• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Picture Fun Quest!

:DHa ha.
I knew that.
Well, maybe. (Going off, still chuckling...thanking you for the laugh, SS....)

[Backstory...I label myself as 'Buddhist,' and "all conditioned things (which definitely includes coke machines) are impermanent" is a central and very basic tenet of all Buddhist teaching.....]

there's an alternative thread (not to draw any players away from here) Picture Fun Quest on the Primitivo. Several times a player has posted a picture. Multiple others give up saying "i must have been exhausted, altitude sickness, are you sure you were on the Primitivo, etc. Poster eventually names place. Players respond "well, I never saw that, must have missed it, walked right past it, etc"...then a few posts later players post their own pictures of the same place with the comment "oh, i guess i was there". Human memory, it's a wonderful thing. and most primitivo players probably were exhausted, distracted, or so interested in the bear tracks they forgot the chapel...:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I found many pictures of the coke machine but nothing has located it better than I already knew. This blog has a picture of both the coke machine and the donativo table. The bloggers were there about 5 weeks before us. A direct link to the blog page gives away the location so I will post a google search link instead for use of those who want to give up or to cheat.
http://www.google.com/search?q="Tod...th+lots+of+stunning+scenery.+We+take+picture"

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bear tracks?!?!
Sign me up.
This just put the Primativo on the top of my list with stars.
lions and tigers and bears...actually, bear and wolf tracks, porcupine tracks the size of a man's fist...cow skeletons...signs that tell you Danger several times each step (Danger Rocks, Danger Bees, Danger--no bears for the next 5 km [wait, what?:confused:])...but we have a new rule, the first rule about Primitivo is, no one talks about Primitivo;)

It is almost 8 hours since my last picture post with only one guess and even I don't know where it is other than between Sanxil and Furela so I'll post another. The picture was edited to remove a name. It is on the CF as seen by the arrow indicating that one should turn right.

Attachments

• m1.JPG
    m1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ok, the car has a Lugo number plate, so good chance we are in Galicia ;-) Is that the entrance to the private albergue that also sports a HUGE scallop shell? SY

Ok, the car has a Lugo number plate, so good chance we are in Galicia ;-) Is that the entrance to the private albergue that also sports a HUGE scallop shell? SY
Good guess, [Edit: Yes] Galicia. I didn't remember a huge scallop shell there so I looked online and didn't see any there other than than the yellow stylized one on a milestone at the turn.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
it looks like a really substantial gate to me, stone with heavy metal, maybe a design on it. the things at the posts don't look like shells, more like wheels...I don't think it looks like an albergue, at least not one I've seen.

Is that the entrance to the private albergue
Yes, a private albergue.

It looks like a really substantial gate to me, stone with heavy metal,
Correct.

maybe a design on it.
Looks like a design but really it had a practical use.

the things at the posts don't look like shells, more like wheels...
Wheels!

I'll consider whether to reveal the location when I get up.

Good night.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I must not have walked the Frances. :D
You should have seen it. If you missed the right turn arrow you would have walked right through the gate. Maybe you were too busy looking for lions, tigers and bears. :)
  • Hint 1: An old industrial building is out of sight. It is the albergue.
BTW, Peg and I have had bears just outside the tent in Yosemite and Glacier national parks.

You should have seen it. If you missed the right turn arrow you would have walked right through the gate. Maybe you were too busy looking for lions, tigers and bears. :)
  • Hint 1: An old industrial building is out of sight. It is the albergue.
BTW, Peg and I have had bears just outside the tent in Yosemite and Glacier national parks.
we had lions outside our tents on the serengeti, and and elephant on the maasai mara:)
but bears...that's where I draw the line...

I think the albergue is before Melide, so I looked at pictures...didn't see the gate, but the one that looked like it fit the wall is the one @SYates called, has a big shell (not an actual one I think, like a sign) in front of it

I think the albergue is before Melide, so I looked at pictures...didn't see the gate, but the one that looked like it fit the wall is the one @SYates called, has a big shell (not an actual one I think, like a sign) in front of it
Going from this location we passed through Melida on day 4. However it took us 48 walking days to do the CF. So maybe you can narrow things down with these hints.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Going from this location we passed through Melida on day 4. However it took us 48 walking days to do the CF. So maybe you can narrow things down with these hints.
well, you stopped for a while for peg. there's only small stretch of galicia before Melide, but I accidentally closed the window that had the albergue with the shell. back to looking

well, you stopped for a while for peg.
I didn't count rest days. Better hint is that in the 5 days before this stop and the 5 days after we did about 150 km, walking each day.

