• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing list outline

caminoforme86

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances October 2013 - December 2013
I am going on my Camino Frances starting from SJPdP on 31st of October

Today I have been thinking about packing,
I don't have much time between now and the start of Camino as I go home to Scotland for one day next week and then away again for 25days just before it. I will have about 4 days to get things ready for it before I go so trying to do as much planning from online and trying to remember what all I have at home.

I don't have much in the way of warm winter clothes such as base layers so if I may outline what I have come up with for my pack and anyone feel free to chip in of big no no's!

Wearing:
1x Base layer long sleeve top
1x Fleece - light weight or perhaps Gilet is better?
1x Jacket - thin gortex and light weight
1x Sports bra
1x Smart wool socks
1x Liner sock
1x Thermal base layer trousers (?)
1x Cord trousers (wore them last year to travel and very comfortable - downside no side pockets)
1x Walking boots (Scarpa - quiet heavy but was happy with them last year for travelling Europe, will get a month in them before I go again)

Carrying:
http://www.craigdonmountainsports.com/lowe-alpine-tfx-nuptse-nd60-75-rucksack
1x Light weight sleeping bag 700g
1x Sleeping bag liner (will perhaps pass on this)
1x Base layer top short sleeve
1x Smart wool socks
1x Liner socks
1x Waterproof trousers (have worn them in the past on their own while dog walking in very heavy rain, not the nicest but once before they didn't keep my trousers as dry as I had hoped, so if wore with base layer thermal trousers would dry quicker and would only require one pair of normal trousers???)
1x Bra
1x Tshirt (sleeping in)
1x Underwear pants
1x Sandals
1x Hat
1x Gloves

Small first aid kit - blister patches/plasters/imodium
Small Shampoo/Conditioner 2in1
Light weight quick drying towel
Mascara/Foundation stick
Camera/Charger
iPhone/Charger
Pen and notepad
Water bottle (planning to get when in France and just use plastic 2x 500ml??
Walking poles

Thanks guys

A selection of Camino Jewellery
P.s I know my pack is big, it is around 2kg, but I have enjoyed carrying it around Europe and have not felt it uncomfortable when walking for hours trying to locate hostels. I don't want to go out and buy a new lighter one in the fear it won't be as comfortable as this one I am used to.

Check out packing list others here on the forum have taken and compare with yours.

Try to travel as light as possible but don't forget essentials.

You can always buy things along the way as you need then ( credit cards is a must).

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A few quick thoughts:
  • do you plan to carry a guidebook or maps?
  • I normally carry three pairs of socks in case I want to change out of wet socks during the day.
  • you might want to consider keeping the sleeping bag liner both as an extra insulation layer, and if the heating is turned up in an albergue (it happens) you might not want to use the sleeping bag.
  • if you are not going to use a water bladder, re-use the plastic bottles you purchase water in rather than buy a strong water bottle. Even the very lightweight bottles I have seen recently in the UK will last for many refills provided they are not too roughly handled. I carry a much bigger bladder because I know that I sweat a lot. In other walking I do, I can use nearly a 700-1000ml an hour in hot conditions, and on the CF, I refilled a 3li bladder twice on Route Valcarlos. I would be inclined to carry more, even if it was as little as using two 750ml bottles.
  • I got rid of thermal base layers after the Pyrenees, but I was walking in Apr, and into the warmer months.
  • I have commented elsewhere about your pack. Discipline is required to constrain the growth of your packing list because there is room to fit something more in.
Regards,

Doug's idea about the third pair of socks seems like a good idea and I plan to do that as well.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I dont know much about the weight of Mascara but it cant be much less then a pair of socks???

Sorry Dougf, I don't agree about re using plastic containers for water,they are one of the reasons people become ill,full of the wrong sort of bacteria,I can sterilize my ally containers with boiling water, you cant do that with plastic.Also it is environmently irresponsible to use them, the plastic litter along the tracks is disgusting.As far as I'm concerned ,they should be banned from ANY walking track........Just my opinion:eek:..........Vicrev

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do you have soap? Small packs of tissues? Basic medication such as some tablets of imodium, ibuprofen,etc ? Matches or a lighter to start a fireplace or propane flame ?

MUCH has been written about camino equipment and kit. It can often be either amazing or amusing to see what some pilgrims attempt to lug. (On my first camino for sentimental reasons I carried a beloved stuffed moose!! We both made it to Santiago but once with a moose is enough.)

After all my caminos here is my actual autumn/winter kit; most was bought at Decathlon which is a large medium price sports store chain throughout Europe.

