• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing List: Welcome All Comments!

Rold Gold

Time of past OR future Camino
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims!
I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend.

My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is currently weighing in at 9.9 lbs/4.49 kgs. That includes everything except my phone, passport, credential, credit cards, and money which I usually carry in a small bag that I have across my body/around my waist. Oh, and it doesn't include water or any snacks. Still, I'm eager to know if there's anything on the list that I should leave at home. I've tried to be thoughtful and know I can get anything I need in Spain, but even if I buy it there I have to carry it, so I want to be mindful of that.

Here it is--thanks for any thoughts or ideas!

OUTFIT ON PLANE (or wearing while hiking)
1 shirt
1 pair hiking pants
1 running bra
1 pair underwear
1 pair liner Injinji toe socks
1 pair wool hiking socks
1 pair trail runners
1 Merino wool hoodie (I'm always freezing on planes and will use for colder nights on Camino)
1 pair reading glasses

IN PACK
CLOTHES/BIG ITEMS
1 Sleeping Bag
1 Rain Jacket (to double as wind breaker)
1 short-sleeved T-shirt
1 long-sleeved T-shirt
1 tank top
1 pair hiking shorts
1 pair very light weight running shorts to use for sleeping/swimming/lounging or extra hiking on a very hot day
2 pairs underwear
2 pairs merino wool hiking socks
1 running bra
Flips Flops
* all clothing super light weight and packed down inside a dry bag

TOILETRIES
1 deodorant
1 shampoo bar
1 sunscreen
1 lip balm
1 razor
1 comb
1 small toothbrush
1 small toothpaste
1 small dental floss
1 towel

FIRST AID/EXTRA
Ibuprofen (small container)
1 roll of Nexcare athletic tape
Moleskin
1 small container green goo for feet
1 small sewing kit with needle and thread
Earplugs
Laundry detergent sheets
Nail clippers
Safety pins
STONE
SHELL
Safety whistle
A couple of extra ziplock bags
One drawstring bag for groceries or as daypack
Sunglasses
Extra pair reading glasses
* most of this (except items hanging on/in pocket of pack) packed in dry bag for washing clothes

ELECTRONICS
1 power pack
1 adaptor for Spain
1 long charging cord
Headphones

LUXURY
1 mascara
1 lipstick

NOT IN PACK BUT WILL ALSO TAKE
Small body purse
Phone
Passport
Credential
Cards
Money

TO BUY/FIND IN SPAIN
Pocket Knife
Sun Hat
Hiking Poles (?) Everything I read on this forum says they are great to use; I walk a lot at home and never used them but am eager to try.

My pack seems pretty light already, and it feels fine when I carry it around, but I'm still debating a few things. One of the heaviest is the POWER PACK. Maybe I should leave it or just take a smaller one? I really don't want to be on my phone when I'm walking, but I'm realistic and know I'm going to be using it sometimes on the trail and in the albergues for reading. Still I figure I'll always be pretty close to a place to charge, and I'm just not sure any power pack is worth its weight. Also, do I need the moleskin and the tape? I threw in the moleskin because I happened to have it already, but if the tape is enough, maybe I shouldn't bother? I walk and run at home and don't really have trouble with blisters, but I realize this is different and that the camino may provide....

Thanks for weighing in on my base weight!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Looks like a good list. I like to have a chico bag that you can use for groceries (so you don't have to pay extra for a plastic one). Can also use it for laundry. I would skip the power bank, but I don't use my phone that much so gauge what you think.you will need.

Looks lean to me, and we happen to be at this very moment putting our stuff together too.

I'm analyzing my 18lb pack weight and weighing the value of each item right now. Considering the general 10% rule, I need to either gain weight, get to chopping items off the list or get stronger. It'll probably be the latter...

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks! I packed an extra drawstring bag to use for groceries or as a daypack if I need one.
And in addition to the merino wool hoodie, I have the rain jacket/windbreaker. If it's cold I'm planning on layering up by using all my shirts with the merino hoodie and the windbreaker. Since I'm walking mostly in June, I hope that will be enough and, if not, will just buy an additional layer.

