A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Phone camera dead

Camino(s) past & future
Via De La Plata
looking for suggestions.
My phone camera died. Everything else about the phone is just fine. I have a tablet with a working camera. So I can still get some pictures. But carrying the tablet available while I'm carrying my backpack is cumbersome at least.
Does anyone have ideas on what I can do for pictures? Google phone support is useless. They won't ship me a phone overseas. Thoughts?

Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2, El Norte incompleto
looking for suggestions.
My phone camera died. Everything else about the phone is just fine. I have a tablet with a working camera. So I can still get some pictures. But carrying the tablet available while I'm carrying my backpack is cumbersome at least.
Does anyone have ideas on what I can do for pictures? Google phone support is useless. They won't ship me a phone overseas. Thoughts?
Buy an inexpensive camera in the next big town.

evanlow

Camino(s) past & future
Frances06
Primitivo07
Plata08
Norte12
Levante(14-15)
Vasco16
Mozarabe(16-17)
Madrid17
Portuguese18
You are better off getting an inexpensive smartphone and than an inexpensive camera. You will be surprised what you can get for around a 100-150 euros, a camera probably cost more.
Plus you can use when you are home. If you are from the US then hopefully it's AT&T.

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
Did you try and download another phone app from the store. It may work for you.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: September 24 - October 31 (2015); February/March (2019)
When you say it "died," what does that look like? Does it just not open up when you press the app or is it all wonky when you are looking at the screen in camera mode? One thought that occurs to me is to download a third-party camera app, like Camera+, and see if the camera works with that application. Other than that, I second trecile's recommendation to buy a cheap point-and-shoot camera in the next large town. If you were hoping to share photos while walking, you'll have to figure out how to get the photos from the camera to your phone or tablet. I'm assuming they sell an SD card reader for Android devices. I use Apple's SD card reader to get photos from my DSLR into my iOS devices.

As someone else said, you might also consider a cheap smartphone. You wouldn't even need to activate cellular coverage for that phone, you could just use it for the camera. I'm assuming Android offers some way to move files between devices using Bluetooth such as is available with Airdrop with Apple devices.

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP-Leon (15)
SJPdP-SdC-Finisterre-Muxia (16)
Lisbon-SdC (17)

Le Puy-Pamplona (19)
Maybe you’re out of film... (just a joke)

As with many things computer related, it’s often worthwhile turning the power off, waiting a 15 seconds or so, and then powering back up again. It doesn’t solve everything, but often it can do the trick.

P Rat

Camino(s) past & future
Camino VDLP april (april2019)
Sometimes a factory default reset works too. But do a back up first as this will get rid of everything that is not standard on your phone...

Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
I vote for getting a cheap smartphone that runs the same OS. It sounds like you have an Android phone. Simply swap your SIM card.

Camino(s) past & future
April 2017 or Sept 2017
Sometimes a factory default reset works too. But do a back up first as this will get rid of everything that is not standard on your phone...
Thanks for that reminder. I am so technically illiterate that every time my phone does something I don’t know how to fix I march down to the Apple store crying my phone is broke. They look st me and ask if I powered it off and turned it back on. I then remember they have told me that at least 20 times and I smile and nod and turn my phone off and on and like a miracle it usually works. You just can’t teach an old dog new tricks, or make them remember anything.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
I hope this doesn't sound too stupid but without much of a description of what is (or isn't) happening I'm going to stick my neck out. Maybe the camera is taking the pictures but not displaying that it did. Have you checked your gallery?

P Rat

Camino(s) past & future
Can someone please explain what OP means??? I've seen it a bit and can't for the life of me think what it could stand for....:)

If the Original Poster can see this, may I recommend a Samsung Galaxy J 3 ? Excellent pictures and video ; 2017 model will suffice. Check that phone is "unlocked" or perhaps buy from your network's own store (Vodaphone, EE etc).

PS : usual disclaimer of any commercial interests.

PPS : I meant to say that this phone is not unduly expensive (£160-00) in UK and that J 5 is also very good but may not be easy to find as it is older.

Camino(s) past & future
If the Original Poster can see this, may I recommend a Samsung Galaxy J 3 ? Excellent pictures and video ; 2017 model will suffice. Check that phone is "unlocked" or perhaps buy from your network's own store (Vodaphone, EE etc).

PS : usual disclaimer of any commercial interests.
Thanks...makes sense. lol

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Inglés 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 108 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.4%