• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Overnight in Hendaye French border) for train

jonarv

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 recce, 2017 full Frances
I fancy returning home from Santiago to the UK overland if I have time, to give me a chance to chill a bit before returning to the world.

It looks like the daily train from Santiago gets me to the French border at Hendaye 915pm and requires me to overnight before carrying on the next morning to Paris.

Hostels will be closed by then I guess so does anyone know if there is reasonably priced accommodation close to the station?

Alternative could be to get off train earlier at another town, but that makes it a very long day home to Blighty the next day!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi jonarv, I don't know if your train is already booked but have you considered returning via ferry Santander to Plymouth or Portsmouth? It is a very good way of slowly re-acclimatising to everyday life after walking the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi jonarv, I don't know if your train is already booked but have you considered returning via ferry Santander to Plymouth or Portsmouth? It is a very good way of slowly re-acclimatising to everyday life after walking the Camino.

I looked at ferry - that took 3 days total and too much hassle. 7 hr bus to Santander, overnight, then 24 hour ferry THEN long train journey to get home late evening. I like the idea that the Day 1 train retraces much of the route we will have walked. And that I can just gaze out at landscape.

Last edited:
Most of the international trains between Spain and France now seem to take the high-speed Madrid-Barcelona-Paris route. Very fast services. Perhaps you might find more convenient timings and connections returning to the UK via Barcelona?

I fancy returning home from Santiago to the UK overland if I have time, to give me a chance to chill a bit before returning to the world.

It looks like the daily train from Santiago gets me to the French border at Hendaye 915pm and requires me to overnight before carrying on the next morning to Paris.

Hostels will be closed by then I guess so does anyone know if there is reasonably priced accommodation close to the station?

Alternative could be to get off train earlier at another town, but that makes it a very long day home to Blighty the next day!
Hendaye train station is maybe only 1km from Irun pilgrim albergue which closes at 10PM and you can get off the train even earlier in Spain (=Irun). Also you didn't mention the time of your return. This is quite touristy area so in the summer hostals & pensiones etc. might be full or at least quite expensive. Another option is to take a short bus/train ride from Hendaye to Bayonne and search for accommodation there (if you need info on unofficial private lodging for 20€ feel free to PM me).

K1

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most of the international trains between Spain and France now seem to take the high-speed Madrid-Barcelona-Paris route. Very fast services. Perhaps you might find more convenient timings and connections returning to the UK via Barcelona?

Actually ... not. It takes about the same amount of actual travel time to go from Santiago to Paris via Irun as it does Santiago to Paris via Barcelona. It depends on your schedule if one route works out better than the other.

If Irun doesn't work for you get off at San Sebastian. The Renfe Cercanias trains to Irun and the Euskotren Metro Donostialdea trains to Hendaia start early enough to catch a Paris bound train from Hendaye.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks all. And station hotel looks perfect. It'll be first week in July so a busy time, hence wanting to plan options. But I'm not making any return arrangements till towards end of Camino as I don't want to be stressed by having to meet reservations. If the walk timings get tight, I can always fly. Or ask boss nicely for a few more days leave :)

If Irun doesn't work for you get off at San Sebastian. The Renfe Cercanias trains to Irun and the Euskotren Metro Donostialdea trains to Hendaia start early enough to catch a Paris bound train from Hendaye.

I stayed at a hostel by the Euskotren station in San Sebastian and 'commuted' to Hendaye for 4 days late January it was very convenient. If the Hotel in Hendaye is not available you could check out "A Room In The City" hostel. Secure, Clean, Lockers and private bed spaces.

Have a wonderful trip. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi All - I am a debit card /cash only girl, its just how I live. I transfer X amount of money from a savings on to a debit card and then use my debit card. I've been looking into using the Wise...
Hi Everyone, This second Camino seems to be a go, even though I am far from ready! (1st Camino 2016, 2nd attempted 2019, needed surgery then tried for 2020). I still don't have shoes! Lol I...
I wanted to share my experience using the luggage forwarding/storage service offered by Casa Ivar. I flew from Dallas to Paris, arriving in Paris on March 29th. I’d requested DHL shipping from...
Hello, I was trying to plan on catching the 4:00 pm Monbus from Samos to Santiago. I can see from the many reviews online this bus company is not reliable and treats customers terribly (denying...
which is the bus to take to cross the town of Burgos and find yourself on the camino francès to the other side of Burgos? what are the stops where to take the bus in Burgos and where to get off...
Hi all! Not sure where to post this (moderators, please feel free to move to the correct section if it’s wrong here). Due to a mess up of the Dutch postal service, the parcel I sent home from...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back