past the nearest pintxos bar.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gift.jpg

Flecha.Gift from a fellow peregrina ( you know who you are ;) ) who brought it from Spain back home to give to me.Ready to take off... back to Spain!

These daily pictures threads have brought a smile to my face the last year and a half. Looking forward to the next thread @VNwalking wlll open. See you there!

Looking forward to the nex thread @VNwalking wlll open. See you there!
Follow the yellow arrow to our next destination.
I'll ask the mods to please shut this albergue thread now. If you already posted here today, it's your lucky day - why not post a second photo in the new thread?
;) 🙏

Last edited:
Patiently waiting for the albergue to open. Grateful for the bench seat. Pasajes de San Juan/Pasaia Donibane. Very comfortable albergue. April, 2018.
View attachment 105880
I was grateful for this place as well. July 5, 2019. I loved the little village. Knowing what I know now, I couldn’t have made it to San Sebastián in one day from Irun.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back