That seems like a pretty good list to me. I carry practically the same, except for the power bank - I rarely use the phone during the day (just for photos) and it's mostly on battery save mode. Then it charges at night.
But if your bag is light, there's no harm in taking it.

I also never take a razor. I shave everything I think needs shaving before I depart, and during the camino I don't bother. But again, it's so light that there's no harm in taking it.

Thanks for letting me know! Yeah, I'm just not sure about the power bank. Besides the sleeping bag at about 480 grams/1+ pounds, it's the single heaviest thing I have. I'm mostly planning on staying at municipal albergues and am assuming (perhaps incorrectly) there are not a lot of outlets in some of the older ones. I'm hoping to do as little work as possible, but I will have to check in and maybe have a one meeting while I'm away, so I'll need my phone for that. And I often just forget to charge my phone in general. For all those reasons, I'm leaning towards taking it, but if work weren't an issue, I'd leave it at home, for sure.

It's definitely a good start. Once you have the layering idea it becomes much easier.
I'll own up to being a gram counter, and was surprised how much containers for things (eg glasses,money, toiletries, waist pack) can add up in weight. I am lucky to manage with just one extra pair which have darkening varifocal lenses, so they are also my sunglasses. They have survived many trips in a home-made soft case.
I also prefer to just use the phone for photos, very occasional reading and listening, and limited communication with home, so no power bank. You can save quite a bit of weight by buying a small European 2 pin usb plug. I believe you can get them online in most countries.
In June, depending where you are walking and your own sleeping preferences you could go with just a sleeping bag liner. There are threads here which discuss this in detail.
I'm not sure that you'd need a whistle if you're on the Frances or Portuguese Camino north of Porto. You will though need some sort of sun hat, and a water bottle ( lightest way to carry water is in small half litre bottles that you buy it in - they can be reused for ages). Soap too unless you will use your shampoo for washing yourself. Have fun planning.
PS not many women on Camino wear make up, but it's nice to have a change.

That is a very lean and disciplined packing list. Kudos to you. One item I don't see, and one that I always take, is a lightweight bandana, 25 grams. I like to douse mine in water and tie around my neck when it is super hot. It can also be draped over the head, or tied around the eyes to block out light in the Albergue, or used as a sweat wipe cloth, or even as pee rag if you get 'caught short'.

Congrats on getting the weight down! I’m a couple of pounds heavier but get cold so take a fleece or insulator. I also take extra socks/undies because there are days when things just don’t dry or I don’t feel like doing laundry. If you want to ditch the extra whistle, most packs have one built into the chest strap. If yours doesn’t here’s a clip you can add. Also, someone mentioned a sun hat and water bottles/bladder…you’ll likely run into anything from relentless rain to searing heat so will need a hat! https://www.backcountrygear.com/whi...MIqPq9-YDlhQMVr9TCBB2pCQH1EAQYBiABEgKLdvD_BwE

Once you reach Galicia, the Xunta albergues all have either a USB port in the light above each bed or an actual plug. Some old school albergues, you will need to share or take turns charging items (Grañón or Viana comes to mind.)

Thanks for letting me know! Yeah, I'm just not sure about the power bank. Besides the sleeping bag at about 480 grams/1+ pounds, it's the single heaviest thing I have
In that case, your power bank is too big. I always carry this 5000 mAh power bank which only weighs about 4 ounces/114 gm that I purchased on Amazon.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate that you ALL took the time to read through my list so carefully and to give such great comments. I also really appreciate your praise--it means a lot coming from folks with so much experience.

I weighed again and am at 9.8 lbs/4.44k kgs this AM, so maybe my pack lost weight somehow in the night!

But I haven't yet added that I will take a small plastic 500 or 750 ml Smart Water bottle to use and reuse since it has the pop-out spout thing. Plus, I have to add a few small incidentals (earplugs, nail clippers) so I'm sure I'll be over 10 lbs/4.5 kgs once I add all that and snacks.

I did think about a sleeping bag liner but know that I get cold at night, so I decided on the bag.

I figure I will need a hat but have put off getting one. I don't use hats a lot, so I thought I'd just get one when I was ready for it in Spain.

