• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pocket coin pouch for those EU coins?

I love this little coin purse. It is waterproof, holds just enough coins to remind me to spend them before it gets "too heavy", and fits perfectly in my backpack hip belt. I got mine from Amazon.
They look like the ones that open by squeezing from the long ends. If so, they come in two sizes, but they are not waterproof. Not that waterproof matters with coins. We first got the larger size (from Amazon) but returned them because the force to open them was uncomfortable. Got the smaller size, which work nice but are too small for the number of €2 and smaller I typically had to carry. Even in USA, I find mine filling up frequently.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
OK this is kinda trivial- but it BUGS me so much ..... those EU coins jangling around in my pockets - heavy, damaging the pocket material. So I've decided to bring some type of a pocket-size coin purse or pouch.

OMG there are TONS of them. Buit none seem to be quite right -
Looking for something that is easy to access, small enough to fit in a pants pocket but yet big enough to hold a few EUs worth of coins, lightweight, durable.

Does someone have one that they like? I used zip lock bags the last time and yes they work but they are too big for a few EUs worth of coins and they "gob up" my pockets.
Interesting question. I use a typical money belt that goes around my waist, under my clothes, that I literally wear every minute that I am not in the shower. So many are having issues with pick pockets, getting things stolen from backpacks while they sleep, etc. My belt has a larger opening for passport and bills, and a smaller one for credit cards and coins.

@tomjane40, O agree that your valuables stay safe. I use a waist bag to hold my important things.I own a couple of hidden money belts; one even recommended by Rick Steves, but it ends up feeling damp and sweaty next to my skin if I wear it all day, plus it is not as convenient to access things..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Interesting question. I use a typical money belt that goes around my waist, under my clothes, that I literally wear every minute that I am not in the shower. So many are having issues with pick pockets, getting things stolen from backpacks while they sleep, etc. My belt has a larger opening for passport and bills, and a smaller one for credit cards and coins.
I wore that kind of money belt when I was spending six months backpacking around Europe and the Middle East as a teenager a few years ago. But then I was carrying all my money for the six months with me (in the form of travellers cheques).* For those in the audience under a certain age, travellers cheques were backed by the bank allowing them to be spent more or less like cash, but if they were lost or stolen, you could recover the money (although not until you returned home, I think). I really didn't want to lose them all.

On Camino, I am carrying a lot less money. I'm willing to take the risks rather than reach inside my waistband every time I want to buy something.

*As a side note: It was signing those six months worth of travellers cheques all at once that turned my once legible signature into an illegible scrawl.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back