• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing list : How to keep your feet dry in case of Heavy rain - A Cheap and light weight hack

Salty

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning : Camino Frances - Oct 2022
Plastic bags are good to put over your socks to keep feet dry in wet weather. Bring 2 light weight plastic produce bags, the type you get from the grocery store, when you buy fruit or veggies. Or any other type of plastic bag should work as well. When it’s raining hard, put one plastic bag over your thin sock and then put on another sock. So it means, put the plastic bag between 2 pairs of socks. You can wear it over your socks too. This will keep your feet dry in very wet weather. Take the plastic bag off once the rain storm is over.

How to dry very wet shoes : Bring a few rolled up newspaper sheets or some paper towels. Crumble up the paper and stuff it inside your shoes, it will dry out over night.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just don't be anywhere near me when you take your shoes and socks off because inside those plastic bags your feet will be sweaty and putrid.

Feet need air.

If you wear good wool socks then your temporarily wet shoes and socks will dry as you walk if they can breathe.

Plastic bags are good to put over your socks to keep feet dry in wet weather. Bring 2 light weight plastic produce bags, the type you get from the grocery store, when you buy fruit or veggies. Or any other type of plastic bag should work as well. When it’s raining hard, put one plastic bag over your thin sock and then put on another sock. So it means, put the plastic bag between 2 pairs of socks. You can wear it over your socks too. This will keep your feet dry in very wet weather. Take the plastic bag off once the rain storm is over.

How to dry very wet shoes : Bring a few rolled up newspaper sheets or some paper towels. Crumble up the paper and stuff it inside your shoes, it will dry out over night.
I'm sorry if I sound sceptical, but have you actually done this?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have done this - walking in a couple of days of constant rain in Scotland. It does keep your feet dry. But I did find it felt a bit too weird. Kind of slippery inside your shoes. And eventually I just didn’t bother. That said, if someone were really concerned about not getting wet feet (maybe trying to protect doctored blisters) it could help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My experience tells me that wet feet for an extended period are more likely to blister than dry feet, even in perfectly fitting boots or shoes; but I am not sure that I would resort to plastic bags. In my book, waterproof socks are a good option, although I keep only one pair with me and use them only as required. However, we are all different in our approaches and our experiences, so I would not entirely discount other people's ideas.. Tom

Not a good idea, maybe when you were little playing in the snow. Your feet will sweat and move inside the shoe causing a blister and stink. Your boots will however be soaked and in need of news papers to attempt drying them over night. Wet feet is inevitable if it rains and you wear poncho or rain gear.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

A pair of sealskinz socks. Keeps your feet dry and warm. Bit expensive but I have worn them during my time in the military and much much better than putting plastic bags on.

Wear wool or "smartwool" socks and just keep walking. If you walk shin deep, you're wet. If you walk all day in the rain, you're wet.
It doesn't matter to be wet if you have good socks.
I walked in 40 degree water up to my shins, just this morning. In 5 minutes, I was no longer cold. Made no difference in the rest of my day of walking.
I am a "Darn Tough Socks" fan, but there are other good socks out there as well.

I was afraid, when I read the title of this thread, that feet inside plastic bags would be the suggestion.

IMHO, this is not a good idea.

I walked my first Camino from SJPdP to SdC in non-stop wet weather for 3 of the 5 weeks. Were my feet wet every day? Yes. Was it hard to avoid blisters? Yes, again.

However, the longer I walked, the more I learned about how to avoid blisters. My boots dried out completely every night, as did my socks and clothes, of course.

Growing up in snowy New England, we sometimes used those plastic bags which newspapers came in (remember newspapers?) on our feet before putting on boots. But, trust me, it was uncomfortable and definitely not a solution for the long haul. Maybe one snowball fight, tops.

I do not recommend waterproof boots for the same reason.

