• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please help with my packing list - taking dresses - am i daft?

LouiseEdin

Louise Edinburgh
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015; finnesterre 2015; CP from porto 2016; Frances 2017; Mozarabe Feb 2018; CP Sept 2018;
Hello lovely Camino people, I have a trial rucsac packed at my side, and would love feedback on my packing. My packed rucsac with everything in it except boots 1 pair of socks and a change of underwear weighs 6.2 kilos, so not sure why my spreadsheet says it's much heavier, scales are accurate digital ones.

Am leaving SJPdP on 15th April 2015, and expecting cold and snow. I wear a dress for walking (hiking) a lot, and have 2 pairs silk legging I can double up if it's really cold, plus waterproof trousers. Flying back on 21st May so expect some hot walking days too. I also have a 1/2 season sleeping bag with a 10 deg comfort range, so expect to be wearing quite a lot of my clothes in bed some nights

Tried to upload my spreadsheet but it didn't work, so a couple of explanations: Items marked w at start are things I'll wear, and there are 2 weights for that taken off the rucsac total, so, wearing on a cool day weight is taken off the total weight at bottom. The numbers are all in grammes

Questions:
Do I need a sleeping mat? Would it protect from any bedbugs?

Wearing on cool day 2701

Clothes
in 2 waterproof sacs 91
Item description weight remarks
Dress silk long sleeves 206 will cut poly lining out nearer time prob be half the weight
w Dress silk cap sleeves 200 to dye?
Dress thin cotton cap sleeves 88 already torn, to leave there
w cardigan light blue buttons to neck 207
Vest silk orange sleeveless 56 wear under or sleep in
w Thermal top silk white long sleeves 116 to dye? Can wear over or under or sleep in, thin enough for sun protection
w Long johns silk black 115 sleep in or under dress
Long johns silk white 122 to dye? Sleep in or under dress, or wear 2 pairs if cold
w Bra light colour 66
w Knickers light colour 30
Bra any 57
Knickers any 15
Bra purple 36 to sleep in, also as top if v hot
Knickers to match both bras 22
w Scarf orange pashmina 143 blanket, undersheet, towel, warm layer, rug, skirt, dressing gown from shower
Scarf silk vari blue 46 very light, privacy curtain in bunk, towel, sun protection, hair band, bandage, pillow cover, light blanket
w Scarf silk pink 51 hair towel, washing line, can rip bits off for ties, mosquito net over doors and windows, hot water bottle cover
Buff purple 49 neck warmer, hair band, wrist band, face mask, eye mask, keeps earplugs in
w Socks thin black 32 as gloves, with sandles at night, can cut up for hand warmers or gaiters, over eyes
w Socks Teko 79
Socks Teko 85
Socks Teko 82
w Rab jacket purple microfleece 382 mornings evenings, to sleep in, has hood, as pillow
Poncho crap cheap thing 181 prob buy one there
Trousers waterproof crap cheap thing 145 Extra layer in wind and snow, can cut legs short, or cut off bits as gaiters with duck tape
w Salomon boots with orthotics 1312
Keen sandals 594 need extra support & to wear with orthotics
Total weight 4608

Washbag in ziplock bag 7
Soap 12 enough for 3 days
shampoo 15 enough for 3 days
conditioner 13 enough for 3 days
toothbrush 15
toothpaste 9 enough for 3 days
deoderant 14 could make smaller
sunscreen 18
Nappy liner cloth 9 2/3 bit for drying off
tissues 10 toilet paper
contact lenses disposable 50
safety pins 2
dental floss 0 tiny roll
daily meds & pills 55
Total weight 229

Make up in ziplock bag 2
Lipstick mini 2
Face cream 10
Serum 8
Eye cream 7
Foundation 10 with sunscreen
Eye pencil 2
mascara 14
coconut oil 28 as cleanser, aftersun, emergency food, emergency fire
Nappy liner 4 1/3 bit for taking off makeup
mirror 21
hairgrips 3 2
glasses 30 get lighter case less than 7
Total weight 140

Foot pack ziplock bag 5
Tape 4 for toes
plasters 40 preventative toe
Slippy stick 23
Knife needle 27
compeed 11
lighter 12
Total weight 122

Rucsac pockets and on rucsac
Tissues 10
Lipstick mini 3
Lipsalve 2 as sun screen spf 30 or tiny one
Hydration tabs 29 will buy magnesium when they run out. Enough for first 3 days
Water bottle 39 also hot water bottle, cold compress
Stone 55 Burden from beach walk
Arnica 2
Shell 20 greg to drill hole
Pour & store bags and wee poly bags 22 down back pocket, for food
tiny fork 2 for tuna, yoghurt
Sunglasses in case 37
Total weight 221

etc
Rucsac osprey33 845
daybag 180 shopping, pub and rest days, waterproof enough for the shower
waterproof sac 42 for dirty laundry or damp clothes, use as scrubba bag
phone & charger 102
ipod touch, earphones & charger 202
passport 36
E111 card 5
Bank cards & Credit card 15 don't keep all in one place, email self numbers and stolen contact phone details
money in plastic bag 161 get rid of uk change, try to spend all money
first aid plastic bag 2
Duck tape 8
Neurofen for 3 days take out of bubble packaging
Total weight 1604

sleeping
sleeping bag 905
mat 105
ear plugs 8
Total weight 1018

overflow
meds & pills 200 for rest of month, in 5 day bags
Total weight 200

Grand total of everything 8142
Minus clothes marked w therefore carrying 5441 for cool days
Minus clothes wearing on sunny day, so carrying 6484
Water & food 1000

