• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Overdid, vomiting, took a rest day but still determined

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015 (CF, 100 miles), June/July 2018 (CP, ~40 miles, too hot!)
Help! I've recently vomited several times over the past two days. I walked from Leon to Villedangas de Paramo, 17 miles, more than I've ever done in my life! Yesterday as it got later and hotter, I slowed down more and more, finally dragging here to VdP after having vomited several times. I know this is heat exhaustion. I'm determined to do this Camino in spite of being diabetic and overweight. Any suggestions? I'd love to get to Astorga tomorrow but don't want to have to push then rest over and over. I have until July 21 so time is with me so far. And thank you all. I made it out of Leon with NO problem!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You must stop & recovery slowly. Heat exhaustion can & does kill. Time to take a couple days & rest, drink water. One you have had heat exhaustion you are more susceptible to it.
I lost people to this in the desert please slow down.
Keith

You must stop & recovery slowly. Heat exhaustion can & does kill. Time to take a couple days & rest, drink water. One you have had heat exhaustion you are more susceptible to it.
I lost people to this in the desert please slow down.
Keith
Please take MTto Camino's guidance seriously. Once you have a heat injury you are more likely to have more. Also heat exhaustion can lead to heat stroke which can be deadly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Kate, I agree with MT. Take a day OR TWO of rest and then either start earlier in the morning or take shorter stages.
It's only getting hotter next week (at least here in Oregon) and heat exhaustion is nothing to play around with.
Drink LOTS of water and buy an umbrella to walk under.
I swear it cuts the temperature by 10 degrees!
Buen and SAFE Camino!

Once you have recovered and as you go forward, the umbrella suggestion is a good one - it really can help a lot, as you are walking but also because you can take a break anywhere. Also, carry in your pack the sports drink Aquarius, which is readily available in many tiendas. It will restore your hydration and electrolytes. If this vomiting continues please seek local medical advice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The exhaustion is probably impacting your judgement also.
I'm sorry to sound harsh, but to attempt to walk to Astorga in one day seems foolish rather than "determined." Consider taking a taxi to Astorga, get medical advice if necessary, spend 2 or 3 days resting and gentle sight-seeing, and and then plan shorter stages (or buses) to get to Santiago. Better to make your camino a healthful experience rather than the opposite.

You have more than 21 days to walk what Eroski has in 13 syages, so why the need to rush? Granted VdP is not exactly the height of culture or tourism, but you ned to take it easy. Then only walk to Hospital de Obrigo, leaving in the early morning to avoid scortching heat. Cut your etapas in half, you have plenty of time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
go to the farmacia and ask for some magnesium/potassium tablets. They dissolve in water, and put back minerals lost when you sweat. Beer is also extremely good for you when the heat is on -- it is full of electrolytes, water, and carbs your body is craving. Even better (and less heavy) is a "clara," a beer cut with fizzy water or lemonade, which gives you a bit of sugar, too.
After you get all hydrated, go to a dark room and put up your feet and SLEEP!
Not sure how that translates to a diabetic diet, but I treat exhausted pilgrims here with these things, and they are put right!

CaminoKate, take it easy, you need a restday or two. And you need electrolytes and water. And plan for shorter days. When you start vomiting, your body is telling you something so slow down and listen.
I hope you get well and can continue your camino.
Buon Camino to you and all the best.

To explain further & to be more specific how quickly this can overtake your system:
Once your body stops sweating, you can't urinate, your body temp/brain temp gets very high, just prior to this you throw up, you get a headache & become very weak. This can all happen in minutes when you no longer have enough fluid in your system.
If I was with you I would have started an IV, or taken you to get one.

Even with an IV we use to take all the 5 gallon water cans we could muster & pour even warm water on our soldiers, to get there core temps down. Most times it worked, but not enough to save some.

So please listen to your bodies drink a lot OF WATER, if you get sick simply stop, drink, find shade for a couple days. Last thing no caffeinated beverages, no soda pop.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Buy an umbrella, buy electrolyte sachets to add to your water, when you do decide to start walking again, go slowly for a couple of days, by not exceeding more than 12 kms each day and, should you still feel weak, which you probably do, take the luxury of sending your backpack ahead, at least the first day. Good luck! Hope all goes well.