I wear;
thin waterproof jacket,
runner's winter tights,
short sleeve technical undershirt,
long sleeve technical over-shirt,
underwear,
hiking socks,
hiking boots with inner soles,
money-belt with passport and credit card.

I carry;
walking stick,
30 liter backpack with waterproof cover,
sleeping bag/ silk liner,
poncho,
fleece scarf, hat, gloves,
fleece/polar jacket,
second pair runner's winter tights,
second short sleeve technical tee shirt,
second long sleeve technical tee shirt,
long sleeve thermal undershirt,
two sets underwear,
second pair hiking socks,
pair night socks,
sandals for relaxing,
gaiters for snow,
small size basic toiletries and medicines,
small thin towel (ie. seersucker dish towel!),
diary and pen,
headlight,
liter plastic water bottle,
food bag with -
..tea bags,
..instant soup packs,
..firm cheese,
..chocolate,
..matches,
..utensils and cup,
..water heating coil,
Nokia N82 smartphone and charger (has good 5mp camera and serves as computer for blogging).

total carried 6.5 kilos!! BINGO!

Margaret Meredith

Sorry Dougf, I don't agree about re using plastic containers for water,they are one of the reasons people become ill,full of the wrong sort of bacteria,I can sterilize my ally containers with boiling water, you cant do that with plastic.Also it is environmently irresponsible to use them, the plastic litter along the tracks is disgusting.As far as I'm concerned ,they should be banned from ANY walking track........Just my opinion:eek:..........Vicrev
I don't think that there is any food or water container that shouldn't be properly washed and dried between uses. For a water container, that might be every day or so.

I didn't suggest that anyone dispose of them irresponsibly. If they are being carried and refilled, it seems unlikely that they will just be tossed away. Its not their use that is irresponsible, but not disposing of them correctly.

I prefer a bladder, but other family members have used plastic bottles for multi-day trips, and we disposed of them properly at the end, and not on the track. We also pick up other peoples litter if we have space to carry it out, which sometime happens on day walk tracks locally, but not really that often. On Milford Track this year, we didn't see any litter along the track, and we carried all our own rubbish out.

I wouldn't be railing against the bottles, but against the behaviour of those that dispose of them irresponsibly.

Regards,

I'm hardly railing against plastic bottles......If plastic bottles did not exist, they would not be thrown away irresponsibly,doesn't take much working out !!!............Vicrev

I'm hardly railing against plastic bottles......If plastic bottles did not exist, they would not be thrown away irresponsibly,doesn't take much working out !!!............Vicrev
Neither does it take much working out that they can be used safely and environmentally responsibly. Wash them and don't toss them.

I do have a reusable 1000ml water container, but after reading what others have done I for me feel that the two 500ml plastic bottles will work well. And no I won't be tossing them away.

I've never had a problem at home on using a plastic bottle for say up to a week or so, refilling it every day and rinsing it out, (not with boiled water just normal, hardly enviromentally responsible to fill a kettle and boil it when it is just going to get tossed away). I've drank alot worse than water from a re used bottle when I've been on previous walks and camping trips.

Thank you for all the other suggestions, I was going to use the shampoo/conditioner as soap, have done this in the past while in hostels and found it worked well for me and my clothes! But the small pack of tissues! I will be adding!

This is just my outline and it's great when others chip in their bit so I can see what I really need and don't really need. I shall include an extra pair of socks as last year my feet did get sweaty walking in my boots for long periods of the day. I have included immodium to my first aid kit but I will add a little sleeve of ibuprofen. Apart from that I have no regular medication to carry.

I still have to buy my base layers and will do the same get them from a medium priced sports outlet! Or perhaps have a look while still in Poland as we have Decathalon here :)

Thanks again guys

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you have soap? Small packs of tissues? Basic medication such as some tablets of imodium, ibuprofen,etc ? Matches or a lighter to start a fireplace or propane flame ?

MUCH has been written about camino equipment and kit. It can often be either amazing or amusing to see what some pilgrims attempt to lug. (On my first camino for sentimental reasons I carried a beloved stuffed moose!! We both made it to Santiago but once with a moose is enough.)

After all my caminos here is my actual autumn/winter kit; most was bought at Decathlon which is a large medium price sports store chain throughout Europe.

I wear;
thin waterproof jacket,
runner's winter tights,
short sleeve technical undershirt,
long sleeve technical over-shirt,
underwear,
hiking socks,
hiking boots with inner soles,
money-belt with passport and credit card.