Thanks you so much, this comes into my dreams

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there! The packlist looks good at first glance, I just thought I'd comment on the dress question: If you walk/hike in dresses a lot and are used to it and comfortable in it, and you don't experience chafing (or have resolved that problem) then there is no reason why you shouldn't. I have a merino dress weighing 135 g which I might take next time for evening or sleep wear. As long as you have layers - and you have - it's a great way of regulating the temperature. Also no, you don't need a sleeping mat. Others will be along shortly for an in-depth review I'm sure!

Hi there! The packlist looks good at first glance, I just thought I'd comment on the dress question: If you walk/hike in dresses a lot and are used to it and comfortable in it, and you don't experience chafing (or have resolved that problem) then there is no reason why you shouldn't. I have a merino dress weighing 135 g which I might take next time for evening or sleep wear. As long as you have layers - and you have - it's a great way of regulating the temperature. Also no, you don't need a sleeping mat. Others will be along shortly for an in-depth review I'm sure!
Thank you very much. Yes I wear a dress and find it very comfortable and practical, especially for that quick pee, and don't have chaffing

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As long as what you bring is tried and tested and you know it works for you, you'll be fine. I am walking in March so expect quite cold weather and though I am bringing few clothes, just about all of them are merino. Top tip: it gets very windy on the meseta and in the mountains, if you are prone to chills and colds you should bring a good hat or fold your Buff up and use that. Also I always advocate the small nail scissors for cutting nails, straps, packaging, bandaids to fit etc ... and you'll need more than 2 safety pins to hang your washing! Also why are you only taking soap etc for three days?

As long as what you bring is tried and tested and you know it works for you, you'll be fine. I am walking in March so expect quite cold weather and though I am bringing few clothes, just about all of them are merino. Top tip: it gets very windy on the meseta and in the mountains, if you are prone to chills and colds you should bring a good hat or fold your Buff up and use that. Also I always advocate the small nail scissors for cutting nails, straps, packaging, bandaids to fit etc ... and you'll need more than 2 safety pins to hang your washing! Also why are you only taking soap etc for three days?
Yes, all tried and tested. I'm taking my Rab jacket that has a hood, and my buff, and also a cashmere scarf I can put round my head, neck, body and thin socks as gloves. Taking 10 safety pins, 2 is the weight, and soap for 3 days ( and shampoo etc) enough to get me to Pamplona where i can buy more and refill my wee bottles. I have scissors on my credit card sized pen knife thingy. Thanks very much for your feedback

I walk in trousers, have various layers etc but I take a dress (180gms) to wear in the afternoon or as night wear in warmer weather. I can wear it with a long sleeve vest and longjohns if needed, or with a longsleeve shirt if it is too hot to have bare arms. One of my best bits of kit and not seen as an 'extra'.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No, you do NOT need a sleeping mat and no, it would not protect you from bedbugs. They'll crawl right up onto it.
It's the one item I see in the free boxes more than any other.

Here are things I'd leave home or change.

I'd only take 2 bras; one to wear and one to wash
I'd only take 1 scarf
I'd only take 2 pair of socks
I would leave all makeup, face cream, lipstick, mascara, eye pencils, etc. home.
I would not take a mirror
I wouldn't bother with a fork - pick up a free one on the trail
I'm not sure why you need yet another tiny lipstick?
I wouldn't bother with hydration tablets? There are plenty of fountains along the trail.
I would leave the ipod home and instead listen to the sounds of nature and the music of the Camino in order to get the full experience. . . and TALK to other pilgrims

I would, on the other hand, take 1 DOZEN nappy pins instead of 2 and use them for hanging wet laundry and a hundred other uses

I brought a skirt on my first couple of caminos, and used it for après-walking. So did my walking partner. At that time, it was so odd to see pilgrims not in pants, that we were known as the "Madames" by our camino family (I can assure you that had an innocent connotation!). I have since ditched the skirt for a second pair of pants, but think that these extremely lightweight dresses would be very comfortable and much used.

I take a dress (180gms) to wear in the afternoon or as night wear in warmer weather.

Tia, I know you´re closer to my demographic than the young peregrinas who look so great in some of these featherweight dresses. Would you mind sharing some info about your dress? Thanks, buen camino, Laurie

No, you do NOT need a sleeping mat and no, it would not protect you from bedbugs. They'll crawl right up onto it.

I'd only take 1 scarf
I would leave all makeup, face cream, lipstick, mascara, eye pencils, etc. home.
I wouldn't bother with hydration tablets? There are plenty of fountains along the trail.
I would leave the ipod home and instead listen to the sounds of nature and the music of the Camino in order to get the full experience. . . and TALK to other pilgrims

I would, on the other hand, take 1 DOZEN nappy pins instead of 2 and use them for hanging wet laundry and a hundred other uses
Everything Annie says! I am amazed and jealous of all these dress & skirt hikers! It sounds so comfortable. But how do you resolve the chafing problem? (probably by being skinnier than me :rolleyes:)?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Would one dress be enough? Especially in the rainy season?
A top with leggings would weigh less.