If it is really rainy, you may need to modify the amount of walking you do in a day. Layers of socks, including sock liners and/or Injinji socks (those socks with the toes), breathable boots, common sense to not walk more than your body tells you is truly reasonable under the conditions, I would always recommend that rather than plastic bags over your feet for the day.

Just my $0.02.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As mentioned earlier your feet will sweat and soak your socks if they are in a bag. So during warm weather it really isn't much of a help. In a really cold rain or walking through wet snow it is a help though because the cold water on the outside of the bag cannot displace the warm sweat you collect in your socks.

I carried a pair of 'seal skinz' waterproof socks with me on the VDLP earlier this year. It poured down one day - unfortunately I forgot to put them on. By the middle of the day my feet, socks and shoes were soaked. I managed to find a shelter to put the waterproof socks on and what a difference - wonderful. Highly recommended - just remember to put them on.

I don't know if the one who posted this has done it but I have actually done it with two plastic bags from Rice Cakes (they fit nicely) after I was caught with wet shoes in the cold morning (there was no newspaper to dry them the night before and nothing else to help). I only had the socks inside, none outside, and it was perfect with the bags!!! Laugh all you can but my shoes were dry by mid-morning and then I removed the bags... Believe me, I had a few jealous people around me...

Everything you’re saying is what we used to do when I was a little kid growing up in Chicago and went out to play in the snow after school. I’m not sure about walking long distances with that stuff… If it’s really wet, the wetness comes in from above, and you’ll perspire under the plastic anyway…

"... feet dry in case of Heavy rain."
If you really care about this, just find a shelter ... heavy rain usually doesn't last long.
Otherwise continue walking Camino visualising that pretty soon you will find yourself in a cozy place among your fellow pilgrims, in front of a glass of wine or something.. :)

"... feet dry in case of Heavy rain."
If you really care about this, just find a shelter ... heavy rain usually doesn't last long.
Otherwise continue walking Camino visualising that pretty soon you will find yourself in a cozy place among your fellow pilgrims, in front of a glass of wine or something.. :)
I was caught in heavy rain that would not stop between Orisson and Roncesvalles. Arrived with absolutely soaking shoes. Used the bags with dry socks in the morning and they saved me!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I was caught in heavy rain that would not stop between Orisson and Roncesvalles. Arrived with absolutely soaking shoes. Used the bags with dry socks in the morning and they saved me!
Sorry to hear wet feet made you uncomfortable :( Still, I believe such events are inevitable part of the game... perhaps I may be wrong, but speaking for myself the modern pilgrimage is a great deal of getting out of the comfort zone ..

“If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it’s lethal.” – Paulo Coelho

Sorry to hear wet feet made you uncomfortable :( Still, I believe such events are inevitable part of the game... perhaps I may be wrong, but speaking for myself the modern pilgrimage is a great deal of getting out of the comfort zone ..

I am quite happy to endure rain and wet feet on the way, but I am not a masochist and if I can keep my feet dry the next morning instead of stepping in soaking wet, cold shoes and end up sick, I will do what I can to keep my tootsies dry.

I am quite happy to endure rain and wet feet on the way, but I am not a masochist and if I can keep my feet dry the next morning instead of stepping in soaking wet, cold shoes and end up sick, I will do what I can to keep my tootsies dry.
Right..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
These discussions can be so fascinating!!!
Plastic bags are good to put over your socks to keep feet dry in wet weather.
when I was a little kid
This is something fun to try. Every adult should try things like this some time. It is one of the joys of the Camino that we find ourselves doing things that we hadn't done since childhood.

If it works for you, great. If not, you have not made a big investment! I think I tried it once but found the slippery bags to be annoying.

speaking for myself the modern pilgrimage is a great deal of getting out of the comfort zone ..

