• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On this date in August...

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
On August 1st 2017 I walked from O Cebreiro to Samos, which is such a lovely place!
20170801_142504_copy_1008x756.jpg

I had one of the best pilgrim dinners there. I don't remember what the main course was, but I started with these delicious scallops. 😋
20170801_211101_copy_1008x756.jpg

Then on to Barbadelo on August 2nd.
I stayed at the wonderful Casa Barbadelo, which has many artifacts on display, including this 1954 Camino guide.
20170802_175937_copy_756x1008.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On August 1st 2017 I walked from O Cebreiro to Samos, which is such a lovely place!
View attachment 80008

I had one of the best pilgrim dinners there. I don't remember what the main course was, but I started with these delicious scallops. 😋
View attachment 80009

I stayed at the wonderful Casa Barbadelo, which has many artifacts on display, including this 1954 Camino guide.
View attachment 80010
Today is also the anniversary of the death of my favorite New York Yankee and the namesake of my departed and greatly loved dog, Munson. 41 years ago today the great Yankee catcher, and heart and soul of that team, Thurman Munson died in a tragic plane crash.

View attachment 80008

View attachment 80009

View attachment 80010
Samos is a delightful place, would surely go through there then take the main route.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
August 3, 2016. Sunrise at Cruz de Ferro. This is a photo of the sunrise, though, not of the Cruz de Ferro (which is behind me to the west). Instead of the pole and the cross, you get to see people waiting for their turn and taking photos. :)

20160803_072906.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
6 August, 2016. Waiting for the albergue to open in O Cebreiro. This was the first albergue we stayed at that didn't have private stalls for showering. My teenage son was not impressed.
View attachment 80270

It was the first albergue that I stayed in that I vowed to never stay in again.
The day that I was there wasn't as warm and sunny as yours. Although the location and building were fine, the atmosphere left me cold, and not just physically.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I stayed in that albergue in O'Cebreiro in May 2017(oops) and was surprised at how many pilgrims it held. I heard the shower area left much to be desired, so I chose to give it a miss...sounds like it was definately a good decision. I think it was my only night without a shower in over 35 days.

I stayed in that albergue in O'Cebreiro in May 2017(oops) and was surprised at how many pilgrims it held. I heard the shower area left much to be desired, so I chose to give it a miss...sounds like it was definately a good decision. I think it was my only night without a shower in over 35 days.
I stayed there in June 2019, that was the night before I collapsed on the trail with breathing difficulties. I was a bit out of it that night and dosed myself up on Ibuprofen and so I didn't particularly notice the showers but did notice that it had huge rooms with very large numbers of pilgrims and very little room between the bunks and even had rows of bunks pushed together. Not nice if you didn't know the person sleeping next to you.

This also seemed to be a popular starting point for Spanish people and there were lots of groups staying and walking together from there. One particular group seemed to occupy the bunks around where I slept and woke up super early the next morning and put their headlights on as they packed up to leave and, of course, shone their lights in my face (and others), waking us up. ☹️

6 August, 2016. Waiting for the albergue to open in O Cebreiro. This was the first albergue we stayed at that didn't have private stalls for showering. My teenage son was not impressed.
View attachment 80270
Wow, whats with the conga line of backpacks? I hope no one was carrying bed bugs!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It was the first albergue that I stayed in that I vowed to never stay in again.
The day that I was there wasn't as warm and sunny as yours. Although the location and building were fine, the atmosphere left me cold, and not just physically.
Goodness, trecile, that sounds like a story worth telling!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
August 21, 2016 - the First day of my First Camino! After spending the night at the excellent Corazon Puro with Barbara and Istvan, I was driven along with the other pilgrims who spent the night there to SJPdP. The others spent the night in St Jean, so I walked to Orisson alone, until I met up with a woman that I had met on the train from Madrid to Pamplona. I did meet up with my Corazon Puro "family" the next day in Roncesvalles. I just loved everything about the Camino and being up in the Pyrenees. As you can see from the photos the weather was wonderful, with expansive views.

Orisson small.jpgOrisson August 21 small.jpgrefuge orisson small.jpg

August 21, 2016 - the First day of my First Camino! After spending the night at the excellent Corazon Puro with Barbara and Istvan, I was driven along with the other pilgrims who spent the night there to SJPdP. The others spent the night in St Jean, so I walked to Orisson alone, until I met up with a woman that I had met on the train from Madrid to Pamplona. I did meet up with my Corazon Puro "family" the next day in Roncesvalles. I just loved everything about the Camino and being up in the Pyrenees. As you can see from the photos the weather was wonderful, with expansive views.

View attachment 81438View attachment 81439View attachment 81440
Was the Camino crowded at that time? I've heard that the August crowds don't start until the last 100K. I've only been there during late June and July, which I will probably go around then next time, but it would be nice to know if August is a possibility. I won't be doing the last 100K so that won't be a problem.

Was the Camino crowded at that time? I've heard that the August crowds don't start until the last 100K. I've only been there during late June and July, which I will probably go around then next time, but it would be nice to know if August is a possibility. I won't be doing the last 100K so that won't be a problem.
No, it wasn't too busy. Never an issue getting a bed. And much less crowded in Santiago in late September than the other months I've arrived there - June, July and August
I think that the numbers of pilgrims starting from SJPDP really increases in September

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No, it wasn't too busy. Never an issue getting a bed. And much less crowded in Santiago in late September than the other months I've arrived there - June, July and August
I think that the numbers of pilgrims starting from SJPDP really increases in September
Sounds like a good time to go, now all I have to do is wait until I can return!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think that the nice thing about these monthly threads is that people who are considering going in those months can get a snapshot of what it's like in May, June, July, etc. So please, add your post to the May thread!
Ok...will do now.😊
Done!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back