That does seem like a lot of beauty products.
I've always found that makeup is the first thing to go on camping trips...then any normal hair styling...then frequent showers... ;)

I'd only take 1 scarf

Hi Anne Santiago, thanks for your feedback, one bra is for my comfort to sleep in, very uncomfortable not wearing it. Am taking scars instead of towels, one for hair. 3 May be too much my socks are thick and take ages to dry, the thin pair are as gloves or to cut up as gaiters
We, yea, the make up thing, some of it is to protect my skin from the sun or wind, and some is vanity, I'll be interested to see if I care about make up after a week, the lipsticks are teeny tiny, so I thought I'd take 2
The mirror is for my contact lenses
That's the fork gone
Hydration tablets are what I use all the time and get cramp without them. An only taking enough for first 3 days

The iPod is not for music at all, my feelings are the same as you on this, but for checking emails, I don't have a smart phone. I'm self employed and will need to keep a vague eye on my clients
Thanks very much for your input

Everything Annie says! I am amazed and jealous of all these dress & skirt hikers! It sounds so comfortable. But how do you resolve the chafing problem? (probably by being skinnier than me :rolleyes:)?
Hi Liz, I have never had a chafing problem with dresses and bare legs or leggings, but have had huge problems with trousers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I've always found that makeup is the first thing to go on camping trips...then any normal hair styling...then frequent showers... ;)
Yes, lots of make up but all very tiny, and they may well go

I brought a skirt on my first couple of caminos, and used it for après-walking. So did my walking partner. At that time, it was so odd to see pilgrims not in pants, that we were known as the "Madames" by our camino family (I can assure you that had an innocent connotation!). I have since ditched the skirt for a second pair of pants, but think that these extremely lightweight dresses would be very comfortable and much used.

Tia, I know you´re closer to my demographic than the young peregrinas who look so great in some of these featherweight dresses. Would you mind sharing some info about your dress? Thanks, buen camino, Laurie
It is a now discontinued dress from Rohan. Sleeveless and mid-calf length with a tieback to give it shape. I love it. Perhaps I should ask Terry to take a photo of me wearing it and post it later :)

Hi Liz, I have never had a chafing problem with dresses and bare legs or leggings, but have had huge problems with trousers
So interesting! We are all constructed so differently. I get chafing on hot summer days just wearing a dress without hose to church :(! I think if I hiked in a dress I would have more blisters on my inner thighs than on my feet. On the other hand while I can see that the seam and fabric in pants and shorts could cause chafing, I haven't had an issue with soft well constructed hiking pants (with flat fell seams)! Liz

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My remarks in italic:

Questions:
Do I need a sleeping mat? Would it protect from any bedbugs? - No and no.

Make up in ziplock bag 2

Lipstick mini 2 - leave it at home
Face cream 10 - leave it at home
Serum 8 - leave it at home
Eye cream 7 - leave it at home
Foundation 10 with sunscreen - leave it at home, normal sunscreen with a high factor will do
Eye pencil 2 - leave it at home
mascara 14 - leave it at home
coconut oil 28 as cleanser, aftersun, emergency food, emergency fire - leave it at home
Nappy liner 4 1/3 bit for taking off makeup - leave the make-up at home and you won't need this.

Foot pack ziplock bag 5

Slippy stick 23 - what is that?
Knife needle 27 - what is that?

lighter 12 -only if you are a smoker, otherwise, for what?

Lipstick mini 3 - Yes it is light, no you don't need it.

etc

daybag 180 shopping, pub and rest days, waterproof enough for the shower - too heavy! replace with a very light fabric bag or similar as you are already taking the next item:

sleeping

mat 105 - leave it at home

I'm taking 3 dresses, can also later or sleep in, and one is already torn so it may not last for long. Yes, I hope my makeup get ditched too, but am taking tiny amount

My remarks in italic:

Questions:
Do I need a sleeping mat? Would it protect from any bedbugs? - No and no.

Make up in ziplock bag 2

Lipstick mini 2 - leave it at home
Face cream 10 - leave it at home
Serum 8 - leave it at home
Eye cream 7 - leave it at home
Foundation 10 with sunscreen - leave it at home, normal sunscreen with a high factor will do
Eye pencil 2 - leave it at home
mascara 14 - leave it at home
coconut oil 28 as cleanser, aftersun, emergency food, emergency fire - leave it at home
Nappy liner 4 1/3 bit for taking off makeup - leave the make-up at home and you won't need this.

Foot pack ziplock bag 5

Slippy stick 23 - what is that?
Knife needle 27 - what is that?

lighter 12 -only if you are a smoker, otherwise, for what?

