• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris to SJPP - Advice on my itinerary

Lucas2544

Time of past OR future Camino
None yet.
Hello!
This will be my first time flying to Europe as an adult so I'll be a total newbie. I would really appreciate some advice on my itinerary.
I'm flying overnight from SFO to Paris and arriving on Sept. 26 at 10:45 am. I understand the train from CDG to Montparnasse takes about an hour and 15 minutes. There is a train from Gare Montparnasse that leaves at 14:06. It goes to Gare De Dax where I'd change/transfer to a train bound for Bayonne. At Bayonne I change/transfer again and arrive in SJPDP at 19:41. If my plane lands on time that gives me about 3 hours to get off the plane (I'm sitting near the back of the plane but only with a carry on 36L backpack), get through customs/airport, and find the train and get to Montparnasse.

My concern is I won't have enough time to navigate CDG/Paris airport and find the train to Montparnasse. I'm fine paying a taxi if its easier/quicker and not crazy expensive. I've never experienced jet flag so I'm not sure what to expect. Hopefully my flight being an overnight flight will help and maybe I can sleep on the train. Alternatively I can stay at the HÔTEL DE PARIS Montparnasse right next to the train station and leave the next morning. However I want to maximize my time walking so staying in Paris for a night is not ideal. If I'm able to do my original plan I'll be arriving in SJPDP at close to 8:00 pm. I will have made reservations to stay somewhere so finding a bed should not be a problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My concern is I won't have enough time to navigate CDG/Paris airport and find the train to Montparnasse. I'm fine paying a taxi if its easier/quicker and not crazy expensive.
It is not a good idea: first of all, there are some fake taxis in Parisian airport which are too much expensive.
Second, Montparnasse station is near the heart of Paris: in a car, traffic jams in the end of the morning will slow you. Only moto-taxis are quicker...
My advice is:
1) RER B (toward Robinson-St Remy les Chevreuse) from CDG to Denfert-Rochereau
2) Subway line 6 (toward Charles-de-Gaulle-Etoile) from Denfert-Rochereau to Gare Montparnasse
You should be able to catch your train at 14:06

Buen camino !

Lucas2544,

Do remember that you will be tired after your long flight; take some time to really rest/sleep before you start to walk. You might perhaps stay a day or 2 in Paris.

The hotel which you mention would be a good choice.

Then next day from the Gare Montparnasse take a high speed TGV train to Bayonne. You must have a reserved ticket for the TGV. The price of the ticket is cheapest the earliest you book it. You can book on line and at the same time book a local TER train to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

The local train to Bayonne may be partially out of service due to work on the line but your booked local ticket will provide bus transport for you.

Good luck, Bon voyage and Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello from Newfoundland……I’ve done this route flying overnight to Paris from NA to walk the Frances twice, the latest was May this year. I would strongly consider flying down to Biarritz from CDG. You used to have to switch airports to do this transferring to Orly airport in southern Paris but now Air France fly direct from CDG to Biarritz and you won’t even have to leave the airport, just change terminals which is a walk and then a 5 min shuttle bus ride. Stay overnight in Biarritz and then train to Bayonne the following morning (12 min fast train) and then train/bus from Bayonne to SJPdP. It really is easy and you don’t have to go into central Paris…..good luck and Buen Camino! BTW, Biarritz is a lovely old seaside town to explore which will help recovery from jet lag!

Here is a good guide on how to get from CDG to Montparnasse

And a good guide as to what you'll find at the station can be found here

The destination board at the station is nice and clear

1662638869825.png

"Voie" is the platform your train will be leaving from.

EDIT: Does anybody know if SNCF have lifted the ban on taking food with you onto the train? If they have then buy something from one of the many outlets at Montparnasse - what they sell in the train buffet is not something the French should be proud of!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can take food with you.
I never heard about a ban. When did you heard this ? During COVID outbreak ?
Yes, it was reported on this forum during the pandemic (when travel was allowed of course)

@Lucas2544, please by friendly to our environment and stick to your plan to take the high speed train :) . Also, you can fly any time anywhere but how often to you have a chance to be on a French TGV? :)

@Pafayac has already described the itinerary from CDG to Montparnasse. Here is a website (of many) with the same info about travel from airport to train station:

As you are not yet very familiar with transport in Paris, familiarise yourself beforehand with the names of the lines you have to take - it's RER train line B and subway Metro line 6 or 4 -, with the names of the two stations at the end of each of these lines so that you know which direction you have to take, and with the names of the two stations where you have to get off the RER train and the subway. Then you will not stress and not waste time and all you have to do is just follow the signs - all very clearly labelled everywhere. Enjoy!

Question to all (since it's been quite a while for me): Tickets - get them from machines or are there still enough counters with staff from whom to buy tickets? One ticket for RER and one ticket for the metro or are there combined tickets for a traveller who travels just this one time through Paris?

Last edited:
Question to all (since it's been quite a while for me): Tickets - get them from machines or are there still enough counters with staff from whom to buy tickets? One ticket for RER and one ticket for the metro or are there combined tickets for a traveller who travels just this one time through Paris?
There are less and less staff: get tickets from machines. A RER ticket allows you to take the metro.
Take care that there are less and less gates which allows to use paper tickets (tickets tend to be dematerialized).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had to make the trip from CDG to Montparnasse about six weeks ago at a similar time of day with my elderly mother in law. We took a taxi which was about 50 euro from memory. Following the recommendations on the CDG website we took an official taxi from directly outside the terminal which was easy and comfortable and took about 50 minutes in fairly heavy traffic. Ther RER/metro option is also a good option, which I would have taken if I hadn't been with my mother-in-law. The change of platforms at Bayonne is very easy and the train service from Paris to Bayonne is amazing and worth paying the extra to go 1st class (ussually about 20% more). It is worth booking the train in advance as trains particularly on Fridays can be busy and it is best to book direct via the SNCF connect website rather than Trainline etc, in case you need to change your ticket.