And thanks for letting me know about the amount of outlets in the albergues!

Last edited:
You may want to think about some sort of moisturizer you can use on your face. I find that sun/rain/wind/snow(!!) is hard on the skin. You can take a small amount of one you already use if you do so, or even a small tube of aquaphor which can be used on your face (and elsewhere) as needed.

Rain jacket is not a good replacement for a windbreaker. Sometimes, it’s warm, but the wind is chilly, and you’ll sweat heavily in your rain jacket.

Also, I’d go for double layer socks as blister prevention (eg Wrightsocks, or just one thin layer and a thick one). Apply Dr Scholl’s Hirschtalg (best option) or Vaseline every day in the morning as blister prevention.

I had a small power bank with me, but I didn’t use it on my two caminos. There are charging opportunities everywhere in the albergues. Don’t use google maps for navigation (or only for last half hour to find the albergue in cities). Use camino.ninja app for navigation, as it’s very caring for your battery!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Which Camino are you doing? Just got back from Portugese Camino and while I didn't have blisters at home, I sure did after 15 miles a day. Friend had hospital grade 'second skin', which was much better than any over the counter stuff I had---and I had alot.

I'd include a sleep mask and earplugs if you are staying in hostels.

I used my friend's brick when my phone didn't charge. You really don't want to be without your phone for pictures or your downloaded Google map/Buen Camino/Brierley's guide.

And if you forget something, the Camino will provide.

Buen Camino!

Thanks! I packed an extra drawstring bag to use for groceries or as a daypack if I need one.
And in addition to the merino wool hoodie, I have the rain jacket/windbreaker. If it's cold I'm planning on layering up by using all my shirts with the merino hoodie and the windbreaker. Since I'm walking mostly in June, I hope that will be enough and, if not, will just buy an additional layer.
I have about a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. I'm not a super big planner, but I'm feeling excited and needed something to do with my energy.

My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is currently weighing in at 9.9 lbs/4.49 kgs. That includes everything except my phone, passport, credential, credit cards, and money which I usually carry in a small bag that I have across my body/around my waist. Oh, and it doesn't include water or any snacks. Still, I'm eager to know if there's anything on the list that I should leave at home. I've tried to be thoughtful and know I can get anything I need in Spain, but even if I buy it there I have to carry it, so I want to be mindful of that.

1 shirt
1 pair hiking pants
1 running bra
1 pair underwear
1 pair toe socks
1 pair regular socks
1 pair trail runners
1 Merino wool hoodie (I'm always freezing on planes and will use for colder nights on Camino)
1 pair reading glasses

IN PACK
CLOTHES/BIG ITEMS
1 Sleeping Bag
1 short-sleeved T-shirt
1 long-sleeved T-shirt
1 tank top
1 pair hiking shorts
1 pair very light weight running shorts to use for sleeping/swimming/lounging or extra hiking on a very hot day
2 pairs underwear
2 pairs socks
1 pair toe socks
1 running bra
Flips Flops

TOILETRIES
1 deodorant
1 shampoo bar
1 sunscreen
1 lip balm
1 razor
1 comb
1 small toothbrush
1 small toothpaste
1 small dental floss
1 towel

FIRST AID/EXTRA
Moleskin
STONE
SHELL
Sunglasses
Safety whistle
* all this packed into an small dry bag to use for washing my clothes

ELECTRONICS
1 power pack
1 adaptor for Spain
1 long charging cord
Headphones

LUXURY
1 mascara
1 lipstick

STILL MISSING BUT WILL TAKE IN PACK
Earplugs
Laundry detergent sheets
Nail clippers
Safety pins

Small body purse
Phone
Passport
Credential
Cards
Money

My pack seems pretty light already, and it feels fine when I carry it around, but I'm still debating a few things. One of the heaviest is the POWER PACK. Maybe I should leave it or just take a smaller one? I really don't want to be on my phone when I'm walking, but I'm realistic and know I'm going to be using it sometimes on the trail and in the albergues for reading. Still I figure I'll always be pretty close to a place to charge, and I'm just not sure any power pack is worth its weight. Also, do I need the moleskin and the tape? I threw in the moleskin because I happened to have it already, but if the tape is enough, maybe I shouldn't bother? I walk and run at home and don't really have trouble with blisters, but I realize this is different and that the camino may provide....