And here is Peg's notes for the day:
  • We only did 13 km today. We had to go through a small town after 10AM, to get stuff, like food, medications and batteries. Rick got worried that we would be shut out of the small albergues ahead, so we pulled into this one at 2PM. It's so beautiful. This used to be a mill, and there is this pond where I soaked my feet, because there isn't a freezer. No freezer, no ice. Trees all around, and some nice flowers, too. I watched the frogs and dragonflies as I soaked. The young woman who runs the place is a painter, who is pretty good representational artist. There is this painting of this place I really like, but I am not going to haul it over the mountains. We also have to make our own food out of what is stocked in the refrigerator.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I didn't count rest days. Better hint is that in the 5 days before this stop and the 5 days after we did about 150 km, walking each day.

And here is Peg's notes for the day:
  • We only did 13 km today. We had to go through a small town after 10AM, to get stuff, like food, medications and batteries. Rick got worried that we would be shut out of the small albergues ahead, so we pulled into this one at 2PM. It's so beautiful. This used to be a mill, and there is this pond where I soaked my feet, because there isn't a freezer. No freezer, no ice. Trees all around, and some nice flowers, too. I watched the frogs and dragonflies as I soaked. The young woman who runs the place is a painter, who is pretty good representational artist. There is this painting of this place I really like, but I am not going to haul it over the mountains. We also have to make our own food out of what is stocked in the refrigerator.
are you sure this isn't the one with the shell in front? it had a lot of wheels on the walls...sounds beautiful, Peg writes well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Molino de Marzan
Yes!

I just came to the computer to shut it down. Your turn @Smallest_Sparrow.

Albergue Molino de Marzán, Barbadelo, Sarria, Lugo, Galicia, Spain
It's about 7 km past Sarria where you take a sharp right turn to continue to go 15 km to Portomarín.

One of the most pleasant places we stayed at. You sleep in an old stone mill building. The kitchen, dining room and food shop is in a separate modern building. The food shop (with the usual camino drinks too) is needed as it is far from town. Has a pond and stream on the property. Very peaceful. I left all dusty after play wrestling with the dog.

The albergue:
http://www.molinomarzan.com/index_ingles.html
http://trekopedia.com/?page_id=9931

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=42.772539,-7.479746&z=18&t=h
http://trekopedia.com/?page_id=11231 (the bunk-bed symbol next to the label "LU-633")
https://www.google.com/maps/search/42.772362,+-7.480886/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!2m1!4b1

More pictures:
http://www.molinomarzan.com/fotos_ingles.html
https://www.flickr.com/nearby/42.77,-7.48?by=everyone&taken=alltime&sort=interestingness&show=detail
http://www.panoramio.com/map#lt=42.773556&ln=-7.479746&z=0&k=1&a=1&tab=1&pl=all

it will take me a few minutes to find a picture....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
OK, going on a little walk (running out of pictures that aren't too obscure)...if these don't tell you where you are in a few hours I'll put up one you all must remember
we walked over thisover this.JPG

through here
through here.JPG

around this corner
around this corner.JPG

to take this picture
arrive here.JPG
what is the name of this church (half credit for only know the name of the town):)

Wait, wait, don't tell me. I have the town. I recognized the bridge. I'll find the church.
I'll give you time to reposition the satellite...I have some yard work to do...anyone guessing in my absence feel free to move the game along

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm betting the weather was less Gothic looking when you walked...probably all birds singing, butterflies dancing...

I'll go for the half point. This is the village of Ponte Maceira between Santiago de Compostela and Negreira heading to Finisterre/Muxica. I've virtually walked through two arches but not the one pictured. I've looked on both sides of the river. The bell looks a bit like the one in Capilla de San Blas facing the bridge but the rest of the picture doesn't.

Attachments

• P1050998.JPG
    P1050998.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 5
I'll go for the half point. This is the village of Ponte Maceira between Santiago de Compostela and Negreira heading to Finisterre/Muxica. I've virtually walked through two arches but not the one pictured. I've looked on both sides of the river. The bell looks a bit like the one in Capilla de San Blas facing the bridge but the rest of the picture doesn't.
Close but not quite. give me a minute for more clues. right road

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You are so almost there, but not San Blas, which was before the bridge...but the order is bridge, arch, church
here are some more pictures...