Lipstick mini 3 - Yes it is light, no you don't need it.

etc

daybag 180 shopping, pub and rest days, waterproof enough for the shower - too heavy! replace with a very light fabric bag or similar as you are already taking the next item:

sleeping

mat 105 - leave it at home
Thank you very much, my excuses: my skin is very sensitive and I can't use water on my face, I would have a big inflamed and cracked face without the cleanser and face cream. Don't know how other people manage without.
Slippy stick is the compeed glide stick
The knife needle thing is the credit card sized victorex knife, scissors needle etc, don't know if I can take it on the plane or get one in Spain
Lighter to sterilize needles in case of blister

Was wondering about the day bag, have a very light silk one I can take instead, but it's not very big. Thanks very much for your help, the sleeping mat has already gone. Ok, just one lipstick

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It sounds like you are pretty confident of your style and your comfort. So if that all weighs less than 6.5 kg, you will bring variety from all the standard (i.e. boring) wardrobes such as mine.

My specific suggestions:
  • No sleeping mat. (We had a recent thread here which showed unprecedented forum unanimity that mats are NOT needed.)
  • Take many nappy pins
  • Test whether you like the silk scarves as towels (I prefer a cotton dish towel and/or facecloth)
  • Upgrade your rain wear

I don't use water on my face either---at home. I am also the queen of face creams, so I understand. I promise you that you will not be bothering with make up on your Camino, but if the items are small and you don't mind tossing them out, no biggie. I think that you will begin washing your face in the shower, because any other method is just too cumbersome. Moisturizing face cream? Oh heck yes!!! Especially after that water thing on your face. You can survive without serums and eye creams and lifters for the month and just cream, cream, cream. I took only a small amount of my Estée Lauder and quickly had to replenish with something I had never heard of. It was fine but it was nice to get back to my line up of TEN products. :)

It is a now discontinued dress from Rohan. Sleeveless and mid-calf length with a tieback to give it shape. I love it. Perhaps I should ask Terry to take a photo of me wearing it and post it later :)

OOH, a fashion show!!! I´ll have to take a look on some travel websites and see what I see. Though my impression was the last time I looked that the weight was nowhere near as little as yours. Thanks, Tia.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello lovely Camino people, I have a trial rucsac packed at my side, and would love feedback on my packing. My packed rucsac with everything in it except boots 1 pair of socks and a change of underwear weighs 6.2 kilos, so not sure why my spreadsheet says it's much heavier, scales are accurate digital ones.

Am leaving SJPdP on 15th April 2015, and expecting cold and snow. I wear a dress for walking (hiking) a lot, and have 2 pairs silk legging I can double up if it's really cold, plus waterproof trousers. Flying back on 21st May so expect some hot walking days too. I also have a 1/2 season sleeping bag with a 10 deg comfort range, so expect to be wearing quite a lot of my clothes in bed some nights

Tried to upload my spreadsheet but it didn't work, so a couple of explanations: Items marked w at start are things I'll wear, and there are 2 weights for that taken off the rucsac total, so, wearing on a cool day weight is taken off the total weight at bottom. The numbers are all in grammes

Questions:
Do I need a sleeping mat? Would it protect from any bedbugs?

Wearing on cool day 2701

Clothes
in 2 waterproof sacs 91
Dress silk long sleeves 206 will cut poly lining out nearer time prob be half the weight
w Dress silk cap sleeves 200 to dye?
Dress thin cotton cap sleeves 88 already torn, to leave there
w cardigan light blue buttons to neck 207
Vest silk orange sleeveless 56 wear under or sleep in
w Thermal top silk white long sleeves 116 to dye? Can wear over or under or sleep in, thin enough for sun protection
w Long johns silk black 115 sleep in or under dress
Long johns silk white 122 to dye? Sleep in or under dress, or wear 2 pairs if cold
w Bra light colour 66
w Knickers light colour 30
Bra any 57
Knickers any 15
Bra purple 36 to sleep in, also as top if v hot
Knickers to match both bras 22
w Scarf orange pashmina 143 blanket, undersheet, towel, warm layer, rug, skirt, dressing gown from shower
Scarf silk vari blue 46 very light, privacy curtain in bunk, towel, sun protection, hair band, bandage, pillow cover, light blanket
w Scarf silk pink 51 hair towel, washing line, can rip bits off for ties, mosquito net over doors and windows, hot water bottle cover
Buff purple 49 neck warmer, hair band, wrist band, face mask, eye mask, keeps earplugs in
w Socks thin black 32 as gloves, with sandles at night, can cut up for hand warmers or gaiters, over eyes
w Socks Teko 79
Socks Teko 85
Socks Teko 82
w Rab jacket purple microfleece 382 mornings evenings, to sleep in, has hood, as pillow
Poncho crap cheap thing 181 prob buy one there
Trousers waterproof crap cheap thing 145 Extra layer in wind and snow, can cut legs short, or cut off bits as gaiters with duck tape
w Salomon boots with orthotics 1312
Keen sandals 594 need extra support & to wear with orthotics
Total weight 4608

Washbag in ziplock bag 7
Soap 12 enough for 3 days
shampoo 15 enough for 3 days
conditioner 13 enough for 3 days
toothbrush 15
toothpaste 9 enough for 3 days
deoderant 14 could make smaller
sunscreen 18
Nappy liner cloth 9 2/3 bit for drying off
tissues 10 toilet paper
contact lenses disposable 50
safety pins 2
dental floss 0 tiny roll
daily meds & pills 55
Total weight 229

