• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Picture Fun Quest!

Clues: the building to the left of the tree is a church; the camino is behind the tree, the tree is to the West of the meseta.

Oh, and the tree can clearly be seen on google earth street view: I just checked.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Clues: the building to the left of the tree is a church; the camino is behind the tree, the tree is to the West of the meseta. Oh, and the tree can clearly be seen on google earth street view: I just checked.
Thanks for the clues AJ. I'm posting the picture again so we can see it easily on the new page 3 of this thread.
P1010559 (640x480).jpg
The CIA says it is not going to lend me their image processor to blow-up the sign on the right-hand edge. :mad:

Last edited:
Thanks for the clues AJ. I'm posting the picture again so we can see it easily on the new page 3 of this thread.
View attachment 29825
The CIA says it is not going to lend me their image processor to blow-up the sign on the right-hand edge. :mad:
yeah, I should have told you I already asked. I thought it looked like a sign I saw in Estella but this is not a church there (even without the additional clues)...so I think blowing it up would help much.
unless you mean explosives. that would be fun
running off to make a few calls....you stay busy with the satellite

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
how are you interpeting "to the west of the Meseta...meaning in the western part of it, or past the western edge?"

Iglesia de San Miguel in El Acebo de San Miguel?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you...it was a good puzzle.
mine will not be so difficult
where am I standing? (it's right on the Camino)
I will add a picture of the Camino as it runs outside the wall

Attachments

• Where am I standing.JPG
    Where am I standing.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • camino on the other side of the wall.JPG
    camino on the other side of the wall.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
maybe I should put up one more picture of the place...this one has clues

Attachments

• Dolmens and ruins and turbines, oh my.JPG
    Dolmens and ruins and turbines, oh my.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 16
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Arghhh. Very close but no. Clearly altitude sickness. Note the wind turbines and dolmen in the third (clue) picture. But you are correct it is on the Primitivo.

also no cattle or horses in this picture

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The only turbines I remember were after La Mesa......in the morning....god I must have been walking with closed eyes....or I just blame the italian girl who was talking too much?

Oh, Michael...so close. @AJ is correct, this is the ruins of the "new" Royal Hospital at Montouto.

The only turbines I remember were after La Mesa......in the morning....god I must have been walking with closed eyes....or I just blame the italian girl who was talking too much?
or maybe she was just too good looking....after Fonsagrada...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
While @AJ finds his next picture, I am headed back to the Primitivo Picture quest....:)

Oh that was here?
14611158_1290673254297243_2441887598794833512_n.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh that was here?
14611158_1290673254297243_2441887598794833512_n.jpg
could have been...so many turbines, so little time:) the ruins were "new" from the mid 14th cent because they'd been moved from the "old" location at that time...about 8km out of Fonsagrada, then a big drop down followed by a killer climb up to A Lastra...even with the Italian girl you probably remember that....
nice picture by the way, love the sky

Wild card! My internet is playing up and I doubt I manage to upload anything at the moment, SY :eek:

The rules are simple:

A Camino photo is posted.
The one who knows/posts where the photo was taken, post the next photo (or issues a wild card).
And so on.

If people have problems to solve the picture puzzle, hints may be given regarding Camino/time of year/etc.

Wanna play? I start! Where were these kids having a lot of fun on a Saturday evening? SY

IMG_6631.jpg
O Cebreiro

Try again... Carrión de los Condes

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is clearly not attracting much attention, so I will reveal the location in about 12 hours from now (when I get up!), unless...

A final clue: if you have walked the Camino you will almost certainly have visited this chapel.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
the last time he said we'd surely have visited something on the camino, it was within the last 100km--but I don't remember a church with Teutonic crosses from Melide onward (or for that matter, anywhere). In addition, the votive stand says to me still active church. I have pictures of some baptismal fonts so I know it is not Santo Tomas de Ollas, pretty sure it is not San Miguel in Estella, it is not the Church of the Crucifixion in Puente Reina, fairly certain it is not on the Norte. He's guessed places of mine not from the Frances, but so far he's only posted Frances pictures...Does anyone remember those crosses on the wall?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
otoh, when it's only pictures of the Frances that excludes people who haven't walked it:)
this is not to encourage you to post one from a really obscure camino:eek:, we have enough trouble identifying your ones from the Frances. Will you post another?