I had to make the trip from CDG to Montparnasse about six weeks ago at a similar time of day
Six weeks ago we were between mid-July and mid-August: it is the time when the traffic is lighter in Paris area.
The OP plans its trip on September, 26th: the road traffic will be far heavier...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Alternatively I can stay at the HÔTEL DE PARIS Montparnasse right next to the train station and leave the next morning. However I want to maximize my time walking so staying in Paris for a night is not ideal.
I vote for spending a night (or two) in Paris.
How many days do you have altogether for this trip?

There is another option, and some posters may be referring to this: Departure at 12:38 by TGV directly from the airport CDG with a change at Massy TGV station. Normally, the second TGV brings you directly to Bayonne but on the 26th of September, due to engineering works, there is another change at Dax station. This avoids the transit through Paris.

(Click to enlarge)
Two TGVs.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello!
This will be my first time flying to Europe as an adult so I'll be a total newbie. I would really appreciate some advice on my itinerary.
I'm flying overnight from SFO to Paris and arriving on Sept. 26 at 10:45 am. I understand the train from CDG to Montparnasse takes about an hour and 15 minutes. There is a train from Gare Montparnasse that leaves at 14:06. It goes to Gare De Dax where I'd change/transfer to a train bound for Bayonne. At Bayonne I change/transfer again and arrive in SJPDP at 19:41. If my plane lands on time that gives me about 3 hours to get off the plane (I'm sitting near the back of the plane but only with a carry on 36L backpack), get through customs/airport, and find the train and get to Montparnasse.

My concern is I won't have enough time to navigate CDG/Paris airport and find the train to Montparnasse. I'm fine paying a taxi if its easier/quicker and not crazy expensive. I've never experienced jet flag so I'm not sure what to expect. Hopefully my flight being an overnight flight will help and maybe I can sleep on the train. Alternatively I can stay at the HÔTEL DE PARIS Montparnasse right next to the train station and leave the next morning. However I want to maximize my time walking so staying in Paris for a night is not ideal. If I'm able to do my original plan I'll be arriving in SJPDP at close to 8:00 pm. I will have made reservations to stay somewhere so finding a bed should not be a problem.

You don't have to go into Paris from CDG. There's a train station at the airport. Train to Bayonne, spend the night, then train from Bayonne to SJPdP the next morning.

Hi Lucas, welcome to the forum and (once you arrive), welcome to Europe!
You don't mention how you are with reading/speaking a bit of French, but after 8 or 9 hours of air travel, you may have temporarily forgotten everything you did know! I think you might be putting yourself under a lot of pressure trying to complete your journey in one hit.
I understand your urge to 'get walking', but as this is your first trip alone to Europe, you might like to chill and recover a bit in Paris first, if only for 24 or 36 hours.
There are good backpackers hostels in Paris - where you will likely meet other young adults, or reasonably affordable hotels. And the central part of the city is great to wander around, take a coffee and French pastry and see a few sights.
Then your next morning rail journey to Bayonne and on to SJPdP will be less rushed and more enjoyable.
I have nothing to add to advice above on journey planning except to reiterate that it's best to book your train to Bayonne well in advance. Train is a better way than flying to appreciate the countryside through which you'll travel.
Whichever way you decide have a good trip and enjoy your Camino!

Here is a good guide on how to get from CDG to Montparnasse

And a good guide as to what you'll find at the station can be found here

The destination board at the station is nice and clear

View attachment 132416

"Voie" is the platform your train will be leaving from.

EDIT: Does anybody know if SNCF have lifted the ban on taking food with you onto the train? If they have then buy something from one of the many outlets at Montparnasse - what they sell in the train buffet is not something the French should be proud of!
You can take food and drink in the train. We did this on May 28.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello!

I leave in a few days, and my plan is to stay for two nights in Paris (it’s Paris, after all!) so that I can acclimate to the time change and give myself a bit of rest before I start walking.

My advice to you then would be to take it easy on yourself, if time allows. If you haven’t been to Paris as an adult, then an overnight stay at a hotel near Montparnasse would be a lovely idea. There is lots to see and do near the area. Soak it all in and enjoy!

I am with mspath on this one. There are numerous posts on this forum that ask "If I arrive at xyz airport at a certain time, will i have plenty of time to clear immigration/customs to get to city center to catch a train to? etc." In some ways you have to assume the worst, you flight may be delayed, or God forbid canceled, or be held up in immigration/customs. I recommend that you spend a day or two in Paris to recover from jet lag and to take in the sights.

Good luck.

Mark

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
EasyJet flies CDG Paris to Biarritz. It's a lot faster than the train and less transfer time.

-Paul

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello!

Fly from CDG to Biarritz!!! EasyJet or Ryan Air.
Cheap and fast

EasyJet flies CDG Paris to Biarritz. It's a lot faster than the train and less transfer time.

-Paul

Fly from CDG to Biarritz!!! EasyJet or Ryan Air.
Cheap and fast
If it's cheap and fast you want, you could fly direct from Paris to Santiago de Compostela and save all the sweat and blisters of walking.😉
Seriously though, the Camino is a strong demonstration of the philosophy that *the journey is at least as important as the destination*.
I know you can't walk or even take a train across the Atlantic but, if your plane lands in France, why not see some of France, if only from the window of a comfortable and speedy train?

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back