Pack liners

brawblether

Sep 11, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Time of past OR future Camino
June/Jul 2012; Feb 2014
Just working out the logistics of using a pack liner (bin bag or otherwise) when walking in the winter season. Do people just leave their stuff in the liner all the time or only use it occasionally? Doesn't it create a lot of noise rustling around in the albergues?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

NicoZ

Veteran Member
Mar 28, 2013
Most hiking shops should have dry bags. They tend to come in different sizes. The ones normally used for hiking aren't perfectly water proof. So if you throw the pack into the river they aren't the choice. The ones aimed at water sport are more water proof.

I think most people do things in stages.

1) Stuff that must stay dry. Paperwork. matches. Electronics. Clean dry clothes to change into.

2) extra clothes.

3) Dirty clothes

In my expierence they don't make noise in the pack. But I guess if you're pulling them out of the pack and opening the velcro seal they'll create noise.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Feb 11, 2013
Portugal
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
I go with @NicoZ . The real problem it's to know whether if the dry bag it's really waterproof or not. I think that, you could do a combination of 3 in 1 if you wish. So, for example, you could really buy a dry brack from a trekking shop, then you can add a cover pack for your pack and, if you think that it's still necessary, you could add a poncho. I think that with this, you will not have any problems with water entering in you backpack :D

Best Regards
Diogo

D

Deleted member 3000

Reactions: Tamas
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Feb 11, 2013
Portugal
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
Zip-lock plastic bags work great! They are cheap, come in various sizes and are also a wonderful way to organize your clothes, etc. I usually pack about 5 extra bags in case of need.

Forget to say that this is what I use. :p

Before you zip them, fold them has an envelope, and then you can expel the air out from the bag, making them to loose a part from their occupied space.

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:

Caplen

Wherever you go, there you are.
Sep 8, 2013
Houston, TX
Fall 2000 - Frances;
Summer 2001 - Norte/Frances/Fisterra;
Spring 2015 - SJPdP>Irun(GR10)>SdC((Norte)>Fisterra/Muxia
I'm not sure why a liner is even necessary for a "civilized" (i.e., no primitive, backcountry camping) hike like the Camino?
You won't be fording rivers or pitching a tent in snow.

Stuff sacks (not necessarily waterproof) and an assortment of ziplocks are great for organization, but waterproofing is not really necessary.

In the rain/snow, I walk with either a backpackers poncho or an umbrella. So I guess, if your intention is to walk in inclement weather with a rain jacket and pack cover, where some rain/snow may get between your pack and your back, maybe a liner is good extra protection?

If so, a good choice is a trash-compactor bag for a full bag liner. Cheaper choice than "official" dry sacks, and stronger for the long haul than regular garbage bags. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D50OU8/?tag=casaivar02-20

Yes, you would just leave it in your bag, and organize individual gear groups within it in ziplocks or cloth bags.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

brawblether

Sep 11, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
June/Jul 2012; Feb 2014
Ha, I should have know there would be a range of approaches! My backpack is canvas so I won't be taking an exterior cover, I do, however, think it would be wise to have my items inside enclosed as an added layer of protection. I have no plans whatsoever to swim with it on so it's only to protect from the rain. I also rather suspect if it's torrential I'll find shelter until it had passed.

Thanks for all your replies, I will have a play around with compartmental packing in a mixture of ziplock bags and something a bit larger for clothes.

Irène Elisabet

St Benedict Ora Pro Nobis!
Aug 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Frances (2014)
I got these for my husband and I - they are slightly heavier feeling than a garbage bag, not very noisy but there's no closure at the top. Not sure we'll need one. We also are using backpack waterproof exterior covers. Here's the link to the liner - would appreciate any feedback if they are good or not:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004TUD9/?tag=casaivar02-20

Caplen

Wherever you go, there you are.
Sep 8, 2013
Houston, TX
Fall 2000 - Frances;
Summer 2001 - Norte/Frances/Fisterra;
Spring 2015 - SJPdP>Irun(GR10)>SdC((Norte)>Fisterra/Muxia
I got these for my husband and I - they are slightly heavier feeling than a garbage bag, not very noisy but there's no closure at the top. Not sure we'll need one. We also are using backpack waterproof exterior covers. Here's the link to the liner - would appreciate any feedback if they are good or not:

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Power-Products-0272130-Backpack/dp/B00004TUD9/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382311148&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=ultralite backpack liner

The link is to some sort of power painting tool? Is it the right size for your backpack?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Oct 15, 2012
Santiago de Compostela
egeria.house
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Power-Products-0272130-Backpack/dp/B00004TUD9/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382311148&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=ultralite backpack liner

Ehm, they are not backback liners in the sense we use the word here ;-) They are meant to be used in a paint sprayer you carry on your back and are far too small: 3.8 x 3.1 x 1 inches
I simply use a couple of thick (heavy duty) rubbish bags, one smaller one to give my sleeping bag extra protection and one bigger one for the rest of my belongings. Really important stuff like passport ect goes additionally in ziplock bags. Don't underestimate the rain! Buen Camino!, SY

nellpilgrim

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2009
Ireland
bigwalky.blogspot.com
SDC-Fisterra 08/Camino Frances SJPP to SDC 09/Nuremburg-SDC 11- ongoing
Ziplock bags are super and I use a green garden rubbish bag that is little more durable than a bin liner (some of the latter are quite flimsy). For important stuff I use a couple of those little silica pouches (you get them as part of the packaging with smaller electrical/tech goods and some leather products etc) inside a ziplock bag to suck out any moisture and they weigh next to nothing.

Anne100

Jul 14, 2013
California.
Camino del Norte, Sept.-Nov. (2013)
I've always used trash compactor bags as pack liners. They are lightweight, inexpensive and easy to replace, and very nice to have when the rain starts more suddenly than you can get out your pack cover. I use two: one for the inside of the pack and one for my down sleeping bag. So far I haven't had to replace either on my Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Kennedy1

May 30, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Camino Frances - May & June 2013
Camino Finisterre and Camino Muxia - June 2013
I walked the CF this past spring ( it was very cold and wet) and I used a three step approach. I used a pack cover which worked quite well. In training for the walk I found even with the pack cover that the the side of the pack that was next to my back would get wet and the clothes inside would be damp so I did use a light weigh garbage bag as a pack liner and it worked very well. It had a drawstring top so everything was dry. I also thought that this would be an added protection against bugs getting into my clothes and gear. Lastly I organized all my clothes and things into smaller water resistant bags. This made it very easy to find things and all my clothes and gear were totally dry the whole trip .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Irène Elisabet

St Benedict Ora Pro Nobis!
Aug 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Frances (2014)
Ehm, they are not backback liners in the sense we use the word here ;-) They are meant to be used in a paint sprayer you carry on your back and are far too small: 3.8 x 3.1 x 1 inches
I simply use a couple of thick (heavy duty) rubbish bags, one smaller one to give my sleeping bag extra protection and one bigger one for the rest of my belongings. Really important stuff like passport ect goes additionally in ziplock bags. Don't underestimate the rain! Buen Camino!, SY

Sorry, initially didn't remember where I bought them and the ones on Amazon were the closest I found!

A quick search on Google and I found them at Gossamer Gear - totally forgot about that place - anyway here's the correct link:

http://gossamergear.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=liner

I apologize for the confusion of my previous post :)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.