If you have been there you will get it.

Attachments

• P1000734 (640x480).jpg
    P1000734 (640x480).jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 22
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Even if you haven't been there you may get it!
I haven't been, but I do know where it is. I hope to see this someday. This must have been amazing to see in person.
I may be just the tiniest bit envious of your travels:D (this is my teeth clenched in envy emoticon)

Tell all and post your picture!
maybe we should give folks a few hours...I think there are a fair number of people who've walked this camino...I'd hate to deprive them of the chance to win...if no one posts by tomorrow, I have one ready:)
still madly envious of your many routes

A hint from me....I will walk this Camino in May 2017.....Got the 2016 edition for this Camino and will wait for my 2017 one. Hope these were enough hints.

Lisbon Cathedral (I was going to say Santiago Cathedral before but thought no! too easy!! :confused: )

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
IMG_6344.PNG :)
This is on the Francés & not as difficult as it first looks :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is, to use @AJ's phrase, is on the camino, right on the camino (well, the building housing this statue is, anyway). First clue, it is not on the Frances. Where is this statue of Santigo located? Where is this statue located.JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@AJ is being kind--but I like his pictures so I'm giving him the win (no one from the Norte seems to play this game). it's the pride of the Cistercian monks at the monasterio de Zenarruza: the work of a famous Flemish artist Guiot de Beaugrant for the burial chapel of Abbot Diego de Irusta and his influential family (heroes of the reconquest), it shows Santiago standing behind the kneeling abbot. With a history of providing care to pilgrims since the 15th century, the cloister is decorated with scallop shells above the arches (the picture below is NOT part of the game, wait for AJ to post a new one!)scallop shells.JPG . My best night in 90 days on several caminos.:)
can you see the rain? it poured on me from SJPdP until I reached Zenarruza...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd say I don't have this picture...but I've been wrong before when I said that...
so I'm just going to WAG once and go review photos
chapel of Santa Barbara

Wrong again and you must have seen that.....Another hint is that a nice couple must have stopped you and offered you coffee and you had a tour of this wonderful church.

stop tempting me to WAG. Ponte Ferreira?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Someone mentioned I need to stop posting interior chapel pictures without the exterior...:)
so here is the exterior...the road leading to the church is the camino
where is this church located (bonus for the name)?

Attachments

• theres the church.JPG
    theres the church.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • here is the inside.JPG
    here is the inside.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
I thought this was easy:(
clue: it's on the Norte...if no one guesses by the end of the day in California, I'll put up a different one....
unless anyone wants me to change it now....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
well, sorry for the last one. that is the ermita de San Miguel de Arretxinaga in the Xemein half of Markina-Xemein. This photo of the interior is from http://lugaresconhistoria.com/ because my little camera did not have the wide lens needed. The altar of this hexagonal chapel is formed by three megaliths (over 40 million years old) that pretty much fill the tall chapel Ermita-de-San-Miguel-de-Arretxinaga.jpg

I will now post two...if anyone guesses either (both of which are undoubtedly searchable) you can stop seeing my pictures of the weird and wonderful. These are different places, just to make this easier and more inclusive. You just need to guess one of them for the win.

Picture A: This is as AJ says, right on the camino (the Norte). You walk right next to this chapel with a tree growing right out the the top of it. That, however, is not the strangest part about where you are walking. What is this chapel's name/location?
chapel on the norte.JPG

Picture B: This church is very close to the modern Frances, although literature from the tourist office said it was on the ancient route. It is mentioned in at least two guides as worth visiting, and the CSJ one tells us to ask at No. 7 on the right to get the key. What is the name/location of this little gem?
little gem near the Frances.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
well, sorry for the last one. that is the ermita de San Miguel de Arretxinaga in the Xemein half of Markina-Xemein. This photo of the interior is from http://lugaresconhistoria.com/ because my little camera did not have the wide lens needed. The altar of this hexagonal chapel is formed by three megaliths (over 40 million years old) that pretty much fill the tall chapel View attachment 29942

It would have been easy if you had posted this picture!