Make up in ziplock bag 2
Lipstick mini 2
Face cream 10
Serum 8
Eye cream 7
Foundation 10 with sunscreen
Eye pencil 2
mascara 14
coconut oil 28 as cleanser, aftersun, emergency food, emergency fire
Nappy liner 4 1/3 bit for taking off makeup
mirror 21
hairgrips 3 2
glasses 30 get lighter case less than 7
Total weight 140

Foot pack ziplock bag 5
Tape 4 for toes
plasters 40 preventative toe
Slippy stick 23
Knife needle 27
compeed 11
lighter 12
Total weight 122

Rucsac pockets and on rucsac
Tissues 10
Lipstick mini 3
Lipsalve 2 as sun screen spf 30 or tiny one
Hydration tabs 29 will buy magnesium when they run out. Enough for first 3 days
Water bottle 39 also hot water bottle, cold compress
Stone 55 Burden from beach walk
Arnica 2
Shell 20 greg to drill hole
Pour & store bags and wee poly bags 22 down back pocket, for food
tiny fork 2 for tuna, yoghurt
Sunglasses in case 37
Total weight 221

etc
Rucsac osprey33 845
daybag 180 shopping, pub and rest days, waterproof enough for the shower
phone & charger 102
ipod touch, earphones & charger 202
passport 36
E111 card 5
Bank cards & Credit card 15 don't keep all in one place, email self numbers and stolen contact phone details
money in plastic bag 161 get rid of uk change, try to spend all money
first aid plastic bag 2
Duck tape 8
Neurofen for 3 days take out of bubble packaging
Total weight 1604

sleeping
sleeping bag 905
mat 105
ear plugs 8
Total weight 1018

overflow
meds & pills 200 for rest of month, in 5 day bags
Total weight 200

Grand total of everything 8142
Minus clothes marked w therefore carrying 5441 for cool days
Minus clothes wearing on sunny day, so carrying 6484
Water & food 1000

Thanks you so much, this comes into my dreams
By all means take your makeup, creams, lipsticks, etc. if you want to! It doesn't make you any less of a pilgrim. If the weight of these items becomes an issue, then reduce your selection.

Thank you very much, my excuses: my skin is very sensitive and I can't use water on my face, I would have a big inflamed and cracked face without the cleanser and face cream. Don't know how other people manage without.
Slippy stick is the compeed glide stick
The knife needle thing is the credit card sized victorex knife, scissors needle etc, don't know if I can take it on the plane or get one in Spain
Lighter to sterilize needles in case of blister

Was wondering about the day bag, have a very light silk one I can take instead, but it's not very big. Thanks very much for your help, the sleeping mat has already gone. Ok, just one lipstick

they took my Victorex knife card away at the airport.
Good luck

Drop the lighter - you can't take it on the plane and every other pilgrim will have one

I am a dedicated skirt hiker, and plump & middle-aged as well. These are brilliant - cheap, soft, cool, comfy, lightweight, breathable, and long enough (I'm 5'2", and they hit right above my knees). They have solved all my chafing problems. And they come in 17 colors as well!
http://www.eastbay.com/product/mode...AL SEARCH: KEYWORD SEARCH#sku=6956303&size=XL

I hope skirt/dress hiking becomes more common soon, so fellow hikers will stop asking me if I'm a nun or in a cult......

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have also found compression shorts - hurrah! - and also merino ones with slightly shorter legs, they work really well and help keep me warm, and I can sleep in them too.

There is this wonderful thing that happens to your skin on the Camino. After a few days...your skin plumps up and naturally hydrates and seems to glow. I ended up not needing moisturiser.

Just goes to show how different people's skin can be. My skin positively drank the moisturizer.

Regarding the makeup -- think about whether it may melt. I don't remember if you said when you are walking, but things like lipstick can turn into a gooey mess... On the moisturizer, if you have dry skin issues, I would take a small bottle and plan on getting more along the way. I did not take any when I walked in 2013. When the fronts of my calves where my socks rubbed and my face started to flake and crack I decided that I needed to use some moisturizer. I got something generic in a 3 oz bottle that worked fine for the rest of the walk. I too was happy to get back to my regular things, but the temoporary substitute worked fine. I actually use the bottle I got in spain all the time as its the right size for travel and I fill it with my favorite stuff! Liz

It sounds like you are pretty confident of your style and your comfort. So if that all weighs less than 6.5 kg, you will bring variety from all the standard (i.e. boring) wardrobes such as mine.