Hiking poles would be a great addition.
They are beneficial in keeping one's body upright and taking pressure off the knees etc, etc.
Buen Camino 😎 🇳🇿🇪🇸

Thanks again to all for offering opinions and ideas. I switched out the heavy power pack for a lighter one and added the few other things I needed to add (e.g. detergent sheets, safety pins, hat, nail clippers, comb) and the new weight is....the same as the old weight, 9.9 lbs/4.49 kgs.

With water and snacks, it will be over 10 lbs/5kgs, of course, but what I have still feels like a great base weight. I may even add a small notebook.

Buen Camino to all!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That's a great weight. My pack is about 12 lbs. with my CPAP. 5.5 kg. Yes, it's easy to pick up stuff along the way that can add a little.

I usually take some kind of paper and pen in case I need to leave a note somewhere or I used it one year along with a bit of duct tape to label my husband's bag for transport mid Camino. I also keep track of expenses. Tiny notebook or even a pad of paper picked up at an airport hotel can be useful. Last winter, I had to carry a little bag for every receipt for my student group for reimbursement upon return.

That's super impressive @J Willhaus that your bag is only 12 lbs including a CPAP machine taking up so much overall weight! I'd love to see your packing list as I can see by your banner that you've got a lot of experience on the Camino.
Thanks again for your kind replies and thoughtful and insightful presence on this forum!

Thanks again to all for offering opinions and ideas. I switched out the heavy power pack for a lighter one and added the few other things I needed to add (e.g. detergent sheets, safety pins, hat, nail clippers, comb) and the new weight is....the same as the old weight, 9.9 lbs/4.49 kgs.

With water and snacks, it will be over 10 lbs/5kgs, of course, but what I have still feels like a great base weight. I may even add a small notebook.

Buen Camino to all!
Hi,

Thank you for sharing, quite an impressive low weight
I am preparing for my second Camino, and I really struggled with the backpack weight in my first Camino (not help having two bad knees), so I intend to reduce it as much as possible.

Your 4,49 kg sound impressive. A quick amazon search shows that the Deuter 30l backpack has about 0.99 kg so, excluding it, your items would weight an overall of 3,5 kg!
I know that usually to lower the weight you have to rise the price, and I wanted to decide the items that are really worth the investment. Could you share the individual weights?

In terms of your list, I would add walking poles and - regardless whether you choose a water bottle or a camel bladder - consider that water is heavy. 1 liter = 1 kg, more or less.
Another suggestion would be to replace the nail clipper by a small scissors. Both can be used to cut nails, but the scissors are useful to cut the Kinesio Tape (I use the tape for the feet, to prevent blisters).
Also, consider replacing each pair (toe + regular) socks by a pair of double layer socks (not due to the weight but to prevent blisters)

In any case, I hope you have a wonderful Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi @Carla M.!
Thanks for your message! I'm at work now and don't have a scale to weigh everything on its own, but I can tell you for sure I saved the most weight on my clothes, which I got from REI, an outdoor equipment co-op here in the States. I know you are in Portugal, so I'm not sure what the equivalent would be there.

I got three of these SWIFT-tex fabric shirts (short-sleeved, long-sleeved, and a tank top) and some light weight pants from Mountain Hardware. My plan has been to take very little clothing-wise (basically I've got three tops and two bottoms with an extra pair of running shorts for sleeping/swimming), but just made sure it was all light-weight, quick drying and interchangeable. Also, I'm going in June, so I don't need heavy items.

The heaviest and most expensive clothing item I'm taking is the Icebreaker merino wool hoodie from a few years back, which seemed crazily expensive at the time even on sale, but I have to say it's one of the best purchases I ever made. I have worn it A LOT for several years now and the quality is great. However, I just couldn't pay $80 bucks for an Icebreaker merino wool T-shirt, and I actually prefer the cheaper but still not cheap synthetic fiber ones from REI.