Exactly! Perhaps you should live dangerously and put those plastic bags on your feet, just once in your life!

end up sick
People don't get sick any more due to wet feet. Apparently they did in the past. 🙃

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

This works fine if it's not too cold outside, but one's outer socks still could get wet resulting in wet inner socks (from body moisture condensation). To avoid this, especially in colder environments use two bags per foot, place the first bag over the sock that's against your skin and the second bag over your outer, insulating sock(s). The inner bag serves as a vapor barrier preventing body moisture from reaching your insulating socks where it might condense. The outer bag prevents outside water from reaching your insulating socks.

The same practice can be applied to gloves/mittens, other clothing and sleeping bags, keeping one considerably warmer in cold environments. A potential down side in cold weather is one's inner layer can get clammy or wet from trapped body moisture, especially when exercising, but main insulating layers will stay dry which is vital in survival conditions.

Smart wool socks! I’ve walked days on end in rain all day in the Norte and although feet were wet I didn’t feel that they were wet. IMHO Plastic bags I’m sure would slide around in shoes and risk ankle twisting.

Smart wool socks! I’ve walked days on end in rain all day in the Norte and although feet were wet I didn’t feel that they were wet. IMHO Plastic bags I’m sure would slide around in shoes and risk ankle twisting.
Have hiked for years in Sierra winters using plastic bags for vapor and water barrier, no problem sliding around. Also when bicycling. It conceivably could cause a problem with loose shoes.

Agree wool socks, and wool clothing in general, is better than many other fibers when wet, but better still when dry.

IMHO, this is not a good idea.

I couldn't agree more...
Using plastic bags over your feet would be ideal in a survival situation, but for walking a Camino not so much.
If it's a torrential rainfall maybe bivouac under a tree for a while and wait out the storm. No use creating problems with blisters etc... when you have many more miles (KM's) ahead of you.

I wore sealskin waterproof socks for about 6 hours in torrential rain in non waterproof trail runners and my feet were dry!!! (and the water ran down my legs cos i wore a rain kilt!)
I changed out my socks when it stopped raining and put on fresh darn toughs; my shoes were dry after approx another hour of walking.
Woody

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I couldn't agree more...
Using plastic bags over your feet would be ideal in a survival situation, but for walking a Camino not so much.
If it's a torrential rainfall maybe bivouac under a tree for a while and wait out the storm. No use creating problems with blisters etc... when you have many more miles (KM's) ahead of you.
Bagged feet may sound odd but I and many others have been doing this routinely for decades in situations ranging from rainy hikes with stream crossings to winter backpacking on skis and snowshoes - results: dry socks, warm feet, no blisters, no discomfort. Provided one uses thin bags and arranges them for comfort (minimize bunching, fold the excess smoothly), one forgets they are there. Stretchy bags help, thin vegetable bags and bread bags work well, the bags aren't stressed much.

Waiting out a storm under a tree is risky if there's any chance of lightening - the best advice is to get indoors if one can. One can read up on how to minimize risks of lightening and hypothermia. The latter can occur in temperatures over 70F as when wet in summer, especially in wind, but with reasonable preparation it usually can be avoided.

Everything you’re saying is what we used to do when I was a little kid growing up in Chicago and went out to play in the snow after school. I’m not sure about walking long distances with that stuff… If it’s really wet, the wetness comes in from above, and you’ll perspire under the plastic anyway…
I also grew up in midwest winters, we didn't use plastic bags as kids, just wore rubber pull over boots and suffered numb feet in winter, but since the early 70's have used bags to keep vital insulating layers, like socks, dry when feet were likely to be wet for long periods - they've worked well in all conditions, summer, winter mountaineering, cycling in rain (wind chill!), 8-10hrs at a time. We don't use them in dry weather, of course, but In conditions that where footwear will soak through we go to the bags and have never had a problem.

It's amazing how resistant some are to "novel" ideas they apparently never have tried.

It's amazing how resistant some are to "novel" ideas they apparently never have tried.
And how some people come up with very old things as new 'hacks' ( :rolleyes: why not just say tips? Perhaps it wouldn't sound so trendy or something.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.