I carry;
walking stick,
30 liter backpack with waterproof cover,
sleeping bag/ silk liner,
poncho,
fleece scarf, hat, gloves,
fleece/polar jacket,
second pair runner's winter tights,
second short sleeve technical tee shirt,
second long sleeve technical tee shirt,
long sleeve thermal undershirt,
two sets underwear,
second pair hiking socks,
pair night socks,
sandals for relaxing,
gaiters for snow,
small size basic toiletries and medicines,
small thin towel (ie. seersucker dish towel!),
diary and pen,
headlight,
liter plastic water bottle,
food bag with -
..tea bags,
..instant soup packs,
..firm cheese,
..chocolate,
..matches,
..utensils and cup,
..water heating coil,
Nokia N82 smartphone and charger (has good 5mp camera and serves as computer for blogging).

total carried 6.5 kilos!! BINGO!

Margaret Meredith

Hi Margaret,

Did you just use the runners winters tights and that was it? Were these merino wool ones? And obvioulsy as you have lots of experience they must have kept you warm enough?

Hi mspath........I just can't help myself asking, was the stuffed moose full size ?????.........;);)..........Vicrev

Not full size but as bulky as my sleeping bag! The moose, known as Mo, shortened from Mousse au chocolat, was a large toy which long ago I gave to my father for his 90th birthday. After my father’s death Mo came back to me. In 2004 he traveled within a stuff sack deep in my knapsack. Although disguised as my ‘pillow’ he was in truth my silent confidante during that first challenging camino.

MM

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Margaret,

Did you just use the runners winters tights and that was it? Were these merino wool ones? And obvioulsy as you have lots of experience they must have kept you warm enough?
One pair at a time that was it! Made of polyester/elastane blend like runners' tights. Read this description from the Decathlon catalogue.

MM

Thanks for the info mspath,I have a very wierd imagination,to say the least,I had this mental picture of you dragging this full size stuffed moose on wheels over mountains etc etc.............as he was, he must have made a great confidante !!!..........:):)...........Vicrev

One pair at a time that was it! Made of polyester/elastane blend like runners' tights. Read this description from the Decathlon catalogue.

MM

Thanks Margaret, this will help cut down on my pack weight greatly! And perhaps won't need my waterpoof trousers either :) I have used similar during cycling but only 3/4 lenth and not thermal.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for all the other suggestions, I was going to use the shampoo/conditioner as soap, have done this in the past while in hostels and found it worked well for me and my clothes! But the small pack of tissues! I will be adding!
On the Camino I always use my shampoo as soap and wash liquid. :)
Tissues:- While in Scotland it might be possible to buy the travel toilet roll by Andrex. No centre tube, just rolled paper (50 sheets) in a little plastic bag/dispenser. Fits in a pocket and lasts for ages as paper hankie or where there is no paper in the 'facilties'.
Buen Camino

by all means bring the mascare and maybe a tinted lip balm as well, not much weight compared to how nice they make you feel after a long hot/coud/dusty/wet/whatever day on the camino....

says she who insteded on wearing big hoop earrings and bling bracelets for the about 1000 K so far

I do have a reusable 1000ml water container, but after reading what others have done I for me feel that the two 500ml plastic bottles will work well. And no I won't be tossing them away.

I've never had a problem at home on using a plastic bottle for say up to a week or so, refilling it every day and rinsing it out, (not with boiled water just normal, hardly enviromentally responsible to fill a kettle and boil it when it is just going to get tossed away). I've drank alot worse than water from a re used bottle when I've been on previous walks and camping trips.

This is just my outline and it's great when others chip in their bit so I can see what I really need and don't really need. I shall include an extra pair of socks as last year my feet did get sweaty walking in my boots for long periods of the day. I have included immodium to my first aid kit but I will add a little sleeve of ibuprofen. Apart from that I have no regular medication to carry.

I still have to buy my base layers and will do the same get them from a medium priced sports outlet! Or perhaps have a look while still in Poland as we have Decathalon here :)

Thanks again guys
I keep seeing immodium on peoples list to take. Are there really issues that it is needed? I just have not read much about it on the Camino. Thanks!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
yes and no, you wont get a really bad stomach due to unhygenic food on the Camino but different cultures also means different food culture sometimes literally as in the bacteria cultural sense, and while issues are likely to be minor you don't know if the foreign food sits well with you and you DO NOT want to risk the runs while walking in the middle of nowhere with 15k to the next bathroom, so better safe than sorry...

never leave home without them is my motto

I keep seeing immodium on peoples list to take. Are there really issues that it is needed? I just have not read much about it on the Camino. Thanks!!!

