• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack liners

brawblether

Time of past OR future Camino
June/Jul 2012; Feb 2014
Just working out the logistics of using a pack liner (bin bag or otherwise) when walking in the winter season. Do people just leave their stuff in the liner all the time or only use it occasionally? Doesn't it create a lot of noise rustling around in the albergues?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Most hiking shops should have dry bags. They tend to come in different sizes. The ones normally used for hiking aren't perfectly water proof. So if you throw the pack into the river they aren't the choice. The ones aimed at water sport are more water proof.

I think most people do things in stages.

1) Stuff that must stay dry. Paperwork. matches. Electronics. Clean dry clothes to change into.

2) extra clothes.

3) Dirty clothes

In my expierence they don't make noise in the pack. But I guess if you're pulling them out of the pack and opening the velcro seal they'll create noise.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I go with @NicoZ . The real problem it's to know whether if the dry bag it's really waterproof or not. I think that, you could do a combination of 3 in 1 if you wish. So, for example, you could really buy a dry brack from a trekking shop, then you can add a cover pack for your pack and, if you think that it's still necessary, you could add a poncho. I think that with this, you will not have any problems with water entering in you backpack :D

Best Regards
Diogo

Zip-lock plastic bags work great! They are cheap, come in various sizes and are also a wonderful way to organize your clothes, etc. I usually pack about 5 extra bags in case of need.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Zip-lock plastic bags work great! They are cheap, come in various sizes and are also a wonderful way to organize your clothes, etc. I usually pack about 5 extra bags in case of need.

Forget to say that this is what I use. :p

Before you zip them, fold them has an envelope, and then you can expel the air out from the bag, making them to loose a part from their occupied space.

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
I'm not sure why a liner is even necessary for a "civilized" (i.e., no primitive, backcountry camping) hike like the Camino?
You won't be fording rivers or pitching a tent in snow.

Stuff sacks (not necessarily waterproof) and an assortment of ziplocks are great for organization, but waterproofing is not really necessary.

In the rain/snow, I walk with either a backpackers poncho or an umbrella. So I guess, if your intention is to walk in inclement weather with a rain jacket and pack cover, where some rain/snow may get between your pack and your back, maybe a liner is good extra protection?

If so, a good choice is a trash-compactor bag for a full bag liner. Cheaper choice than "official" dry sacks, and stronger for the long haul than regular garbage bags. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D50OU8/?tag=casaivar02-20

Yes, you would just leave it in your bag, and organize individual gear groups within it in ziplocks or cloth bags.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ha, I should have know there would be a range of approaches! My backpack is canvas so I won't be taking an exterior cover, I do, however, think it would be wise to have my items inside enclosed as an added layer of protection. I have no plans whatsoever to swim with it on so it's only to protect from the rain. I also rather suspect if it's torrential I'll find shelter until it had passed.

Thanks for all your replies, I will have a play around with compartmental packing in a mixture of ziplock bags and something a bit larger for clothes.

I got these for my husband and I - they are slightly heavier feeling than a garbage bag, not very noisy but there's no closure at the top. Not sure we'll need one. We also are using backpack waterproof exterior covers. Here's the link to the liner - would appreciate any feedback if they are good or not:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004TUD9/?tag=casaivar02-20

I got these for my husband and I - they are slightly heavier feeling than a garbage bag, not very noisy but there's no closure at the top. Not sure we'll need one. We also are using backpack waterproof exterior covers. Here's the link to the liner - would appreciate any feedback if they are good or not:

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Power-Products-0272130-Backpack/dp/B00004TUD9/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382311148&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=ultralite backpack liner

The link is to some sort of power painting tool? Is it the right size for your backpack?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Power-Products-0272130-Backpack/dp/B00004TUD9/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382311148&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=ultralite backpack liner

Ehm, they are not backback liners in the sense we use the word here ;-) They are meant to be used in a paint sprayer you carry on your back and are far too small: 3.8 x 3.1 x 1 inches
I simply use a couple of thick (heavy duty) rubbish bags, one smaller one to give my sleeping bag extra protection and one bigger one for the rest of my belongings. Really important stuff like passport ect goes additionally in ziplock bags. Don't underestimate the rain! Buen Camino!, SY

Ziplock bags are super and I use a green garden rubbish bag that is little more durable than a bin liner (some of the latter are quite flimsy). For important stuff I use a couple of those little silica pouches (you get them as part of the packaging with smaller electrical/tech goods and some leather products etc) inside a ziplock bag to suck out any moisture and they weigh next to nothing.

I've always used trash compactor bags as pack liners. They are lightweight, inexpensive and easy to replace, and very nice to have when the rain starts more suddenly than you can get out your pack cover. I use two: one for the inside of the pack and one for my down sleeping bag. So far I haven't had to replace either on my Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used karrimor dry waterproof sacks and they have the added advantage of being compression sacks so your stuff takes up much less space. I did the camino with a 33l rucksack so this was a great bonus.

I walked the CF this past spring ( it was very cold and wet) and I used a three step approach. I used a pack cover which worked quite well. In training for the walk I found even with the pack cover that the the side of the pack that was next to my back would get wet and the clothes inside would be damp so I did use a light weigh garbage bag as a pack liner and it worked very well. It had a drawstring top so everything was dry. I also thought that this would be an added protection against bugs getting into my clothes and gear. Lastly I organized all my clothes and things into smaller water resistant bags. This made it very easy to find things and all my clothes and gear were totally dry the whole trip .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ehm, they are not backback liners in the sense we use the word here ;-) They are meant to be used in a paint sprayer you carry on your back and are far too small: 3.8 x 3.1 x 1 inches
I simply use a couple of thick (heavy duty) rubbish bags, one smaller one to give my sleeping bag extra protection and one bigger one for the rest of my belongings. Really important stuff like passport ect goes additionally in ziplock bags. Don't underestimate the rain! Buen Camino!, SY

Sorry, initially didn't remember where I bought them and the ones on Amazon were the closest I found!

A quick search on Google and I found them at Gossamer Gear - totally forgot about that place - anyway here's the correct link:

http://gossamergear.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=liner

I apologize for the confusion of my previous post :)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.