Don't know A, but B: San Tomas de las Ollas, a detour from Ponferrada. Love the horseshoe arches.
we have a winner! @AJ is the next to post.

Picture A :is the Capilla de Santa Marina, in La Revilla as you are nearing San Vicente de la Barquera. As you approach you’ve been walking through a beautiful estuary preserve on easy walking trails (what a treat for the Norte)…and then you are walking through a golf course! The 9/18th tee to be exact, of the Santa Marina golf course. Unfortunately, at the time I was walking the clubhouse wasn’t open…no coffee for me!

Picture B: is as @AJ noted, the beautiful X century Mozarabic Iglesia de Santo Tomas de las Ollas…still an active parish church, and very welcoming to me. It is approximately two km from the Basilica de Nuestra Senora de la Encina...well worth the few extra steps, and how can you pass up a chance to go to mass in a church that old?

It would have been easy if you had posted this picture!
well, yes, sorry:(
some legends say the ancient Basque forest gods placed the rocks that way, others that St. Michael has buried Satan under the rocks...and there's even one that says to find a wife a man must pass under the rocks three times (cheaper than Match.com).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This bar is on the Portugues. Where and what is it called?

Attachments

• 544 (640x480).jpg
    544 (640x480).jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 10
If you have walked the Portugues you will have walked past this bar, or like me stopped and had a beer. If you know the location but not the name, take a look at google earth street view.

Don't just look at the tables.

No interest so far. I will reveal name and location in about 12 hours. If anyone else wants to post a photo: go ahead, provided SY agrees.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Meson Cestanos, Porta Faxeira 2, Santiago de Compostela.

The greenery beyond the tables is Parque Alameda where the Marias live. The Portugues runs past the bar and down Rua Franco to the cathedral.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, me! Jumping in late...
A wonderful experience of Camino Angels here. Right on the Frances.

Attachments

• IMG_7310.JPG
    IMG_7310.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't think I will be able to hang around to give hints or say whether something is correct or not but let me try something here. I have two photos taken some distance apart from each other and I don't know where either is exactly. I have a picture of a town name eight pictures before the coke machine and one of Peg walking the camino before the picture of the table shows up. Then two more of cows before a picture of another sign pointing off camino to a cantina. So, can anyone help me one by naming the place I don't know. I'm not naming the town or the name of the cantina though.

You can see by the pilgrims walking by the coke machine that this is right on the camino, the CF to be specific.

Attachments

• coke-machine.jpg
    coke-machine.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • donotivo-table.jpg
    donotivo-table.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The donativo table wouldn't be the one near Marcadoiro (before Portomarin), would it?
The table and coke machine come before Calvor and thus before Sarria and thus way before Portomarin.
I suppose I could virtually walk the camino and find the places again but I'm hoping someone definitely knows the location of at least one of these pictures. I thinking that someone else must have a picture of the coke machine.

BTW, these pictures were taken in July 2015.

Ha ha! I walked past there last year in early April and never noticed the coke machine, nor do I remember a donativo table between A Balsa and Sarria.
:D:eek:Not a good sign. These are hardly small or easily overlooked things.

Ha ha! I walked past there last year in early April and never noticed the coke machine, nor do I remember a donativo table between A Balsa and Sarria.
:D:eek:Not a good sign. These are hardly small or easily overlooked things.
they are, however, things that come and go...even coke machines. I was just wandering around gronze and there's a line through "coke machine" listed for an area on the Norte with the note "2016 pilgrim reports no coke machine"

they are, however, things that come and go
:DHa ha.
I knew that.
Well, maybe. (Going off, still chuckling...thanking you for the laugh, SS....)

[Backstory...I label myself as 'Buddhist,' and "all conditioned things (which definitely includes coke machines) are impermanent" is a central and very basic tenet of all Buddhist teaching.....]

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.