Imodium is an anti-diarrheal remedy sold over the counter in both France and Spain. Of course one hopes that a dose will not be necessary and, of course, one might wait to buy it only if and when it were necessary. Personally, however, I now carry it; just imagine trying to find a farmacia while stricken and crossing the Meseta or trudging off to Calzaldilla de la Cueza? For me it is better to be prepared.

MM
http://mermore.blogspot.fr/2011/04/calzadilla-de-la-cueza.html

Don,t forget toilet roll.

yes and no, you wont get a really bad stomach due to unhygenic food on the Camino but different cultures also means different food culture sometimes literally as in the bacteria cultural sense, and while issues are likely to be minor you don't know if the foreign food sits well with you and you DO NOT want to risk the runs while walking in the middle of nowhere with 15k to the next bathroom, so better safe than sorry...

I understand now. Thanks!! I will comply....

Imodium is an anti-diarrheal remedy sold over the counter in both France and Spain. Of course one hopes that a dose will not be necessary and, of course, one might wait to buy it only if and when it were necessary. Personally, however, I now carry it; just imagine trying to find a farmacia while stricken and crossing the Meseta or trudging off to Calzaldilla de la Cueza? For me it is better to be prepared.

MM
Sounds like I need to add it to my list of what to take. Thank you!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

This is often referred to as traveller's diarrhoea - the different bacteria are not what your body is used to, and it responds accordingly. Keep travelling, and you will amass sufficient new and interesting food experiences, and suffer this less often! In my first few years of regular overseas travel, I would get it, now I rarely do.

Mind you, I still carry a remedy just in case.

Regards,

This is often referred to as traveller's diarrhoea - the different bacteria are not what your body is used to, and it responds accordingly. Keep travelling, and you will amass sufficient new and interesting food experiences, and suffer this less often! In my first few years of regular overseas travel, I would get it, now I rarely do.

Mind you, I still carry a remedy just in case.

Regards,
Thanks Doug. I intend to add it to my pack....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I don't have much time between now and the start of Camino as I go home to Scotland for one day next week and then away again for 25days just before it. I will have about 4 days to get things ready for it before I go so trying to do as much planning from online and trying to remember what all I have at home.

I don't have much in the way of warm winter clothes such as base layers so if I may outline what I have come up with for my pack and anyone feel free to chip in of big no no's!

Wearing:
1x Sports bra
1x Smart wool socks
1x Liner sock
1x Cord trousers (wore them last year to travel and very comfortable - downside no side pockets)
1x Walking boots (Scarpa - quiet heavy but was happy with them last year for travelling Europe, will get a month in them before I go again)

Carrying:
1x Smart wool socks
1x Liner socks
1x Waterproof trousers (have worn them in the past on their own while dog walking in very heavy rain, not the nicest but once before they didn't keep my trousers as dry as I had hoped, so if wore with base layer thermal trousers would dry quicker and would only require one pair of normal trousers???)
1x Bra
1x Tshirt (sleeping in)
1x Underwear pants
1x Sandals
1x Hat
1x Gloves

Mascara/Foundation stick
Camera/Charger
iPhone/Charger
Pen and notepad
Walking poles

Thanks guys

Ha ha.....

Keep your sleeping bag liner with you; some places insist on them. pilgrimsioux

Wearing:
1x Sports bra
1x Smart wool socks
1x Liner sock

Carrying:
1x Smart wool socks
1x Liner socks
1x Bra
1x Tshirt (sleeping in)
1x Underwear pants
1x Sandals
1x Hat
1x Gloves

Mascara/Foundation stick
Camera/Charger
iPhone/Charger
Pen and notepad
Walking poles

Thanks guys
P.s I know my pack is big, it is around 2kg, but I have enjoyed carrying it around Europe and have not felt it uncomfortable when walking for hours trying to locate hostels. I don't want to go out and buy a new lighter one in the fear it won't be as comfortable as this one I am used to.

WE walked in the winter, so I know our list works in very cold weather. We used the same packing list walking the Via Francigena in Italy in October and November. I think your list looks good, very disciplined (that's great!) although I would question cord trousers - hard and slow to dry if they get wet in cold or damp weather. Because of the time of year, we also were not (almost ever) able to stay in albergues, as they were shut in Spain, and they don't exist in Italy in the same way. For what it is worth, here is our packing list - hope it helps (you may have picked up already that people are very passionate about their equipment choices and packing lsits).
Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Camino" (Amazon)

When you walk, you warm up, even in winter, so light clothing is good. I mostly walked just in a fine wool long sleeved t-shirt. My husband used hi-tech synthetic fabric in a long sleeved walking shirt.