In addition, I found this super light weight but large-sized Airlite towel. I also got a lightweight sleeping bag from Fjall Raven at 470 grams. Normally, it's more like $130 US, but they were having a sale on Amazon, so I got it for about $80 US. These were the big items for me that saved the most weight but cost the most money. Most everything else is just travel size toiletries from my local CVS.

Yes, I have been debating scissors or nail clippers and only settled on nail clippers because I found a pair for $1. Also, I'm not checking a bag on the plane, so I'd have to get scissors in Spain anyway. Ditto for the hiking poles. I'm hoping maybe someone will have left a pair behind in one of the albergues, so I can try them and see if I like them.

I hope that helps at all and Buen Camino/Bom caminho!

Looks like a good list. I like to have a chico bag that you can use for groceries (so you don't have to pay extra for a plastic one). Can also use it for laundry. I

When I walked in 2022 a lot of albergues were giving away free (of course small donation was always welcome) bags that one could scrounge up into a very small ball (if you will) and hardly took a space at all
I got me a couple and just stuffed them into the backpack belt's side pockets.
Hope they still do the same.

I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend.

1 shirt
1 pair hiking pants
1 running bra
1 pair underwear
1 pair wool hiking socks
1 pair trail runners
1 pair reading glasses

IN PACK
CLOTHES/BIG ITEMS
1 Sleeping Bag
1 short-sleeved T-shirt
1 long-sleeved T-shirt
1 tank top
1 pair hiking shorts
2 pairs underwear
2 pairs merino wool hiking socks
1 running bra
Flips Flops

TOILETRIES
1 deodorant
1 shampoo bar
1 sunscreen
1 lip balm
1 razor
1 comb
1 small toothbrush
1 small toothpaste
1 small dental floss
1 towel

FIRST AID/EXTRA
Moleskin
Earplugs
Laundry detergent sheets
Nail clippers
Safety pins
STONE
SHELL
Safety whistle
Sunglasses
* most of this (except items hanging on/in pocket of pack) packed in dry bag for washing clothes

ELECTRONICS
1 power pack
1 adaptor for Spain
1 long charging cord
Headphones

LUXURY
1 mascara
1 lipstick

Small body purse
Phone
Passport
Credential
Cards
Money

TO BUY/FIND IN SPAIN
Pocket Knife
Sun Hat
Hiking Poles (?) Everything I read on this forum says they are great to use; I walk a lot at home and never used them but am eager to try.

I am walking the Portuguese and my packing list is similar but it has been cold and I have regretted not having a fleece or similar

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As the others have said, good work on your packing discipline!

A few suggestions of things I found helpful:
Triple antibiotic ointment (you need a prescription to get it in Spain and the blisters are gnarly)

Journal and pen (I tried to journal each evening to reflect on the day, and I found it a really calming practice—I kept a list of “lessons learned on the Camino,” which I like to look back on)

Synthetic socks—I had issues getting my merino wools socks to dry and kept having to safety pin them to my backpack during the day, which was a bit annoying. I brought two pairs of merino socks and one synthetic, for my next Camino, I’m on bringing synthetic only.

Eye mask and ear plugs—super helpful for sleeping!

A few suggestions of things I found helpful:
Triple antibiotic ointment (you need a prescription to get it in Spain and the blisters are gnarly)
I always take antibiotic ointment, but I haven't used it on blisters because if you pay attention to your feet blisters are not inevitable! More useful is some Omnifix tape to apply to blister prone areas. You can buy it, or the similar Hypafix tape at most farmácias in Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

So….. we had 1 inch of rain here at home in a 4 hour period. We found it and opportunity to test our packs/setup. We hiked 12 miles in pure downpour. We both wore shorts and no pack covers as mine...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...
I’m walking the Frances in late Oct thru November. Is a 55L osprey too large in your opinion? Thx is for suggestions. Frank
Dear all, as I intent to bring a tent I would be very grateful if you could share some of your tips on how to keep the total weight down or even your own packing list. Currently I am about to...
I have a pacemaker on my left upper chest, right where a backpack strap goes. I am considering using a large messenger bag, approximately 20 litres, and a small hip pack, less than 5 litres...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.