Help! I've recently vomited several times over the past two days. I walked from Leon to Villedangas de Paramo, 17 miles, more than I've ever done in my life! Yesterday as it got later and hotter, I slowed down more and more, finally dragging here to VdP after having vomited several times. I know this is heat exhaustion. I'm determined to do this Camino in spite of being diabetic and overweight. Any suggestions? I'd love to get to Astorga tomorrow but don't want to have to push then rest over and over. I have until July 21 so time is with me so far. And thank you all. I made it out of Leon with NO problem!

Yeah, you're "determined to 'do' (whatever that means) this Camino".

Continuing on in hot weather after suffering from heat exhaustion means risking your life, particularly with complicating health factors like diabetes.

My suggestion?

Go home. Get in better physical condition. Come back next year in the spring or the fall when the weather is cooler.

If it is heat exhaustion, which none of us can tell, you are likely to be sensitive for several days. It would be foolish to proceed without seeking proper medical advice about both the treatment and if you are going to keep walking, what might be more sensible daily targets.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Please take care, don't start walking again before you feel much, MUCH better. Seriously. One or two rest days might not be enough once you're that weak and sick. I know it's hard to stay back and rest while everyobody else is walking, but if you don't, there's a good chance you won't make it at all.

If you're really determinded to make it to Santiago, go see a doctor (they will tell you whether there's a chance you can continue or whether you have to stop completely), then if you still want to/can walk, REST until you feel healthy again, even if it might take a week, then start walking again doing SHORT days (like, about 5 km max.). Say goodbye to the distances everyone else is doing.

If you want to make it, listen to your body. Right now it's telling you it's too much what you're asking for. You don't want to collapse on the Way and be another cross at the side of the path. When I was walking it wasn't that warm, but I noticed there were more crosses in areas where there was no shade. The way from Léon to Astorga doesn't have much shade if I remember correctly.

Be safe. Wish you all the best.

To explain further & to be more specific how quickly this can overtake your system:
Once your body stops sweating, you can't urinate, your body temp/brain temp gets very high, just prior to this you throw up, you get a headache & become very weak. This can all happen in minutes when you no longer have enough fluid in your system.

Even with an IV we use to take all the 5 gallon water cans we could muster & pour even warm water on our soldiers, to get there core temps down. Most times it worked, but not enough to save some.

So please listen to your bodies drink a lot OF WATER, if you get sick simply stop, drink, find shade for a couple days. Last thing no caffeinated beverages, no soda pop.
I have "fallen out" in a refinery without realizing it,..and it was an old soldier who saw the symptoms,even as i could not.
Long story short
I stopped sweating,stopped making coherent thoughts or speech ,,,no matter how hard I tried.
The gentleman who was also a EMT said i was close to stroking out...
Didnt know how close i was but it took 2 gallons of water before i started to speak coherently.
And when i came back to a lot of gatoraid and orange juice.
And the blinding headache.....
Please,be gentle with yourself,you will make it!

Please be careful! I once fainted due to severe flu-related dehydration and ended up in the ER on a saline IV. Drink lots of Aquarius -- it's just water with added sugar and salts (sort of like Spanish Gatorade), but is good for re-hydration and available in even the smallest tienda or kiosk. Bananas, avocado, potatoes and mango are all excellent sources of potassium that are gentle on the tummy. I agree with everyone else -- no reason to needlessly push yourself, simply rest up in Astorga for a day or two. Visit the Cathedral and Gaudi church, relax in your hotel, take a nice long bath, then if you feel up to it, continue at a more moderate pace (leaving as early as possible in order to take advantage of the cooler morning weather.) Good luck! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think you should seek medical attention to confirm it's heat exhaustion, a doctor can tell you best what to do!
If the Spanish language is a barrier, just ask a volunteer in an albergue for help. There is bound to be someone around you who won't mind at all helping you out.
You only lose a few hours, so why would you not seek advise?