My specific suggestions:
  • No sleeping mat. (We had a recent thread here which showed unprecedented forum unanimity that mats are NOT needed.)
  • Take many nappy pins
  • Test whether you like the silk scarves as towels (I prefer a cotton dish towel and/or facecloth)
  • Upgrade your rain wear
Thank you, yes, the silk scarves are crap towels but I take the excess water of first with my nappy liner, which is like a face cloth. I fully intend to buy a poncho there, and may have to duck tape my tourist one if the rain gets me first. Now weighing in at less than 6k, but that's without food and water

I don't use water on my face either---at home. I am also the queen of face creams, so I understand. I promise you that you will not be bothering with make up on your Camino, but if the items are small and you don't mind tossing them out, no biggie. I think that you will begin washing your face in the shower, because any other method is just too cumbersome. Moisturizing face cream? Oh heck yes!!! Especially after that water thing on your face. You can survive without serums and eye creams and lifters for the month and just cream, cream, cream. I took only a small amount of my Estée Lauder and quickly had to replenish with something I had never heard of. It was fine but it was nice to get back to my line up of TEN products. :)

Thank you, yes, the smallest samples I can get, prepared to Chuck if not used

when in doubt - keep it out.
I wished I'd bought things when I got there. They were actually cheaper than in Australia!
The sleeping mat I used for picnics and some mid-day lay downs, but eventually it did go the way of all others. I'm sad about that sometimes... but the first one (my daughter and I had one each) never made it out of Paris... after trudging along on the Metro, the damn thing stunk of urine, so it stayed in the hotel the morning we left for SJ.
I bought my raincoat with all the bells and whistles from SJPP for less than 15Euro - it's still alive and kicking today, 2 years later, and those coats cost in the region of $60AUD here.

Don't fret. You're not going to some backwoods country on a lonely track near the Southern end of Russia. over 350,000 pilgrims a year traverse this track, and there are plenty of traders ready for them. Personally I loved shopping for shampoo, hair ties, etc in their gorgeous little green-crossed farmacias (that you can spot a mile away when you need one!) What a wonderful opportunity to practice your spanish!! You will have the most amazing journey!
Bien Camino

Hey

My lesson from the Camino. ...was....Those tiny tiny items (lipstick extra scarfs) sure to add up. Probably about 2.5kg for me.

Im not a make up wearer. But did tint my lashes before I went. There is this wonderful thing that happens to your skin on the Camino. After a few days...your skin plumps up and naturally hydrates and seems to glow. I ended up not needing moisturiser.
I would suggest chap stick over lippy.

I also only needed sunscreen just around my ankle as I was fully covered everywhere else. After coming from NZ ...it was blissful to not need to apply sunscreen religiously every hour or so.

I agree with everyone elses comments (esp Annie's and SY's).

Its really hard to know what "you" will or wont need before you get there. And most of us have ended up doing the "what was I thinking bringing that" de-clutter exercise. (Mostly around Zubiri )
Its all part of the process. ☺☺☺
Thank you, all my make up weighs les than 50g

Ditch the sleeping mat.
Bring some re-wetting/moisturizing drops (small bottle) for your contacts and a couple of the small (60 ml) travel size bottles of solution for them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ditch the sleeping mat.
Bring some re-wetting/moisturizing drops (small bottle) for your contacts and a couple of the small (60 ml) travel size bottles of solution for them.
Sleeping mat was the first thing to go this after noon, and I have daily disposable contact lenses for this trip, thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@lady danglebury It is fairly easy to find the Victorinox Swiss card in Spain. Outdoor and hiking shops stock them. We will need to buy a new one in Santander as even the ferries have a knife ban now. Although it might just fall within the allowed limit it isn't worth the hassle and risk of losing our old one. Some flights allow these mini blades, others don't and it all depends on the security alert level.

OOH, a fashion show!!! I´ll have to take a look on some travel websites and see what I see. Though my impression was the last time I looked that the weight was nowhere near as little as yours. Thanks, Tia.
And now for today's fashion show. I had rolled it in my rucksack and took it out to put on. It always comes up looking good. I wish they still made them. I have a pale pink shirt which can be worn either under or over it, or just have my arms bare - so plenty of choice. Seen here with the little black vest and silky longjohns with the black sock footwear. :):)

DSCF0002a.JPGDSCF0004a.JPG

Last edited:
@lady danglebury It is fairly easy to find the Victorinox Swiss card in Spain. Outdoor and hiking shops stock them. We will need to buy a new one in Santander as even the ferries have a knife ban now. Although it might just fall within the allowed limit it isn't worth the hassle and risk of losing our old one. Some flights allow these mini blades, others don't and it all depends on the security alert level.
Thanks very much for that info, I'll hang out for getting one in Spain, such a useful thing, can't do without it

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And now for today's fashion show. I had rolled it in my rucksack and took it out to put on. It always comes up looking good. I wish they still made them. I have a pale pink shirt which can be worn either under or over it, or just have my arms bare - so plenty of choice. Seen here with the little black vest and silky longjohns with the black sock footwear. :):)

View attachment 16305View attachment 16306

Excellent Tia, I'm going to try to change my profile pic to one in a dress while walking, I owe it to you. Love how so many people like to walk in skirts and dresses. Walking the camino with a group, all the ladies are taking at least one dress, and one of the men will be walking in a kilt. Such fun

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm a guy who shaves his head and often comments that one doesn't need shampoos and conditioner when a soap that one can do laundry and shower with works for me. So I'm not going to comment on your list other than to say you have received some very good advice from some veteran female posters.
One of the funniest things I saw on the Camino was in Larrasoana when 2 young females pilgrims showed up at the "only" bar in town decked out in heels and fancy dresses like they were out for a night of raging at a disco. Trust me after a week on the Camino you are going to start smelling like a homeless person and the fashion statement will be lost on your fellow pilgrims.
I walked for about a week with two women from the town I live in Florida (quite by accident, we met at Orrison) and we caught up to share Camino stories when I returned here in October. I had never seen them with make-up on and they were just as lovely then as they are now.