Attachments

• were these your arches.JPG
    were these your arches.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • san blas.JPG
    san blas.JPG
    436.3 KB · Views: 2
  • church is very near by.JPG
    church is very near by.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
By the way, @Rick of Rick and Peg did not get the half point. He identified the right road, and was iffy about some of the way-points. If he had said outright the name of the town I would have awarded the half point.

This church marks what was originally the center of the town that is more easily identified by the arches and the statue that I just posted (which we walk through and past). I don't know why, but rather than this old church being the center of town, we cross through the center of town before we reach this old church at the outskirts...

order of appearance on the road to Finisterre: San Blas (since Rick mentioned it), bridge, statue (by the statue you definitely are considered in the town without question), arches (quarter point for knowing the name of the building owning these arches), church

just used google earth to confirm that this is still on the building across the street from the churchstill there.JPG

Picture 1: Okay. Name a four letter word that begins with S.
If you blow-up the picture you can see tiles spelling out "Par[ro]quial de San [X]ulian de Negreira".
I tried early on but I couldn't read the tiles in @Smallest_Sparrow's photo.

Picture 2: This pic was taken on the CF. Clue: Look beyond the pilgrims.

Attachments

• hey-look-at-the-picture-I-took.jpg
    hey-look-at-the-picture-I-took.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • where-is-this.jpg
    where-is-this.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

yeah, we've been using that word, accompanied with "hey, i guess i was there" a lot on the primitivo thread."

Looks like the a telephone booth. And are the vegetables grelos? Which would make it Galicia. Assuming it is on the Camino Francés.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you blow-up the picture you can see tiles spelling out "Par[ro]quial de San [X]ulian de Negreira".
I tried early on but I couldn't read the tiles in @Smallest_Sparrow's photo.

?Ribadiso?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found the $()%)# tree but can't find where it is

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How did you catch that? :oops: Are you stalking me? ;) That couldn't have been up 15 seconds before edited out. I'm having problems keeping my eyes open. In fact, I'm not going to try anymore; its bedtime.
I'm watching the thread, not you...tell Viranani she won and you can go to sleep

Well, I'd have said Filloval, but no R in there either....
Ramil?????????????
I think when he wakes up he will realize you were right...how could you tell that was a chestnut tree? You would have been handy on the Norte, when my guide kept giving me turn directions based on trees (all of which were bare at the time anyway)...

I'm a tree nut, and couldn't stop taking pictures of these giants, that's why. It was actually one of the first things I noticed about Rick's pic, even without the hint.
OK so I admit I followed SS's lead in checking out that link.
Good night, Rick...photo coming in a bit...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I couldn't have found the link without knowing there was a chestnut tree...googled "big chestnut tree on camino"...of course tons of pictures, and a dozen people named different towns....hmmm, kind of like this game. I'm off to sleep also...got to get up early to play Primitivo Quest with the Brits...

This should be easy; the bell tower in the background is iconic.
(Hoping memory is enough here rather than Google Earth...;))

Attachments

• IMG_7849.JPG
    IMG_7849.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 11
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I like looking at all the places you've two been that I haven't

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What are grelos?

Grelos are those vegetables you see everywhere in Galicia - and the main green ingredient of caldo. They are a member of the brassica genus - commonly known as cruciferous vegetables. So related to cabbage, broccoli, mustard greens.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I only had a closeup of Peg there as I lost a lot of my pictures. I saw the roses and Estella came to mind. To get the name of the church I used Brierley and the map showed a hill behind so I thought I was right.

On to a new pic. I'm running out because they are too easy or I don't even know where they are (I didn't copy road sign pictures from the camera to the tablet and only a few of the others and until Galicia I only have the tablet photos.)

So, it's my picture of somewhere on the CF and it shows preparation for a celebration.
J03000-HOR.jpg

Corpus Christ in Carrion de los Condes? SY
Yes, and that is two of the nuns from Santa Maria decorating the street in front of the church. A whole street (along the camino) gets covered with agricultural products. We left in the morning so we didn't get to see it finished. Here is another picture of the place:
J03400-VER.jpg

Ok, that was one lucky guess! So here an easy one for all of you:

IMG_6537.jpg

For some reason I'm no longer getting images when people post them, but just text (e.g., "IMG_6537.jpg").
:(
It does not sound like others are having this problem, so it must be my connection.
Maybe by the time @mspath puts her image up it will be back to normal.
Unfortunately here it is bedtime.

Good question. :D
It's got to be on the Frances...but...well, I don't remember being there (if I ever have), wherever it is.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.