• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

$ on the CF

SeattleWoman

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the Camino in June 2018
Do you need to carry cash (euros) on the CF to pay for food and shelter or do places accept credit cards? Any advice on currency?
Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you need to carry cash (euros) on the CF to pay for food and shelter or do places accept credit cards? Any advice on currency?
Thanks!

Cash is king on the Camino. Credit cards only in bigger hotels and restaurants also in bigger towns.
Most people withdraw 250 / 300 € and then repeat when needed. Take into consideration to break bigger notes of 100 € in smaller ones of 10 and 20 when paying in small shops and albergues.
Use ATM's when the bank is open so in case the machine eats your card you can ask a bankclerk to help you out.It is known that the part between Astorga and Ponferrada has the least ATM's.

There are alot of threads on this forum that will give your more information regarding the money issue.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Always assume you will need to pay in cash and use the bank ATMs to draw out 300 euros at a time (less transaction fees) as the money exchange companies charge such high fees that it isn't worthwhile exchanging overseas dollars for euros. Pay heed to the warnings of using ATMs during bank hours only in case your card gets chewed or you are given 50 euro notes and you need to break it down to 5, 10 and 20s.Cards can be used at only a few albergues, cafes/restaurants in big cities and large chain supermarkets like Dia, Froize and Eroski. Make sure you have 1 and 2 euro coins for vending machines, washing machines and dryers. A good money belt for notes and a bum bag for coins kept it safe and convenient for us.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Cash is king on the Camino. Credit cards only in bigger hotels and restaurants also in bigger towns.
Most people withdraw 250 / 300 € and then repeat when needed. Take into consideration to break bigger notes of 100 € in smaller ones of 10 and 20 when paying in small shops and albergues.

Use ATM's when the bank is open so in case the machine eats your card you can ask a bankclerk to help you out.It is known that the part between Astorga and Ponferrada has the least ATM's.

Hola - as far as I can recall there are NO ATM facilities between Astorga and Ponferada so it is strongly recommended to withdraw your cash for the next two or three days. If staying in one of the 3 star hotels in Rabanal you should be able to charge room and board to a credit card.
In general, apart from the above section, almost all small towns have either a private ATM (fees apply usually around E5) or in the average size towns most banks will have a 24 hour ATM facility. Good luck:rolleyes:

There are alot of threads on this forum that will give your more information regarding the money issue.

There are a few places where you can use credit cards, including a few of the private albergues and the pensions that have private rooms (for taking a rest day or just wanting a private room for a night). Check with your bank to see what banks they have a partnership with in Spain, to possibly save $ on the atm fees. Some credit cards do not charge foreign transaction fees.
Generally, as others have stated, cash is important to have at the ready for food and lodging at bars and albergues and small shops. A money belt or waist/fanny pack is used by many. My fanny pack was always on me...

I have a Charles Schwab checking account with debit card that I use for traveling. They have no foreign transaction fees, and refund any fees that are incurred when using ATMs anywhere in the world.
I also carry a debit card from my primary bank as a back up, along with 2 credit cards.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a Charles Schwab checking account with debit card that I use for traveling. They have no foreign transaction fees, and refund any fees that are incurred when using ATMs anywhere in the world.
I also carry a debit card from my primary bank as a back up, along with 2 credit cards.

I also use a Chas. Schwab ATM/debit card. No fees and refund any that are charged by the dispensing ATM. I have a second one with the same features from Union Bank. I use them both.

There are also some credit unions that offer these terms.

Thanks!

Euro only, credit/debit cards only in really big shops/supermarkets and/or upmarket hotels. And also, you might consider using a debit card/cash card instead of a credit card - normally cheaper ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good conversation. Caminantes, you need to have euros [cash] for your camino. My recommendation to US travelers is to check with your local bank prior to leaving to Spain. Team Sailor [my wife and me] was able to exchange muchos dolares for muchos euros from our local bank. We never used our credit/debit cards in Spain, and we have muchos euros left for our next camino. Si se puede [it can be done]. Good luck, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We used credit cards at many small restaurants in larger towns...they took visa and MasterCard. As stated above most Dias and Eroski supermarkets took them. In addition we slept at many private albergues that took them as well. However we mostly took a private room so they were perhaps willing to charge a bigger amount of money. It is to your advantage to use the CC. If you do always charge in euros. Do not let them convert to your currency, it will cost you more!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.