Search 69,459 Camino Questions

places to stay on the Camino Primitivo

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
I know I cannot carry a full pack while on Camino, and I will need a transfer service for my luggage. Is it possible to transfer one's luggage to an albergue, or will they only accept it at hotels?

I have booked my own lodging on the Camino Ingles and Finesterra, but not on CP. Has anyone made a recent list of places to stay along the CP?

Thanks!
Susan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
PM me I have an excel sheet used last year .
Traditional allergies won’t accept delivered luggage.
I used the Correos - excellent service.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is it possible to transfer one's luggage to an albergue, or will they only accept it at hotels?
Depends on the Albergue, whether they have staff available and willing to receive and take responsibility among other factors. The transport provider(s) will know who does or doesn't. Many also use local bars as drop-offs. On the Primitivo specifically I believe Correos to be the sole provider. They will advise.

I'm going to be starting the Norte / primitivo for the first time this June so just general comment. However after 2 CF and a Vdlp the only alburge I can remember that doesn't accept pilgrims freighting bags is the English one in Rabanel. Some alburges aren't open early to accept bags so have a bar or something nearby that is used to drop off the bags. On the Vdlp for most of the distance there was not any bag transit due to lack of demand. Better to check on this way.

In the Spanish section of this downloadpage of the Dutch Confraternity (with a google translate button on top) you will find a recently updated albergue list of the Primitivo. You can download it as PDF but also as a KML/GPX file to import it in apps like maps.me etc. On top of the downloadpage you find an English manual how to do this.
The file itself is in Dutch, but easy to understand in other languages.

About luggage transfer: in general the municipals and xunta albergues don't take luggage, most others (also private albergues) do.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oviedo - Hotel Vestusa 16 rooms 45 Euros small but nice
Grado - Hotel Restaurante Auto-Bar 39 rooms 20 Euros good food- tired rooms
Salas - Hotel Soto 10 rooms 20 Euros right on Camino nice old building
Tineo - Hotel Palacio de Meras 29 rooms 45 Euros very swanky- gourmet food
Pola de Allende - Hotel La Nueva Allandesa 39 rooms 25 Euros old world feel -excellent authentic food
Grandas de Salime - Hotel La Barra 11 rooms 40 euros Modern- good restaurant block away
A Fonsagrada - Albergue - Pension Cantabrico 14 rooms 30 Euros Modern clean - Pulperia Caldeira absolutely fantastic octopus restaurant that gets bagpipers in bar on Sundays.

Oviedo - Hotel Vestusa 16 rooms 45 Euros small but nice
Grado - Hotel Restaurante Auto-Bar 39 rooms 20 Euros good food- tired rooms
Salas - Hotel Soto 10 rooms 20 Euros right on Camino nice old building
Tineo - Hotel Palacio de Meras 29 rooms 45 Euros very swanky- gourmet food
Pola de Allende - Hotel La Nueva Allandesa 39 rooms 25 Euros old world feel -excellent authentic food
Grandas de Salime - Hotel La Barra 11 rooms 40 euros Modern- good restaurant block away
A Fonsagrada - Albergue - Pension Cantabrico 14 rooms 30 Euros Modern clean - Pulperia Caldeira absolutely fantastic octopus restaurant that gets bagpipers in bar on Sundays.
Thanks for the list. Handy if we can't get in an alburge. Useful to know to avoid that pulperia on a Sunday ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
No Nomad! Do not avoid the Pulperia Caldereira on Sundays. Go there! The pipers are downstairs in the bar and I was eating upstairs, after a lonely and isolate Camino on the Primitivo, it was very fun to be at the "party". Really a once in a lifetime experience not to be missed!

When you get to Lugo there is a fantastic Chinese Restaurant which has the best Peking Duck! It is Restaurante Chino Shanghai -62 Rua San Roque about 4-5 blocks outside the old Roman wall of the city (SSE)
(to the south and east) About 3/4 of their business is take out and there is a steady stream of young guys pealing out of this place on motorcycles to make takeout delivery - surreal. I went there three times!

We found Gronze - Camino Primitivo helpful for finding accommodation details. Includes opening times etc but not whether they accept luggage. As a rough guide usually paid private accommodation does and albergues do not, although some private ones may do so.
You can ignore the 'given' stages and create your own combining it with the list of Correos drop off points to create the stages that suit you best.
Buen Camino

In the Spanish section of this downloadpage of the Dutch Confraternity (with a google translate button on top) you will find a recently updated albergue list of the Primitivo. You can download it as PDF but also as a KML/GPX file to import it in apps like maps.me etc. On top of the downloadpage you find an English manual how to do this.
The file itself is in Dutch, but easy to understand in other languages.

About luggage transfer: in general the municipals and xunta albergues don't take luggage, most others (also private albergues) do.
Hi how did you translate the pdf file to english?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi how did you translate the pdf file to english?
If you are on a computer, you can copy them out of a PDF, then paste it in Google translate.
Most text will be quit easy to understand. Last sunday there was a recent update, check when you downloaded it.
Here is the translation what is written in top:
This file is made by the Dutch Society of Saint Jacob (NGSJ). Feedback, additions and improvements are very welcome and help keep this list up to date. Mail for this to: overnachtingen@santiago.nl
Check for the most current version www.santiago.nl/downloads
In addition to this file, there are also similar files from the camino Frances, and from Dutch, French, Belgian and Portuguese caminos. This is version date: March 1, 2020

Legend
L = Accommodation
LO = Bed & Breakfast
HP = Bed & Breakfast-Dinner

If you want a bit of spoiling there's a sparkling new albergue just beyond downtown Salas, called Casa de Suenos. (part of a hotel, all of it run by a lovely Spanish-Brazilian couple.) Also in Salas is one of the finest fixed-menu mom-and-pop eateries on any camino: Casa Pachon. FIVE courses, all of them huge, made for the past 40-plus years by Milagros.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I am starting El Camino Primitivo from Oviedo in 3 days. I will try to follow the normal stages and will attempt to do the Hospital route, if the weather permits it. During my research...
Hello to All !! My wife and I are looking at doing the Camino Primitivo sometime around the beginning of May 2024. We are both retired, in relatively good shape having recently completed a high...
Hey all, I would like to plan a Camino for my Easter holidays. I like the look of the Primitivo but as a complete first timer, I’m a little lost in all of the different options. The community...
I did the Camino Frances from St. Jean in 2022. I wouldn't call it life changing or anything that dramatic, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so freeing to unburden myself of responsibilities...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back