I'm a guy who shaves his head and often comments that one doesn't need shampoos and conditioner when a soap that one can do laundry and shower with works for me. So I'm not going to comment on your list other than to say you have received some very good advice from some veteran female posters.
One of the funniest things I saw on the Camino was in Larrasoana when 2 young females pilgrims showed up at the "only" bar in town decked out in heels and fancy dresses like they were out for a night of raging at a disco. Trust me after a week on the Camino you are going to start smelling like a homeless person and the fashion statement will be lost on your fellow pilgrims.
I walked for about a week with two women from the town I live in Florida (quite by accident, we met at Orrison) and we caught up to share Camino stories when I returned here in October. I had never seen them with make-up on and they were just as lovely then as they are now.
Very true. Besides, personally I dig women that look outdoorsy, and feminine. The hiking shorts, shirts, etc is attractive.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And now for today's fashion show. . .

View attachment 16305View attachment 16306
Tia would you please, please, start a thread called "fashion show "where everyone posts photos of one of their favorite hiking outfits, complete with details like brand, weight and what makes the items so great? I would love to read that. It would be so useful, and perhaps even entertaining. I'd start it myself, but I don't have a favorite hiking outfit, which is why I want to see everyone else's.

I am a dedicated skirt hiker, and plump & middle-aged as well. These are brilliant - cheap, soft, cool, comfy, lightweight, breathable, and long enough (I'm 5'2", and they hit right above my knees). They have solved all my chafing problems. And they come in 17 colors as well!
http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:208810/sku:6956303/eastbay-evapor-8-compression-shorts-2.0-mens/blue/black/?cm=GLOBAL SEARCH: KEYWORD SEARCH#sku=6956303&size=XL

I hope skirt/dress hiking becomes more common soon, so fellow hikers will stop asking me if I'm a nun or in a cult......
For those not in the US, minimum shipping charge for thèse indices is 40$.... Pity

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started my Camino the end of May and found it was icy cold and wet, wet, wet. Be prepared for some very cold weather.
Leave the makeup at home. I agree with everyone who has told you to get rid of items.
However . . .
Keep an eye on your pack weight. As long as it is a weight you can comfortably carry over very steep mountains in very bad weather, take all the stuff you want - guitars, bowling balls, high heels, hot rollers, whatever!!
Buen Camino.

My favourite pull-out-of-the-bag magic outfit was a wrap around skirt cut on the cross (so it flared out) and made of beautiful old Sari silk. It weighed nothing. Unfortunately it was too fragile to be constantly pulled in and out of my pack (velco is murder on silk) and it fell apart.

Another man commenting on a lady's list...
- Several items you say will only last you for three days. If you plan to buy top-ups and refills, bear in mind that most things sold in Spanish shops are available in family size only. Better take e.g. a 30g toothpaste tube with you.
- I would not recommend washing your hair with shampoo every day. When it's hot rinse your hair every day and shampoo it no more than twice a week. When it's cold you probably don't need to wet your hair every day. - If you want to save on weight, you could use Kathmandu shampoo and shower "leaflets". Or get one of those soaps that can be used for body, hair and laundry.
- I see you want to take some silk clothing. If and when you sweat, silk is problematic. I use Patagonia thermal underwear.
- You list lipsticks weighing 2 and 3 grammes. Were they designed for miniature barbie dolls? I'd forget about make-up anyway. Take the advice of SYates.
- I agree that you don't need a sleeping mat. As you will be walking in April and May, you won't get into a situation where sleeping outdoors will be either necessary or recommended. And indoors you'll get a bed or at least a matress. Bedbugs make for some of the best stories you can tell when you get home.
- You don't need toilet paper. Paper tissues will do in a rare emergency. Take them with you if you use them outdoors and dispose of them in the next village (I always carry a couple of those small supermarket plastic bags).
- I also carry a mini cigarette lighter. I never manage without blisters, so I need something to sterilise the needle from my mini sowing kit.
- Are you taking a pilgrim pass and a pen?
This is my own packing list (add food and drink):
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-packing-list-for-2015.30270/
BUEN CAMINO!

- Several items you say will only last you for three days. If you plan to buy top-ups and refills, bear in mind that most things sold in Spanish shops are available in family size only. Better take e.g. a 30g toothpaste tube with you.
Absolutetly agree with the issue of packaging size for things like soap, etc. in Spain. I don't understand those who say you can buy supplies en route. While supplies are available, you will pay a lot and waste a lot due to the large sizes.

I do wash my hair daily with shampoo, and also use it to 'properly' wash my clothes, it is in two 100ml bottles. I also have a tiny soap for daily washing of socks and undies. My experience with the soap leaves was that they stuck together and also don't dissolve if the water is cold. Never again. Toothpaste is in a little pot from home. I don't carry a lipstick, but I do have a lipsalve (lipstick style) and could not manage without it. I don't like 'woolly' type of clothing so have tech underwear, but silk gloves which are very good. I also carry a pack of paper hankies and a travel toilet roll (50 sheets, no tube and rolled tight) multiple uses and good if there is no paper provided or it has run out. It takes up very little room and goes in my pocket.