In general terms, choose everything small, lightweight wherever possible.

Minimise weight doing things like clip nails before leaving and buy clippers en route and then throw them away. (I know it sounds extreme, but a few days in you’ll understand what I’m talking about).

There are plenty of grocery shops and pharmacies to buy common items eg vaselina, compeed, tissues, nurofen (ibuprofen)

You don’t absolutely need a guidebook, but John Brierley’s was an invaluable and interesting companion along the way. I highly recommend it.

You will need to personally carry some of the “Theirs” items if you are walking alone. We were able to share them. Water weighs 1 kg per litre.

We sent on and gave away some things after we had been walking a few days. You don’t need much. Life is so simple and a light pack makes for a happy walker. It is so common that Post Offices stock what they call Pilgrim Boxes in various sizes: you send on to Post Restante in Santiago and pck up there. (I can’t remember the exact address). But how much easier to be disciplined before you even leave.

I washed every night, usually just socks and sometimes tops.

For long periods we wore one set of clothes for day and one for evening. This minimises washing. This worked well for cool /cold weather.

When you pack, put the heavy things at the bottom (eg sleeping bag) so your hips carry the weight.

I carried:

Hers

Aarn Featherlite 35 litre Freedom backpack

Sleeping bag

Silk long johns and top (for pyjamas and occasional extra warmth), 1 set (NZNature Co brand, bought mail order)

Ultra fine merino wool (Hedrena brand):

- single weight slacks, 2 pairs (I have now changed to Nike walking pants)

- undies, 2 pairs (cotton is very slow to dry, use merino or synthetic)

Ultra fine merino wool (Kathmandu brand, but I think Icebreaker from Paddy Pallin would be just as good):

- Long sleeved t-shirts, 2

Bridgedale wool hiking socks, 4 pairs (I wore two pairs each day, changed at lunchtime, washed them at night)

Anklet stocking sox, 2 pairs

Elastic knee support for a dodgy knee, 1 (two would have been good, worn on both knees)

1 bra

1 small polyester pretty scarf, when I wanted to look nicer some evenings (we stayed a a few nice hotels and Paradors along the way when we couldn’t find cheap accommodation or felt like a treat)

1 pair small earrings, worn all the time

Reading glasses and lightweight case

Sunglasses (not used)

Headlamp

Polar Fleece headband

Sleeveless Polar Fleece shell

Goretex 2 layer jacket

Goretex waterproof caving gloves

Akubra hat

Waterproof breathable overpants

Short gaiters

2 Trekking poles

Very light shoe horn

Randonnee Proof leather hiking boots

Running shoes (only used in the evening, to give my feet a rest)

In small containers (I have since heard of people usisng ziplock mini-sandwich bags, probably a good option):

- Moisturiser

- Face cleanser

- All purpose detergent (mostly you use the soap from where you are staying to wash your clothes so you don’t need much – one sachet)

Small toothbrush

Small microfibre towel (I regretted not taking a medium sized one)

Tissues

Cotton buds

1 tiny, thin washcloth

2 nappy (diaper) pins

Sponge bag (drawstring plastic bag to hold bathroom items)

Deodorant

Nurofen

Antihistamine

Vaseline

lip salve

tweezers

emery board

notebook and ballpoint pen

Small digital camera

In an inside pocket of my jacket

- emergency money

- one credit card

- info on bank accounts

- credit card cancellation info

- list of credit cards carried

- travel insurance info

- flight info

He carried:

His

Aarn 35 litre Featherlite Freedom backpack and 2 balance packs

Sleeping bag

Travel pillow

Chargers for Ipod, MP3 player, camera, 3G phone (+ Garmin gps in Italy, not needed in Spain)

Device to download photos from camera to Ipod

Adaptor plug

Swiss army knife

Sports watch with alarm, stopwatch, compass

Randonee Proof Leather hiking boots

Running shoes and bag

Running socks

Goretex 2 layer jacket

Some pharmaceuticals

Polar Fleece headband

Goretex waterproof caving gloves

Document carrier with:

- passports

- credencials

- credit cards

- money

- list of flights and accommodation

- pen

Headlight

Glasses and lens cloth

Sunglasses and case

Medium size microfibre towel

Silk handkerchief

Small toothbrush

Razor and replaceable blades

Hi tech clothes:

