• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

One Napoleon but two variants......

blind fool

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2019
hi there,

having cycled the Camino already I'm 'familiar' with the Napolean route using the surfaced road from Orisson to the 'Peak' where you venture off road to the right where there is a memorial.
However as I'm sure many of you will know there is a dirt track off to the left which while steep etc does create a 'short cut' and does away with one of the 'switch backs' on the road.
Just trying to understand distances and how much distance might be saved - I appreciate it'll be considerably steeper etc but wonder whether its worth the effort?

buen camino :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've always biked the road into Roncesvalles and it it is exhilarating.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
thank you for your replies - please forgive me however.
I've just checked on the map and the 'diversion' I was referring to is just before you arrive at Orrison - just wondering if the zig zag dirt track is worth the effort?
1715096550038.png

If you do take a diversion to your best calculations what us the time difference?
IMHO anything 15-20 mins is not worth pondering about hence again IMHO it's mot about the distance
As I understand the diversion is longer but safer. My safety worth the extra time

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
the 'diversion' I was referring to is just before you arrive at Orrison - just wondering if the zig zag dirt track is worth the effort?
View attachment 169715
I have no idea whether any cyclists ride up the zig zag footpath and what this would do for erosion. Here is a proper map, perhaps it can help with your decision-making?

SJPP to Orisson.jpg

thank you very much.
I'm inclined to think there's nothing to be gained (other than hard work and erosion).
thanks again.

would I be right in thinking you're referring to the Valcarlos route?
glad you enjoyed. 👍
Sorry, I completely misunderstood your post. I was referring to the road from Col du Lepoeder down into Roncesvalles avoiding the short cut through the forest. And no, I didn’t take the path short cut before Orisson.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have no idea whether any cyclists ride up the zig zag footpath and what this would do for erosion. Here is a proper map, perhaps it can help with your decision-making?

View attachment 169729
I saw walking pilgrims hike up that zigzag while I cycled the D428 - it's crazy steep! Even if you have incredible legs you'll (maybe) loose traction

Sorry, I completely misunderstood your post. I was referring to the road from Col du Lepoeder down into Roncesvalles avoiding the short cut through the forest. And no, I didn’t take the path short cut before Orisson.
as they say - my bad. I didn't explain very well 👍

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
hi there,

having cycled the Camino already I'm 'familiar' with the Napolean route using the surfaced road from Orisson to the 'Peak' where you venture off road to the right where there is a memorial.
However as I'm sure many of you will know there is a dirt track off to the left which while steep etc does create a 'short cut' and does away with one of the 'switch backs' on the road.
Just trying to understand distances and how much distance might be saved - I appreciate it'll be considerably steeper etc but wonder whether its worth the effort?

buen camino :)
I have walked both and my opinion is the road to the right is best. After the climb from SJPP you are not 100% and it’s easy to slip/fall on left while the right is about 1 k longer it’s much safer

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back