So far I have not had to buy replacements on the Camino, but as noted most bottle available tend to be large sizes and paper hankies come in packs of 10.....
Looking at your weights it would seem that they are good, taking out a few of the items or being prepared to leave them if you find the pack is too heavy would be good too, if you are concerned.

We have a 'spork' each - the plastic version - and they earn their keep. We also carry a Victorinox Swiss card which has mini knife (very sharp), folding scissors, pen, file/screwdriver, pin etc all for about 60gms weight. We will have to buy a new one in Spain as they are no longer permitted on the ferry and are banned in flight cabin baggage on most airlines.

Still working on this year's packing ourselves.
Buen Camino

If you do buy en route you can find things in regular sizes - if you can afford to do this, it does not go to waste. For instance, I squirted toothpaste in a baggie and left the tube behind at an albergue as one example. If I stayed at a hotel, I'd grab up the toiletries and leave them at an albergue for others. There is NEED on a Camino. On the Frances, many young folks getting by on plain spaghetti because it's cheap and fills you up so another way to give back is to purchase extra food and share (if you are able). Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I ran out of shampoo on my walk. So I bought a bottle along the way (cheap but not too cheap), refilled my plastic bottle, and left that large, store bought one in the albergue. I hope another pilgrim was able to use it.

Thank you everybody for your advice and input. I got a bit overwhelmed. Now leaving in 2 days and getting very excited. Pack is around 5 kilos

Looks like your all set. Buen camino!

Btw, if anybody would like to wear a skirt or dress but has chafing issues here are 3 solutions I researched and am trying out with my comfortable Royal Robbins discovery skirt:
Skirtsports shorties - expensive but very comfy and durable
Undersummer - cooler but I'm not that into the lace trim, no seams in chafable area
Jockey skimmies, for women, plain or anti cling - haven't tried these yet

Oh forgot to mention Bandelettes, a wide band of lace design stretchy fabric you wear around your thighs.

I walk in merino wool...EVERYTHING! Merino wool is wonderful, never smells, breathes well, drys quickly. I pack Icebreaker and Ibex skirts with merino Icebreaker Pace Shorts in warm weather and Merino leggings when cold. No chafing :) I definitely chafe without the shorts or leggings. I too have a merino dress but have found that skirts and tops give me more variety for the same weight. I also hike in Chaco's, adding smartwool socks when it is cold (wool toesocks cut down on blisters as they splay your toes properly and prevent blisters between toes). I would stay away from skirts with a fold over waistband as they add bulk under your pack buckle which is uncomfortable. Made that mistake one year. I wouldn't hike any other way as wool tops and skirts are comfortable and attractive. I never feel underdressed when we opt for a nice dinner. Finally, this year I am taking a pair of Sanuk shoe/sandals to give my feet a break when not hiking. They are super lightweight, look nice, and very comfortable :) Buon Camino :)

While the Icebreaker makes lovley items, it has them in limited sizes. Merino, available in larger sizes, at Costco they ITCH. And Merino takes for every to dry. So now I have ditched Merino for comfort and quick drying times, even if I stink when I walk into the albergue. So be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
While the Icebreaker makes lovley items, it has them in limited sizes. Merino, available in larger sizes, at Costco ITCH. And Merino takes for every to dry. So now I have ditched Merino for comfort and quick drying times, even if I stink when I walk into the albergue. So be it.
I'm sorry you didn't have luck with merino. I imagine it might dry less quickly than synthetic materials, but I'll take that over constantly washing the stink out. Smartwool and Ibex carry XS through XL, though they do not carry plus sizes which would limit some hikers, I suppose. Everyone has their own style and what works for them...that's the beauty :) Enjoy.

I suppose. Everyone has their own style and what works for them...that's the beauty :) Enjoy.
Wet sock in the am: no beauty. People on this forum are not always walking in optimal weather on the CF unfortunately.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Euh? Waterproof socks with wool lining? How on earth will that help with drying time? No sock when sunny? Yeah, hello blisters. Yes when wearing sandals, but otherwise, bad advice.
Clearly this combination will not work for you and I never stated that it would work for everyone. This combination, however, works perfectly for me with zero blisters. To each his own, of course, and just for the record...lightweight wool does dry quickly and who only carries one pair of socks? If one happens to still be wet...wear the other pair. Waterproof socks are for the rainiest days to keep feet cozy and dry. I thought this was a forum for pilgrims to provide novel ideas and suggestions based on personal experience, not a place for narrow minds and judgement, Anemone del Camino. I am saddened and disappointed.

Absolutetly agree with the issue of packaging size for things like soap, etc. in Spain. I don't understand those who say you can buy supplies en route. While supplies are available, you will pay a lot and waste a lot due to the large sizes.
I managed to get small bottles en route

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Dear all, as I intent to bring a tent I would be very grateful if you could share some of your tips on how to keep the total weight down or even your own packing list. Currently I am about to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.