If you must walk; I think you should:
- Start your day very early to avoid having to walk in the heat of the day
- Keep covered, wear a hat etc.
- Shower exposed body parts in sunscreen
- use an umbrella or walk around with a wet towel wrapped around your head; be an original pilgrim :)
- drink lots and lots and some more (but not alcohol)

and a painful could-be tip:
- don't get dragged along by a pilgrim family; it's your camino! If you feel like "yeah, maybe..." then it's probably for the best you go your own way and you could get a much nicer camino

Last edited:
Drink lots of Aquarius -- it's just water with added sugar and salts (sort of like Spanish Gatorade),
BTW, Gatorade is now in Spain, sold on the shelf next to Aqurius. Not called Gatorade but G or something, with the same graphics.

and a painful could-be tip:
- don't get dragged along by a pilgrim family; it's your camino! If you feel like "yeah, maybe..." then it's probably for the best and you could get a much nicer camino
BRAVO! This "family" nonsense drives me nuts. If the people you stumbled upon on day 1 are fantastic, the odds are that those being you are just as brilliant. But I understand the Camino is a process, and on a first Camino the tendency is to think you have found the holly grail when meeting a first bunch of like minded people. This being said, I believe the OP started walking yesterday, so she is not likely to want to follow anyone in particular, and if she does stay put, she will get to meet, and watch come and go, so many more.

Happy healing Kate.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Kate, I walked with insulin pump and CGM. Your diabetes gives you a whole heap of complications over other peregrinas. Test your blood glucose more often while you are unwell and get that under control before you move on. As others have suggested, get some local medical help and make sure you are ok.

Your not drinking enough water!!!! You're over exerting yourself in a very hot environment. If you are a older pilgrim, 40 plus, you are even more susceptible to heat exhaustion. If its as hot there as it is here (38.7 c) you should be drinking at least 2 gallons, 7.5 liters, of water every day while you're walking. You need to hydrate before, during, and after walking and doing it often, even if your not thirsty! Thirsty means you are already dehydrated. Chapped lips mean your dehydrated. Dry itchy skin means you're dehydrated. If you pinch the skin on the back of your hand and it doesn't go right back down you're dehydrated. You should also consider walking from 0400 or 0500 to 1200 or 1300 and then stop for the day.

If you are pale. cool, or clammy (sweating profusely) to the touch, and or have nausea and vomiting you are suffering from heat exhaustion and should be treated as a emergency because shock is always involved. Go into deep enough shock and you could die. Take a few days off from your Camino. Rest and hydrate. No beer, wine or spirits, no caffeine. If you have to get up at night to pee good! you're hydrating well. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

PS The UN developed a soluble power to treat infant dehydration deaths in Africa. I believe you can by it across the counter at pharmacies in Spain. Get it and use it!

You're describing heat stroke, a dire emergency, and your field treatment is very good. With heat exhaustion they are pale, cool, and clammy (sweaty) to the touch, and shocky. Move to shade or cooler environment if possible, treat for shock, and give IV fluids (10 minuet challenge) 2 1 liter bags in ten minuets, one line in each arm. On the Camino you don't have that luxury so cool as best you can, treat for shock, and give oral fluids very carefully because of shock. Best treatment is prevention. Like you said "drink lots of WATER" even if you're not thirsty.
Respectfully Navy Corpsman Retired

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You're describing heat stroke, a dire emergency, and your field treatment is very good. With heat exhaustion they are pale, cool, and clammy (sweaty) to the touch, and shocky. Move to shade or cooler environment if possible, treat for shock, and give IV fluids (10 minuet challenge) 2 1 liter bags in ten minuets, one line in each arm. On the Camino you don't have that luxury so cool as best you can, treat for shock, and give oral fluids very carefully because of shock. Best treatment is prevention. Like you said "drink lots of WATER" even if you're not thirsty.
Respectfully Navy Corpsman Retired
I wish we had more corpsman or equivalent, in the Army.

We still have not heard back from Kate I hope she lets us know of her status.

I wish we had more corpsman or equivalent, in the Army.

We still have not heard back from Kate I hope she lets us know of her status.
Thanks that is a great compliment.
I'm sure she is either holed up somewhere getting better, in a hospital getting proper treatment.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kate's last activity was when she started this thread, and it doesn't appear she has been back since to see what advice she has been offered.
Thanks Dougfitz A lack of contact is worry some.

CaminoKater, will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for your success. You do have time so take it easy rest days are allowed. This will give you time to recovery.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am learning so much from this thread; I'm sure I would have benefitted from some of this info when I was on Camino. Thank you to all contributors. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
She's back walking again and wrote about it on the "Breaking down/building up" thread. Buen camino, Kate! :) :)

Hola Kate....all i

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back