Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it


Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Packing for Late-April Rain

megan_&_jeff

New Member
Hi guys -

We are walking the final 3rd of the Camino Frances (Ponferrada - SdC) at the end of April (leaving from Ponferrada on the 18th)
It will be our first time on the Camino :)
We were told to pack light, and presently plan on light jackets, shorts, t shirt, and one lightweight pair of pants... however, we have looked up the weather forcast and noticed that rain is scheduled for practically the entire walk...
Any suggestions for packing, for those that have done this leg, in the rain?

Also, how likely is the availability of showers/laundry along the way?

Thanks so much, and hoping to see many of you out there, from what it sounds like :)

Buen Camino!

Megan/Jeff
 
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
D

Deleted member 3000

Guest
Showers everywhere. Laundry is done by hand generally, but with rain it often won't dry. Drying machines are available in about 10% of the albergues. You will get used to the rain; lots of times it is more a mist than a rain, but there may be heavy stretches. Expect it and take it in stride.
 

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
Don't pack too light for April-May.... it might be quite cold in places, especially for over O-Cebreiro. So take layers of light clothing that you can use for warmth. And enjoy!
Margaret
 

jeff001

Active Member
I found the best way to deal with the rain was to wear a pair of light weight nylon pants over a nylon swimsuit that doubled as sleepware. Both dried very quickly. Be sure to take some zip-lock type plastic bags to keep the things in your pack dry. The sandwich size ones are good for keeping your money and passport dry while still being handy in your pocket.
 

megan_&_jeff

New Member
jeff001 said:
I found the best way to deal with the rain was to wear a pair of light weight nylon pants over a nylon swimsuit that doubled as sleepware. Both dried very quickly. Be sure to take some zip-lock type plastic bags to keep the things in your pack dry. The sandwich size ones are good for keeping your money and passport dry while still being handy in your pocket.

Thanks for the ideas - i think we we deffinitely be packing all essentials in plastic bags to avoid disasterous damage to money/passports/etc...

We are mostly concerned about getting lost in low visibility and getting our socks soaked... we both have hiking boots, but once the tops get soaked, it just spreads from there...
We are decidedly going to be cheery in any weather - but being better prepared always helps!

Thanks again!

Megan (and Jeff)
 
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.

megan_&_jeff

New Member
falcon269 said:
Showers everywhere. Laundry is done by hand generally, but with rain it often won't dry. Drying machines are available in about 10% of the albergues. You will get used to the rain; lots of times it is more a mist than a rain, but there may be heavy stretches. Expect it and take it in stride.[/quote/]

Should we be carrying detergent of some kind - for the particularly dirt laundry days? For mud?

Thanks for the info :) We will most certainly take rain as simply an additive tot he experience :)
 

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
An ALTUS raincoat-poncho will keep you and your backpack dry - no chance of rain getting into your stuff. A good pair of gaiters-cum-spats will keep your socks and boots dry too. I made a pair out of an old raincoat and they are great. You can make them longer to cover the lower part of your trousers. I used velcro on mine rather than buttons.
They are also great in good weather to keep all the bits of grass and seeds out of your socks.
 

Attachments

  • spats.jpg
    spats.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,059
  • spats1.jpg
    spats1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,053

megan_&_jeff

New Member
sillydoll said:
An ALTUS raincoat-poncho will keep you and your backpack dry - no chance of rain getting into your stuff. A good pair of gaiters-cum-spats will keep your socks and boots dry too. I made a pair out of an old raincoat and they are great. You can make them longer to cover the lower part of your trousers. I used velcro on mine rather than buttons.
They are also great in good weather to keep all the bits of grass and seeds out of your socks.




Thank you - these are great ideas - will get on that tomorrow (last day before leaving France for the camino)

Megan
 

amgirl5

Member
Hi,

You've probably already started, but another idea is to line the inside of your packs with a garbage bag and then put your stuff in the bag. Even if you use a pack cover, sometimes it rains so hard the pack still gets wet. Nice to have the dry clothes at the end of the day ;) I love rain pants! (oh, and the gaitors are my new favorite thing. Keep your pants and socks from getting muddy.)

Liz
 

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
amgirl5 said:
Hi,

You've probably already started, but another idea is to line the inside of your packs with a garbage bag and then put your stuff in the bag. Even if you use a pack cover, sometimes it rains so hard the pack still gets wet. Nice to have the dry clothes at the end of the day ;) I love rain pants! (oh, and the gaitors are my new favorite thing. Keep your pants and socks from getting muddy.)

Liz
Here in New Zealand where we have lots of rain in our mountains (!!) people regularly use 'pack liners' inside their packs, and these are large very strong plastic bags. I cut two of these down to go in my pack, one for the top part of my pack, and one for the lower part. They lasted perfectly for the nearly three months it took me to go from Le Puy to Santiago. Sometimes people used to worry when they saw me in the pouring rain without a pack cover, but I used to have to tell them to relax..... I had pack liners. And sure enough, none of my gear ever got wet, even when my whole pack got thoroughly saturated!
Margaret
 
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
15,019
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads
7,680
Updated
Profile maps of all 34 stages of the Camino Frances ivar
Profile maps of all 34 stages of the Camino Frances
4.88 star(s) 24 ratings
Downloads
7,526
Updated

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
Top