• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims with severe balance problems: how do you manage?

malingerer

samarkand
Time of past OR future Camino
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
I have a severe balance problem ( incurable) which has badly affected my ability to walk any great distances. Thank god for pacer poles! I cannot ride a two wheel cycle either because of this. MY final solution is an adult tricycle. Can I hire such a beast in Spain or would this be a legitimate use of crowdfunding to buy one? I am 85 and of limited means! Recent attempts in Spain (May) caused me severe injury with falls so thank God my love dove was with me and I cannot praise enough the kindness of Strangers. I want a genuine adult tricycle of the racing/touring mode and NOT a shopping trolley in disguise! Have thought of hiking trolley but not sure if this would work for me. Any advice/ hints/ tips sources will be greatly appreciated as I do NOT intend giving up CAMINO :)

Samarkand

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can’t imagine a trike working very well on the Frances. It certainly cannot negotiate the hiking path with its steps, mud, narrow parts, rocks, etc. And the cycle route generally is on well-traveled roadways that lack bike lanes so you’d be moving slowly in a busy traffic lane. You might want to reconsider your choice of route.

I have never seen a trike on the trail or in Spain, but of course they exist, just more of a rarity perhaps? And renting one may be even more rare.

I can’t imagine a trike working very well on the Frances. It certainly cannot negotiate the hiking path with its steps, mud, narrow parts, rocks, etc. And the cycle route generally is on well-traveled roadways that lack bike lanes so you’d be moving slowly in a busy traffic lane. You might want to reconsider your choice of route.

I have never seen a trike on the trail or in Spain, but of course they exist, just more of a rarity perhaps? And renting one may be even more rare.
As I feared ! BUT there are E~TRIKES which might be safer on roadways if i am sufficiently lit up! Thanks anyway :)

Samarkand.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dang! Lack of balance is a tricky one. Re going on roads. I once saw (stopped and chatted with) a guy who had two skateboards hinged together .. they were his own make so longer and wider than real skateboards ... had his baggage on the rear one, stood on the front one and used a long pole to push himself along.
Nothing to do with trike on road really, just that he had done hundreds of miles that way and hadn't been killed (though could have been afterwards as I never met him again :)).

I do agree with VacaJoe that it just wouldn't work on the actual Camino in many many places ... and even fit cyclists often have to push their bikes up ascents, and walk them down descents.

I have a balance problem (blood pressure fall. I sit down until it stops (5-10 seconds)). Not sure if this helps. I will test in my next Camino starting 2 weeks from now, if all goes well. Using a tricycle would mean choosing the way of biclists as I can understand, bc parts of the path are meant for walkers. Doable for you, IMHO.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have a severe balance problem ( incurable) which has badly affected my ability to walk any great distances. Thank god for pacer poles! I cannot ride a two wheel cycle either because of this. MY final solution is an adult tricycle. Can I hire such a beast in Spain or would this be a legitimate use of crowdfunding to buy one? I am 85 and of limited means! Recent attempts in Spain (May) caused me severe injury with falls so thank God my love dove was with me and I cannot praise enough the kindness of Strangers. I want a genuine adult tricycle of the racing/touring mode and NOT a shopping trolley in disguise! Have thought of hiking trolley but not sure if this would work for me. Any advice/ hints/ tips sources will be greatly appreciated as I do NOT intend giving up CAMINO :)

Samarkand

I would recommend - if you haven't done so already- that you try out a few tricycles before you buy, rent or borrow one and see what the experience brings you.
If you feel at ease and happy on a tricycle, new ideas may come to you. And even new Caminos.

I would recommend - if you haven't done so already- that you try out a few tricycles before you buy, rent or borrow one and see what the experience brings you.
If you feel at ease and happy on a tricycle, new ideas may come to you. And even new Caminos.
Thank you!

Samarkand.

Hi Malingerer .. have been thinking about your balance problem, well, lack of balance problem ... and I wondered if a trike - expensive and unwieldy beast that it would be - is actually the answer and decided that it isn't.

I wondered if there are stabilisers for adult bikes so Googled and there are! - specifically for those with balance problems! Though you could also go down the sidecar route, though they are expensive.

Here a couple of photos and links - and they fit any adult bike ... also means that if you took them off (easy enough if a model that is simple axle fit) you could take your bike on a train anywhere ... just a thought.
Would mean that on easier Camino terrain you could cycle on it and just go to road when the Camino would be too difficult?

I love the lightweight trailer (don't worry, they sell it without the children) .. great for rucksack! and .. all you would actually need is a wheel fitted to a long bar with secure bolt on to the frame .. could be simple .. then attach a light board to accept the rucksack? because you wouldn't need the expensive 'car' part of the sidecar - maybe they would sell the skeleton at a fraction of the price?

Training-wheels-2.jpg

stabilisers.jpg

Scandinavian-Side-Car2.jpg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
would this be a legitimate use of crowdfunding to buy one?

I don’t know about the legitimacy of it, but I question whether it would be successful. You may have a group of friends that would be happy to help you purchase a scooter, but as a general appeal to the public at large it strikes me as a big ask.

I don’t know about the legitimacy of it, but I question whether it would be successful. You may have a group of friends that would be happy to help you purchase a scooter, but as a general appeal to the public at large it strikes me as a big ask.
I was asking about a TRICYCLE AS IN CYCLING TERMS not a mobility scooter but thanks for reply anyway.

Samarkand.

Not to appear unhelpful, because I do admire your courage and determination to figure out a way to do a Camino walk/bike.
I come across people every time I walk that have grossly over estimated their health and abilities and as a result have had to cab, bus or quit altogether.
Even for completely able bodied and fit people a Camino is likely the toughest thing most will do in their life time.
A trike really isn't suited to any trail use other than hard level paths or gravel roads. The width of it would an issue on many trails and impossible on hills or descents.
Many of the paved roads have narrow shoulders, so a trike would be a challenge to keep out of a traffic lane completely.
I am an avid cyclist at home and have zero desire to cycle a Camino after watching so many struggle with hills (up and down) and especially when it rains and the Spanish clay jams their wheels solid to the frame.
Perhaps a bus aided tour with short sessions on the trail might suit you best.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here's the blog of Manel Flores. He suffers from ataxia and travelled the Mozárabe from north of Córdoba to SdC by trike this summer. A trike that was especially adapted for him.

https://porlaataxianomerindo.com/

Manel-Flores-Obradoiro-Santiago-Hinojosa_1798930398_186031666_667x375.jpg

Not to appear unhelpful, because I do admire your courage and determination to figure out a way to do a Camino walk/bike.
I come across people every time I walk that have grossly over estimated their health and abilities and as a result have had to cab, bus or quit altogether.
Even for completely able bodied and fit people a Camino is likely the toughest thing most will do in their life time.
A trike really isn't suited to any trail use other than hard level paths or gravel roads. The width of it would an issue on many trails and impossible on hills or descents.
Many of the paved roads have narrow shoulders, so a trike would be a challenge to keep out of a traffic lane completely.
I am an avid cyclist at home and have zero desire to cycle a Camino after watching so many struggle with hills (up and down) and especially when it rains and the Spanish clay jams their wheels solid to the frame.
Perhaps a bus aided tour with short sessions on the trail might suit you best.
I too have no desire to use a cycle on the Camino trails. I have ben doing Camino for 20 Years having started when I was 65 and have cycle camped In Brittany. I would be quite happy to use side roads. I am quite fit for my age and am ex forces and have some experience of " toughest things " :) I do appreciate your input however and your final sentence! I will now go and admire the Compostelas nailed to my walls :)

Samarkand.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.