- 2 pr undies

- 4 pr Coolmax socks

- 2 pr Coolmax sock liners

- 1 pr trousers

- 1 pr calf length shorts

- 2 shirts

Polypropylene thermal undershirt and long johns

Polar fleece sleeveless shell

Waterproof breathable overpants

Short gaiters

Akubra hat

1 Trekking pole (in Italy 2)

We split this: (he carried 3kg more weight, mostly water, so used balance packs in front)

Theirs

Collapsible 2.5 litre water bottle (Platypus brand)

Hotel sewing kit

Twisted elastic travel clothesline

Half a tube of child size toothpaste

Bandaids and Compeeds

Antibiotic cream

Anti-diarrhoea medicine

Anti-cramping medicine

Gel heel inserts in case of heel spurs

Food for the day , usually including chocolate, bread, cheese, wine

2 forks, knives, spoons (Paddy Pallin stocks very light ones, brand I think Sea to Summit)

John Brierley guide book

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just a little off-topic, but a word to the wise:

Don't self-treat bad diarrhea. I got swine flu (la gripe porcina) on arriving in Leon in 2009 and was deathly ill. You have to have built-in parameters in your head that will tell you when to seek professional medical aid. Seriously.

I agree with you 100% lynnejohn,you can treat the symptoms but, you need to have the cause of the diarrhea treated,in extreme cases it can be life threatening ,get yourself to a qualified doctor A.S.A.P...........Vicrev

Magnara: How did you dry your Merino gear? I am walking in February and will be wearing Marino but am a little worried it won't dry overnight...

MM
Margaret,

I'm so glad I read this post of yours. I have several pairs of these as a runner and thought I would bring one pair to wear in the evenings (planning Camino Frances May 2014) but now you've got me wondering if I should bring two and wear for hiking??? They dry fast, wash well, don't hold odors, no stains and are super comfortable. You don't wear hiking pants at all then? I'm so intrigued - have you walked all your Camino's in these or did you change to them and please tell us more about why you prefer running tights - thanks so much!

Margaret,

I'm so glad I read this post of yours. I have several pairs of these as a runner and thought I would bring one pair to wear in the evenings (planning Camino Frances May 2014) but now you've got me wondering if I should bring two and wear for hiking??? They dry fast, wash well, don't hold odors, no stains and are super comfortable. You don't wear hiking pants at all then? I'm so intrigued - have you walked all your Camino's in these or did you change to them and please tell us more about why you prefer running tights - thanks so much!

Irene Elisabet,

Exactly one year after completing my first Camino I decided to re-walk the pilgrimage route to try and recapture its special spirit. This time my total pack weight was lighter; from 8 kilos I was able to cut back to 6.5 by using a smaller knapsack (30 liters) and a more compact sleeping bag ecumenically named Little Buddha as well as wearing lightweight runners’ tights and technical tee shirts. The rest of my kit remained the same, but Mo stayed home. One camino is enough with a stuffed moose!

In general I have medium priced good quality equipment but nothing fancy, ie nothing that anyone would want to take from me; no fanny pack nor camera bag. Discretion is protection; I have traveled the world, often alone, but ALWAYS discreetly.

Margaret Meredith

Ear plugs! So you don't have to listen to snorers .

So excited to have bought my two pairs of winter black runner tights today! Saving me so much weight in my pack, so thank you @mspath

Spent about 1 hour in Decathalon trying on all sorts, ended up going for the mens as it felt the best fit and suprisignly had the widest waist band which made for a more comfortable fit instead of two others I tried on that cut in slightly....that could also just be from too much beer and high fat food in Poland the past 10 months!!

went for Quechua Tights Warm black, can't find a link to them on Decathalon but 82% Polyamide and 18% Elastane so quick and easy drying! And a good price at 89,99zł each so around 18.00 pounds sterling per pair.

Will finish of the rest of my kit when back in Scotland next week :)

Not full size but as bulky as my sleeping bag! The moose, known as Mo, shortened from Mousse au chocolat, was a large toy which long ago I gave to my father for his 90th birthday. After my father’s death Mo came back to me. In 2004 he traveled within a stuff sack deep in my knapsack. Although disguised as my ‘pillow’ he was in truth my silent confidante during that first challenging camino.

MM
I have a stuffed moose too! I got him in Yellowstone and he goes on all my trips -thankfully he's about the size of a beanie baby! Glad to know I'm not the only one bringing this little bit of comfort from home :)
GLACIER 029.JPG
(Moose in all his glory at Glacier Nat. Park)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.